• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Financial Times] Why Japan Should Sell Nintendo - A sale of one of its crown jewels could be transformative for the country

Pedro Motta

Is the author of this article fucking retarded?

Anthony Bourdain Yes GIF by Ovation TV

What a ridiculous article. I can just imagine the lobbyists who are rubbing their hands in glee at the thought about getting their influence into Nintendo's output. Nintendo's core culture and heritage would get compromised by western investment managers/bankers.

This article reeks of some kind of manipulative intent.

Fabieter

Human greed is endless. No there is no need for japan to sell nintendo. And everyone arguing can't be taken seriously.

supernova8

Banned
not least because it might convince consolidation-resistant Japanese companies to seek scale and protection through mergers.
Lol fucking what mate Japan has so many monopolies and oligopolies. There's hardly any genuine competition because almost every industry is controlled by two or three equally gigantic companies.

There's been so much bid-rigging, price-fixing, emissions faking shit coming out of Japan in the last year or so, which is precisely because they're all essentially working together to shaft the consumer. Fuck them all.

Last edited:

Three

I don't get the argument here. That Nintendo's shareholders should push for Nintendo to seek an acquisition, because it might benefit Japan's stock market as a whole?
No, for a an "intellectual experiment" obviously. Much like the "thought experiment" businessmen love dabbling in philosophy.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looks how thirsty they get after the success of the Mario movie.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It kinda makes sense from an investor standpoint I suppose as it would provide additional ways for them to make money by making the stock price balloon. But in every other aspect... just no.

The real truth is that Nintendo's enduring success is a stark reminder of MS' failures in gaming despite expending ungodly amounts of cash to try and buy market leadership.

old-parts

The likes of MS, Disney or Apple would run Nintendo into the ground.

Thats what the author of this article doesn't understand and thinks that American mega corps would automatically be good stewards of Nintendo and wouldn't fundamentally alter the work culture of Nintendo (they would).

Woopah

The likes of MS, Disney or Apple would run Nintendo into the ground.

Thats what the author of this article doesn't understand and thinks that American mega corps would automatically be good stewards of Nintendo and wouldn't fundamentally alter the work culture of Nintendo (they would).
From what I can see in the article, there's no argument from the author that this would be good for Nintendo or that a megacorp would be a good steward.

It's just "shocking thing should happen because Japan stock market needs a shock". The impact on Nintendo isn't discussed.

Boss Mog

This sounds like a write-up by some delusional fanboy. There's literally laws in Japan that prevent big Japanese companies from being bought by foreign companies.

Some capitalist wankers really have a hard on for megacorps, mergers and ruling the world, loving that idea of "creating" "value" through those weird wall street monopoly theater, which usually ends up in bankrupt corporate identities and lost jobs, so any sane regular person and also goverments that is not entirely corrupt (lobbied to death) should oppose that game of the upper echelons of finance.

Lunarorbit

What a dumb article. Seriously.

I thought this was the financial times? Almost no analysis, just guessing that the deal would be transformative and maybe other businesses would sell in Japan to outsiders.

Divorced from reality. So all those high quality brands from Japan I buy like Mikata and Honda motors for small equipment would be totally destroyed. Good idea

Top Bottom