• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

fire_emblem_x_legend_of_zelda_by_thebloudymorder-d9ssvfl.png
I would love a FE x LoZ. I had mentioned that before but I'd like to see a crossover. Perhaps Ganondorf and Grima teamed up. The game takes place in Hyrule with a cast of FE characters brought into the mix as well. Build it as a SRPG in the same fashion as FE. You could even do special classes such as Sage, Zora, Goron, Deku, etc. However, have the overworld be designed sort of as a cross between FE's overworld and 2D Zelda's overworld. You can still incorporate environmental puzzles, some item puzzles, etc. Although the overworld would need to be more condensed and a bit simpler.

The way they get children in this game is so outrageously dumb. Yikes.

The next game, should they choose to have children again, absolutely must have a significant time skip. One, because that would actually make sense, and two, because it'd be real fun to see what characters look like when they're older. That was one of the cooler parts of Radiant Dawn...although that wasn't a whole lot of time in between it and Path of Radiance.

Either way, ditch the children or figure something else better out. I also don't really like the fact that you stop getting new units at a certain point and then it's just all children from there on out, it annoyed me in Awakening too.
They really don't want to do the time skip thing again, it seems.

If nothing else than because people don't want to lose the original army or have them change to less appealing designs.

lmao, on birthright chapter 13 and I'm literally so tired I totally forgot to activate a dragon vein turning like 4 knights +
serena
into having only 1hp

Perhaps its just anecdotal, but either I just have really shitty luck with HP, or this is another 'low' HP-growth rate average game.

Playing Conquest, and even my Effie/Silas/Arthur are barely getting any hp. And let's not even mention Azura/Elise, lol.

latter... actually, blame awakening for bloated hp growth

PK Gaming

It would have been best if they used the same method for avatars getting children from other avatars (something, something life being breathed into the earth) for the child characters.

fernoca

Any other like me....playing Revelation first and using Phoenix difficulty? XD

No shame. It was my an from the beginning since I just want to enjoy the world and characters. Plus Project X Zone 2 and Mega Man Legacy arrived...and I'm getting older and more depressed. :p

So far I'm loving it. Was planning on romancing Niles whenever I met him; but really liked Azura so ended marrying her in Chapter 8...then 2 children even.

Is a blast.

Also added the amiibo characters as recruit...and Ike is great. Can use that sword anywhere!

three enemies to go on Birthright chapter 14, I send silas to attack an archer. the axeman next to the archer not only hits with a dual attack, it crits and 1 hit KOs Silas. I'm replaying the mission right now but I should have let him die. This long ass fucking mission isn't worth it, especially if I mess up again.

Edit: as I said this, I forgot the person the miniboss was dual guarded with has higher move, so I killed the first guy and the other one ran down corrin and killed him. Welp. Silas is the only person even remotely worth this.

Guys I've never played any of the Fire Emblem stuff before but GAF is ecstatic so I kinda feel I need to try this out. Would you recommend me going with Awakening or jumping into this one right away?

Guys I've never played any of the Fire Emblem stuff before but GAF is ecstatic so I kinda feel I need to try this out. Would you recommend me going with Awakening or jumping into this one right away?

I say jump straight into this one. The gameplay is massively improved over Awakening.

NeonZ

The explanation for how fast time passes in the deeprealms was astounding. It literally is like the hyperbolic time chamber.
Those kids will be dead in less than a year from their parents' perspective. It's terrible writing and the most obvious hamfisted plot device I've ever seen.

They won't be dead since they left those realms when they join your party.

I say jump straight into this one. The gameplay is massively improved over Awakening.

I see,
is it worth it than to go back to the older titles if I enjoy it? IIRC Awakening had story on a blander side so if gameplay is so much improved here I won't need to replay the older games right?

Zaventem

The next game, should they choose to have children again, absolutely must have a significant time skip. One, because that would actually make sense, and two, because it'd be real fun to see what characters look like when they're older. That was one of the cooler parts of Radiant Dawn...although that wasn't a whole lot of time in between it and Path of Radiance.

Either way, ditch the children or figure something else better out. I also don't really like the fact that you stop getting new units at a certain point and then it's just all children from there on out, it annoyed me in Awakening too.
It would be cool if this series, anime games in general partially...abandoned the youth vibe by making them older. I mean if they do a huge time skip you can always choose to play with the younger units if that's your thing.

yami4ct

Man, that feeling when you perfectly set up a map for 15-30 minutes and die to a 1% crit. Boy. I don't think there's a more crushing defeat.

Camilla, that was cheap. I get it. A 1% chance still means there's a chance but ... Dammit.

The explanation for how fast time passes in the deeprealms was astounding. It literally is like the hyperbolic time chamber.
Those kids will be dead in less than a year from their parents' perspective. It's terrible writing and the most obvious hamfisted plot device I've ever seen.

Even Awakening had a "decent" excuse for having children characters. This one is just fanfiction levels of bad, lol.

They won't be dead since they left those realms when they join your party.

What if you don't do a paralogue? A fate worse than death awaits.

And Nohr Lunatic Chapter 10 was really well designed, surprisingly.
That "Oh Shit" moment when the water dries up is pretty harrowing and the way you had to close rank in order to deal with the new flood. Not sure if I can say I beat it 100% legit though, since I bought Effie Renewal at somebody's My Castle. Then again I parked her against a wall and didn't move her the entire map so I suppose I could've gotten the same results if I just gave her some concoctions. I'm surprised Effie and Arthur didn't S-rank considering they spent like 10 turns glued to the hip.
Conquest is already alot better than Birthright, which was my favorite FE game thus far regardless.

microdot

I just beat birthright and it asked me to choose 5 characters. What's that about?

Also, how do I start conquest? Explore paths?

Took me 50+ hours to beat...only 2 more times lol

i managed to beat it by flying Ryouma as close as possible, following him with a dancer and basically ignoring everything else. I got lucky that Shiro decided to heal himself at 2HP instead of running off to attack someone else. And that Ryouma was close enough that the enemies attacked him instead of Shiro. And that Azura managed to dodge everything somehow.

For me, literally the first person he attacks will kill him. So I have only the first turn to get him and I assume Azura will die if I try to use her.

Luigi87

Man Conquest 10 was sooooo much fun. Figuring out how to deploy resources was great and having each character with a defined role was fantastic and just tons of fun to figure out the optimal deployment of. Reclassing Corrin to Cavalier was one of the best decisions I've ever made, I don't think I could have beaten this without it. Elise's Freeze staff was also the hero with stopping nasty pegs when needed. Niles was a big contributor, having Beruka/Selena clog the left side helped a lot, Nyx with the magic siege was really useful, Effie was not as helpful as you might think because armor move is so bad but her one shotting pegs was really great. Camilla is also insanely good, if anyone hadn't figured that out yet.

That map nearly gave me panics, lol
It is incredibly well designed though.

I just somewhat cringed every time I needed to feed a kill to Camilla. That 1EXP gain stung.

Having played the Boo Camp map DLC now... Eh. It's sort of similar I guess to the Awakening one (because the stronger units don't engage and run away), but because the enemies scale to where you are in the story, that makes training weaker units harder. And most of the enemies that WOULD give decent EXP hit like a truck even against my bulker units. And the map, while interesting, is annoying to navigate. Oh well... I'll be spending a bit of time on this map to get everyone up to their promoted classes at least.

Squire

Banned
Birthright chapter 13 was pretty smooth sailing, relatively speaking.

My Hinoka is Lv. 14. Is switching her to a lancer advised? I don't feel like I really make good use of flying units, but I do like her. I'll probably use her more as a lancer. And I want to make room in my rotation for Reina and maybe Scarlet.

Side note: LMAO @ Jakob's C support with Takumi. I love this guy. Tell me he's high up on the JP popularity polls, please. He cracks me up. 😂

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Birthright chapter 13 was pretty smooth sailing, relatively speaking.

My Hinoka is Lv. 14. Is switching her to a lancer advised? I don't feel like I really make good use of flying units, but I do like her. I'll probably use her more as a lancer. And I want to make room in my rotation for Reina and maybe Scarlet.

Side note: LMAO @ Jakob's C support with Takumi. I love this guy. Tell me he's high up on the JP popularity polls, please. He cracks me up. 😂
Jakob is the best FE character. His C "support" with Rinkah is also hilarious. It's basically just them insulting each other .

Insolitus

Banned
I see,
is it worth it than to go back to the older titles if I enjoy it? IIRC Awakening had story on a blander side so if gameplay is so much improved here I won't need to replay the older games right?

I'd at least give FE7 (the one just called Fire Emblem in the states)or the Sacred Stones a shot if you like Fates, they defiantly have better stories.

NeonZ

I see,

The issue with Awakening is that it introduced a bunch of new mechanics, but balanced them badly. It also had very lazy map design, especially towards end-game where things should usually improve.

Older FE games lack features like reclassing and pair up, but still stand on their own just fine, and the games from FE7 to FE10 also have a more elaborate narrative than Awakening and Fates since those games apparently attempted to simplify and quicken the story by doing things like removing narration and more political aspects of the story (I don't think the later were ever very good in the first place, but it created a stronger sense of cohesive world building that's kind of missing from Fates and Awakening).

Anteo

God damn chapter 10. My troops are spreaded so thin that by the time the last push comes either someone dies or some knight goes through my blockade.
This game is amazing

silva1991

If two characters don't like eachother according to hubba tester should I bother pairing them?

Ryoma doesn't Rinkah that much according does that mean leveling up relationship takes longer or something? game doesn't explain shit.

Draxal

If two characters don't like eachother according to hubba tester should I bother pairing them?

Ryoma doesn't Rinkah that much according does that mean leveling up relationship takes longer or something? game doesn't explain shit.

The hubba tester itself says it's a complete joke and to disregard anything it says...

Anteo

It doenst explain because there is nothing to explain. Hubba tester is just a joke. Everything else is explained whenever it comes up.

So is this game better than FE Awakening?

Conquest is better for sure, but not only because the more varied stages, but the mechanics (which are shared with Birthright) are amazing. The new rebalanced pair up is so much better and makes you think a lot before commiting your units to a turn

Yeah, there's a lot of good story beats that could be used if they let the game jump 20 years ahead at some point too. Everything wouldn't need to happen so rapidly.

Hubbs tester is a joke feature means nothing in relation to actual parings.

Draxal

They really don't want to do the time skip thing again, it seems.

If nothing else than because people don't want to lose the original army or have them change to less appealing designs.

Bingo. I didn't mind the kids in Awakening as they served a purpose there as callback to 4 as it was celebration of the series, but it's a tool that should be used sparingly.

vareon

The children unit explanation is the single dumbest way ever for a videogame to explain their gamey mechanic. I don't think anything else matched its stupidity.

Birthright, Hard/Classic.

Paralogue 2 absolutely wrecked me. Took me at least 5 tries and roughly 4 hours to finally finish it.
I think I probably wasn't aggressive enough as I ended up fighting all of the reinforcements. One of the twins got a 5% crit on Corrin that killed him and on another run three straight ~50% hits landed on Takumi to take him down.

After much perseverance I finally pulled through with no losses. I'm in Chapter 13 in the story with no promoted units yet (waiting for 20) but I have a feeling the difficulty will plateau soon and maybe even go downhill. You get so much EXP from these Paralogues.

Man, that feeling when you perfectly set up a map for 15-30 minutes and die to a 1% crit. Boy. I don't think there's a more crushing defeat.

Camilla, that was cheap. I get it. A 1% chance still means there's a chance but ... Dammit.

That's more frequent than it should, that 1% is like 10% for real, when I see a 15-20% crit chance it's almost like 50%, maybe the luck stats from both sides affect it much more than I believe, lost 2 characters already to 5-10% crit chances...its damn annoying, but i accept it (crying for 3 nights of deep sadness).

That's more frequent than it should, that 1% is like 10% for real, when I see a 15-20% crit chance it's almost like 50%, maybe the luck stats from both sides affect it much more than I believe, lost 2 characters already to 5-10% crit chances...its damn annoying, but i accept it (crying for 3 nights of deep sadness).
If I see a enemy with a 20% crit chance that unit becomes a 'do not engage unless you have overwhelming advantage. Because as far as I'm concerned 20% crit = 100% crit.

Weebos

Banned
Conquest 19 (Hard Classic) was pretty rough. I'm a little concerned that most of my units couldn't take hits in that chapter. I managed to get through it by climbing on Keaton's back.

AEREC

Probably a dumb question since it's called "Before Awakening" but this particular DLC doesnt include any Awakening spoilers does it? I still plan on playing it at some point.

spiritfox

Probably a dumb question since it's called "Before Awakening" but this particular DLC doesnt include any Awakening spoilers does it? I still plan on playing it at some point.

It's pretty much before the start of Awakening. It's mostly fanservice (not that kind) for Awakening, so you might not enjoy it as much, but there's no spoilers.

Top Bottom