• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon is partnering up with Xbox to deliver Xbox Cloud Gaming via Fire TV devices

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I don’t care how many devices they put it on until they fix their servers. They are absolute shit. Graphics quality is horrible and the latency is worse. They need to quit expanding the service and fix the service first then maybe people will care it’s an absolute crying, shame, how bad they are compared to the competition.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Every TV in my house has a Fire Stick so I guess that means I now have multiple places to play Xbox Games Pass. Combined with Luna partnering with GOG to offer streaming for games on their platform I've somehow ended up with a massive streaming library by doing nothing.

King Dazzar

I don’t care how many devices they put it on until they fix their servers. They are absolute shit. Graphics quality is horrible and the latency is worse. They need to quit expanding the service and fix the service first then maybe people will care it’s an absolute crying, shame, how bad they are compared to the competition.
I tried it maybe a year or so ago. The Forgotten City iirc. And it looked lower res than the 1080p it was allegedly streaming at. Had bad near black pixelization and worse, some noticeable input lag. And that was via an actual Xbox console, where there will be minimal controller lag etc.

I get the convenience, but for me I'm plopping this in with mobile gaming - not for me and not the way I roll. I also think this will without any shadow of a doubt become infested with ads. Not the future for gaming I want to be part of.

SHA

There are 20 million xbox series consoles for the cloud service, they serve better than used consoles.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Can't wait for the game pass app on my PS5, should be within the next year at this rate.
In all seriousness. If they effectively exit the hardware side of things. And do become solely a publisher. Then surely it becomes similar to Ubisoft EA etc. But I dont see how it happens whilst they still compete on hardware. No hardware, maybe no issue. So PS7 maybe?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I don’t care how many devices they put it on until they fix their servers. They are absolute shit. Graphics quality is horrible and the latency is worse. They need to quit expanding the service and fix the service first then maybe people will care it’s an absolute crying, shame, how bad they are compared to the comp.
I tried it maybe a year or so ago. The Forgotten City iirc. And it looked lower res than the 1080p it was allegedly streaming at. Had bad near black pixelization and worse, some noticeable input lag. And that was via an actual Xbox console, where there will be minimal controller lag etc.

I get the convenience, but for me I'm plopping this in with mobile gaming - not for me and not the way I roll. I also think this will without any shadow of a doubt become infested with ads. Not the future for gaming I want to be part of.
try GeForce now and you will see what cloud gaming is capable of! Without out a doubt this is the cream of the crop. Still more to go but it’s the best

King Dazzar

try GeForce now and you will see what cloud gaming is capable of! Without out a doubt this is the cream of the crop. Still more to go but it’s the best
Yeah I'd have thought on the Tv app side, theres still going to be challenges around the input latency and any dualsense like features. But if we do get it to a great place image quality wise and input latency is great. For me, I just cant get past, not only navigating to the app through an ad infested Fire TV ui, but then the likely ads that entwine themselves into the service. Surely only further encouraged by the very platform they are partnered too.

Eiknarf

What if I have a new TV and don't use a Fire TV Stick?

I thought the only reason to get a Fire TV Stick is if your TV was older and didnt have all the apps and updated firmware and shit?

Are new TV owners punished?

clarky

Gold Member
I really do need to get off Virgin Media broadband because the latency is shite.

In general or with xcloud? because im with virgin fibre 1gig and its rapid 3ms ping tops.

Apart from them throttling at busy times ive never had an issue.

We just got city fibre down our street thats 2gig up and down but i dont think it could get noticeably any better.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure that app is not in the store on my tcl tv.

Yeah, not sure.

qHzg7Ty.jpeg

Last edited:

Great move. Now package xbox controllers with firesticks and they can recover a little this gen.
Although I could use my phone, I may be tempted to get this setup and use cloud to multiroom xbox gaming across the house.

How many instances of gamepass ultimate can you have running at once?

Dorfdad

Gold Member

I thought the only reason to get a Fire TV Stick is if your TV was older and didnt have all the apps and updated firmware and shit?

I’ve asked this for a while even GeForce now is limited on new TV’s and I forgot where I was told but it seems that the tv providers are not putting capable decoders / chips in TV’s that can support 4k/120 streams. Maybe they were wrong and it’s just a nvidia issue or capacity thing but I’d wish they get it sorted out.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The real punishment is actually trying to play games on Xcloud

YCoCg

Gold Member

In most cases the fire sticks are better than built in TV OS, it's only really the top range that would be better but even then you could get something like a 4k Max Fire Stick or a Nvidia Shield and boost past the TVs performance.

Ozriel

M$FT

The Fire TV 4K is still miles better than the software and performance on my recent ish LG OLED TV. Also much better than on the TCL Android TV I picked up a while ago.

King Dazzar

Pretty sure that app is not in the store on my tcl tv.
Yeah the problem is, Google store apps availability will still vary from TV brand to TV brand, even when both using Android TV as their OS. It's as though the TV brand still steer some of what is available. I'm not sure what the full reasons are.

But for example two of my TV's are a Philips OLED and a Sony Master Series and both use Android/Google TV. Some apps are available on both and some aren't. And some weren't available at release and were added later on. Needing TV brand to release their own patches to enable.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Microsoft will never make an inroad in the streaming device market at this point. The battle for Hdmi ports is real. No one is going to give up an Hdmi port just for Microsoft Could Gaming. Better to just have the service on devices that are in a billion homes already and save the cost of manufacturing hardware. As for Amazon it just makes the incentive for buying there devices a little more intriguing.

Yes, and they chose Amazon, which was curious. I would have gone to Roku and Google first.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I got disconnected probably about once every 2 hours, and it’s the only cloud service I’ve used where when it does get pixelated, like they all will at times, it’s the only one that wouldn’t really recover from it. With other services I could pause the game for like 3 seconds and the image would be clear again. On xcloud I had to close the game and open it again. It just wouldn’t recover.

Your experience is the minority. Don’t make an assumption on these types of products based on just your experience. ShadowPC did not work well where I was before, worked great once I moved.

twilo99

I don’t have a 4k fire stick. Just whatever like $40 stick they had like two years ago and it is also the laggiest piece of shit I’ve ever used.

$40 gets you the 4K and I think they’ve got 4K max which has more on board memory or something. They are obviously both based on an ARM chipset, which I think they might be subsidizing because they price is pretty low.

Walmart has their own onn 4k pro which I think is the better option at $50

Top Bottom