• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Financial Times] Why Japan Should Sell Nintendo - A sale of one of its crown jewels could be transformative for the country

What technology would you have liked them to use in a $299 hybrid in early 2017? Or would have preferred them to release a higher priced device?
My point is i don't, I doubt an external party would focus on portable hardware like nintendo does and would push the focus to a traditional model i.e pc and console. Nintendo going portable only was when I lost intrest in the majority of their properties due to a lack of scope or the need to sacrifice performance for scope.

Woopah

My point is i don't, I doubt an external party would focus on portable hardware like nintendo does and would push the focus to a traditional model i.e pc and console. Nintendo going portable only was when I lost intrest in the majority of their properties due to a lack of scope or the need to sacrifice performance for scope.
That's fair enough! I do think Nintendo would need to be acquired for it to not focus on its own hardware.

That's fair enough! I do think Nintendo would need to be acquired for it to not focus on its own hardware.
Yea, lets put sakurai on an rpg, give motokura a fuck you budget. What could Fujibayashi do with out technical restraints? Want to see how they could push the industry beyond a niche market.

Woopah

Yea, lets put sakurai on an rpg, give motokura a fuck you budget. What could Fujibayashi do with out technical restraints? Want to see how they could push the industry beyond a niche market.
With games becoming more scaleable, it should be less of an issue with Switch 2. As it'll be between PS4 and PS5 in power, and I haven't seen the current generation having had much impact on game design.

LakeOf9

The Switch has sold more than the PS5 and Xbox Series put together. If it’s “niche” then the entire high end console market if a pixel sized crumb of the market not worth fighting over.

The Switch has sold more than the PS5 and Xbox Series put together. If it’s “niche” then the entire high end console market if a pixel sized crumb of the market not worth fighting over.
Well pc has a higher install base than all three companies and every nintendo game skips the platform so by all intensive purposes it is more niche...but maybe niche isn't the right work for it.

LakeOf9

Well pc has a higher install base than all three companies and every nintendo game skips the platform so by all intensive purposes it is more niche...but maybe niche isn't the right work for it.
Yeah, niche is not the right word, that’s all I’m arguing against. You want to say Nintendo should try to appeal to a bigger market, I agree, I’m there with you. But Nintendo is not niche. The Switch is going to be (at least) the third bestselling system of all time (and could go up higher). It’s sold over a billion units of software. Multiple Nintendo games on Switch have sold over 30 million (!) units. Can their market be even bigger? Sure, why not. But it’s already bigger than any other traditional player in the industry, and I think they’re fine with that especially since it gives them a level of freedom and control that the rest of the industry simply doesn’t have the luxury of.

proandrad

Microsoft has nothing to do with that article.
Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Tams

It does make some sense, the writer is talking about stock market values of every company on the Japanese stock exchange, not just the sale of Nintendo.

Author's advice on how to improve your economy:

Sell all your most valuable companies to investors from other countries.

It's prime global capitalism and completely expected from the Financial Times, but that doesn't make it any less pernacious and disgusting.

Guy should be barred from entering Japan for life. Oh, and as FT are owned by Nikkei, just plain fired.

Drell

I’d love to see Nintendo in the hands of another company because their lack of a want to push any kind of technical aspects of their games makes it so it’s hard for me to get excited for their games. They’ve stuck with the same design philosophy for their marquee games and for me, someone who didn’t grow up on Nintendo , it rarely speaks to me. I’d love to see them utilize modern GPUs and engines. Their creative teams are hampered by a lack of technological freedom.
"I'm a graphic whore so I want them to be bought"

Scotty W

Gold Member
LJSVaV0.jpg

This reminds me of what SBF said about Shakespeare. These people view culture like a food corporation. If Burger King buys Tim Horton, they can sell donuts and coffee.

Nintendo is worthless without the people making the creative decisions. Think about Mario himself. The product of a series of arbitrary and ad hoc decisions, he is probably the uncoolest character in games. And yet he is the greatest, because of the creativity lavished on him. Once Miyamoto no longer control him, he is noting but a decaying skin suit.

"I'm a graphic whore so I want them to be bought"
Graphics don't matter so much, but performance does...botw for example ran like crap because of its scope. Keep the same art style, improve the performance and resolution and AA...we moving in the right direction.

• Morita's assertions

• American business

• American business focuses too much on money games like mergers and acquisitions, and not enough on creating real goods and manufacturing power.

• American business focuses too much on short-term profits, such as moving manufacturing overseas, while sacrificing long term overall livelihood.

• American company executives receive too much income, which hurts their companies.

• Employees in Japanese companies form a tight community, so overall results are better.

• The trade surplus with the U.S. is caused by the lack of desirable products made in the U.S.

• U.S. businesses are strong in basic research, but not in product development and marketing.

• It is natural for the Japanese government to protect Japanese businesses, as it relies on their tax revenue.

Translator's Note: Akio Morita is well known for being the co-founder of Sony

Last edited:
I do not believe Japan would allow Nintendo to be sold. And if by some miracle it did happen, I could only see Apple acquiring Nintendo, or a possible Nintendo & Disney merger. I can not imagine anyone else owning Nintendo at this time.

It would not be transformative. It would at best have a short term impact (possibly negatively)

Japan is in the same economic nose dive as all the countries that listened to the “experts” and undertook MMT.

The sale of a single company without an accompanying change of monetary policy is never going to have a meaningful impact.

PSYGN

The Japanese would sooner sell their company to another Japanese company than give themselves up to a large American zombie corporation that continues to find new ways of cannibalizing on its own products and customers just to fatten the wallets of its C-suite and investors.

Drell

Graphics don't matter so much, but performance does...botw for example ran like crap because of its scope. Keep the same art style, improve the performance and resolution and AA...we moving in the right direction.
You can already run it better on PC if you want 4k60... Just saying

Tams

Yeah didn’t y’all sell off Tetley and Jaguar and Land Rover and stuff

And many more, including fucking Cadbury's!

Who were bought in a hostile takeover that our government did nothing about. Also Cobham, who are an important defence company. A defence company!

There was even an attempt at a hostile takeover of AstraZeneca.

Tg89

Lmao what is this yankee propaganda?

Microsoft buying Nintendo would easily be the worst thing that's happened to the industry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom