• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Financial Times] Why Japan Should Sell Nintendo - A sale of one of its crown jewels could be transformative for the country

There are two reasons why, however hard it is to imagine the pathway to that event, a sale process of Nintendo would be transformative — not least because it might convince consolidation-resistant Japanese companies to seek scale and protection through mergers.

The first is that for Japan as a whole, the intensely high profile of a Nintendo sale would finally crystallise the sense of how undervalued many of its crown jewels really are — and how many smaller jewels are being sold to private equity and others at bargain prices. Microsoft would merely be one of many potential buyers: it is easy to imagine Disney or Apple stepping in, followed quickly by Google and Sony. Activision's deal valuation would look small by comparison.

But the greater reason is that Japan may itself need the sort of moment that it foisted on the US in 1989 when Sony bought Columbia Pictures. That acquisition, in all its boldness and ferocity of ambition, was disruptive in a way that was ultimately as valuable to a then-chagrined Hollywood as it was to Japan's sense of achievement.

Disruption is not something that an individual company or a market tends to wish upon itself, but there is a risk that Japan's stock market has painted itself into a corner where only disruption will do. Until this actually comes, the country could do worse than think about how positive a disruptive Nintendo sale might be.

The opinion piece on FT is paywalled so I'll post this snapshot instead:

ft_nintendo.png

ToadMan

After this "bounce back" year for MS Xbox.

Redfall - awful
Starfield - below mediocre
Forza - Redfall with cars

And they want to send more successful studios and developers there to die?

Just no.

This has got to stop now, not be pushed harder. MS are not positive for this industry. They've given up trying to make quality products at all.

This article should be a demand for MS getting out of gaming, not buying up more of it.

Jinzo Prime

The opinion piece on FT is paywalled so I'll post this snapshot instead:

ft_nintendo.png
Zero fucking logic, just sell it as a form of shock therapy???

Get rid of your factory of soft power to unlock shareholder value is the most neocon/neolib corporatist bullshit I've heard in a long time.

Fuck off.

Ginzeen

Banned
lmaoo. FT is on one. Only way Nintendo sells, if their business is in the shitter.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Well if its written by and/or approved by Phil himself then yeh, it probably is his career moment.

More care and passion went into this article than anything else they've put out this year.
I cant wait for MS to leak the email proving you right. Embarrassing article and whoever was the clown to approve this right before the ABK and CMA decision, congratulations on being a useless fuck

Woopah

I don't get the argument here. That Nintendo's shareholders should push for Nintendo to seek an acquisition, because it might benefit Japan's stock market as a whole?

Top Bottom