• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon is partnering up with Xbox to deliver Xbox Cloud Gaming via Fire TV devices

bender

What time is it?
The next Xbox came sooner than anyone expected.

grin-evil.gif

Lunarorbit

Hopefully this works cause I'm so fucking sick of microsoft trying to put xbox everywhere. Good for you but please stop clapping yourselves on the back every couple of years when you try this initiative.

gokurho

Now that Google is gone and Amazon a partner, it seems like Xbox has no competition. Fucking monopolies!
13645435523_518bc34d06_b.jpg

When you talk about Nintendo and Sony, we have a ton of respect for them, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward
Our King🫅

Last edited:

kapshin

I will actually use this, I have some sideload jank on mine but it works decent. When they say soon like days or what anyone know?

EDIT: found it July apparently

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Yes, and they chose Amazon, which was curious. I would have gone to Roku and Google first.
I get the feeling these companies would not give Microsoft the time of day if they are not promised some kind of exclusivity. I believe Samsung is still the only TV manufacturer to offer Gamepass on it's sets. Sucks that Samsung killed Steamlink on it's sets by the way.
Kind of odd that Gamepass is only mentioned for the lowest end Fire devices. Nothing for the Cube or any Fire TV sets? Perhaps it's by design so Microsoft could emphasize the value of getting Gamepass on a very inexpensive device? And maybe then you would not question the price of the subscription too much?

Also Google just released Playables for Youtube. I had no idea it was cloud gaming. Although easier to pull off with the games they are offering. Perhaps they had no interest in Gamepass overshadowing them in this area.
If Google can actually pull legit cloud gaming through Youtube in a few years, I think it will be game over for everybody else in the cloud gaming space.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Sooner than expected, their infrastructure isn’t there yet, and needs to be on Apple TV too, and needs to be unlocked from console hardware on the server side. But it’s a start.

Sony need to get PlayStation streaming onto Netflix next, or bundle it in with a premium Crunchyroll tier. PS3 streaming is still holding back their streaming ambitions IMO.

reinking

Gold Member
Do people think this is going honestly to move the needle? Not fantasy numbers but a true increase in subs for Game Pass? I'm not seeing it but I have been wrong before.

Sorcerer

Do people think this is going honestly to move the needle? Not fantasy numbers but a true increase in subs for Game Pass? I'm not seeing it but I have been wrong before.
If Microsoft can keep up the momentum from the showcase, you may get casuals who would never pony up for a Series X or S, to take a chance on a cheap firestick (they may already own anyway) to try out some games. Problem is they may drop in for a game, drop out when they are done with the game if they are that casual anyway. That's always a problem when going for the lowest common denominator, loyalty is never a guarantee. I suspect Doom will drive some subs for sure. Call of Duty players are probably a bit more than casual.

Last edited:

Starhowl

I don’t care how many devices they put it on until they fix their servers. They are absolute shit. Graphics quality is horrible and the latency is worse. They need to quit expanding the service and fix the service first then maybe people will care it’s an absolute crying, shame, how bad they are compared to the competition.
What I dislike most is that the colors are off.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Then why wasn't this done years ago?
Really? Was Microsoft reaching out to get streaming on devices years ago? Was the Fire Stick 4k gen 1 compatible? Was the service available on other, similar products and TV Oses that compete against FireTV years ago? Why does something need to happen in the past to validate a claim that Amazon puts competing services on their devices? They do this because FireTV is their attempt to provide a winning solution as a TV OS/UX upgrade device and MS reached out to them and the time was right. With the way people sub/unsub streaming services having Xbox on a FireStick could actually strengthen Luna because people could try that service after setting it up for Xbox. Amazon can directly sell subs and link it to your account too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are they upgrading Xcloud?

I feel they need to do that before they push forward with any of this stuff. They should be providing the best experience out of anyone, not the worst.

j0hnnix

shoot and i already switched back to my shield in the living room. i really did love using geforce now but didnt want to pay for the extra sub.

Schmick

Get Minecraft on xCloud please MS (with keyboard and mouse support). I wont have to keep my Xbox One anymore and can my upgrade my TV to a new Samsung one with Xbox Gamepass and Geforce Now preloaded!

Last edited:

Eiknarf

So if you could play Next Gen Gaming with a $60 FireStick, does that mean consoles are overpriced? Why would anyone pay $499 for a PlayStation 5 XBOX Series X?

Shouldn't they be no more than $199??

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
So if you could play Next Gen Gaming with a $60 FireStick, does that mean consoles are overpriced? Why would anyone pay $499 for a PlayStation 5 XBOX Series X?

Shouldn't they be no more than $199??
$60 + $40-60 for a controller + $20 for an Ethernet Adapter + $120 for a year of Games Pass.

Eiknarf

$60 + $40-60 for a controller + $20 for an Ethernet Adapter + $120 for a year of Games Pass.
So $60 plus $60 for the controller plus $20 for the Ethernet Adapter equals $140

(I’m not including the game pass cuz peeps who don’t buy physical games use that to play games on their consoles already)

So $199 sounds right for the next XBOX console (if they make one) and the next Play-Station 6 (if they plan to compete).

People won’t drop $499 for a PS6 when the competition is $60 plus a controller

So no, the PS6 will no longer be $499

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont do cloud/stream gaming, so all I can go on are what people say on forums.

Are any of these streaming services good? So even for twitchy MP games, its good enough to be competitive? Or in MP games, you'll always get smoked by wired gamers?

By the sounds of it, stream services are junk(?) on gaming forums.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
I dont do cloud/stream gaming, so all I can go on are what people say on forums.

Are any of these streaming services good? So even for twitchy MP games, its good enough to be competitive? Or in MP games, you'll always get smoked by wired gamers?

By the sounds of it, stream services are junk(?) on gaming forums.
Only REAL good one is Geforce Now by Nvidia since they use their custom hardware to stream at the lowest latency possible and can even stream up to 120fps to help it out even more.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So $60 plus $60 for the controller plus $20 for the Ethernet Adapter equals $140

(I’m not including the game pass cuz peeps who don’t buy physical games use that to play games on their consoles already)

So $199 sounds right for the next XBOX console (if they make one) and the next Play-Station 6 (if they plan to compete).

People won’t drop $499 for a PS6 when the competition is $60 plus a controller

So no, the PS6 will no longer be $499
"People won’t drop $499 for a PS6 when the competition is $60 plus a controller"

Why not? You've frequently been able to get a series s for huge discounts and they still haven't sold. You're overestimating the mainstream appeal of Ms and streaming by a huge margin.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Only REAL good one is Geforce Now by Nvidia since they use their custom hardware to stream at the lowest latency possible and can even stream up to 120fps to help it out even more.
And MS are now starting some kind of partnership with Nvidia for Geforce Now.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
ok. I just heard a good analysis.

This "partnership" is going to be one of those things were the Xbox community/influencers are going to hype it to the stratosphere to: "set xbox for world domination"... it seems the market interesting in gaming via Amazon luna/free games is around 300,000..

let's be optimistic and say that GP on the Amazon stick could bring 1M subs....whats else? how is GP going to achieve 100M+ subs by '27-'28?

DaGwaphics

Good get for them. Roku would probably be even bigger, if the controller connection requirement wasn't a thing (that's where one of those controllers that connects directly to the cloud would do wonders).

Top Bottom