• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Baldur's Gate 3 PS5 Impressions - "No Stable 60FPS - Performance vs Quality Mode"

Fabieter

I didn't say it wasn't a better RPG to others, I said it was not as unique. Again, this is a fantastic game that provides an incredible depth to character customisation and choose-your-own adventure style play; however, it is in essence a combination of many gameplay mechanics that utilise the "yes, and" style of open thinking.

There have been past RPGs done just as well, many of them TRPGs because they have the benefit of the source material being open-ended designed. What Baldur's Gate 3 does exceptionally well is update that playstyle and gameplay loop to be more modern and more user interpretative.

Well iam not super deep into crpgs. Can you give me some examples for games like bg3 with player choices and character customization.

Well yea I guess I know what you mean but I think you can say that its usually don't happen on this scale and on this production values.

Eotheod

Well iam not super deep into crpgs. Can you give me some examples for games like bg3 with player choices and character customization.

Well yea I guess I know what you mean but I think you can say that its usually don't happen on this scale and on this production values.
Oh definitely, and Larian have an incredible game on their hands with this title. Other suggestions I can give you are the Divinity series, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (though most suggest 2 as 1 is more dated), Pillars of Eternity and Disco Elysium to name a few.

Regginator

I’m kind of tired of hearing about „unoptimized console ports” in cases where Quality modes in 30fps run absolutely fine. That is insane. Everyone knows exactly what to expect from a 2 yo underpriced gaming hardware for gods sake.
That would be on Larian for not delivering on or downright mismanaging expectations. One of the reasons the PS5 version didn't launch simultaneously with the PC version is because according to them they wanted to use that time for extra polish in which they'd target 60fps. Sure, that doesn't always mean 60fps locked but based on the footage in the OP, the performance in performance mode (no pun intended) is pretty bad. 🤷‍♂️

ryan90k

Neo Member
Strange, I can get better framerates on an old RX 580, The CPU is an old i7 4790 as well, I see no reason the consoles can't outdo it.

Outlier

TL;DR

- Load times: Fast travel took 43~ seconds.
Ummm....

wut?
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Thank goodness I have the PC version.

Last edited:

yamaci17

This game is turn based so 30fps is fine.
problems arise when the first two acts run at a rock solid 60. (same goes for pc). everyone gets magically 100+ super smooth super responsive 100+ fps in first two acts.

then 3rd act comes and pushes most rigs 25-35 fps. that will be jarring. 30 fps is fine, that's not a problem, but not when you played the damn game for 50 hours at 60 fps initially. turn based or not, 60 fps improves the feel of every type of video game imaginable. even scrolling and panning the screen will still be juddery on 30 fps and super smooth on 60+ FPS

Last edited:

NEbeast

No, don't really follow this channel but this is one of the first impressions for the PS5 version of the game anywhere.
You definitely saw them, but didn't post them because you bleed green. I'm not even sure why you're trying to hide it? I hope you have the same energy with the series consoles when BG3 releases on them. You fucking won't though, you will somehow miss those videos too.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The game absolutely deserves that score.. devs being forced to optimize for a decade old CPUs is no reason to complain about the game not being good.
Yah. Also 97 MC is for PC version, not this console version with 40+ secs load time

Elios83

I'm 6 hours in Act1 and the game runs perfectly fine in quality mode.
Only bug I've encountered so far is the HDR one.
I've tried the 60fps mode but it looks clearly more blurry and since it's a slow turn based game the benefit is not there for me.

Seems a solid port to me, the only disappointment is that they're clearly not taking advantage of the SSD. Loading times belong to the PS4 gen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You definitely saw them, but didn't post them because you bleed green. I'm not even sure why you're trying to hide it? I hope you have the same energy with the series consoles when BG3 releases on them. You fucking won't though, you will somehow miss those videos too.

The previous video on the channel is him shitting on FFXVI and saying how the VRR on Xbox is better, where's my topic for that ?

Take a few deep breaths and remember that these are just plastic boxes, it's not worth increasing blood pressure over :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think this may be a case of a little bit of over blown reactions with this title. At least on the technical front.

The game luckily more than makes up for anything being one of the best RPG's ever of it's kind.

Folks that get this on PS5, and subsequently later, on XB, should be very excited. Maybe not Series S folks but hey, you can't win them all!

Last edited:
It sucks that 60 fps mode is such a step dowm from quality mode. I was really looking forward to finally enjoyong a crpg on console at 60 fps with good image quality ..the load times issue is a major bummer

I mean, chances are there will be a third patch rushed out just in time for regular launch. I mean, Larian did put out a stellar game and the first two patches have been...well, ridiculous in scale.

They do listen so I'm sure they'll fix it. Just a shame it always comes down to this.

RickMasters

This game is turn based so 30fps is fine.
I agree. Why the hell this game would need a performance mode is beyond me. They should have just locked it in at 30 with an uncapped option for when. I’d gen and next gen consoles eventually arrive. 60 FPS on a Turn based RPG is a waste of system resources. I willl be buying it when it comes to series X and I’ll be playing in the quality mode. This game don’t need 60FPS.

RickMasters

It sucks that 60 fps mode is such a step dowm from quality mode. I was really looking forward to finally enjoyong a crpg on console at 60 fps with good image quality ..the load times issue is a major bummer
But why? . There are no real input benefits for this type of game… no requisite for precision inputs. It’s not a fighting game or an action game. I say enjoy the game at 30 in quality. At the end of the day yoh and the computer have to take turns hitting each other anyway. No precise parrying required so no need for 60FPS. But clearly this game needs a patch or two in terms of over all finish and polish.

I’m kind of tired of hearing about „unoptimized console ports” in cases where Quality modes in 30fps run absolutely fine. That is insane. Everyone knows exactly what to expect from a 2 yo underpriced gaming hardware for gods sake.

Nah man. You picked a bad example to make that argument considering we know BG3 isn't even utiluzing the i/o of ps5! It's a great example against your point though. Look at those load times. Common disappointing thread this gen is the lack of new and updated engines.

Consoles used to be treated like consoles, now they're treated as PC's. We used to enjoy them punching well above their weight. They're less specialized these days but primarily its because Sony and MS went multiplatform. This has had a carry over affect to 3rd party devs.

So you are both right and wrong. Consoles are being treated like second class citizens these days.

But why? . There are no real input benefits for this type of game… no requisite for precision inputs. It’s not a fighting game or an action game. I say enjoy the game at 30 in quality. At the end of the day yoh and the computer have to take turns hitting each other anyway. No precise parrying required so no need for 60FPS. But clearly this game needs a patch or two in terms of over all finish and polish.

R u serious? Because, esp on an Oled 60 still looks more stable and feels better ..even on a crpg. With 30 there's judder. Its not as bad as an fps or 3rd person action game but its there.

For a game like this 30 fps is fine imo.

Would love a lower resolution mode with a 30locked. Don’t need the quality mode frills, would rather just have a smooth experience.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think this may be a case of a little bit of over blown reactions with this title. At least on the technical front.

The game luckily more than makes up for anything being one of the best RPG's ever of it's kind.

Folks that get this on PS5, and subsequently later, on XB, should be very excited. Maybe not Series S folks but hey, you can't win them all!
If it runs on the series S at 30FPS they will be chuffed too. but I agree with the rest.

kuncol02

Banned
The previous video on the channel is him shitting on FFXVI and saying how the VRR on Xbox is better
XBox VRR is objectively better. It has lower limits of frame-rates that it can work with.

I am about 15 hours in the 60 mode hasn't dropped perf much , not enough for it to be an issue, relax your sphincter
Main performance issues are probably in 3rd act and in splitscreen (and especially in 3rd act played in splitscreen).

Luipadre

This guy is blind. Its not the first time he says 2 modes looks identical in a game, while you can clearly see the crisper image quality in quality mode. Maybe he is decent at giving HDR tips, but definitely dont listen to him when it comes to gfx or fps analysis

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yah. Also 97 MC is for PC version, not this console version with 40+ secs load time

If the PC version had 40+ second load time, what should the rating be adjusted to?

Personally, I'd lean towards not adjusting it at all, unless you need to load more than once every 15 minutes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nope, its right that it gets called out. HDR, audio and frame rate issues aren't a great look from a technical perspective. I'm glad that its being flagged and discussed.
All I'm going by is what a friend said. The HDR thing is true.

Or course it's worth a discussion but from what I was told, it's alright.

I won't be buying the game on PS5 as I have it on PC.

Which I think is absolutely the incorrect way to play a game like this.

It's not. You save scum when playing stealth games and get detected. Same shit. Except in BG3, even tho they supposedly have this dice mechanic that prootects the dice roll from being absolute shit, it doesnt work. I've rolled critical 1's 3 times in a row for simple things. I will never agree with dice rolls impacting locking or disarming traps especially when they dont even reward you for unlike literally every single crpg. Dialogue choices on dice rolls? Highly debatable. Combat? I agree, it's fine. But lets not forget, there are a ton of bugs and bugged quests, and a ton of absolute bullshittery in combat, that it's impossible not to reload. That was my experience on tactician.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's not. You save scum when playing stealth games and get detected. Same shit. Except in BG3, even tho they supposedly have this dice mechanic that prootects the dice roll from being absolute shit, it doesnt work. I've rolled critical 1's 3 times in a row for simple things. I will never agree with dice rolls impacting locking or disarming traps especially when they dont even reward you for unlike literally every single crpg. Dialogue choices on dice rolls? Highly debatable. Combat? I agree, it's fine. But lets not forget, there are a ton of bugs and bugged quests, and a ton of absolute bullshittery in combat, that it's impossible not to reload. That was my experience on tactician.
But dice rolls and chances are the crux of the game -- its very foundation. And how things can go not according to your plan, and then you have to improvise. The new Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves captured this feeling of DnD perfectly.

If you force your desired outcome by save-scumming, that defeats the entire purpose of the game in my opinion.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But dice rolls and chances are the crux of the game -- its very foundation. And how things can go not according to your plan, and then you have to improvise. The new Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves captured this feeling of DnD perfectly.

If you force your desired outcome by save-scumming, that defeats the entire purpose of the game in my opinion.

A lot of people will disagree with this :p

By that logic, if the dice rolls fails you in combat and your entire party gets fucked, do you stop playing the game entirely and delete the game? Dont be ridiculous. Every single human has reloaded and save scummed in any chance based games, like pathfinder, xcom, etc. Hell even the devs themselves reloaded in official streams. You can certainly go with the dice roll in major story choices, but everything else? If you have no way of getting a major quest item because you failed the dice? Do you just stop half way in the game and play something else? Fucking lol

Last edited:

FireFly

The combat encounters are designed to be challenging when all party members have full health. So if you lose a bunch of health to a trap, your choices for playing the game as intended are: waste your scarce potions or spell slots, waste a short rest – or reload the game. Equally, dialogue failures generally lead directly to combat with no chance of recovery.

The "no such thing as a failure" mentality works in a game like Disco Elysium, because they design almost every skill check to be recoverable. That's not the case in BG3 and most of the time failed rolls lead to an objectively "worse" outcome. (Obviously there are some exceptions like the skill checks with your party members, and some story events).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
By that logic, if the dice rolls fails you in combat and your entire party gets fucked, do you stop playing the game entirely and delete the game? Dont be ridiculous. Every single human has reloaded and save scummed in any chance based games, like pathfinder, xcom, etc. Hell even the devs themselves reloaded in official streams. You can certainly go with the dice roll in major story choices, but everything else? If you have no way of getting a major quest item because you failed the dice? Do you just stop half way in the game and play something else? Fucking lol
That's not save scumming though. That's reloading the game in rare circumstances if you end up in a situation where you can't progress any further.

Two very different scenarios.

That's not save scumming though. That's reloading the game in rare circumstances if you end up in a situation where you can't progress any further.

Two very different scenarios.

I see, so its not save scumming when it doesnt fit your narrative/opinion. Got it, you save scum as well and everyone can save scum if they want, it's actually encouraged. We can end the discussion here.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
R u serious? Because, esp on an Oled 60 still looks more stable and feels better ..even on a crpg. With 30 there's judder. Its not as bad as an fps or 3rd person action game but its there.
Eh? I'm just done playing a few hours in the opening section on my OLED in Quality mode and I haven't noticed any judder whatsoever, can't see why anyone would want 60fps on this tbh, it's a slow methodical turn based game, maybe for a smoother camera rotate I guess but it ain't no "throw the toys outa the pram" moment some posters are whinging about, the game is perfectly playable as is and hopefully by the time I get anywhere near deep into the game or close to Act3 Larian I'm pretty sure will have patched out all the issues

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I see, so its not save scumming when it doesnt fit your narrative/opinion. Got it, you save scum as well and everyone can save scum if they want, it's actually encouraged. We can end the discussion here.
Make up your own definitions and then argue with others when they don't agree. 🤦‍♂️

7JHOs3J.jpg

Top Bottom