• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

jRPG

Also: Ryoma can loose his helmet?! I saw the beach pic of him, and am already deeply confused.

I genuinely didn't notice this until towards the end of the game. He can lose his white jacket too. I haven't seen any one else lose anything yet (except their lives ;_; *resets*).

BlackJace

Are the two Samurais supposed to be this shit? I was planning on reclassing my avatar to a samurai but jeez, it'd be a shame if I only have one.

DontBlink

I genuinely didn't notice this until towards the end of the game. He can lose his white jacket too. I haven't seen any one else lose anything yet (except their lives ;_; *resets*).

Same here, I only noticed it in the Conquest Endgame where
Takumi was in his underwear as I was finishing him off.
Never paid attention to this beforehand.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Birthright and moving onto Conquest. I had intended to play all 3 but kind of wish I'd just played Conquest instead. The story is just too bad and Conquest is supposed to have the gameplay to make up for it at least.... I don't know, I genuinely enjoyed Awakening much more than this.

I was amused by an interesting fashion choice during the ending though:

b9a71.jpg
A bookcase?

Anyway onto Conquest now, hopefully I'll enjoy it a little more. Can't imagine getting through Revelations the characters and the story are just too distractingly awful.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to approach Conquest difficulty wise.

Awakening was an odd one, normal mode was waaaay too easy for me but I didn't find Hard particularly enjoyable for a few reasons (late game seemed dependant on abusing pair up, the ability to grind sometimes seemed a touch mandatory when every foe leapt up to silver weapons and of course the instant moving reinforcements).
Path of Radiance and Sacred Stones default difficulties worked out well for me but with these new ones I'm having trouble pinning down a similar level of challenge.

With Conquest I've played up to Chapter 8 in both normal and hard, with hard I get the feeling it's going to get a bit too aggravating for me (couldn't even keep all the new troops alive in chapter 7) while having done the first paralogue on the normal run it seems a bit too easy with me being able to send the bulky knight lass on her own way taking no damage through the top area of the map.

So basically what I'm asking here is do things ramp up enough on normal conquest to at least hit a PoR style difficulty level?
(I bet hard birthright is probably more my speed but that's for later I guess).

Dee Dee

If you want to see someone in their underwear, just remember to bring Sophie.
Most ridiculous character skill in the whole game.

Sölf

ASKJGHCABSKALSBGCASCHS!!!!

Chapter 26 is totally fucking me up left and right. After getting past the left side after some tries I even got to the end.
When I forgot Hans could dual attack with one of the Spear Generals, which resulted and Charlotte dieing because Hans' 34% crit chance. The worst thing? I could habe paired up Charlotte with some so he wouldn't have been able to attack her, I just completely forgot that.
After that I played like shit for a few tries: Healer getting exposed and oneshotted, forgetting that 2 enemies could attack a certain character so that character died, forgetting to switch equipment which resulted in another death... and so on. And when I finally managed to beat the left side again (right side is always dead at this point) my 3DS fell down and told me the cartridge was removed. Which it wasn't.

Fuck everything.

Azuran

Banned
I was amused by an interesting fashion choice during the ending though:

b9a71.jpg
A bookcase?

Actually a shelf for holding potions and herbs. It's actually part of the Apothecary class.

If you want to see someone in their underwear, just remember to bring Sophie.
Most ridiculous character skill in the whole game.

You can also equip Raider weapons which do the same thing too.

The Sophie skill is hilarious because it makes little sense until you realized it's meant for PvP where equipment gives bonuses to units.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to approach Conquest difficulty wise.

Awakening was an odd one, normal mode was waaaay too easy for me but I didn't find Hard particularly enjoyable for a few reasons (late game seemed dependant on abusing pair up, the ability to grind sometimes seemed a touch mandatory when every foe leapt up to silver weapons and of course the instant moving reinforcements).
Path of Radiance and Sacred Stones default difficulties worked out well for me but with these new ones I'm having trouble pinning down a similar level of challenge.

With Conquest I've played up to Chapter 8 in both normal and hard, with hard I get the feeling it's going to get a bit too aggravating for me (couldn't even keep all the new troops alive in chapter 7) while having done the first paralogue on the normal run it seems a bit too easy with me being able to send the bulky knight lass on her own way taking no damage through the top area of the map.

So basically what I'm asking here is do things ramp up enough on normal conquest to at least hit a PoR style difficulty level?
(I bet hard birthright is probably more my speed but that's for later I guess).

Assuming you're playing Classic, Conquest Normal will absolutely hit default PoR difficulty and skyrocket past Sacred Stones. Also bear in mind there is no grinding without DLC in Conquest which along with the fact that you don't get a while lot of funds to bolster your army means the final stretch can get brutal at times. Birthright on the other hand remains relatively easy throughout, even without grinding.

Actually a shelf for holding potions and herbs. It's actually part of the Apothecary class.

You can also equip Raider weapons which do the same thing too.

The Sophie skill is hilarious because it makes little sense until you realized it's meant for PvP where equipment gives bonuses to units.
Wow really? I never thought of that in all the time I've used her. I thought it was a joke skill akin to Odin's personal skill.

Assuming you're playing Classic, Conquest Normal will absolutely hit default PoR difficulty and skyrocket past Sacred Stones. Also bear in mind there is no grinding without DLC in Conquest which along with the fact that you don't get a while lot of funds to bolster your army means the final stretch can get brutal at times. Birthright on the other hand remains relatively easy throughout, even without grinding.

Just the kind of answer I was hoping for, cheers!
Good to know classic conquest normal should hit the spot, now I can start pushing onwards through this game.

Sölf

Finally beat chapter 26. Took me another 2-3 hours, so roughly 4-5 in total I think. I made quite a few mistakes, which was basically the only reason why I lost units. After that I gave a Weapon Scroll to Nyx and Charlotte for the two S weapons you get. Bought another Energy Drop which I have Selena and the Angel's Wing I gave Corrin. Also forged a few more weapons and bought some more items.

Corrin and Niles both reached level 20, 3 others are 19. Since the third siege appeared I will try that one tomorrow to get a few more levels and then the finale (if Conquest also has 27 chapters, which I think it will).

TheJoRu

Question: In the B-support conversation between Mozu and Jakob, what is that music? I like it a lot, but I haven't heard it anywhere else in the game, it's not in the theater where you listen to the game's music nor have I found it online. Have I missed it or is it just not listed?

Edit: Also in C-support conversation between Jakob and Silas, probably more I haven't unlocked.

Edit2: Never mind, found it! It's called Dance in the Dark.

Xenoflare

How do I obtain more Seraph robes?

I do know that

1) Staff store carries 1 once you upgrade to level 3

2) Battle/Visit Rank bonus

3) Chests in certain chapters

4) Play as Sakura in Royal Royale (lol no fuck that)

And what else? I heard the ballistician DLC gives it, is it true?

Hmm almost done with conquest, now at chapter 22. I can't belive I prefer the cast of awaking, the
returning children
are the ones whom I most interested in lol . Even chrome have more personality than the MC here and non of the side characters in fates are that interesting.Conquest Maps is super fun compared to Awakening maps, chapter 10 (? The one by the port) is one of the best map in fire emblem too. Still have around 40 chapters of conquest, Rebirth and revelations to play =)

Still it will be nice if we have another FE that have a interesting story again haha.

Reset

Huh, the worst thing about is that he's kinda boring personality wise. But if we're talking about characters with no personality at all/the most dullest then the Hoshido(Takumi is the exception) family takes it. They make Chrom interesting by comparison.

Dee Dee

Wow sudden Chrom hate. Is it the heat, or too much Fire Emblem getting to you?

Chrom was a perfectly fine protagonist, upright and likeable, carried by convictions and deeply caring.
How you can call him boring while looking at Azura and Corrin is beyond me.

He's not Ryoma, we can agree on that though.

While we are bringing up unreasonable nonsense: So endgame, huh?
How???
Why??

Time to feed ALL my stat items to Corrin and keep hoping for that 3% crit.
I might end up setting this to easy phoenix mode, because ain't nobody got time for that...

End of chapter 27 birthright spoilers:
Does Kaze or any other unit that dies on your playthrough show up in your dream death? I didn't lose Kaze, so I was wondering.

redcrayon

Chrom is a piece of shit as a character.
How?

I prefer him to most of the naive teenage FE leads (like Corrin). He tempers the need for action with a sense of responsibility gained from actual command experience, and his friendly openness comes across as strong, measured optimism proven right over time, rather than the usual JRPG I'll-trust-anyone dumb naivety of a sheltered child blessed with insane luck. Ryoma and Xander are similar archetypes as NPC big-brother command types, but their blind loyalty/ hatred for the enemy means that they don't have any of the reasonable, easygoing charm of Chrom. Good voice acting too.

Man, I got sweaty palms near the end of Royal Royale with Team Sakura. I assume you were meant to gun for the Energy Drop from Ryoma?

Because my characters were doing crap all damage to Xander until I decided to suicide against him with Subaki's Swordcatcher.

Man, I got sweaty palms near the end of Royal Royale with Team Sakura. I assume you were meant to gun for the Energy Drop from Ryoma?

Because my characters were doing crap all damage to Xander until I decided to suicide against him with Subaki's Swordcatcher.

Sakura's team would have a much better time if she had a Shining Bow instead of a Silver Yumi, RIP Subaki.

Sakura's team would have a much better time if she had a Shining Bow instead of a Silver Yumi, RIP Subaki.

I cried as soon as I saw it wasn't in her inventory like in Beach Brawl.

Haha, Subaki survived somehow. Which was great, since I needed him to stab Ryoma in the face later.

-shadow-

I'm just wondering, but how does the difficulty between Birthright and Conquest compare to each other? I'm playing Birthright on normal and only had one character die on me so far due to a stupid mistake. It's really ridiculously easy so far.

Xenoflare

I'm just wondering, but how does the difficulty between Birthright and Conquest compare to each other? I'm playing Birthright on normal and only had one character die on me so far due to a stupid mistake. It's really ridiculously easy so far.

For me, conquest normal was more challenging than birthright hard

Birthright is kinda a joke overall on normal, actually, "kinda" is an understatement

ErichWK

Lost my 3ds with the limited edition version of this game in it in an airplane a few weeks ago...my heart is fucking broken. :/

Shinypogs

I don't care how cheap a tactic it is. My solution to kitsune hell on lunatic is benny with a beast killer while paladin avatar hides in the mountains with camilla occasionally coming down to snipe stragglers.

Speaking of camilla she is getting the worst fucking level ups I have ever had for her. Lunatic seems to have decided she is unworthy of her place on the team. I might have to swap her out for xander.

Xenoflare

I don't care how cheap a tactic it is. My solution to kitsune hell on lunatic is benny with a beast killer while paladin avatar hides in the mountains with camilla occasionally coming down to snipe stragglers.

Speaking of camilla she is getting the worst fucking level ups I have ever had for her. Lunatic seems to have decided she is unworthy of her place on the team. I might have to swap her out for xander.

Aren't growth rates in Lunatic locked?

Yo, so I'm doing a Lunatic Conquest run and I'm wondering what skill I should pass on to Mozu's kid (Percy). Since the stats are fixed, is Aptitude worthless, or does it still positively affect level ups?

PK Gaming

Re: Heirs of Fate

The entire thing was... actually pretty good? Like i'm baffled how some of these parts of the story weren't included in the main game, because there's some crucial, crucial stuff here.
The big one is how they develop the primary antagonist, Anankos. You learn pretty much nothing about him in Revelation, which is pretty galling. The characters were well handled, and the royal kids in general really got to shine.
Nice bit of development on the kids via the conversations too.

In my eyes, it's the true end to Fates's story.

Xenoflare

Re: Heirs of Fate

The entire thing was... actually pretty good? Like i'm baffled how some of these parts of the story weren't included in the main game, because there's some crucial, crucial stuff here.
The big one is how they develop the primary antagonist, Anankos. You learn pretty much nothing about him in Revelation, which is pretty galling. The characters were well handled, and the royal kids in general really got to shine.
Nice bit of development on the kids via the conversations too.

In my eyes, it's the true end to Fates's story.

I think if Awakening's plot is used on Fates would function better

Specifically

You choose a side in the beginning and it ends, but the children from the future is trying to stop you since they know that Anankos is the true culprit and wants to destroy both kingdoms

But it would mean that the two version thing won't work out

In endless dreams, countless realms collide
Hope falls only to rise like the changing tide
But all dreams come to an end,
Just whispers on the wind

And the other half?

Is Mozu worth it to train her up in Conquest hard mode? I've only get her to level 4 after finishing her paralogue.

Yes. She's currently one of my strongest units and she's like 2 levels behind mostly everyone else I'm using lol.

Just turn her into an Archer (keeping her as Villager to level 10 to get Underdog is optional) and then to a Sniper when she reaches level 20.

Nohar

My Mozu has fantastic stats all around (including a decent Defense), but has somewhat low Strenght, which is 17 at level 5 (Sniper), while Niles has... well, 18. I wonder if I got RNG-screwed.
At least she makes a lot of Crits thanks to her Killer Bow.

My Mozu has fantastic stats all around (including a decent Defense), but has somewhat low Strenght, which is 17 at level 5 (Sniper), while Niles has... well, 18. I wonder if I got RNG-screwed.
At least she makes a lot of Crits thanks to her Killer Bow.

Definitely. Mozu is supposed to have high strength.

For comparison, my Mozu at level 9 has 27 strength (and my Niles at the same level has 24 haha).

Dark_castle

How are the first gen units compare with second gen ones? In Awakening, second gen characters are often always the strongest, little reason to use the first gen characters outside of Robin.

Velcro Fly

Just having fun with Birthright. I'll play a chapter or two, then mess around on a challenge map or something trying out new units that I just recruited. I know Conquest is going to kick my ass but I plan to cheat and use the DLC map. I'm more interested in trying new units out and having fun that way instead of being super serious about the game being hard.

Top Bottom