• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Timothée Chalamet in DUNE

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Looking good.

Got high hopes that they can pull this off.

The Shift

Banned
And your point is what exactly? I' don't like this actor, therefore, it's going to suck? Grow some patience.

Oh do fuck off - I'll critique this movie, the director and cast as I see fit. Fuck, even on Resetera of all places users are permitted to pass negative criticism on this movie without being thread policed.

Tesseract

Banned
Oh do fuck off - I'll critique this movie, the director and cast as I see fit. Fuck, even on Resetera of all places users are permitted to pass negative criticism on this movie without being thread policed.

grow some patience ain't policing, it's the gentlest of nudges that you might be jumping the gun

Last edited:

The Shift

Banned
grow some patience ain't policing, it's the gentlest of nudges that you might be jumping the gun

That's not really the point though - let users have am opinion and if you disagree then truck the fuck along. My opinion wasn't challenged - it was having one that was.

Tesseract

Banned
That's not really the point though - let users have am opinion and if you disagree then truck the fuck along. My opinion wasn't challenged - it was having one that was.

you want some fruity pebbles, mate?

giphy.gif

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Dune is another one for me where I already have images in my head of how it all looks. So they would have to pull off miracle casting & stuff to perfectly match my demands.

It's probably best to let them do their thing & go see the film with an open mind. I'm just happy we're getting the big screen, but budget Dune I always hoped for. From a very good director as well.

Kadayi

Banned

You're not bringing criticism, you're bringing whine before the parties even started. Villeneuve hasn't made a bad movie yet. Some of his casting choices raised a few eyebrows with me early on but he's got a solid record so far, so I dare say he knows what he's doing. You need to let it slide that it's probably not going to be the film you have in your head.

Kadayi

Banned
Or... Stay the course & do the whole Dune saga. I want to see God Emperor.

Honestly, much as I'm looking forward to seeing what Villeneuve can do here I think I'd rather see an HBO level Series given the scale and scope of the source material. After Dune Messiah, the books just get bigger and fatter.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, much as I'm looking forward to seeing what Villeneuve can do here I think I'd rather see an HBO level Series given the scale and scope of the source material. After Dune Messiah, the books just get bigger and fatter.

Yeah I was just kidding. God Emperor is actually unadaptable. No mainstream audience would take that seriously.

Which is a bit of a shame because Heretics would make a fucking awesome film.

Kadayi

Banned
So when do we see Picard riding on the back of a mighty Shai-Hulud (or Sandworm) firing sonic beams out of his weirding module? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I actually quite dug Lynch's film. The effects haven't aged that well (but very few films of that period have) but the costumes etc were great.

The Shift

Banned
You're not bringing criticism, you're bringing whine before the parties even started. Villeneuve hasn't made a bad movie yet. Some of his casting choices raised a few eyebrows with me early on but he's got a solid record so far, so I dare say he knows what he's doing. You need to let it slide that it's probably not going to be the film you have in your head.

Got it - that clears a lot up about this thread. Cheers 🥂

I watched short clip about the actor of Rabban in Dune84 talking about that scene where he is kicking the midget that works on the hanging dead cow and then eating the cows tongue while talking to the pus pimple faced Baron Harkonnen.

Damn, that movie was wild.

I've never read the books or watched the movie, but the story really interests me. Do you recommend I start reading the books, or should I wait for the movies? Would reading the books likely make experiencing the movies worse?

mortal

Gold Member
I've never read the books or watched the movie, but the story really interests me. Do you recommend I start reading the books, or should I wait for the movies? Would reading the books likely make experiencing the movies worse?
The first book DUNE will be split into two films, starting with this one, and will cover about half of the first book.
You're more than welcome to dive into the first book. It's very a dense narrative , but takes place in a very rich and interesting world.
You'll have plenty of time in between the release of the first & second films, so I'd say go for it.

The DUNE universe is pretty expansive as well, so even if you do decide to watch this film first, it won't spoil much of the experience for yourself, at least imo.
Might even give you a newly found appreciation upon visiting the books after.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The Atreides armor looks nice but the still suits look like some bizarre biker outfits, especially those gloves. I just don't see how anyone can bet Lynch's Dune. That movie is just a perfect way to adapt a book while making it your own thing at the same time.

This movie looks so much like a tamer version of 1984 Dune, which was a tamer version of what Jodorowsky had in mind when he concepted his version in the 70ies.

I am really not sure this movie needed to be remade seeing this.

mcz117chief

This movie looks so much like a tamer version of 1984 Dune, which was a tamer version of what Jodorowsky had in mind when he concepted his version in the 70ies.

I am really not sure this movie needed to be remade seeing this.
Jodorowsky's version would be a serious acid trip, like if you combined Apocalypse Now and Blade Runner together and added a bit of that Giger sauce.

Hudo

I'd start with the first book. And if you like it, I would read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. This is the "original trilogy", as fans call it. If you like those then I also would recommend God Emperor of Dune. Every book afterwards I found kinda "okayish". But the trilogy + God Emperor are Dune for me. And Denis Villeneuve is adapting the first book into two movies.

The first book DUNE will be split into two films, starting with this one, and will cover about half of the first book.
You're more than welcome to dive into the first book. It's very a dense narrative , but takes place in a very rich and interesting world.
You'll have plenty of time in between the release of the first & second films, so I'd say go for it.

The DUNE universe is pretty expansive as well, so even if you do decide to watch this film first, it won't spoil much of the experience for yourself, at least imo.
Might even give you a newly found appreciation upon visiting the books after.
Thanks.

I'm tempted to order the first three books. Is it the first three or four that are meant to be the good ones?

I'd start with the first book. And if you like it, I would read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. This is the "original trilogy", as fans call it. If you like those then I also would recommend God Emperor of Dune. Every book afterwards I found kinda "okayish". But the trilogy + God Emperor are Dune for me. And Denis Villeneuve is adapting the first book into two movies.

Yeah, that's what I just asked before I saw your post. Thinking of getting the first three.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Yeah he will totally get to make another brown big-budget science-fiction with less than one explosion per hour once this is done flopping.

I looked at all the photos in this thread and the word that came to mind was: flop.

Love the director, love the cast, but this will be a tough sell.

DonJorginho

Banned
I don't know whether this will flop but I am not sure it will reach even 50% of the heights of Denis' past masterpieces like Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.

My main issue is a real lack of a colour pallet and it does seem pretty bland in my eyes, and the costume design is a bit mixed for me.

I also do worry how the film will manage to tackle the gigantic narrative the source material entails, I know they are seemingly splitting it within 2 parts but a HBO style series would be much better for the story and pacing's sake.

I have faith in the director and most of the cast, just worried whether Denis has been too ambitious and bitten off more than he can chew.

Yeah he will totally get to make another brown big-budget science-fiction with less than one explosion per hour once this is done flopping.
You kind of have a point. None of the pictures above don’t seem indicate any explosion of life. Everything is dull. Damn... I never took the universe of Dune to be so lifeless. I always thought caladan to be beautiful and arrakeen to be masses of people and cultures lost in pilgrimage.

Last edited:

Doczu

Thanks.

I'm tempted to order the first three books. Is it the first three or four that are meant to be the good ones?
Yes, get the first 4 books. The rest of the original Herberts books are at least good to very good.
All books by his son are hit or miss in an "expanded universe" way. Many retcons, plot problems, but if you dig the source material they MIGHT be worth a read.

You kind of have a point. None of the pictures above don’t seem indicate any explosion of life. Everything is dull. Damn... I never took the universe of Dune to be so lifeless. I always thought caladan to be beautiful and arrakeen to be masses of people and cultures lost in pilgrimage.

Dune looks like Riddick in my head. Covers everything from super-elaborate space fantasy to functional industrial designs.
Based on these pictures, the Lynch movie looked better.

GymWolf

Wait did i just saw both zendanya and aquaman in these pics? I thought this was a well acted movie...

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Birdo

Banned
Every set has that Attack Of The Clones emptyness.

Like the whole film will be three people stood in a room the size of a staduim with nothing in it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I vastly prefer the slightly older and more masculine look of Paul from the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series to both this and the 1984 version.

Top Bottom