• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help with buffering please.

GeekyDad

I've got a few audio plugins that just kill my old CPU (still using my PC from, like, 12 or more years ago). I can usually get through the process of producing a song in my workstation no problem so long as I'm reasonable with things. But there are two or three plugins in particular that, even if everything else is bypassed, it just kills the CPU, preventing you from playing the audio back.

The DAW I'm working in is called Tracktion Waveform. It allows for you to adjust the buffering. At default, it's set for 480ms. I tried doubling that, but no help whatsoever.

Is it possible there's something I can do on my PC to adjust the buffering/latency that might help?

Thanks

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Stop using those problematic audio plugins or upgrade your PC. Modern audio plugins are heavier on the CPU than they were a decade ago, it's only to be expected that you're now seeing performance problems when running modern software on a 12 years old PC.

Winter John

Gold Member
Did you upgrade to Windows 11? I heard that fucked a lot of people's daws. Are all your drivers and plugins up to date? You can try messing around with the sample rate. Lower it as far as you can and see if that helps. My old laptop started freezing when I was using Maschine on it. It worked fine for years but these daws really grind on pcs and eventually there wasn't nothing left to do but get a new one

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Stop using those problematic audio plugins or upgrade your PC.

First reply nails it.

I made my old mac last for a decade before upgrading it, but had a spec worked out for the plugins I could use and which ones I could have multiple instances of, etc.

I'm not familiar with that DAW, GeekyDad GeekyDad , But if it has a freeze tracks option, which I used on Logic a little on occasion, you can experiment with that - essentially it does a bounce of individual tracks then all the plugins are rendered in place and you can then work on other things without them using your CPU.

You probably just ought to get a new computer though, sorry.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Did you upgrade to Windows 11? I heard that fucked a lot of people's daws. Are all your drivers and plugins up to date? You can try messing around with the sample rate. Lower it as far as you can and see if that helps. My old laptop started freezing when I was using Maschine on it. It worked fine for years but these daws really grind on pcs and eventually there wasn't nothing left to do but get a new one

Windows 11 is not compatible with 12 year old CPUs.

GeekyDad

First reply nails it.

I made my old mac last for a decade before upgrading it, but had a spec worked out for the plugins I could use and which ones I could have multiple instances of, etc.

I'm not familiar with that DAW, GeekyDad GeekyDad , But if it has a freeze tracks option, which I used on Logic a little on occasion, you can experiment with that - essentially it does a bounce of individual tracks then all the plugins are rendered in place and you can then work on other things without them using your CPU.

You probably just ought to get a new computer though, sorry.

Will give that a try, thank you.

Yeah, I can probably afford a new PC, but truly, considering my health, I don't wanna spend any money I don't have to. Wanna leave what I can behind for my wife and kids, and this is really just stuff that keeps me occupied for the time being.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sorry to hear about that GeekyDad GeekyDad , I don't think I knew about your health problems.

I don't know what kind of recording you're doing, but if you're in the UK, I've got a Focusrite audio interface (2i4) that I don't use. I'd be happy to post it to you for free if it would be helpful.

GeekyDad

Sorry to hear about that GeekyDad GeekyDad , I don't think I knew about your health problems.

I don't know what kind of recording you're doing, but if you're in the UK, I've got a Focusrite audio interface (2i4) that I don't use. I'd be happy to post it to you for free if it would be helpful.
That's very generous of you, but no. Though it is greatly appreciated for you to offer, I wanna tackle the old-fashioned way. There has to be a way around this.

Gonna open up Waveform now, and see if I can try what you recommended. I also just watched a video suggesting multi-mono. Might see if I can't figure that out as well.

Thank you again.

Top Bottom