• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Financial Times] Why Japan Should Sell Nintendo - A sale of one of its crown jewels could be transformative for the country

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Financial Times and Microsoft:

jake gyllenhaal GIF

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
After this "bounce back" year for MS Xbox.

Redfall - awful
Starfield - below mediocre
Forza - Redfall with cars

And they want to send more successful studios and developers there to die?

Just no.

This has got to stop now, not be pushed harder. MS are not positive for this industry. They've given up trying to make quality products at all.

This article should be a demand for MS getting out of gaming, not buying up more of it.
Yep. History shows that MS is more likely to run studios and franchises into the ground than prop them up. The fact that they continue to allow incompetent morons like Matt Booty keep their job is beyond me.

I'm likely wrong (and many will tell me this), but I believe that Starfield will eventually get released on PS5 after MS realizes that Starfield barely moved the needle in terms of getting new subscribers for Gamepass and/or console sales. It's too early too tell what the actual effect Starfield has on Xbox, but so far I have seen no indication that it has moved the needle. If it had, MS would be screaming through the rooftops. So far, the best PR has been "player counts".

Last edited:

GHG

Last edited:

DosGamer

The more I think about this view, the more I think its impossible. I dont think they could afford Nintendo. All of the intellectual properties alone would have to be included such as Mario and Zelda... otherwise its a loss....

But no way can you just buy all of that ... it would be worth literally hundreds of billions and up....

TheUsual

Gold Member
Give Nintendo IP to those who want to cater to "modern audiences". Hell no and stay the fuck away. Look at our current sea of endless mindrot garbage and thats what they will do to Nintendo.

Cyberpunkd

The more I think about this view, the more I think its impossible. I dont think they could afford Nintendo.
Nintendo has a market cap of $50 billion, which is lower than what Microsoft is paying for ABK (which as of right now stands at $75 billion). So yes, they could buy them if allowed. But they won't be. In general even after decades Americans are clueless about doing business in other countries as evidences by Nintendo's reaction to Phil Spencer proposal to buy them:

“Steve made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired,” added Kevin Bachus, Xbox’s then director of third-party relations. “They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.”

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Not retarded. Dishonest shill.
Not to sure about this : to suggest that Nintendo should sell to Ms is something that a dishonest shill would say, to suggest that Disney could up their offer, when in the near future they will probably need to liquidate a lot of assets just to continue repay the debt they contracted buying Fox, it's pretty retarded.

Ansphn

Just stop with this B.S. They act like Nintendo isn't already a behemoth and Japan is a small country with a miniscule GDP.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

FT wants Japan to sell Nintendo so that other Japanese companies might know their real value.

I don't think they need a jolt to remind how valuable they are if someone comes up knocking for them to buy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm not even much of a fan of Nintendo these days but an article like this requires some pitchforks. Get ready boys, we ride at dawn!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Similar to how WaPo is a mouthpiece for the CIA, the FT is a mouthpiece for international banking. They see Nintendo as a big golden goose out there in the Orient, and they imagine doing to it the same thing they did to the golden geese in the west - kill them and extract the short-term profits. It would be a huge business opportunity for the bankers and put all this property under western (read: their) control.

Last edited:

rnlval

Similar to how WaPo is a mouthpiece for the CIA, the FT is a mouthpiece for international banking. They see Nintendo as a big golden goose out there in the Orient, and they imagine doing to it the same thing they did to the golden geese in the west - kill them and extract the short-term profits. It would be a huge business opportunity for the bankers and put all this property under western control.
Intervention in social media is a 'big government" politically driven intervention.

This article is retarded. Some kind of silly fantasy. Nintendo is still kicking butt and making money hand over fist, why in the world should they sell? "Proving that their brand is undervalued by selling it" has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Now if we are talking about Square Enix or Sega then its different. Those two companies have some of the best IP in the world, and yet they continually make bad decisions or lose money. I keep hoping they will turn around their management like Capcom did, but after so many years of mediocre decision making I'm not so sure.

John Wick

Fuck off with this shit. Nintendo is Japanese and needs to stay that way. It would lose everything that makes it Nintendo if an American company bought it.

Top Bottom