• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look into Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member

Only on Netflix December 22.

From Zack Snyder, the filmmaker behind 300, Man of Steel, and Army of the Dead, comes REBEL MOON, an epic science-fantasy event decades in the making.

When a peaceful colony on the edge of a galaxy finds itself threatened by the armies of a tyrannical ruling force, Kora (Sofia Boutella), a mysterious stranger living among the villagers, becomes their best hope for survival. Tasked with finding trained fighters who will unite with her in making an impossible stand against the Mother World, Kora assembles a small band of warriors — outsiders, insurgents, peasants and orphans of war from different worlds who share a common need for redemption and revenge. As the shadow of an entire Realm bears down on the unlikeliest of moons, a battle over the fate of a galaxy is waged, and in the process, a new army of heroes is formed.

Dr_Salt

Cautiously optimistic. IMO Snyder hasn't made a good movie since MoS. I liked BvS and AoTD but they were just ok movies. The Snydercut was alright, nothing mindblowing either. He isn't a good cinematographer and I worry for this movie if its gonna be shot like AoTD. He should have got Larry Fong back.

Set design and costumes look good tho and seems they have a solid cast.

A bit more info and a couple of new pics:
https://www.empireonline.com/movies...-accumulation-of-everything-exclusive-images/

Last edited:

Neff

Sounds like Seven Samurai/ Magnificent Seven in space.

So Battle Beyond the Stars then

kEnbz7.jpg

gothmog

Gold Member
Cautiously optimistic. IMO Snyder hasn't made a good movie since MoS. I liked BvS and AoTD but they were just ok movies. The Snydercut was alright, nothing mindblowing either. He isn't a good cinematographer and I worry for this movie if its gonna be shot like AoTD. He should have got Larry Fong back.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...-accumulation-of-everything-exclusive-images/
I find it hard to get optimistic because Snyder seems unwilling to change. The DC fanboys really convinced him that he's not the problem with his movies.

I find it hard to get optimistic because Snyder seems unwilling to change. The DC fanboys really convinced him that he's not the problem with his movies.
I think that people are putting Snyder on too high of a pedestal of quality simply because he struck gold with a few movies. He ranges from good to alright at times, and when he has a particular vision, he goes all in on it regardless of how people feel about his filmmaking style. That's exactly what I expect from him and it makes his movies fun to watch, even if the substance isn't all there.

Expecting anything more is setting yourself up for disappointment.

TastyPastry

zack snyder is so hit and miss for me. his dawn of the dead remake is still one of my favourite zombie movies ever, i love 300 and sucker punch is a guilty pleasure but i didn't really enjoy any of his DC movies and i also hated army of the dead

FunkMiller

Gold Member
zack snyder is so hit and miss for me. his dawn of the dead remake is still one of my favourite zombie movies ever, i love 300 and sucker punch is a guilty pleasure but i didn't really enjoy any of his DC movies and i also hated army of the dead

Snyder is always at his best when somebody else is watching over him, or if he’s adapting other people’s work (fully). Left to his own devices he stuffs up every time. Good at visuals, absolutely horrible at character and story.

Dr_Salt

I think that people are putting Snyder on too high of a pedestal of quality simply because he struck gold with a few movies. He ranges from good to alright at times, and when he has a particular vision, he goes all in on it regardless of how people feel about his filmmaking style. That's exactly what I expect from him and it makes his movies fun to watch, even if the substance isn't all there.

Expecting anything more is setting yourself up for disappointment.
He has made some solid movies which happen to be some of my favorites. His DotD remake is probably my favorite zombie movie, 300 is awesome and the director's cut of watchmen is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

I don't really know what happened to him tbh, just hope he can bring some of that awesomeness he had before.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Snyder is always at his best when somebody else is watching over him, or if he’s adapting other people’s work (fully). Left to his own devices he stuffs up every time. Good at visuals, absolutely horrible at character and story.
C’mon, Darkseid slaughtering Lois Lane who is pregnant with Bruce Wayne’s baby is a Godfather-level capeshit classic we were denied!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sucker Punch with graphic gratuitous nudity would probably be one of the most heralded cult films of all time. As it is its like an itch on your back juuuuuust out of reach.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Rebel moon… what a rip off every knows that’s always associated with star wars.

He has made some solid movies which happen to be some of my favorites. His DotD remake is probably my favorite zombie movie, 300 is awesome and the director's cut of watchmen is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

I don't really know what happened to him tbh, just hope he can bring some of that awesomeness he had before.
That's why I don't think anything happened to him, he's always been who he's been, and it's simply that he was the right guy at the right time and right place when it came to filmmaking and cinema and during the filming of those movies he might have had the right script doctors and editors. Also, I think people would be much harsher on 300 if it came out today.

On a side note, it's funny to see how the sentiments of Snyder's career is like a mirror to gaming's sentiments of Kojima's career.

Dr_Salt

That's why I don't think anything happened to him, he's always been who he's been, and it's simply that he was the right guy at the right time and right place when it came to filmmaking and cinema and during the filming of those movies he might have had the right script doctors and editors. Also, I think people would be much harsher on 300 if it came out today.

On a side note, it's funny to see how the sentiments of Snyder's career is like a mirror to gaming's sentiments of Kojima's career.
Yep agreed with the Kojima comparrison.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am sorry but even the worst Snyder movies look gorgeous. Cant say that about other mediocre to bad movies with yes man directors.

Sucker Punch is one of the best movies to watch in 4k HDR. I think it actually looks better than 300 though 300 is a better movie. BvS is boring if you watch it from start to finish but i still watch clips from it every now and then. I honestly cant tell you the last time i watched a clip from the avengers movies. The only rewatchable avengers movie is Infinity War.

Hugare

I am sorry but even the worst Snyder movies look gorgeous. Cant say that about other mediocre to bad movies with yes man directors.

Sucker Punch is one of the best movies to watch in 4k HDR. I think it actually looks better than 300 though 300 is a better movie. BvS is boring if you watch it from start to finish but i still watch clips from it every now and then. I honestly cant tell you the last time i watched a clip from the avengers movies. The only rewatchable avengers movie is Infinity War.
Yeah, say what you want about his movies, they look excellent

Man of Steel had a bunch of amazing shots. One of the reasons why the trailers for the movie were fantastic (Zimmer's soundtrack helped a lot too)

Dude is amazing at composing scenes. You can see why Warner gave him such a huge chance to build a cinematic universe.

Thats why I enjoyed all of his movies (even stuff like Army of the Dead)

Last edited:
Top Bottom