• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewall help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going back to college in 2 days, and once I get there I'm going to need major help with my firewall. I want to be able to play games (PS2 and XBox) online. Up there we have a LAN that does run faster than a 56k, although it's no road runner. But for some reason some people can do things much faster than I can, download music, transfer photos, things like that. So something is messed up with my firewall, and I'm going to the experts to find out how to get it done. So if anyone knows something about how I can fix it up right, let me know. Although if you need to ask questions about the firewall it self, you are going to need to wait for a few days until I get the computer hooked up, and then you'll have to make sure to direct me into the spot to answer teh question, as I know little to nothing about firewalls.

Thanks all.

Alright I'm in college, and my computer is up and running. If anyone knows anything about how to disable firewalls, PM me or throw a post up. Thanks guys.

andthebeatgoeson

Well, 1st question is do they allow you to bypass certain ports or do they block certain ports? I never had a college lan but I was under the impression that they can either block certain ports and to improve a program's functioning, you can have it use common ports, like IEs or something. I'm sure somebody else has a better explanation but I think you want to figure out if they let you bypass some ports (probably not) or if they are blocking certain ports.

Argh, dude, just reading this thread is giving me flashback headaches to when my dorm-living friend Nate was endlessly trying to get stuff to work in his dorm besides Counter-Strike, and he didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Every college is going to manage their network a little different, but my advice is to make friends with the IT department. Chances are that there are students doing work-study there, and odds are reall good that they are gamers, and want the same things you want. Get them on your side and push them to open access. This was the only thing that ever worked for us, luckily XBOX Live's ports are standard across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom