• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally finished watching all four seasons of Spartacus (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As the title says: "SPOILERS"

So I finally finished watching all four seasons of Spartacus. Overall I think they did a pretty decent job, and it was surprisingly accurate historically (well, in the areas that mattered most I guess).

The fight choreography was pretty great for the most part, but I really disliked the slow motion shit ( Sorry, that was tolerable in 300, but that stuff's been played out). The show is remarkably brutal and gritty, and there is no shortage of fucked up scenes that occur.

One thing I liked about this show is that pretty much every character is an absolute piece of shit, save Spartacus, the widow he was banging at the end of the season, Varro, Pietros, Gannicus, Mira, Kore, Agron, and Nassir. Pretty much everyone is a cruel, sadistic lowlife and as the series go on, many of them keep proving how awful they are. They literally kill people on a whim, and the concept of human life is a joke.

While I enjoyed the show overall and was entertained throughout, I wouldn't exactly say I have any attachment towards it. I don't really care for excessively violent and gritty shows. Good enough to watch, mind you, but not good enough to consider myself a fan. I much prefer Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert's previous works, Hercules and Xena (only up to season 4 of course).

Some random thoughts:

- Andy Whitfield was probably the better Spartacus, but Liam (whatever) had a better physique.
- Lucy Lawless' boobs hold up pretty well (heh)
- Didn't like how Crixus was acting like a subservient wienie in Gods of the Arena, only to turn into an arrogant asshole in Blood and Sands.
- The final battle between Spartacus and Crassus was very underwhelming. Crassus was totally outclassed.
- Why did Caeser not face Gannicus mano a mano? He shows great confidence in his own skills throughout the season only to cheat his way to victory at the end?
- The way Varro died was really dumb.
- Crixus was tapping Xena and yet was all over Naevia? Dude has awful taste
- Speaking of Naevia, I know that she suffered immensely when she was sold off, but I still can't help but feel she became totally unlikable. Dunno if that makes me a bad person.

Sober

One of the themes of the series is people doing shit because they have no other recourse or are fucked because of their position in society. Sure, they seem shitty (all the characters really) but they all have some redeeming value.

Also
- The way Varro died was really dumb.
It was but it was perfectly executed when you consider the amount of plotting involved from all parties.

- Why did Caeser not face Gannicus mano a mano? He shows great confidence in his own skills throughout the season only to cheat his way to victory at the end?
That was the point. Romans gonna Roman. Also the imagery of someone being surrounded and stabbed to death.

- Speaking of Naevia, I know that she suffered immensely when she was sold off, but I still can't help but feel she became totally unlikable. Dunno if that makes me a bad person.
I was personally fine with Naevia killing Ashur, really. Dunno why everyone was so whiny about it.

Also Agron and Nasir are the best. Best part is the gay couple isn't treated like it was some stupid thing. They fight just as well, they refused to run off even when they were told to, they save Spartacus and they survive up to the end. Progressive as fuck if you ask me.

She went from being a character you cared about to being the one character you wanted dead. I cheered when she died.

I think it had more to do with the fact that the person they chose to replace the original actress is simply horrendous at acting.

Crixus got really annoying for a period of time but towards the end became awesome again. His last scene is one of the best in the series too

Van Owen

Banned
- Andy Whitfield was probably the better Spartacus, but Liam (whatever) had a better physique.

lol what?

I'm not even sure we watched the same show. You're confused how Spartacus outclassed Crassus in combat or why Ceasar didn't want to fight the best gladiator on the show by himself?

Oblivion

lol what?

What? Compare them side by side, Liam's muscles look bigger and are better defined. Whitfield didn't even have much of a six pack.

You're confused how Spartacus outclassed Crassus in combat

Confused? No. Disappointed.

or why Ceasar didn't want to fight the best gladiator on the show by himself?

Honor? Caesar himself being the best Roman warrior?

Sober

Caesar has never been a warrior historically. Even when they buffed him in the show, he's not supposed to be able to stand up to any of the gladiators one-on-one. Gannicus only lost because he was swarmed.

They made it a point that Crassus got trained by a gladiator because standard Roman tactics (or most military tactics in antiquity) were glorified shoving matches with different pointy things. Gladiator combat is drastically different from that. Even Ashur, ostensibly the worst fucking gladiator trumped a squad of Legionnaries with a training sword.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Crassus is a middle aged Roman general/aristocrat with some training in martial combat. Spartacus is a trained gladiator and a champion. Gladiators are trained (often as slaves) for years, every day, every hour, to fight one on one and win. Roman patricians aren't. So why would you be disappointed? Crassus put up a pretty good fight, especially with that sword trick near the end. I would be disappointed if he suddenly went nuts and started fighting like Gannicus--it would be way out of character.

Caesar is a roman soldier with ambitions above potentially dying to a trained gladiator in 1v1 combat in the midst of a battlefield. It would probably be more dishonorable to a Roman to be caught fighting a common gladiator, a slave. There's no shame in winning a battle and then executing a traitor/slave who killed hundreds of Romans, why honor him with a duel?

fanboi

Banned
What? Compare them side by side, Liam's muscles look bigger and are better defined. Whitfield didn't even have much of a six pack.

1) What I remember is that Andy was much more buff compared to Liam, first reaction when Liam was on screen for the first time anyway.

2) Spartacus was the best Gladiator, of course it would be a one sided affair.

3) Same here.

fushi

I really need to finish this. I was really into the show at first, but somehow dropped off in the middle of the last season (didn't really care for the whole stuck-in-a-city plotline).

It's amazing how they managed to make a show that one could so easily write off as trite macho bullshit into such a compelling character drama.

Hystzen

Gannicus is a massive bro the dude had sex during a fucking blizzard that killed lots of people.

The reason the Romans never fought one on one was due to fact gladiators are trained for that. Which why in groups they go down easy they not trained to handle group attacks so backs are exposed

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
tumblr_m2h7zkAI5D1qlw52e.png

C'mon son

Idde

Wtf is this madness? Prequel season is arguably the best season!

Yes! The prequel did so much right. Made Gannicus a complete badass, introduced Crixus, Batiatus' scheming was cool as usual and Gaia was...hot. To say the least. Awesome fights up the wazoo.

I'd rate the seasons: Gods of the Arena -> Blood and Sand = War of the Damned -> Vengeance. Vengeance was a real let down, and I was pleasantly surprised by the final season. Both Crassus and Ceasar were cunning sympathetic characters, though both had their flaws. And it was good to see Crixus get out of his stupid onedimensional rage mode in the end, induced by shitty shitty Neavia. She should have died much sooner. Much sooner.

Cronox

Banned
Great show, finished it recently myself. To OP, most of your random thoughts are pretty well explained if you read interviews or listen to commentaries on episodes. I agree that Naevia really went downhill after season 1, but I'll credit the show that after all the times I hoped she would die, when she finally did I still felt bad for her. The same can be said of many reprehensible characters on the show, and it's one of the show's greatest strengths. Coming out of season 1, I never would have thought I'd be anything less than happy to see Ilithyia die a horrible death, but there I was feeling sorry for her by the last episodes of season 2.

Also, the fight scenes in this series have spoiled me bad. After finishing the series I watched the last Thor movie and was completely meh on the action. The choreography and energy (roars and all) of the fight scenes is top class. And the series knew how to use its action and sex scenes as dramatic story-telling, something few shows or movies seem to know how to do outside of Game of Thrones.

Semi-real edit: the way Varro died was bad in that moment, but great stuff by the head writer (DeKnight). Starting from about episode 5 or 6 of the first season to season finale, the end of every episode is just like... well, damn... Amazing cliffhangers. I'm glad I didn't watch it as it aired, or the wait between episodes would have been too torturous.

Oblivion

I realize Crassus is a middle aged plutocrat who might not have enough fighting experience, but he was the final boss, dang it. He needed to be tougher. Yes, it might not be historically accurate, but come on. The show takes some creative liberties already, so they should have done so for the final battle as well.

As for Caesar, the guy went into that city that the slaves held by himself, and fought Agron one on one. And when the city was captured, he took on that one slave in front of everyone in an attempt to prove his fighting prowess. So it's not like he hasn't ever fought anyone on his own, which is why it seemed strange that he would let the grunts do all the hard work for him, even if it was a God of the Arena.

Cronox

Banned
I realize Crassus is a middle aged plutocrat who might not have enough fighting experience, but he was the final boss, dang it. He needed to be tougher. Yes, it might not be historically accurate, but come on. The show takes some creative liberties already, so they should have done so for the final battle as well.

As for Caesar, the guy went into that city that the slaves held by himself, and fought Agron one on one. And when the city was captured, he took on that one slave in front of everyone in an attempt to prove his fighting prowess. So it's not like he hasn't ever fought anyone on his own, which is why it seemed strange that he would let the grunts do all the hard work for him, even if it was a God of the Arena.

Crassus was established as a good fighter, but from his introduction, his mind was always going to be his first weapon. You know, originally they had written it so that his trick worked and he stabbed Spartacus. It's pretty crazy how many great moments of the show were decided in the filming or right before.

Caesar is a bit brash, but he's not stupid. Surrounded by friendly troops, there's no reason for him to commit himself one on one.

In the end, the trinity of Spartacus, Gannicus and Crixus had been built up too high. They couldn't be beaten in a fair fight. Crixus was sacrificed to make us hate Crassus' kid more, but we'd already seen him get beaten up. Spartacus and Gannicus were basically unbeatable, and to show a Roman opponent beating them fair and square would have been unsatisfying for invested viewers. They are all taken down from behind (the "coward's way"), and by superior numbers. That was the strength of Rome. The finale was great for it, as it was something of a "victory" for all sides. Spartacus becomes an immortalized symbol, yet his army is dead or dying, Crassus has lost everything he held most dear, and he and Caesar are no closer to power than before because of Pompey stepping in to claim credit... Everyone has lost, and everyone has won. Great stuff.

aku:jiki

This is probably my favorite show ever. I came for the titties and violence, stayed for the actually fantastic writing and plotting. Batiatus is one of the best villains ever.

The ending of the first season is the most satisfying thing I've ever seen in a show. Damn near impossible not to jump out of your couch and fist pump and cheer like an idiot.

Wat. No just no bro
He's half right. Gannicus is a cool dude but he fucked his best friend's wife and ruined their marriage. Varro was a true bro.

Idde

He's half right. Gannicus is a cool dude but he fucked his best friend's wife and ruined their marriage. Varro was a true bro.

He willingly lost to Crixus in the show match, so he would be sold of to Vettius, in stead of going after Melitta. He couldn't do that to Oenomaus. And it doesn't get more bro than that! Plus he hooked up with Sybill, the woman/girl with the best body in the entire show. And that's saying a lot.

Oblivion

Why exactly does everyone hate Vengeance? I mean, I don't hold any attachment for it, but I don't know if there was anything particularly bad about it. (course it's been a while since I've seen it)

Dude they couldn't have gannicus lose in a fair fight. Don't you get it? It's fucking gannicus.

There's a million ways around this though. For example, you could have them fight and make it seem like they're evenly matched until the very end, when Gannicus
gets hit by an arrow or a rock or something by a random Roman soldier.

params7

Banned
Spartacus is my all time favorite TV show of all times. With Deadwood in a close second.

Andy Whitfield's death was tragic. I was so happy when I heard he was recovering at Comic-Con. But they rescued the show with Gods Of The Arena and Dustin Clare/Gannicus. To me, he was the one who carried the torch from Andy Whitfield and he did it exceptionally well. Though Liam McIntyre made Spartacus his own role by season 3 and I enjoyed him too.

Liam charging at Marcus Crassus on the hills in the series finale was just as epic as the shield jump Whitfield made in S1 finale.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Love the show, such a blast. That finale was incredible and the after credits, "I am Spartacus" from Andy brought a huge smile to my face.

As for physique, I Andy seemed more defined *shrug*:

gQACGWl.jpg

Fwiw, Liam was a good fill-in, as it went on he got more comfortable with the role.

params7

Banned
Love the show, such a blast. That finale was incredible and the after credits, "I am Spartacus" from Andy brought a huge smile to my face.

As for physique, I Andy seemed more defined *shrug*:

gQACGWl.jpg

Fwiw, Liam was a good fill-in, as it went on he got more comfortable with the role.

Yep Andy packed more muscle mass, which is amazing given he only got into acting late into his twenties, he was working as a mechanical engineer before. Liam bulked up by season 3 to get on Andy's level.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I loved what the writers did with Tiberius, that little shit was so hateable. Is it weird that I kinda liked the later seasons of Spartacus better than the original season? Seemed like they managed to create a more coherent vision of what they wanted to achieve. I can understand that the first season is better television in many regards, but I feel like all of the cool stuff happened in the later seasons, with the exception of the original finale episode(s)

Madness

Started watching it last Friday, just finished it a little while ago. I agree, Andy Whitfield was the better Spartacus. I just couldn't look at the character the same. I really liked the first season and the prequel. The best part about this show was how each episode had me hooked and how some things would come out of left field. Definitely had some of the best and most nuanced villains ever in a television show. You could hate and loathe them, and yet feel sorry for them at times.

When I first started the show, I was wondering why so many Samoans, and Maori type characters were on the show, and then I read it was filmed in New Zealand. Will agree with Naevia. Went from liking the character to disliking her immensely. Just the way she was acting, as if she was the only one who suffered at the hands of Romans.

Some of the action was crazy and intense at times. The finales were really great, I wish there was a bit more about what happened directly after, maybe see something about Caesar and Crassus back in Rome. Apparently they were thinking of a Caesar spinoff which could have worked.

Show definitely had the hottest women I've ever seen though. Sura, Mira, especially Saxa (one of the finest women I've ever seen). All in all, was a great and entertaining show with solid writing.

I really wish they would have done the Caesar spinoff. There was a lot of hype surrounding the idea when Spartacus ended, but I don't know where it stands now. I'm glad they even acknowledged the fact it could maybe be possible because Caesar was an excellent character and they could easily pull off a season or two about him.

First season was extremely good.

Miniseries (prequel) was also very good.

Second season was meh. Even though things happened, they moved slow. New lead actor was pretty bad and had the personality of my sofa. Gannicus started taking the lead, Crixus was becoming kind of a pussy, and there were more new characters without any real contribution/

Third season started off just as bad, but the second half really took off. If it were Andy at that finale and final scene, the internet would have cried for years to come.

Piccoro

So I finally finished watching all four seasons of Spartacus. Overall I think they did a pretty decent job, and it was surprisingly accurate historically (well, in the areas that mattered most I guess).

The fight choreography was pretty great for the most part, but I really disliked the slow motion shit ( Sorry, that was tolerable in 300, but that stuff's been played out). The show is remarkably brutal and gritty, and there is no shortage of fucked up scenes that occur.

The slow motion parts add to the suspense and violence of the series, one of the best features of Spatacus IMO.
One thing I liked about this show is that pretty much every character is an absolute piece of shit, save Spartacus, the widow he was banging at the end of the season, Varro, Pietros, Gannicus, Mira, Kore, Agron, and Nassir. Pretty much everyone is a cruel, sadistic lowlife and as the series go on, many of them keep proving how awful they are. They literally kill people on a whim, and the concept of human life is a joke.
That is historically accurate, there was no respect for human life in those days (see slavery, for example). And the Romans are much more unlikable in that show.
While I enjoyed the show overall and was entertained throughout, I wouldn't exactly say I have any attachment towards it. I don't really care for excessively violent and gritty shows. Good enough to watch, mind you, but not good enough to consider myself a fan. I much prefer Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert's previous works, Hercules and Xena (only up to season 4 of course).
Comparing Spartacus to Xena is just wrong... I don't even know what to say. :(
I guess Spartacus is not recommended to impressionable people. You should just keep watching fantasy, unrealistic series IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom