• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

The way they get children in this game is so outrageously dumb. Yikes.

The next game, should they choose to have children again, absolutely must have a significant time skip. One, because that would actually make sense, and two, because it'd be real fun to see what characters look like when they're older. That was one of the cooler parts of Radiant Dawn...although that wasn't a whole lot of time in between it and Path of Radiance.

Either way, ditch the children or figure something else better out. I also don't really like the fact that you stop getting new units at a certain point and then it's just all children from there on out, it annoyed me in Awakening too.

Seriously. You realize just how dumb it is when the moment you marry two units together, they immediately have a child stored away in some alternate dimension. How do these women go through 9 months of pregnancy during a goddamn WAR? (Not to mention mere moments after marrying...) It's like this is stork rules and not actual childbirth rules. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense. Also, it's disturbing how these children age so fast, by the time they leave their "deeprealms", they're just about the same age as their parents. What. It at least works in Awakening because they're FUTURE children, but here, they're existing in the present. Eugh, I could go on and on about why I dislike the reasoning for children units existing in Fates, but I'll stop here, lol.

AEREC

It's pretty much before the start of Awakening. It's mostly fanservice (not that kind) for Awakening, so you might not enjoy it as much, but there's no spoilers.

Thanks...I have Awakening and have played it a ways through just never finished it.

you can't make tea corrin you always mess it up
urgghhh i'll show you!
but you already filled half the sink with dishes
but i'm really going to try this time!

Really? This fucking half dragon woman and potential savior of the kingdom, a deft political subverter can't make tea? This is why I can't stand this type of brain dead visual novel-esque writing.

Seriously. You realize just how dumb it is when the moment you marry two units together, they immediately have a child stored away in some alternate dimension. How do these women go through 9 months of pregnancy during a goddamn WAR? (Not to mention mere moments after marrying...) It's like this is stork rules and not actual childbirth rules. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense. Also, it's disturbing how these children age so fast, by the time they leave their "deeprealms", they're just about the same age as their parents. What. It at least works in Awakening because they're FUTURE children, but here, they're existing in the present. Eugh, I could go on and on about why I dislike the reasoning for children units existing in Fates, but I'll stop here, lol.
What I can't make sense of is that the child age faster in the deep realms right? Well then how often do the parents have to visit because not a whole lot of time is passing in the present.

Ryoma stahp pls.

Those poor Nohrians.
Ryoma gives no fucks.

So Chapter 12 conquest is really frustrating me. I actually just got to the end, only to be frozen with a staff and thus unable to escape. It wouldn't have been as bad if I had realized it beforehand though, and not placed my units where the boss could attack them D:

NeonZ

Really? This fucking half dragon woman and potential savior of the kingdom, a deft political subverter can't make tea? This is why I can't stand this type of brain dead writing.

I didn't even think about the whole "wow she can't cook" cliche while reading that support. She only starts attempting to make tea after the C support, doing badly in the B support isn't really odd.
She also noticed what Jakob did in the B support.

Seriously. You realize just how dumb it is when the moment you marry two units together, they immediately have a child stored away in some alternate dimension. How do these women go through 9 months of pregnancy during a goddamn WAR? (Not to mention mere moments after marrying...) It's like this is stork rules and not actual childbirth rules. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Technically, the Castle itself also is in the Astral realm or something, not in the actual world where the Hoshido/Nohr war happens. There's no war there, just occasional attacks by the invisible troops. I agree that the Deeprealm explanation is problematic though, they should have gone with alternate universes or just time travel again.

Fandangox

tumblr_o2vny911Yr1uh6c1mo1_1280.png

tumblr_o2vny911Yr1uh6c1mo2_400.png

Kid justification is laughably bad, there's no other way to put it. At the end of the day I'm fine with it because I love the marriage + kids mechanic in FE but the way they handled it here is disappointingly lazy.

What bothers me the most is that you kind of have to assume none of these kids have spent much time with their parents at all. The relationships feel superficial from the very start which makes the support conversations feel less meaningful.

It's not a major deal for me but I hope they come up with a better solution for future entries.

Draxal

I kinda thought theory A as mentioned was implicit. I also didn't like the kid units as well due to the implications with some characters like Hayato/Elise/Sakura who are young as hell. It didn't bother me as much with Lissa in Awakening who is also young ... because it was obvious that kid happened down the line.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They really need to come up with a better plot device to justify the children, as that mechanic is not going anywhere. People like shipping, but everyone loves breeding super soldiers even more. It's a good feature, just super ham fisted in there plot wise.

Seeing as how they were able to technically create 3 full campaigns and have been quite successful with it all I don't see why they can't ship two games again next time but this time have it something like Genealogy of the Holy War, instead of the parallel stories.

Game A would be about Generation 1. ~26 chapters of some conflict that you and your companions battle against. It would be more like Awakening/Birthright with more freedom to grind and more straight forward battles and such. Then you'd have game B which is set years after the first game which features some of the G1 cast and mostly their children taking on some new threat or seeking to vanquish the one from game A once and for all. This would more like older FEs and Conquest/Revelations. Limited freedom to grind but more importantly more varied and difficult encounters. This would help balance out the general OP nature of children by giving them more difficult challenges.

If you choose to go for game B first and only you'll get random parentage of the children and their starting skills where as if you played game A you'd be able to pick the matches and such. Edit: They could also pull some kind of behind the scenes difficulty scaling separate from the set Normal/Hard/Insanity options based on whether you imported a save or not, but that might be a bit too much.

And again you'd be able to buy one for 40 and get the second game for half the price. The only issue with this are people getting pissed off that children are locked off behind a paywall and they don't want to have to play through an entire campaign before getting the chance to see the kids, when currently in Fates you just need to get S rank ASAP and you can get a kid right then there as early you want.

Draxal

They really need to come up with a better plot device to justify the children, as that mechanic is not going anywhere. People like shipping, but everyone loves breeding super soldiers even more. It's a good feature, just super ham fisted in there plot wise..

It wouldn't surprise me if it went away truth be told. This screams tacked on extra feature that they fucked up and know they fucked up.

NeonZ

I can't see children going away if they can't create something else appealing enough to replace them as a post-S ranking feature, from both a story point and character customization one. I don't think modern IS will randomly throw away big features like they used to do in the past.

And again you'd be able to buy one for 40 and get the second game for half the price. The only issue with this are people getting pissed off that children are locked off behind a paywall and they don't want to have to play through an entire campaign before getting the chance to see the kids, when currently in Fates you just need to get S rank ASAP and you can get a kid right then there as early you want.

I think that won't happen exactly due to what you mention there. It'd be seen as removing a feature from the game and placing it behind a paywall, since you'd need both games in order to actually use the generation system there.

Fandangox

they should just go over the line twice with full stupidity and just go with a les enfants terribles cloning project for the kids next game

So today was my birthday and opened my game and I got greeted as such :)
My avatar got a free stat boost for the next battle + a free weapon level up + in myRoom my wife gave me flowers :D

Speaking of birthday, today is Beruka's birthday too and she got the same thing, so now she has an A weapon level on Axe x)

Draxal

I can't see children going away if they can't create something else appealing enough to replace them as a post-S ranking feature, from both a story point and character customization one. I don't think modern IS will randomly throw away big features like they used to do in the past.

Well, that's what I was kinda counting on as the next game is no longer going to be in the 3ds era, but I kinda also expect them to tone it down a bit and go for a more Rekka no Ken/FE7/Fire Emblem feel (which actually had a ton of shipping there as well, but it was all hid behing insanely long support times,

At the same time, they usually get a new artist and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Kozaki and the mechanics, as well the success of these games is rather unprecedented worldwide. The one great thing about Cipher is that they're keeping a stable of talent artists ready to make a new game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think that won't happen exactly due to what you mention there. It'd be seen as removing a feature from the game and placing it behind a paywall, since you'd need both games in order to actually use the generation system there.

It's definitely a potential deal breaker, but I think it largely depends on the sales of Birthright/Conquest/Revelations. If they feel like a large enough percentage of people bought 2/3 or 3/3 of the games then I don't think it will be that big a deal as they'll be able to gauge the relative acceptance of multiple game versions.

It's hard to say how people who are only interested in buying 1 version of the game would feel about it. May be that they are just satisfied with just one version as they feel it's a complete package, so the loss of children would be noticeable. Or they could just not be that big a fan of the series and thus might not really miss the feature since it is a power gamer feature in many respects. Others might get annoyed based on principal, even if they always intended on getting both, but that's another issue.

Cruxist

Got to chapter 13 on conquest. Kept failing with far too many casualties, finally gave in and Master Sealed 3 of my characters. I'll give it a shot again today, but man oh man, I forgot how sad I was with the new animations for the general class. By far the best 2d sprite, and now its just so generic.

Shifty1897

So Chapter 12 conquest is really frustrating me. I actually just got to the end, only to be frozen with a staff and thus unable to escape. It wouldn't have been as bad if I had realized it beforehand though, and not placed my units where the boss could attack them D:

I was stuck on that this morning before I left for work. That mission is rough!

Got to chapter 13 on conquest. Kept failing with far too many casualties, finally gave in and Master Sealed 3 of my characters. I'll give it a shot again today, but man oh man, I forgot how sad I was with the new animations for the general class. By far the best 2d sprite, and now its just so generic.

I miss the 2D animations from the GBA Fire Emblems....

Well, that's what I was kinda counting on as the next game is no longer going to be in the 3ds era, but I kinda also expect them to tone it down a bit and go for a more Rekka no Ken/FE7/Fire Emblem feel (which actually had a ton of shipping there as well, but it was all hid behing insanely long support times,

At the same time, they usually get a new artist and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Kozaki and the mechanics, as well the success of these games is rather unprecedented worldwide. The one great thing about Cipher is that they're keeping a stable of talent artists ready to make a new game.

Despite the next game not being in the 3DS era, I doubt IS will strip content, despite kids being unnecessary in Fates, it was still here because its a a fan favorite. And with FE now a top Nintendo IP, IS can't risk cutting out features that made the game popular around the world.

spiritfox

Despite the next game not being in the 3DS era, I doubt IS will strip content, despite kids being unnecessary in Fates, it was still here because its a a fan favorite. And with FE now a top Nintendo IP, IS can't risk cutting out features that made the game popular around the world.

Requiring children for future games will really limit what they can do with the story. We can't have the Deeprealms every game, that's just ridiculous.

Requiring children for future games will really limit what they can do with the story. We can't have the Deeprealms every game, that's just ridiculous.

Children wasn't really part of the story for Fates unlike Awakening. Deeprealms felt shoe-in but the paralouges themselves was pretty good and it showed how rebellious some of the kids are for being shoved into the deeprealms.

Genealogy did it the best imo, and the reason its still one of my favorite FE.

Draxal

As an aside, I always thought the biggest upgrade from FE6-7 was the blinking eyes. Playing FE6 again with them not blinking has always weirded me out afterwards.

spiritfox

Children wasn't really part of the story for Fates unlike Awakening. Deeprealms felt shoe-in but the paralouges themselves was pretty good and it showed how rebellious some of the kids are for being shoved into the deeprealms.

Genealogy did it the best imo, and the reason its still one of my favorite FE.

If they can make it part of the story like Awakening or FE4, it would be good. But the Deeprealms are such a throwaway excuse to put children in a game where they don't really fit. In the end, having to have either a time-skip, time traveling, or some weird pocket dimension, just limits what story future FEs can have. I don't mind children, but I won't miss them too much if they took them away in service of the story.

Also, I forgot how many helicopter crits there are in the GBA games.

Finished chapter 10
(the ninja village)
in Birthright, and I'm loving it so far. The majority of these characters are a step above Awakening to me - designs, supports, so on. I'm taking my time to do side missions and kind of grind supports to see more about them all. (Rinkah/Kaze C support convo might be my favorite so far; cliche but well done.)

As for the maps, the only one so far I didn't like was 10 actually. I kind of just got stuck in one area for ten turns, so maybe it was mostly my fault with how I handled the map, but it felt like a fustercluck with so many characters in such confined areas.

vareon

Technically, the Castle itself also is in the Astral realm or something, not in the actual world where the Hoshido/Nohr war happens. There's no war there, just occasional attacks by the invisible troops. I agree that the Deeprealm explanation is problematic though, they should have gone with alternate universes or just time travel again.

Could've used "they are their parents' children from a parallel world" or something (since other realms do exist in the story) but they had to go to explain the birth, how the parents stored their baby in an alternate dimension and how they grow up faster.

It's the poster lesson of "less is more".

The Deeprealms explanation does address one thing: the emotional connection issue. Whereas in Awakening the emotional connection was extremely one sided since the parents don't even know these kids and haven't had the child yet. In Fates the parents were there throughout the kids lives so there is a connection there.

Another area it fails: Siblings. I had Azura marry Jakob and the siblings support they mention that they were raised in different deep realms which makes no sense.

Those old sprite animations really are a work of art.

Anyone else slightly annoyed that you can't skip Lilith's eating animation in Lilith's Temple? I'm totally nitpicking, but in a game where you can skip nearly every animation that one animation not being able to skip that one really bugs me...

NeonZ

The deeprealms aren't involved in the main story at all though, so they don't really restrict the actual story. It's not like they were forced to throw in world hopping in the main game in order to make the deeprealms fit, they're only mentioned as a bad excuse for the children.

The Deeprealms explanation does address one thing: the emotional connection issue. Whereas in Awakening the emotional connection was extremely one sided since the parents don't even know these kids and haven't had the child yet. In Fates the parents were there throughout the kids lives so there is a connection there.

Maybe something like this...

-Their love echoes through the realms and opens a way to someone calling for them.
-In one of these realms, there's a world where the couple had fallen in love but somehow died along the way, and their child's feeling calling for them during some bad situation reach the units.
-Chapter would involve resolving the current situation with the child unit who'd afterwards join the party.
-At the end of the chapter, the soul of the fallen versions of the parent units in that world resonate with the parents, giving them memories from the other world.

If they can make it part of the story like Awakening or FE4, it would be good. But the Deeprealms are such a throwaway excuse to put children in a game where they don't really fit. In the end, having to have either a time-skip, time traveling, or some weird pocket dimension, just limits what story future FEs can have. I don't mind children, but I won't miss them too much if they took them away in service of the story.

Also, I forgot how many helicopter crits there are in the GBA games.

Agreed, tbh, the only reason why I accepted the deeprealms was because the paralogues that I played + the support that I read so far made it feel like Kids x Parents interaction better. (Velouria has one of the sweetest supports)

Another area it fails: Siblings. I had Azura marry Jakob and the siblings support they mention that they were raised in different deep realms which makes no sense.

Yeah the whole sibling thing was weird. But I agree with your deeprealms analysis, the story in the paralogue + supports has been good stuff so far. I remember the first paralogue I play was Leo's son and the whole scene around it was just really good. And Leo's support with Forrest where he's trying to be a better and understanding father was touching.

Those old sprite animations really are a work of art.

Anyone else slightly annoyed that you can't skip Lilith's eating animation in Lilith's Temple? I'm totally nitpicking, but in a game where you can skip nearly every animation that one animation not being able to skip that one really bugs me...
I don't even feed her anymore.

The biggest reason I want kids out is because it really limits the variety of characters and relationships we get other than "they get married" or "they're parent and child but the same age".

Where's the master/apprentice like Sety/Asvel or Pent/Erk? Where's the lovingly married couple like Louise/Pent or Largo/Calill? What about the complicated mess like Rebecca/Dart/Wil?

Fates did add retainer-relationships which are cool and some of the late game characters like Shura are neat, bit I really miss the variety.

The biggest reason I want kids out is because it really limits the variety of characters and relationships we get other than "they get married" or "they're parent and child but the same age".

Where's the master/apprentice like Sety/Asvel or Pent/Erk? Where's the lovingly married couple like Louise/Pent or Largo/Calill? What about the complicated mess like Rebecca/Dart/Wil?

Fates did add retainer-relationships which are cool and some of the late game characters like Shura are neat, bit I really miss the variety.
Or my personal favorite. Renault

Draxal

I miss the premarried couples as well, as for the first Chrom and Ricken should have existed but I never understood why they didn't get a support.

The reason I don't want kids in everygame (I don't mind them if they're used sparingly), is that they kind replace the lategame reinforcements that you usally get. So no more Gatos.

I think children are fine but I agree with adding more characters that already have some kind of relationship with each other. That variety would be fun. I loved how Maribelle and Ricken had a history in Awakening and their support expanded upon that. Wish there were more like them.

Perhaps some of these cant have S support but you can homewreck others. Thatd be fun.

microdot

All of this is justified because anime.

Top Bottom