• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstevens

Just watched the preview on GameXplain. I'm all in on this one. I've been playing FFBE a lot and will continue to, but I think this looks amazing as well. I've only played Fire Emblem Awakening so I'm glad this will get me more familiar with some of the other characters for when I go play the older games.

duckroll

This is going to be super weird not waiting 6 months to get the Japanese version content, also the first Gacha game where Global can't prepare in advance for upcoming events.

Not even close? Terra Battle, the best smartphone RPG from the father of Final Fantasy, is on a global server and had multiple languages from day one.

SephLuis

Not even close? Terra Battle, the best smartphone RPG from the father of Final Fantasy, is on a global server and had multiple languages from day one.

I just hope that getting characters isn't as difficult as in Terra Battle (at lesat in TB is taking me a long while to get 50 energy).

Kouriozan

Grandblue has a global server.

Well it's not technically released outside of Japan since I can't download it on the appstore :p
But yeah I meant to ask a question.

Terra Battle is great, I agree. Kinda sad we'll never get a real The Last Story 2.

duckroll

I just hope that getting characters isn't as difficult as in Terra Battle (at lesat in TB is taking me a long while to get 50 energy).

In the first 10 days you get 20 energy. Every 8 days you get 5 energy. Doing the weekly bonus and clearing Challenge 2 will give you another 1 energy per week. Sweet Temptation pops up as a Daily Quest twice a month and you get 1 energy for clearing it. You get 1 energy each story chapter you clear. If you play VS Mode you can get energy for league promotions too. There are also constant long time energy bonuses for logins. There are energy rewards for clearing Achievements too.

Terra Battle is one of the most generous gacha games when it comes to premium currency.

Coppanuva

Looking forward to this one! Hoping the characters are plentiful. Coming from FFBE (which I will still play), cool to see a lot of the crowd from there here as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Given that it's going to be available everywhere on the 2nd, does that mean Japan will get it first, or will we have to wait until it's available in the West? I wonder.

In the first 10 days you get 20 energy. Every 8 days you get 5 energy. Doing the weekly bonus and clearing Challenge 2 will give you another 1 energy per week. Sweet Temptation pops up as a Daily Quest twice a month and you get 1 energy for clearing it. You get 1 energy each story chapter you clear. If you play VS Mode you can get energy for league promotions too. There are also constant long time energy bonuses for logins. There are energy rewards for clearing Achievements too.

Terra Battle is one of the most generous gacha games when it comes to premium currency.
Oh God why'd somebody have to rile duck up about Terra Battle.

SephLuis

That was bait so you could give this handy little tips =P

I just got back to play recently with a new phone so I was kinda lost with it.

Either way, did they shown or explained anything about how to get the characters and how to obtain the necessary currency for them ?

I just hope they are really generous in this beginning for FE. I hope Lyn won the popular vote.

RedFox85

But.. I've only just now gotten so deep into FF Brave Exvius, I've only just now learned what the hell a gatcha is.. and now this? How could you do this to me? Can I even play two of these games?

new to JP Ganga games - what's a reroll? How do you reroll your draws?

Thanks ahead!
Basically a minor abuse of the intro system to get a more favorable set of characters. You get free character draws at the beginning of gacha games, so rerolling is just trying to redo the free intro pulls into a more favorable outcome. How you can do that depends on the game. In some cases you might need to create a new account. In other cases, it might be as simple as a quick uninstall and reinstall of the app. Also the definition of favorable depends I suppose. Most people reroll to get better characters, some might reroll just to get characters they like.

E.g., with FE Heroes even if she's not top tier, I might keep rerolling for Lyn until I get her.

eyesradar

Basically a minor abuse of the intro system to get a more favorable set of characters. You get free character draws at the beginning of gacha games, so rerolling is just trying to redo the free intro pulls into a more favorable outcome. How you can do that depends on the game. In some cases you might need to create a new account. In other cases, it might be as simple as a quick uninstall and reinstall of the app. Also the definition of favorable depends I suppose. Most people reroll to get better characters, some might reroll just to get characters they like.

E.g., with FE Heroes even if she's not top tier, I might keep rerolling for Lyn until I get her.

Thanks for the prompt answer!
Now I can't wait!

Kyuur

Do we know if there is any form of social/friend interaction in the game yet (eg friend leaders in PAD)?

Thanks for the prompt answer!
Now I can't wait!
Be warned though, most games if can take a while to keep rerolling if you're after a certain specific character. Better/more favorable characters have a low percentage of getting. So if the tutorial happens to be long, most likely you're gonna have to redo it every single time you reroll.

Shun

This game is really going to live and die on how frequent and how good the monthly events are, as well as the number and quality of limited gacha characters in the pool.

They really need to give me a reason to continue to play month after month versus other more popular and active games like Granblue Fantasy or Shadowverse or iDOLM@STER or FGO that many other people are already playing and have to go make time for Fire Emblem Heroes.

It doesn't need to be as successful as those games, because that's a really difficult thing to achieve, but it should at least give their new, growing userbase to stick with the game longterm.

Part of that means having to frequently give us 3 events to do a month with at most 1 or 2 days of down time between them and absolutely no event reruns until it's necessary. If they're going to rerun the same event that happened not even 3 months ago, it just cuts into the current active userbase and gives them a reason to temporarily drop the game until something interesting happens.

That also means frequent updates to the gacha, both to the overall pool and limited/seasonal pool of characters. Fire Emblem seriously has no shortage of characters to add and use... There's no excuse on that front. Weapons as well, there isn't a shortage of different kinds of weapons that they could be using so weapon variety alongside character variety is important.

The game needs to find long legs and develop an interested and active userbase rather than going all in on initial numbers. People aren't going to stay if word is out that people are going to move on to play something else because there isn't enough activity.

There is absolutely nothing worse than dry periods of nothing to do in game. Eventwise and gachawise.

I just hope that they can provide that variety within the first 6 months instead of just coasting on whatever poll results comes out. The sooner they can get to adding Jugdral events and characters the better.

Squire

Banned
How big is FateGO, really? I feel like the fact that it's popular at all indicates FE is going to be fine. I mean, how big a property is Fate itself?

Shun

How big is FateGO, really? I feel like the fact that it's popular at all indicates FE is going to be fine. I mean, how big a property is Fate itself?

FGO took like 8 months or so to blow up to the popularity it has now.

And a lot of that is thanks to the event variety, limited gacha diversity, new gacha illustrations, and crossover fan service.

It's by no means a particularly good or deep smartphone RPG compared to say Granblue, but the amount of advertising it got both paid and free twitter advertisement helped it bounce back a lot and become one of the stronger performing games on smartphones over the past few months.

Like for a couple months after the whole Scathach incident, they really gave me no real reason to play the game until they introduced their new event series like Saber Wars or Garden of Sinners collab.

"Whales" and big spenders make a ton of money for the smartphone game, and while that is nice, if you don't provide content that keeps everyone from free to play to spenders interested, spenders/"whales" are going to move onto a different game and it will die because of a dying userbase.

Fire Emblem has the benefit of a lot of production value behind it so far with the voice acting and the illustrations, but it's a big investment that they're going to need to keep building on for the game itself to be successful. And that means keeping these voice actors on contract for story events and continually writing new scenarios and maps to give players a reason to keep playing.

duckroll

It's really not so much about how big a property is, but rather how much the fans within that property are willing to spend. For example Fate might not sell as much as Fire Emblem, which means the reach of the franchise is more narrow, but that doesn't mean that Fire Emblem fans are more likely to want to spend a lot on a mobile game. Meanwhile, Fate fans have already been well trained to overspend on overpriced products, since we know the anime sells well in Japan despite being released on box sets which cost hundreds of dollars.

There's pretty much no way we're not going to see a dozen different versions of popular characters. At minimum there will be multiple versions of different colors. But expect alternate outfits, the characters in different classes, and simply just because.

Moonlight

Banned
FateGO is huge, Fate itself I'd put in the same ball-park of FE. Though as others have said, it's not really the biggest factor in judging how well something will do besides maybe the initial impact.

also obligatory FGO is awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom