• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Renewed

Hinoka's waaaaay better as a spear fighter. Anyone recommend doing the same with Subaki? Can you?

I have flyers I want to use, I think I just don't like Sky Knights.

For Subaki, marry him off to Oboro and use a Partner Seal to get Spear Fighter.

appaws

Banned
Birthright Chapter 16

Maybe I brought too many Armorslayers. At this point I've promoted a few people so I have new cornerstones of my frontlines while I have ranged units abuse Attack Stance. Training Hinoka as a Basara for some skills and her defence/resistance in Guard Stance negates all damage.

About to promote Saizo, Orochi, Kagero, and Setsuna (not Rinkah because she's been terrible).

I turned Rinkah into a dread fighter...she's pretty bad ass.

WolfeTone

The best instance of the horses thing is from Sacred Stones though:
Eirika and Ephraim go down into a chamber that has been sealed for centuries, and then they come back out riding horses.

I was always upset about Ephraim's promotion. We finally get a decent, non-mounted lance user and they have to go give him the horse. I don't know why I prefer the non-mounted lance users, probably spoiled by Nephenee the critical queen and Aran the indestructible tank from PoR and RD. I loved the soldier class so much.

Haven't played Birthright yet but looking forward to having some on-foot lance users in my team.

Hansel

Banned
So how do you get skills from other classes if your level stays the same when you change classes? Just started playing.

WolfeTone

So how do you get skills from other classes if your level stays the same when you change classes? Just started playing.

You get get them one by one as you level up. If you go from Knight to General to Paladin for instance, you'll get the Cavalier skills as you level up as a Paladin as early as level 2 and 3, then you'll start getting the Paladin skills at normal levels.

Hansel

Banned
You get get them one by one as you level up. If you go from Knight to General to Paladin for instance, you'll get the Cavalier skills as you level up as a Paladin as early as level 2 and 3, then you'll start getting the Paladin skills at normal levels.
What about when you're max level? At that point is there no opportunity to change class and get the other skills?

CazTGG

What about when you're max level? At that point is there no opportunity to change class and get the other skills?

There is a new kind of seal that can be used on maximum level, fully promoted units which lets them level up five more times. No idea if there's a limit to the amount of times one can use these seals on a given unit, but I only ever got to use one on Corrin during the final chapter of Birthright.

WolfeTone

Yeah you have to plan carefully if you're thinking of min-maxing. If you've hit max level in your promoted class then you can use an special seal to raise the level cap by 5 and then get other skills.

Hansel

Banned
So what is everyone doing? At level 20 do you just quickly become every base class you can then use a master seal and become each promoted class you can and then get to max level? Or does that even work for getting all available skills for a character?

Cruxist

All this talk of min/maxing is making me glad I went Congqiest first. With the limited gold/level ups, I'm way more concerned about just surviving. It'll be a leisurely stroll through Birthright and ill be able to play around more with skills and classes.

Velcro Fly

Finished chapter 10 of Birthright

I'm really enjoying the game but I'm having a hard time picking a good group to use. And I have no idea who I'm going to pair off. I don't really remember struggling this bad in Awakening deciding things. I just sort of have supports going everywhere. A few are progressing past the early stages.

Basically I just feel so disorganized compared to how I was in Awakening. But I am enjoying the game and the maps do feel a lot better than Awakening.

WolfeTone

All this talk of min/maxing is making me glad I went Congqiest first. With the limited gold/level ups, I'm way more concerned about just surviving. It'll be a leisurely stroll through Birthright and ill be able to play around more with skills and classes.

Yeah I appreciate Conquest's limited ability to grind. I'm worrying less about who's a good character and just going with who I like. For a first playthrough I'm not so worried about min-maxing anyway. It's definitely not required to beat the main game (I hope, still on Chapter 17 of Conquest). I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of Nohr-side characters though. Without the ability to grind I won't get to see if they're any good. One good thing about Awakening was that you could see the vast majority of content in one playthrough. There's good way that I can see to be able to view all the support conversations for all the Nohr units.

Squire

Banned
So what is everyone doing? At level 20 do you just quickly become every base class you can then use a master seal and become each promoted class you can and then get to max level? Or does that even work for getting all available skills for a character?

Seems like people switch once or go straight to promotion. Seals are a limited resource to start, but even once you can just keep buying them, they're so expensive that just switching and switching and switching doesn't really seem feasible.

Hansel

Banned
Seems like people switch once or go straight to promotion. Seals are a limited resource to start, but even once you can just keep buying them, they're so expensive that just switching and switching and switching doesn't really seem feasible.

That makes me feel a lot better honestly. Thanks.

Kitoro

I see Paralogue 1 has been unlocked for me. Can I put it on the backburner for later, or will it go away if I don't complete it within a few story missions?

Thanks!

Insolitus

Banned

You can do that but the thing is, if you reclass a unit, even if they're promoted they're still gonna receive skills in the order that you would normally get them from the base class. So if you reclass a newly promoted unit or level 20 base unit you have to keep in mind you're screwing them out of the skills that they would get from normal promotion route until you change them back. I'd say the best time to reclass is either right when you get a unit or after they've already maxed out everything after promotion but the latter is likely to take a lot of effort.

Zaventem

I think this seems to be the formula but just to triple confirm it's (Variable parent’s growth rates + Child’s growth rates) / 2? i'm a eugenicist.

No point in switching back and forth all the time. You're better off buying skills from castles online. Hell i disabled my attacking castles when i found out it's better to share skills with the community. The whole once per day thing is kinda BS, but with how hilarious easy it is to do i can understand why. I've already got Miracle, Replicate, Rend Heaven, Aegis and Pavise on my avatar, all from buying them online from different castles and i haven't even promoted yet.

microdot

Hinoka's waaaaay better as a spear fighter. Anyone recommend doing the same with Subaki? Can you?

I have flyers I want to use, I think I just don't like Sky Knights.

Hinoka with the bolt Naginata is pretty powerful, especially paired with Sakura to boost mag. She's really great at taking down golems. Not as powerful as Felicia with flame shiruken though.

Hugstable

Banned
I really don't like Paralogue 5

What the hell is this? 3 attempts now and each time the 3 horse knights just ride up to the daughter I'm supposed to recruit and automatically kill her right there... and this is on turn 2.

Hansel

Banned
I think this seems to be the formula but just to triple confirm it's (Variable parent’s growth rates + Child’s growth rates) / 2? i'm a eugenicist.

No point in switching back and forth all the time. You're better off buying skills from castles online. Hell i disabled my attacking castles when i found out it's better to share skills with the community. The whole once per day thing is kinda BS, but with how hilarious easy it is to do i can understand why. I've already got Miracle, Replicate, Rend Heaven, Aegis and Pavise on my avatar, all from buying them online from different castles and i haven't even promoted yet.

Woah, didn't know about that. So basically just get the class I want for each character and slowly get the skills I want from castles? Can I do that for each character or just the avatar?

Zaventem

Woah, didn't know about that. So basically just get the class I want for each character and slowly get the skills I want from castles? Can I do that for each character or just the avatar?

You can do it for everyone! I think once more people actually get to know about this it'll grow the community even further.

Xenoflare

Why can't I use
entrap to warp Azama to me in Conquest Ch24. Seriously I am not willing to use baits and would like to dispatch him before he does anything with that half hp rod

Luigi87

Birthright 11

"Alright, this isn't too bad. Mozu and Takumi are wrecking face, and Reina helps too!

[Turn 14]
-All enemies begins to advance including boss.

"... SHI-"

ChrisD

Chapter 16 Birthright the
abandoned Nohr Castle
one has really made me appreciate my army's unnaturally high Res stat. Hinoka has 26 at unpromoted Level 18. I can throw her face first in front of just about any Magic-wielding group, it's great.

Then Sakura had 21 Res AND 20 Def when paired up with Silas. Not sure on base stats, but she's my MVP, man. So much damage to be so tanky.

I only have three more staple Units to promote now, Setsuna, Hinoka, and Takumi.

Defense Stance is so strong. I won't say it's broken, but it's so easy to game the system with it since enemies can't Pair Up during battle. I'd rather not see that, though, so it's good with me. :p

For those of you who have finished one the games are you immediately jumping into the next one?

Despite having the SE, I'm probably going to look at the games as completely separate. So I'll play through Birthright as I am now, then likely put a ton of time into My Castle/Supports/min-maxing my Castle team. It'll be a number of weeks before hopping in to Conquest. I don't want all three games to blend together as one in my mind, and while three FE games is a good thing, there is such a thing as too much in one small timeframe. I can still be playing a "New" game on the Fates engine months from now. That sounds great.

I say that now. I may start Conquest within one week or some ridiculously short amount of time after beating Birthright. But for now sticking to the plan above looks like where I'm going.

ChrisD

I beat an entire map and the boss unit got a critical when I attacked him with my main character.

Worst feeling.

Needs to be a T-Shirt with a battle forecast that shows one side clearly winning, but the other side has 1% Crit. Below it have the text "Crit happens".

That sucks. :(

So... that's the explanation we're going with for the children? Okay then... I married Silas and Azura together and just finished
Shigure's
paralogue. Wasn't that bad to be honest.
I enjoyed the shifting boats thing.

AJ1lp4w.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
I'm sorry, as I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but i'm kind of bummed you can't look at the character models when you invite characters back to your place. I don't want to rub them with a stylus and make them blush, but it would be nice to see their character model for longer than 2 seconds.

Chase17

Was about 3/4ths through hoshido chapter 21. Let Silas die somehow. Level was kind of a pain so I didn't want to restart. Sorry Silas! First loss in rolling with. At least his paralouge didn't close.

Delio

Keaton's HP growths have been amazing so far. Tossing him Camilla and their kid forward and watch them crush everything is lovely. What a powerful family.

Top Bottom