• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just beat ch 15 Lunatic Conquest, so SPOILERS.
....Wow. Birthright's story was dumb as rocks and I was warned about Conquest's, but nothing could have prepared me for this "plot". Let's invade another country to trick my demon imposter father to sit on their throne? Someone was paid actual money to come up with this?

NeonZ

Just beat ch 15 Lunatic Conquest, so SPOILERS.
....Wow. Birthright's story was dumb as rocks and I was warned about Conquest's, but nothing could have prepared me for this "plot". Let's invade another country to trick my demon imposter father to sit on their throne? Someone was paid actual money to come up with this?

And it was even an outsider guest writer.

Still, overall, it's clear the collaboration didn't turn out well, and IS won't go in that direction again considering how they didn't even bother bringing back the writer for Fates' own DLC and the Fire Emblem manga written by him they had announced was cancelled.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
And it was even an outsider guest writer.

Still, overall, it's clear the collaboration didn't turn out well, and IS won't go in that direction again considering how they didn't even bother bringing back the writer for Fates' own DLC and the Fire Emblem manga written by him they had announced was cancelled.
I remember reading the Iwata Asks before release and being unbelievably hyped. Shame that the games with the best gameplay mechanics imo have the indisputably worst story.

StayDead

Well, after a long road of giving up on Conquest and coming back to it I'm finally on the final chapter.

I can beat the boss well enough, but that final bit, my god whoever designed it like that is my worst enemy. I keep taking a little too much damage on someone and dying to something stupid. I don't have really the right units/weapons to do the rescue staff cheese and honestly it feels like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall.

Is it worth me maybe leaving this mission and grinding on castle battles? Honestly it feels outside of Leon, Marx, Camilla and Kamui none of my units are any good. I bring Elise along for healing, but she keeps getting killed, either her or Camilla gets randomly crit.

EDIT: Swapping Camilla to a Dragon Master, because although I've had her as a revenant knight for ages, her magic is really low and I need her to have the extra physical.

EDIT Again:

I did it!

I figured all the items I'd be hoarding incase I'd ever need them might actually come in handy if I use them, so I boosted the fuck out of my 4 main guys stats + Elise and just slowly tanked my way downwards, then once in range I rushed the boss with Marx and Kamui. Felt so fucking good, but damn I need to use items more often. I'm terrible in JRPGs for that. I hoard everything for a rainy day and the rainy day never appears so I have an inventory full of shit.

Cerium

I'm on Chapter 25 in Conquest, Hard Mode, and I'm wondering if I should even bother clearing this map when my Corrin can take on Ryoma fairly easily.

Just seems like a huge pain in the ass. Yeah the exp would be nice and my instincts as a completionist tell me to do it but it's so tempting to just skip.

Neoweee

How do Adjacent-effect Skills work with Pair Up?

Does the "front" unit count as adjacent to their "back" Pair during Guard Stance?

Does either unit's skills work on adjacent units? Both the front of pairs, and the back of pairs?

That seems like the key to Hard/Lunatic Conquest, which I'm attempting to so start (Normal Conquest and Hard Birthright down).

How do Adjacent-effect Skills work with Pair Up?

Does the "front" unit count as adjacent to their "back" Pair during Guard Stance?

Does either unit's skills work on adjacent units? Both the front of pairs, and the back of pairs?

That seems like the key to Hard/Lunatic Conquest, which I'm attempting to so start (Normal Conquest and Hard Birthright down).

This isn't Awakening, aura skills won't work from the back of a pairup.

sirronoh

Finally got a copy of the Fire Emblem Fates soundtrack. Even though I thought the story for this game was nonsense and a step down from Awakening (which itself wasn't special), the soundtrack is miles ahead of Awakening (which was already very good).

After years of listening to music from numerous Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts games, Zelda games, Super Mario RPG, Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono Cross, Xenoblade Chronicles, Child of Light, and Nier, and as exceptional as the music is in ALL of those games, I think the music from Fire Emblem Fates has surpassed them all as my new favorite OST.

From top to bottom, the soundtrack as a whole is simply phenomenal.

The music for Conquest Chapter 10 (Dark Wastes) is forever etched into my brain.

Finally got a copy of the Fire Emblem Fates soundtrack. Even though I thought the story for this game was nonsense and a step down from Awakening (which itself wasn't special), the soundtrack is miles ahead of Awakening (which was already very good).

After years of listening to music from numerous Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts games, Zelda games, Super Mario RPG, Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono Cross, Xenoblade Chronicles, Child of Light, and Nier, and as exceptional as the music is in ALL of those games, I think the music from Fire Emblem Fates has surpassed them all as my new favorite OST.

From top to bottom, the soundtrack as a whole is simply phenomenal.

The music for Conquest Chapter 10 (Dark Wastes) is forever etched into my brain.
Yeah, its my second favorite soundtrack from the series (RD being my Fave). Its a bummer that the DVD has songs you can't get.

Boogiepop

Okay, GAF, the latest Fire Emblem news has finally gotten me to dive back in for Conquest (and then in theory Revelations afterwards).

Like I did with Birthright, I'm playing on hard (with Classic) and really liking the balance that strikes (never tried it before in the past to be honest). That said... I just beat Chapter 10, and it was the first one that was kind of beating the crap out of me. Took a good number of tries until I finally got through it, but I did eventually bust through (and my Corrin got close enough to Arthur to marry him, so that's cool. Lagging a bit more than I probably should be with other support pairings, though.)

That said: I'm now slightly worried about potentially hitting a roadblock I can't get over somewhere down the line. Still intend to try as hard as I can before submitting to such measures, but this has me wondering about my options if I do completely stall out on a chapter. The obvious one that I know is that I could drop down to Normal, but I like where the balance is on Hard and would hate to have to do that. So that got me wondering... is there any particular DLC that would be recommended for if I do indeed get stuck, to give me a bit of a boost? (Or a list of the especially worthwhile DLC in general would be nice). Or alternatively, could I switch over to casual and force myself on an honor system to just use it as a minor buff (IE like maybe allow for one death late in a chapter if I'm especially stuck. But I really, really have no interest in using that as its intended "lol deaths don't matter" method straight up, as I'm guessing that likely REALLY busts the game). Hopefully I can stick to it pure, but hitting a tough spot this early has me slightly nervous that I may indeed need to look in alternative methods in the future.

Sölf

Hard 10 is one of the hardest, imo. I had plenty of problems later on, but nothing I couldn't overcome. One advice:

Try to marry as many characters as possible (without using completely useless/underleveld characters). If you do that, you can use their kid chapters to level up your team at some point and maybe even get a really useful new unit. Especially the kids of characters that are available in all routes, like Corrin's or Silas' kid, are really easy in comparison to their Nohr kids counterparts. Aside from that, abuse My Casle to it's fullset (with the exception of buying totally OP skills). Farm your materials, talk to people, invade other castles, level up Lilith, etc. It's probably the best way to beat the game without having to lower the difficulty to normal.

And, well, if you REALLY get stuck, use the Gold/EXP DLC.

-----------

Now to me. I reached chapter 27 in Revelations. So far, the story is the bullshit I expected, but I actually like the gameplay. It's not as hard as Conquest, but also not as dull as Birhtright. Just the fact that enemies gain SO MANY STATS in the last few chapters is a bit retarded. I will probably beat the game today or tomorrow and then maybe take a look at the second DLC (I also beat the Odin/Selena/Laslow DLC today, which was actually pretty cool). Not sure if I will recruit the missing children now or do that later, especially with FE Heroes being released in the next few days.

Lucifon

Odds that this gets ported to the Switch? I got the special edition but still haven't had chance to properly get stuck into the game.

Dysun

Had the special edition in the pile of shame since launch day but the new Direct motivated me to start playing. About half way through Birthright so far and I love it as much as Awakening. Still have 2.5 games to go too

Sölf

Aaaaaand done with Revelation!

Now, the really stupid story aside (which sadly is a staple in alle 3 Fates routes), I actually really enjoyed it gameplay wise. It also had the hardest finale of alle 3 routes.

Now, I started the Heir of Fate DLC and so far I actually like it. I will try to beat that one before Heroes comes around. I doubt I will do all other DLCs (recruiting Anna, getting the Witch/Ballista thingy, Beach DLC, etc) and I also won't recruit all children. Maybe later, but for the time, I am done with Fates except the Heirs of Fate DLC. Especially since Heroes will release in 2 days and the other ones in less than 4 months... xD

Boogiepop

Hard 10 is probably one of the biggest roadblocks in Conquest, as well as Hard 25. The other chapters are pretty manageable though.

Sölf;229391343 said:
Hard 10 is one of the hardest, imo. I had plenty of problems later on, but nothing I couldn't overcome. One advice:

Try to marry as many characters as possible (without using completely useless/underleveld characters). If you do that, you can use their kid chapters to level up your team at some point and maybe even get a really useful new unit. Especially the kids of characters that are available in all routes, like Corrin's or Silas' kid, are really easy in comparison to their Nohr kids counterparts. Aside from that, abuse My Casle to it's fullset (with the exception of buying totally OP skills). Farm your materials, talk to people, invade other castles, level up Lilith, etc. It's probably the best way to beat the game without having to lower the difficulty to normal.

And, well, if you REALLY get stuck, use the Gold/EXP DLC.

-----------

Now to me. I reached chapter 27 in Revelations. So far, the story is the bullshit I expected, but I actually like the gameplay. It's not as hard as Conquest, but also not as dull as Birhtright. Just the fact that enemies gain SO MANY STATS in the last few chapters is a bit retarded. I will probably beat the game today or tomorrow and then maybe take a look at the second DLC (I also beat the Odin/Selena/Laslow DLC today, which was actually pretty cool). Not sure if I will recruit the missing children now or do that later, especially with FE Heroes being released in the next few days.
Thanks guys. Things have been going a good bit smoother since 10, yeah. Up to chapter 17 and I've done a decent number of paralogues now. Also... because she was one of my two consistent healers (making her easier to S rank), I did indeed end up marrying her off (to Silas), but yeeeeeah... really not quite right to have Elise married with a kid. I... think I made Silas into a pedophile.

Cerium

Yo.

Not letting us save before the final battle on Conquest?

BULLSHIT.

The story isn't even good I don't know why I came back to this game.

Cerium

I finally beat this damn game and feel like it wasn't worth it whatsoever.

Incredible disappointment after Awakening. Yes the gameplay is better but plot is usually the reward for a job well done; here it feels like a fucking punishment.

Garbage.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I finally beat this damn game and feel like it wasn't worth it whatsoever.

Incredible disappointment after Awakening. Yes the gameplay is better but plot is usually the reward for a job well done; here it feels like a fucking punishment.

Garbage.
Awakening was boring as shit story though.

Started Conquest on Hard after beating Birthright on Hard a while ago. And, man, it is hard (I'm not using DLC). Took me 10 or more trials to beat chapter 10 - just when I was ready to switch to normal. The key for me was to buy some defense potions, made everything much easier.

I hope the rest will be smoother sailing, because +2 defense won't be nearly as effective later in the game.

Birthright Chapter 15 end

The only emotional impact that scene had on me is for wasting my time using Kaze at all. If you're gonna make a unit die for story reasons, don't half ass it. Ugh.

Boogiepop

Ugh, Chapter 19 (Conquest, hard) is driving me nuts. In theory I guess I kind of need units better able to tank their hits or something, but
the way they hit fairly hard, many of them can just walk through my units, general decent movement on them, and that damn ability to turn unhittable for a turn
makes these damn
fox bastards
a real massive pain. Keep losing someone late on and needing to reset. I can tell that I CAN make it through this mess and the specific problems caused by the chapter are more limited to it, but... yeah, this is getting frustrating.

Edit: Finally got through. Thank you Effie and your insane durability+strength. Came through for me even more than usual this time around.
Edit x2: Oof, Chapter 20 was kind of annoying too. (It's the one with
those wind gusts pushing you all over
). It wasn't as much that it was hard per-se, but it was frustrating to play around, and I had one close call due to late, unexpected reinforcements, and my units were cut off from each other by the narrow map. Actually needed to use a Freeze, which failed at like 76%, so I had to have my other healer run over, trade for it, and then thankfully actually get it to work.

Ugh, Chapter 19 (Conquest, hard) is driving me nuts. In theory I guess I kind of need units better able to tank their hits or something, but
the way they hit fairly hard, many of them can just walk through my units, general decent movement on them, and that damn ability to turn unhittable for a turn
makes these damn
fox bastards
a real massive pain. Keep losing someone late on and needing to reset. I can tell that I CAN make it through this mess and the specific problems caused by the chapter are more limited to it, but... yeah, this is getting frustrating.

Edit: Finally got through. Thank you Effie and your insane durability+strength. Came through for me even more than usual this time around.
Edit x2: Oof, Chapter 20 was kind of annoying too. (It's the one with
those wind gusts pushing you all over
). It wasn't as much that it was hard per-se, but it was frustrating to play around, and I had one close call due to late, unexpected reinforcements, and my units were cut off from each other by the narrow map. Actually needed to use a Freeze, which failed at like 76%, so I had to have my other healer run over, trade for it, and then thankfully actually get it to work.

Ha ha, I'm in the same boat as you! Doing Conquest on Hard and just got finished with those two chapters yesterday. I really only finished 19 due to luck (was able to dodge at least one attack from the last three enemies (one of them the boss). Chapter 20 was just frustrating and I didn't really enjoy it. I just played it really, really slow and finished it after about 35 turns, haha.

I really hope there aren't more chapter gimmicks as annoying as that, but I have my doubts.

Also, is it just me or is the "pair up" function kind of useless in comparison to just having supported characters be next to each other all the time? I always find that pair ups makes it harder to one-off kill enemies since you don't get the back-up attack. Plus you just have one less unit to use.

Fireblend

Banned
Picked this up again after my gf asked for my copy of Awakening and seeing her play (she got pretty into Heroes - Nintendo's strategy at work lol).

I have the special edition with all three paths, but had only played up to the last missions in Birthright. Hoping to wrap that up this weekend so I can get started with Conquest and hopefully finish that before the Switch arrives. We'll see when I get the time to tackle Revelations...

nickgia

Finally trying to get through Conquest after burning out from Birthright. Everyone is a glass cannon and it's driving me insane.

nickgia

Also, is it just me or is the "pair up" function kind of useless in comparison to just having supported characters be next to each other all the time? I always find that pair ups makes it harder to one-off kill enemies since you don't get the back-up attack. Plus you just have one less unit to use.

I'm finding it the exact opposite. It's the only way my team can survive as it negates the follow up from the 2nd enemy unit.

Fireblend

Banned
Done with Birthright. Those last 2 chapters were somewhat underwhelming, gotta say.

Onto Conquest! I've heard this one's pretty challenging, crossing my fingers the RNG gods bless during this run.

syncyes

FE: Heroes made me want to play Fates again so I started Conquest, finally.

I'm pretty stuck on Chapter 10 though, orz. Should've invested more EXP into my Silas, I think :(

I managed to assassinate Takumi with an Effie/Camila pair-up and avoid the activation of the Dragon Vein but then Silas died on turn 10, I lost my chokepoint hold, and three more characters succumbed during turn 11.

Don't know if I can pull that off again either, since killing Takumi was a blessing from the RNG in terms of hit chances :(

Anteo

Oh I remember chapter 10. I had to use tonics to make my characters have enough stats to survive. And you really have to have the guys defending the sides retreating way before the vein is used. Other than that it was mostly luck, I had to rely on many 70-80% hit chances and one miss made me reset the whole thing

I always love the defense missions, I wish there was more of them.

Regarding Ch. 10 in Conquest don't let your units on the sides get too far away. I kept the group on the left right near the upper left house and the ones on the right at the bridge. That way once the dragon vein is activated you can safely retreat all your units into the middle section, cause enemies are just going to start swarming in immediately.

From that point on for the last few turns it does get kind of messy, I admit. If you have any freeze staffs on you, definitely use them on some of the incoming enemies, particularly the falcon units. It took me several tries to survive those last couple of rounds but do your best to create a tight circle near the holding point to make your last stand. It definitely takes some luck (as everything does in FE to some degree).

Sölf

man conquest really is quite more difficult than birthright. enjoying it a lot. how is revelations?

It's a mix of both. Mission design is more interesting and imo harder than Birthright, but nowhere near Conquest. Also, at least on Hard (I played all 3 routes on hard/classic), enemies barely have any skills, but their stats totally explode at the end (and the beginning is also harder without grinding imo). You can grind though, so that makes it easier.

Story is also retarded. So do yourself a favor and just forget story exists.

Dark_castle

I always love the defense missions, I wish there was more of them.

Regarding Ch. 10 in Conquest don't let your units on the sides get too far away. I kept the group on the left right near the upper left house and the ones on the right at the bridge. That way once the dragon vein is activated you can safely retreat all your units into the middle section, cause enemies are just going to start swarming in immediately.

From that point on for the last few turns it does get kind of messy, I admit. If you have any freeze staffs on you, definitely use them on some of the incoming enemies, particularly the falcon units. It took me several tries to survive those last couple of rounds but do your best to create a tight circle near the holding point to make your last stand. It definitely takes some luck (as everything does in FE to some degree).

Yeah I fucking love defense mission objective. 2-E for life.

Finally started playing this after picking up the Special Edition at launch. At chapter 13 in Birthright on hard/classic with only one death thus far (Hinata RIP).

Seems like I'm getting close to being able to have a bunch of children. Is there a general consensus for good parent combos?

Or, simply, what should I avoid to make sure I don't have mediocre ones? Just match up similar classes and I'm good? For example, I'm thinking Hinoka/Silas and Corrin (M/physical)/Hana? Also what would a good candidate for Azura be given her class is fairly unique?

Shinypogs

Finally started playing this after picking up the Special Edition at launch. At chapter 13 in Birthright on hard/classic with only one death thus far (Hinata RIP).

Seems like I'm getting close to being able to have a bunch of children. Is there a general consensus for good parent combos?

Or, simply, what should I avoid to make sure I don't have mediocre ones? Just match up similar classes and I'm good? For example, I'm thinking Hinoka/Silas and Corrin (M/physical)/Hana? Also what would a good candidate for Azura be given her class is fairly unique?

It's not about classes but about the physical/ magic split. Any two physical units will make a good kid that wants strength, any two magic units* etc etc. Now you do want to take into account what skills can be passed on and modifiers to a certain extend. Certain parents made kids stronger but slower or give more skill but have a nagtive defense modifier.

*Note that Saizo actually passes down a better magic modifier than most of the males in birthright regardless of if they are magic based or not. he's a bit of a special case.

For the sake of easiness use this. http://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com/

Use the dropdown button in the top right to select your version and input your pairs. It will give you the resulting kids growth rates, the classes they can inherit ( and their growth rates in those classes) and takes into account special cases like azura ( she passes down falconknight as a default unless the kid already has it then she passes down troubador).

While birthright is pretty damn easy be warned that shiro's prologue is often a pain in the ass and only gets worse the later you do it.

Top Bottom