• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Engage Announced | Nintendo Direct

Draugoth

Gold Member

FcimxAfXkAE4Od9
Fcim4rKXEAMymLm

Fcimv1qXkAMA1Yl
Fcimz6-XwAEEUKK

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
wait i thought they just release 1 fire emblem games not long ago ?

Thats very fast for another one

tmlDan

I thought this show would have nothing for me but im excited.

Hopefully its more polished than the mess that 3 houses was.

Jsisto

Not feeling this at all. Main character looks awful and I’m not really a fan of the whole “heroes from other realms” thing. I’d much prefer a new original story with exclusively new characters. We all know Morth. We get it. Time to move on.

Id really love remakes of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn though. Best fire emblem games and in general amazing strategy rpgs without any of the unnecessary gimmicks of more modern fire emblems.

Rykan

It really depends on how this games shapes up. If this another Three houses, where 2/3rd of the game is "socializing" and doing stupid chores, then pass. If this is a proper FE game, then I'll certainly pick it up. Designer for the main character should consider a different career.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
So another "oh no, animu in my soup" thread... I mean, I can understand the very stylish design not being liked a lot, but "all same faces" is something you could probably say about any western game or old fire emblem game lol

Fbh

Looks interesting, I like the art style more than 3 Houses.
But I won't get hyped until they confirm it's not full of annoying anime highschool relationship crap (or at least that most of it is entirely optional and doesn't affect gameplay).

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not feeling this at all. Main character looks awful and I’m not really a fan of the whole “heroes from other realms” thing. I’d much prefer a new original story with exclusively new characters. We all know Morth. We get it. Time to move on.

Id really love remakes of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn though. Best fire emblem games and in general amazing strategy rpgs without any of the unnecessary gimmicks of more modern fire emblems.
For better or for worse, those "gimmicks" are what make Fire Emblem sell these days, the problem is not the "gimmicks" because I LOVED the 3DS games, the problem is how on 3H they feel like an obstacle to enjoy the main game, like I have to decide if I want to do school shit to improve my characters or have an actual fight... Cannot I just have combat whenever I feel so or at least do both since combat is the reason I like FE? I feel constantly interrupted by stuff I most not interested in in this game... I like characters, story, monastery, etc. I like everything but the fact I'm choosing between fight or do school stuff feels like the game doesn't want me to play it...

So another "oh no, animu in my soup" thread... I mean, I can understand the very stylish design not being liked a lot, but "all same faces" is something you could probably say about any western game or old fire emblem game lol
Tag me lol and don’t tell me that same-face isn’t a thing with modern weeb anime art styles

Last edited:

Fbh

For better or for worse, those "gimmicks" are what make Fire Emblem sell these days, the problem is not the "gimmicks" because I LOVED the 3DS games, the problem is how on 3H they feel like an obstacle to enjoy the main game, like I have to decide if I want to do school shit to improve my characters or have an actual fight... Cannot I just have combat whenever I feel so or at least do both since combat is the reason I like FE? I feel constantly interrupted by stuff I most not interested in in this game... I like characters, story, monastery, etc. I like everything but the fact I'm choosing between fight or do school stuff feels like the game doesn't want me to play it...

Awakening did it perfectly.
It was first and foremost still a classic Fire Emblem game focused on the combat. The whole relationship stuff was more of a side mechanic, the interactions were mostly brief and the whole gimmick with the kids traveling back in time and joining the battle was pretty fun.

Three Houses just went way too much into the whole relationship/bonds crap to the point it turned into half the game. As much as I'd like a more classic experience I know they need the anime crap to sell, I just hope they do it more like Awakening

Last edited:

Jsisto

Exactly why I never finished 3 houses. The first time I never finished a fire emblem, in fact.

Pejo

Gold Member
So I rewatched the trailer, and it did show quite a bit of running around the fortress. I hope that's just taking a menu based system of buying/upgrading stuff and making it more immersive instead of bringing back chores from 3H. I don't mind if the characters are there and you can interact with them, but I don't want the calendar system back at all...

Shifty1897

Looks great aside from the main character design, which looks like if a Fell Dragon ate Roy and Marth and then vomited.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Tag me lol and don’t tell me that same-face isn’t a thing with modern weeb anime art styles
The thing is that that criticism should be held by pre-awakening games too and no one said shit until they saw more modern stuff and got into an "old is intrinsically better" position suddenly just because of anime hating (like the game wasn't anime before)

Jsisto

Oh boy, just heard them mention in good vibes gaming’s direct reaction that the main character has “joycon” hair and it’s so obvious now. That’s certainly a choice….

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It feels like there's more Fire Emblem coming out than Pokémon these days. Well, almost.
To think that before Smash Melee, the series was practically unknown in the west.
And now people who don't give a shite about Fire Emblem must endure something Fire Emblem related in virtually every Direct.

Looks pretty good, Toothpaste main character isn't as jarring as I thought they would be. Really like the pretty art style this time around.

I hope, if nothing else, they don't jack up the games presentation/storytelling like they did with Fates and Houses. I shouldn't have to, nor do I have to desire to play through a game 3+ times just to see the whole plot.

I hated hitting the reset button in Fates three times (and having to buy multiple games) just to see the story through to the end. Same thing with Houses, and after 90+ hours doing Golden Deer, then Black Eagles, I had absolutely no desire to do the other Black Eagles route or Blue Lions. I started out loving both those games and really loved their story/worlds, but by the end they had well worn out their welcome because of the awful presentation model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom