• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Cruxist

Yeah I appreciate Conquest's limited ability to grind. I'm worrying less about who's a good character and just going with who I like. For a first playthrough I'm not so worried about min-maxing anyway. It's definitely not required to beat the main game (I hope, still on Chapter 17 of Conquest). I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of Nohr-side characters though. Without the ability to grind I won't get to see if they're any good. One good thing about Awakening was that you could see the vast majority of content in one playthrough. There's good way that I can see to be able to view all the support conversations for all the Nohr units.

Yeah, but it's more like the classic fire emblems. You had your main squad that you rolled with, and unless you found a particularly good late game recruit, you kind of had to ignore them.

But I am definitely missing out on paralogues. As much as I want more characters to use, my pairings need to be about winning, not love.

Anbec7

Having a lot of fun, I don't know if there are a lot of spoilers here but currently on Chapter 8 I think...
  • Having a lot of fun with the little animations and music
  • What is the point of leveling up Lilith?
  • My Castle tips? I see that online people can destroy what you build, what!?
  • Does marriage happens automatically or you kind of "choose" when? Because I'm currently playing to max them out a little so they can work in pairs
  • Azura is amazing but... then what is the next recommendation to upgrade?
  • Funny fact, from almost all Castles I have visited I only saw one male Corrin lol

I have become obssesed with this thing, I stopped playing the Witcher lol

Luigi87

Just finished Birthright 11... Corrin and Subaki got the map MVP (I always forget the in-game term,lol) yet... Takumi and Mozu got the majority of kills on the map, lol

Anustart

Being new to the series. Should I go read up on the systems or some thing somewhere, or just learn through playing?

Really glad I picked this up and gave it a shot. Really like the whole package.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Conquest is brutal. On classic I think it would give me an aneurysm.

Ala Alba

Well, I'm up to chapter 16 birthright now. Probably did a bit too much grinding, but I have almost all paralogues unlocked.

I'm not sure whether to wait a bit for the parents to learn more skills, or just grab all the kids now. Maybe I'll space them out between story chapters? I'm not sure.

So many choices.

Hugstable

Banned
I think I waited too long to do the paralogues. Just started playing through story chapters and kinda got on a roll clearing them, til I realized I was at Chapter 23. Went to try some Paralogues and I just can't seem to beat anyway, even worse like 2 or 3 or them I'm getting my ass whooped bad within 3 turns or so. I really wanna complete everything, but I don't think I can handle all these level 10-12 promotes when all mine are like level 3 promotes -_-

pariah164

I am liking Reina more and more. It's nice to see an 'older' character in a series full of teenagers and young adults. That, and I just like her personality.
(Plus, even at level 2, she wrecks everything on the damn map, buh gawd.)

DarkKyo

Lol update on my struggles with Chapter 8 Conquest/Hard/Classic.

Was considering toning down the difficulty because I've tried this mission well over a hundred times... but I still refuse to do it.

I've gotten to Kilma twice now but each time he creams my characters and heals way too fast! I'm still not giving up, but holy shit why am I the only one having a hard time with this stupid chapter.

Luigi87

Lol update on my struggles with Chapter 8 Conquest/Hard/Classic.

Was considering toning down the difficulty because I've tried this mission well over a hundred times... but I still refuse to do it.

I've gotten to Kilma twice now but each time he creams my characters and heals way too fast! I'm still not giving up, but holy shit why am I the only one having a hard time with this stupid chapter.

As far as bosses go, he's pretty terrifying, lol. I had to severely plan out ahead and calculate potential damage before initiating combat.

DarkKyo

As far as bosses go, he's pretty terrifying, lol. I had to severely plan out ahead and calculate potential damage before initiating combat.

I'm definitely going to spend like an hour planning my moves out when I surround him with my team again. I think half my problem is I seem to have a terrible boon/bane build for my main character.. he in particular didn't stand a chance against him.

Teggy

Can someone give me a hint for Chapter 5? All of a sudden the game went from easy (or at least reasonable) to impossible (playing on hard).

I don't know what I am missing here. I have tried so many different strategies, mostly isolating groups of two or less and then using the dancer to wipe them out in one turn, then healing. But the best I've been able to do is knock out two teams before I am put in an impossible situation, because the remaining teams are too close together and can gang up on me, not to mention have casters that can hit me without allowing for a counterattack. Plus, all the enemies are level 7 and my team has two level 5s and two level 1s.

Just baffled right now.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, I got my SE yesterday and am now at chapter 16 in Birthright
KuGsj.gif
been playing almost nonstop.

I feel like I'm overleveled, but I've only unlocked 3 paralogues so far, so I guess I should keep grinding for a bit? Only until recently did I bother thinking about couplings.

Also, I guess there's no
Kaze
paralogue in Birthright?

Picked up Birthright tonight. Hadn't played a Fire Emblem game until Awakening and I fuckin loved it so this was on my radar immediately. Gonna try hard/classic to start and see how it goes.

OmegaFax

Well, I got my SE yesterday and am now at chapter 16 in Birthright
KuGsj.gif
been playing almost nonstop.

I feel like I'm overleveled, but I've only unlocked 3 paralogues so far, so I guess I should keep grinding for a bit? Only until recently did I bother thinking about couplings.

Also, I guess there's no
Kaze
paralogue in Birthright?

I wish I could tell you. I haven't played the game without the training wheels off yet >_> ... except once. I guess either try an online battle or online castle seize? It might bruise or boast your ego and see where you are in the game.

Fireblend

Banned
Also, Corrin is level 20, so what am I supposed to do? How does reclassing work here? Is there a handy guide for what all the seals do and which is recommended?

Cindro

My god, chapter 23 in Birthright is kicking my ass on normal. Four restarts so far, after breezing through the past five or so chapters on my first attempt.

Any strategies for this one? I need to beat this damn game before I get Pokemon VC tomorrow!

Can someone give me a hint for Chapter 5? All of a sudden the game went from easy (or at least reasonable) to impossible (playing on hard).

I don't know what I am missing here. I have tried so many different strategies, mostly isolating groups of two or less and then using the dancer to wipe them out in one turn, then healing. But the best I've been able to do is knock out two teams before I am put in an impossible situation, because the remaining teams are too close together and can gang up on me, not to mention have casters that can hit me without allowing for a counterattack. Plus, all the enemies are level 7 and my team has two level 5s and two level 1s.

Just baffled right now.
Have Corrin move into the range of the two physical enemies on the left but not in the range of the wyrmslayer merc. Pair Rinkah up with Kaze (with Kaze leading and Rinkah supporting) and move them over to the left but not in the range of the enemies. Move Sakura kind of over there too, and don't pair her or Azura up.

On the enemy phase, Corrin will kill both of the enemies that attack him. Move him back up and use Azura's refresh to move have him attack the wyrmslayer enemy, who with one mage should have moved towards Kaze and friends on enemy phase iirc. Have Kaze attack the mage. The mage will attack someone (probably Sakura or Azura) on enemy phase and you should heal whoever is hurt.

Now, once people are fully healed and the single wyrm merc/mage combo are dead, move your characters down. Put Kaze on the edge of the mages' range and have Corrin and Azura on as close as you can to Kaze without them being in the range of the mages. On enemy phase, all of the remaining enemies will move to attack Kaze, who should survive (and have Guard Stance built up by now? I don't think it matters though) and the two mercenaries who are paired up and both have wyrmslayers should also move now.

Have Kaze kill a mage so that Corrin can get into range to attack the mercenaries and have him do so. After he's killed the lead, have Azura refresh him so that he can kill the second one. There should be one mage left at this point, who will attack someone but be unable to ORKO them, letting you clean up the kill, probably with Kaze since Corrin will get like one experience. Deal with the reinforcements and have Corrin kill the boss.

My god, chapter 23 in Birthright is kicking my ass on normal. Four restarts so far, after breezing through the past five or so chapters on my first attempt.

Any strategies for this one? I need to beat this damn game before I get Pokemon VC tomorrow!
I don't specifically remember chapter 23 but in general a good strategy is let Ryoma kill all the things.

So I finished Birthright, absolutely loved it. Started Conquest and realized I have no idea what I'm doing. Chapter 10 absolutely kicked my ass for longer than I'd like to admit. But Now I've got an even bigger conundrum. I have Charlotte, Camilla, and Peri at A rank support for MC and I can't decide. I had originally set out with every intention of S support with Camilla...cause you know why not. But I'm digging the whole Peri thing and Charlotte seems....Nice I guess? Do any of them have special dialogue or anything like that with your child or is my child doomed to repeat the exact same things she did with her mom in Birthright?

Chase17

Just finished Birthright 23. Lost Takumi right at the endd just two chapters after losing Silas.

The wheels are coming off! Hopefully I'll be able to make it through to the end all right.

Also I may have missed this in the earlier Camilla fight but
it looked like one of the awakening kids were on her team. Pretty neat. I hadn't looked at the characters in this game so it was a nice surprise.

I just had Ryomou swing around the bottom and kill everything, including the bosses. Rest of the team I tried to hold out in the middle. I kind of eeked my way by. Normally I would replay it since I lost Takumi, but that level was a pain.

Teggy

Have Corrin move into the range of the two physical enemies on the left but not in the range of the wyrmslayer merc. Pair Rinkah up with Kaze (with Kaze leading and Rinkah supporting) and move them over to the left but not in the range of the enemies. Move Sakura kind of over there too, and don't pair her or Azura up.

On the enemy phase, Corrin will kill both of the enemies that attack him. Move him back up and use Azura's refresh to move have him attack the wyrmslayer enemy, who with one mage should have moved towards Kaze and friends on enemy phase iirc. Have Kaze attack the mage. The mage will attack someone (probably Sakura or Azura) on enemy phase and you should heal whoever is hurt.

Now, once people are fully healed and the single wyrm merc/mage combo are dead, move your characters down. Put Kaze on the edge of the mages' range and have Corrin and Azura on as close as you can to Kaze without them being in the range of the mages. On enemy phase, all of the remaining enemies will move to attack Kaze, who should survive (and have Guard Stance built up by now? I don't think it matters though) and the two mercenaries who are paired up and both have wyrmslayers should also move now.

Have Kaze kill a mage so that Corrin can get into range to attack the mercenaries and have him do so. After he's killed the lead, have Azura refresh him so that he can kill the second one. There should be one mage left at this point, who will attack someone but be unable to ORKO them, letting you clean up the kill, probably with Kaze since Corrin will get like one experience. Deal with the reinforcements and have Corrin kill the boss.

So yeah...Kaze is already dead You listed 5 different characters and I only have 4 total. My only backup is someone with a club that does 4 damage, the dancer and the healer. Am I screwed? I don't understand this...this is the very beginning of the game. Awakening was nothing like this. I guess I should restart on normal, but the description made it sound like normal=easy and hard=normal.

Luigi87

So yeah...Kaze is already dead You listed 5 different characters and I only have 4 total. My only backup is someone with a club that does 4 damage, the dancer and the healer. Am I screwed? I don't understand this...this is the very beginning of the game. Awakening was nothing like this. I guess I should restart on normal, but the description made it sound like normal=easy and hard=normal.

Losing Kaze in Chapter 4 is pretty bad as it's very useful to pair him with Rinkah for Chapter 5.

Chapter 5 is a map that's all about teaching proper unit placement. Knowing when to go into an enemy danger zone to pull enemies toward you and killing them (For the record, Corrin should pretty much kill EVERY enemy in Chapter 5... ideally Corrin kills every enemy in ch.1-5 for exp, but anyway). You absolutely need to use Azura's Sing to ensure Corrin can kill multiple enemies in a turn (start the left side, then go right). The reason having Kaze and Rinkah together helps is they can be used as a positional blocker preventing Wyrmslayers from closing in on Corrin on enemy turns.

You don't need to restart, but really you aren't far into the game yet and I probably would (especially since Kaze is a good unit to have if you're playing Birthright).

idk what you'd want to do without Kaze, it's probably possible but I don't know how you'd go about it.

Awakening's difficulty was also frontloaded though, it's just that it's super easy outside of Lunatic.

This thread has continually surprised me with the number of people who don't do resets on Classic, my assumption from chilling at the FE subreddit was that was how most players went about this.

Busaiku

Hurray, I finally beat Conquest.

I had to unfortunately skip the credits and stuff, so I'm not entirely sure what I picked characters for.
Don't seem to notice anything in any of the menus though.

I lost Azura in the last battle, did that have an impact on the ending?

Yeah I appreciate Conquest's limited ability to grind. I'm worrying less about who's a good character and just going with who I like. For a first playthrough I'm not so worried about min-maxing anyway. It's definitely not required to beat the main game (I hope, still on Chapter 17 of Conquest). I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of Nohr-side characters though. Without the ability to grind I won't get to see if they're any good. One good thing about Awakening was that you could see the vast majority of content in one playthrough. There's good way that I can see to be able to view all the support conversations for all the Nohr units.

I adore Conquest so far, and it might even be my favourite Fire Emblem at this point, but as much as I like the limited-resources format of the old FEs, I think there is definitely a tension between a no-grind design and the unlocking of paralogues via supports that you just won't have enough time/turns to build in a single run. I'm not so concerned about missing out on the children (and I never come close to seeing all the character content anyway); it's the maps themselves that I want to experience. I didn't grind in Awakening either until the postgame, at which point I built supports just to unlock the remaining missions because I wanted to run them. In Conquest, I didn't get my first S-rank until after Chapter 19 (although my S-supports are coming in steadily now) and it's clear that I won't get to see everything unless I do some postgame support-building in the DLC, if that is even a viable option.

I guess the issue for me is that Conquest on Hard/Classic is the perfect difficulty for me and I'm having the time of my life running it with no guides, no optimization, and no pre-planning, just figuring out all the mechanics and classes for myself. I couldn't imagine encountering the paralogues any other way: I want to see them on Hard first, and I want to go in cold. But I'm also unlikely to play through Conquest on Hard more than once in the foreseeable future once my first run is done, not only because I have the other two campaigns to get through, but also because it's very time-consuming to perfectly thread a needle through every turn and I can't imagine I'll ever find the time to do it again from scratch.

Incidentally, for those with an S-rank on their avatar,
I take it the child mission for the avatar is one of the few that is the same in all versions of the game? I ask because it stuck out as laughably trivial next to everything else I'd been through, including the other offspring paralogues I've seen—not just in the scaling but also the map design and enemy complexity. Don't tell me Birthright is that straightforward?

I'm currently on Chapter 17 of Conquest and getting destroyed. I'm getting overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of enemies on the map. Mobs of 5 ninjas swarming all over me at once are pretty rough even when tanking chokepoints with Effie since those defense-reducing attacks turn her into paper. I thought 16 was pretty rough too but managed to survive after multiple restarts. I'm wondering if I'm under-leveled for 17.

So far the only promoted units on my team are Corrin (Nohr Noble), Elise (Strategist), Leo and Xander (who I'm trying not to rely on too much). All my other units are around level 18 or 19 so quite close to promotion. It feels like if I could promote a few of them, mainly Arthur, Silas, Effie and Beruka I might have better luck with this chapter. I'm also using Azura, Niles, Mozu, Kaze and Felicia (for added healing and Niles support grinding) I'm fighting against a lot of promoted units in this chapter and the master ninjas in the centre of the map in particular are giving me trouble. Obviously I want to wait until level 20 before promoting and I'm trying not to resort to grinding, although I did run through the Before Awakening map a few times to max supports between Azura/Arthur and Effie/Silas.

You are on a similar pace to what I had in Conquest 17 in terms of promotions, and are ahead of me on supports, though I managed to get two or three units to level 20 and spend seals on them in the middle of the map. This mission took me a long time to get through purely in the number of turns, though just a few attempts (three or four, I think). The trick is to understand the pathing for the enemy units and engage them at advantageous chokes.

To be honest, from my second attempt forward I didn't bother using the Dragon Veins to raise or lower the walls at all, and just followed the default path as a single army with little to no splitting. It does make the map very long, as it forces you into a winding route back and forth, but it has the advantage of keeping clumps of enemies contained until you are ready to deal with them. Keeping the whole army together meant I had failsafes ready in case the hit chance wasn't going my way, and keeping the back line alive was not an issue so long as I could hold the chokes. Something to be aware of is that you don't need to disarm the traps as soon as you see them: it's worthwhile to leave some of them in place (until Saizo gets to them) to slow the enemy down so you can deal with one choke point with your force before you take out the other. I also relied on Xander a lot, but just to tank damage and soak the damage debuffs from all the shuriken, which still wasn't enough to put much of a dent in him. A flying unit is also helpful for escorting your lockpickers up to the traps or flying your tanks right over the traps to hold the line while you advance.

Having a lot of fun, I don't know if there are a lot of spoilers here but currently on Chapter 8 I think...
  • What is the point of leveling up Lilith? Lilith will help defend your castle when people attack.
  • My Castle tips? I see that online people can destroy what you build, what!? I believe that people who StreetPass you can choose to attack your base. Your buildings won't be affected.
  • Does marriage happens automatically or you kind of "choose" when? Because I'm currently playing to max them out a little so they can work in pairs 2 units will marry when you initiate the S-rank support. You can choose to do it whenever you want.
  • Azura is amazing but... then what is the next recommendation to upgrade? Azura doesn't have an actual class change with a Master Seal. You can change her class with the other types of seals. I'm not sure if there's any specific class she would be suited for so it's up to you to decide what you want to change her into.

I have become obssesed with this thing, I stopped playing the Witcher lol

Teggy

Losing Kaze in Chapter 4 is pretty bad as it's very useful to pair him with Rinkah for Chapter 5.

Chapter 5 is a map that's all about teaching proper unit placement. Knowing when to go into an enemy danger zone to pull enemies toward you and killing them (For the record, Corrin should pretty much kill EVERY enemy in Chapter 5... ideally Corrin kills every enemy in ch.1-5 for exp, but anyway). You absolutely need to use Azura's Sing to ensure Corrin can kill multiple enemies in a turn (start the left side, then go right). The reason having Kaze and Rinkah together helps is they can be used as a positional blocker preventing Wyrmslayers from closing in on Corrin on enemy turns.

You don't need to restart, but really you aren't far into the game yet and I probably would (especially since Kaze is a good unit to have if you're playing Birthright).

idk what you'd want to do without Kaze, it's probably possible but I don't know how you'd go about it.

This thread has continually surprised me with the number of people who don't do resets on Classic, my assumption from chilling at the FE subreddit was that was how most players went about this.

Thanks, I will probably start over on normal as much as it hurts my pride. I think I definitely had the right idea on how to beat the map, but was totally hamstrung by losing a unit. My MO is to generally keep units completely out of range and then strategically put one in the danger zone to pull the units I want toward me.

Regarding why I didn't replay after losing Kaze - I did that pretty much through the entirety of Awakening until the last 1 or 2 chapters when I felt like it wasn't going to be a big deal to lose a couple of lesser units. Here, it was so early in the game, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal and why play on classic if I was going to act like it was casual? Turned out I was completely wrong lol.

Hugstable

Banned
man I am just not having good luck today. Haven't progressed anything after 4 hours of play tonight, getting frustrated over paralogues and chapter 23 birthright. Decide to now go an do one of those Challenge fights to grind for the first time, have now gotten characters randomly killed 3 times now just in those battles, thus restarts. I feel terrible at this game

Luigi87

Thanks, I will probably start over on normal as much as it hurts my pride. I think I definitely had the right idea on how to beat the map, but was totally hamstrung by losing a unit. My MO is to generally keep units completely out of range and then strategically put one in the danger zone to pull the units I want toward me.

Regarding why I didn't replay after losing Kaze - I did that pretty much through the entirety of Awakening until the last 1 or 2 chapters when I felt like it wasn't going to be a big deal to lose a couple of lesser units. Here, it was so early in the game, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal and why play on classic if I was going to act like it was casual? Turned out I was completely wrong lol.

Just before you jump into normal I still say give Hard another try.
My reasoning is to my understanding is that there is a big gap between Normal and Hard, and if you again find yourself finding Hard too much you can then drop the difficulty during the game, however you cannot raise it back up to Hard if you suddenly think Normal is too easy.

And you definitely have the right idea about pulling from the danger zone (albeit there are some maps where that won't work as enemies won't respond even to their danger zone unless you proceed closer so a group of them can go at you at once... That was fun to learn...)

Teggy

Just before you jump into normal I still say give Hard another try.
My reasoning is to my understanding is that there is a big gap between Normal and Hard, and if you again find yourself finding Hard too much you can then drop the difficulty during the game, however you cannot raise it back up to Hard if you suddenly think Normal is too easy.

And you definitely have the right idea about pulling from the danger zone (albeit there are some maps where that won't work as enemies won't respond even to their danger zone unless you proceed closer so a group of them can go at you at once... That was fun to learn...)

How do you lower difficulty during the game? I was actually looking to do that during this battle and couldn't figure it out.

Luigi87

How do you lower difficulty during the game? I was actually looking to do that during this battle and couldn't figure it out.

I just remembered you don't get access to that option until Chapter 7, lol (after MyCastle becomes accessible).

Screw Conquest 10, that shit was easy. Where's the hate for Conquest 13? I can't crack this nut,
Reina j
ust destroys everybody and ORKO's Effie, who up to this point has just facetanked everything in the game. Here I thought Nohr had tanky units...

Screw Conquest 10, that shit was easy. Where's the hate for Conquest 13? I can't crack this nut,
Reina j
ust destroys everybody and ORKO's Effie, who up to this point has just facetanked everything in the game. Here I thought Nohr had tanky units...
This was tricky and I'll admit I kind of RNG lucked out some but Camilla with a block and a hand axe counter made dealing with Reina a lot easier. This map was definitely easier than chapter 10 lol, maybe try getting Kaze a guard and having him bait Reina in for the counter?

Top Bottom