• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

NeonZ

This is maybe a really obvious question, but I was wondering: When you finish your first game (eg, Birthright) then download the next game (eg, Conquest) do you carry over your existing character or create a new one?

If you mean corrin's customization options and such, you can keep them or make a new one. If you mean stats, those are not shared between routes.

You can save 5 characters when finishing the game to recruit them as Einherjar in other files, or buy their skills for the characters in that new file, but the actual story characters start from zero. Bond units, Amiibo and captured units can be saved at any time though. The standard units are also recorded when you buy their Einherjar from the store, but those come at a lower level and might be missing skills.

Oli

If you mean corrin's customization options and such, you can keep them or make a new one. If you mean stats, those are not shared between routes.

Yes, to clarify, I mean the Corrin customization. For example, I have a male avatar on Birthright, can I make a female one on Conquest or would I lose something as a result?

NeonZ

Yes, to clarify, I mean the Corrin customization. For example, I have a male avatar on Birthright, can I make a female one on Conquest or would I lose something as a result?

If you change the avatar's gender and choose to start from the route split, then you'll lose the extra experience that you got with Felicia/Jakob in the first few chapters, since the initial servant changed based on the avatar's gender, but that's it. If you start from the beginning, you wouldn't lose anything.

ShadowOwl

So, I'm almost ready to start with FE Fates. European player here if that matters.

Which DLC other than the campaigns (got the Limited Edition) is worth buying gameplay-/storywise? As far as I can see there are two big map packs available. Should I just go with the second one including all the "Heirs of Fate" maps or should I take a look at the first map pack as well? I'm not really interested in "cheat" maps.

Renewed

So, I'm almost ready to start with FE Fates. European player here if that matters.

Which DLC other than the campaigns (got the Limited Edition) is worth buying gameplay-/storywise? As far as I can see there are two big map packs available. Should I just go with the second one including all the "Heirs of Fate" maps or should I take a look at the first map pack as well? I'm not really interested in "cheat" maps.

Hidden Truths from the first map pack has story content to be seen after Revelation. Heirs of Fate as well. Don't know about how good the other content is.

Royal Royale's a personal favourite of mine for the challenges different royals face. Got plenty of mileage simply trying to beat it with all eight royals, and got more mileage trying to beat my times.

pariah164

Okay, what the FUCK this Paralogue? (Birthright, Paralogue 7 Spoilers).

How do I save Shiro? This bitch gets merked no matter what I try to do. I CANNOT save him. I've played this Paralogue four or five times, with the same result. It's frustrating, and I'm getting pissed off.

Okay, what the FUCK this Paralogue? (Birthright, Paralogue 7 Spoilers).

How do I save Shiro? This bitch gets merked no matter what I try to do. I CANNOT save him. I've played this Paralogue four or five times, with the same result. It's frustrating, and I'm getting pissed off.

Just use a few Rescue staff charges lol

Finally beat all paths.

Boy do I have a lot to say, but who cares at this point. I'll just summarize the the paths.

Birthright: meh, lunatic was a cake walk
Revelations: it's okay, but easy and annoyingly slow.
Conquest: it's good, but lunatic is actually not that hard at all. I could barely tell the difference between Hard and Lunatic. Then again once you learn how to properly use the skills the entire game is a cake walk.

Bonus: The Children DLC was great. I wasn't gonna get it, but affer trying the first episode that was discounted, I really enjoyed the limited strength you had. They should have chapters like these in the next game. Can't level up, only a few weapons and limited healing. Would make for some serious challange.

ShadowOwl

Hidden Truths from the first map pack has story content to be seen after Revelation. Heirs of Fate as well. Don't know about how good the other content is.
Royal Royale's a personal favourite of mine for the challenges different royals face. Got plenty of mileage simply trying to beat it with all eight royals, and got more mileage trying to beat my times.
Bit late for a reply but thanks for the replies! Put Hidden Truths and Heirs of Fate on my list, might get Royal Royale's later. Haven't bought any DLC for Awakening yet so I might tackle that first.
Anyway there's another beast called Zero Time Dilemma which has to be taken care of first. Cannot resist any longer since the need for closure is driving me crazy.

Still salty that I wasn't able to get the Special Edition here in Belgium. Hope I can find some decently priced used copy.

After finishing Awakening, I just need another strategy fix

PK Gaming

I don't think I've said this enough; FeMU is great.

Edit: Huh. You can't spoiler-tag images anymore. Interesting.

She's the bees knees

Here's some comic I wanted to post on Halloween but totally forgot to

srLy16P.jpg

source

Femto.

How does skill inheritance work in this game?

Do kids obtain whatever skills the parents have at the time of reaching S rank or when you initiate their paralogue quest?

Renewed

How does skill inheritance work in this game?

Do kids obtain whatever skills the parents have at the time of reaching S rank or when you initiate their paralogue quest?

The last equipped skill before going into the paralogue is what transfers to the child. Meaning you can back out and rearrange your skills and they'll get that skill. I think if you learn a skill in the middle of the map, the child learns that skill instead of what you came in with.

ryseing

Had that Fire Emblem itch so I'm doing my first Conquest playthrough. I do like the flow more than Birthright but there are some annoying gimmicks. I'm on ch. 15 and I cannot stand when IS does this shit (
chapter when you follow Azura and it's just Corrin/Azura/Gunter
). It was annoying in Radiant Dawn and it's annoying now.

Debating on using DLC to grind my Corrin. Hmm...

ryseing

Silas, you are a POS Great Knight who needs to fucking be able to take out one fucking pegasus knight godfuckingdammit.

(If you can't tell, my Silas has turned out shit, and I need another cavalier/great knight/paladin besides the GOAT Xander. No, I am not going to train up Peri because she is terrible)

NeonZ

Silas, you are a POS Great Knight who needs to fucking be able to take out one fucking pegasus knight godfuckingdammit.

(If you can't tell, my Silas has turned out shit, and I need another cavalier/great knight/paladin besides the GOAT Xander. No, I am not going to train up Peri because she is terrible)

Then just make Xander marry some physical focused unit and recruit his son.

Should've made him a Paladin though.

McNum

Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation complete! All clear!

That... was a LOT of Fire Emblem. Activity log says 132 hours played and I don't think I let the game idle ever. Even with paying for the other two routes, I am certainly satisfied with getting value for money here.

As for what I think of each path... I think I slightly prefer Birthright, but it's really close.

Birthright had a simple story and benefited greatly for it. The maps were... serviceable, but nothing impressive. It knew its limits and stayed true. Conquest had better characters and the maps were very creative. Sometimes, too creative, but I did like that they demanded more than just "move to enemy, fight enemy" to win in several cases. One map hinged on using a Freeze Staff at just the right time. But Conquest's story was just... no. Good idea, bad execution. As for the no grinding part, I get the appeal and all... but I would prefer some way to make a favorite character catch up between chapters. DLC lets me do it, somewhat, but that shouldn't be a paid feature. I miss Bonus EXP from the Radiant games. Revelation was odd. You get way too many characters to get to know any of them, they come in at seemingly random levels compared to the rest of your team, and the story is almost too... golden. I did like the balance of gimmick maps to brute force maps. So that's nice. If only half the cast just wasn't outright useless due to coming in way too late.

Also, on the topic of Revelation, I must praise the RNG for the Sakura it gave me. Because... what. Is she inherently awesome, or was mine just stupidly lucky? The healer should not be able to take a hit better than most knights or deal 30 x2 damage to a reasonably evenly leveled chapter boss. She became nuts with a Shining Bow. Yes, she got saved to the logbook. Capped 25 Defense at level 20/5... that's just unlikely.

Anyway, since I bumped this aging OT for this, I think I want to start over as a female avatar next. Can I transfer skills from my male avatar or is this a clean slate? Also, if I want Locktouch on my avatar, should I go for Ninja or Outlaw as my second class? Or marry into it? I'm leaning Ninja, since Master Ninja uses swords so the Yato can still be used.

So is leveling up also RNG in Fire Emblem? Like what stats, and how many stats increase on level up?

I hate that I have to play this on my goddamned handheld, too bad Nintendo hates all living things and won't give me an option to play on a TV screen like Sony did for Vita games with the PSTV.

Shinypogs

If you play on lunatic your level ups have been pre-determined once a unit joins you so if you level up certain stats, fail a map and try again you will get the same level up. Class changing will cause the game to reroll but still be predetermined from that point on.

On normal and hard mode you can get different results and some people will even reset a chapter if they get bad level ups. The wiki is good for checking up on peoples growths so you can see what stats they are most likely to level. That said on normal and hard pretty much everyone is viable.

Renewed

Anyway, since I bumped this aging OT for this, I think I want to start over as a female avatar next. Can I transfer skills from my male avatar or is this a clean slate? Also, if I want Locktouch on my avatar, should I go for Ninja or Outlaw as my second class? Or marry into it? I'm leaning Ninja, since Master Ninja uses swords so the Yato can still be used.

You can transfer skills just fine using Logbook. Outlaw class line is a waste since you're bow locked, skills like Rally Skill, Pass, Lucky Seven, Shurikenbreaker not worth your time. Ninja should be fine.

So is leveling up also RNG in Fire Emblem? Like what stats, and how many stats increase on level up?

I hate that I have to play this on my goddamned handheld, too bad Nintendo hates all living things and won't give me an option to play on a TV screen like Sony did for Vita games with the PSTV.
well when Fire Emblem comes to the Switch you can play it on the TV again

You can still use the Yato as a Bow Knight.

Not that you'd really want to use the Yato much at all, especially when you can spam daggers all day as a Master Ninja/Mechanist.

You can transfer skills just fine using Logbook. Outlaw class line is a waste since you're bow locked, skills like Rally Skill, Pass, Lucky Seven, Shurikenbreaker not worth your time. Ninja should be fine.

Hey to be fair you left out Outlaw's best skill, Movement +1 :p

McNum

Eh, my avatar in the logbook has all kinds of skills at this point. Importing Draconic Hex and Swordfaire to my avatar is amusing, but hilariously powerful early in the game. Because the Yato really needed to do 5 more damage from chapter 7 and onwards.

The entire point of this playthrough is to make Locktouch available to the avatar so I don't have to worry about chests and doors ever again. Because I'll always have a Locktouch unit.

You can still use the Yato as a Bow Knight.

Not that you'd really want to use the Yato much at all, especially when you can spam daggers all day as a Master Ninja/Mechanist.

Hey to be fair you left out Outlaw's best skill, Movement +1 :p
Movement +1 is nice, too. I went with Outlaw, It's a Birthright run, so I have plenty of Ninjas. Plus I'm stunting a bit with the characters, trying to make slightly silly, but workable class changes. Great Knight Mozu will be a thing!

I do wonder... with the skills from Hero, Swordmaster, Paladin and soon Outlaw!Bow Knight, what should I go for next? It's not like I'm hurting for skill options at this point. Next will be Conquest with the same avatar, so that affords less crazy options. That or grab the free Witch's Mark and play with a Witch avatar. If Warp is importable that'd be hilarious.

I dunno, Normal is basically walk through the enemy units and slaughter them, but then I switched it to Hard and everything can oneshot me.

Actually there are plenty of cheap oneshots in Normal come to think of it. Hard just doesn't seem very fun.

I feel like they should have a difficulty level between Normal and Hard but whatever. I'll just play on Normal. I'm actually planning on going through Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations in order to see the whole story so it's not like I have the spare time to grind my way through Hard in all 3 routes anymore anyways.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah. I'm slowly working through Hard/Classic Conquest. I'm on Chapter 9, but I never feel very satisfied when I win. It's usually a mix of favourable RNG (pertaining to enemy movements more than actual hit percentages, I guess) and super conservative tactics that win me maps and earn the bonus objectives.

I might just suck or something.

patapuf

I dunno, Normal is basically walk through the enemy units and slaughter them, but then I switched it to Hard and everything can oneshot me.

Actually there are plenty of cheap oneshots in Normal come to think of it. Hard just doesn't seem very fun.

I feel like they should have a difficulty level between Normal and Hard but whatever. I'll just play on Normal. I'm actually planning on going through Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations in order to see the whole story so it's not like I have the spare time to grind my way through Hard in all 3 routes anymore anyways.

Alternatively you could pick hard but select casual so you don't have to restart if you loose a unit. That seems to be a fairly popular compromise for many.

If everything can one shot you, you're simply doing it wrong, unless it's Revelation I guess.

Going off my limited Birthright knowledge, some tips for staying alive:
  • Don't pass on Rinkah just because she can't whack things as hard as your typical axe user. Her defense stat rivals that of generals without having the movement penalty nor armorslayer weakness.
  • Quiet Strength (Sakura's personal skill) and Demoiselle / Gentilhomme, (Maid / Butler skills) stack and have a 2-tile radius to give you some leeway in positioning. Just know that they don't work if the user is being sheltered as the support unit in a Pair Up.
  • Devoted / Evasive Partner (Felicia / Jakob's personal skill), and Supportive (Corrin's personal skill) -do- work if the user is sheltered and stack with the aforementioned skills.
  • Use tonics!

Usobuko

Banned
Fire Emblem Conquest is the way to go right?

I can just buy one version and pay $20 for the second & third story each later on digitally.

NeonZ

I can just buy one version and pay $20 for the second & third story each later on digitally.

Generally Conquest is the best choice gameplay-wise, but in addition to storytelling issues shared with the other campaigns, the main premise that involves working for villains during most of the game, while trying to make the protagonists still seem good, seems to bother a lot of people.

Gameplay-wise, the map designs are heavily based on enemy skills and map features - more than any previous FE game. Most people who are looking for a challenge seem to enjoy that, but I've seen some players who disliked that compared to more straight forward challenge in previous games, where you mostly worry about enemy stats and placement only with only a few maps having unique features.

Dee Dee

Just keep in mind, that while the gameplay is very fun, and the characters are generally great, the story in this is the worst out of all three (although it's a close race to the bottom with Revelations for sure).
The map design and objectives are MUCH more varied then in the other two cases though.

Sölf

Well... since several new FE games have been announced I decided to finally finish Fates.

*No one besides Corrin deals any fucking damage*
*Reaches chapter 9, sees that it's the fucking wind chapter*
*Dies inside and then takes over an hour to clear that fucker*

Yeah, I hate Revelations already.

Draxal

Sölf;228664377 said:
Well... since several new FE games have been announced I decided to finally finish Fates.

*No one besides Corrin deals any fucking damage*
*Reaches chapter 9, sees that it's the fucking wind chapter*
*Dies inside and then takes over an hour to clear that fucker*

Yeah, I hate Revelations already.

Chapter 10 is worse.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If the DLC paths are ever going to go on sale, it's gotta be today right?! I've been wanting to buy them but have been waiting for a full year because surely they will discount them at some point.

I figure after the direct they may finally do it today in the eshop update. I think EU had a sale earlier this year, so maybe its NA turn?

Danielsan

Finally putting some proper time into Birthright gain what with all the Fire Emblem news going around, and me not having finished any of the Fates paths, despite having the Special Edition. I'm at chapter 17 right now, but man, what the fuck at the game just randomly throwing
Kaze
under the bus. There was like zero indication that I was supposed to focus on upping my support with that dude. I actually hardly ever used him, because Saizo and Kagero are my ninja team, but still, kind of pissed me off.

Sölf

Beat chapter 10, 11 and one of the DLC maps (the defense map from Radiant Dawn). Chapter 10 wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be after hearing you guys. Chapter 11 was bleh, especially with the early Master Ninjas. I had to restart the chapter because Orochi got killed of on turn 1 if I didn't kill a specific enemy.

Anyway, my team now actually deals damage. And with Oboro I got a good tank.

Top Bottom