• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

My gym has one. :(

Real talk: I'm having the craziest internal debate about buying a squat rack and putting it in my living room.

transform your living room into a gym room. (y)

I basically did both of these things in my last house... will have to find a picture. lol

Edit - Can't find a good one, but this was what a corner of my living room looked like:

vqaay.jpg

The blue thing at the bottom is gym flooring which I could use for deadlifting on etc. I also had a bench / squat rack setup in there.

transform your living room into a gym room. (y)

I can talk myself into it and out of it 3 times in under 15 seconds. :/

My townhouse has a spare room upstairs, but a lot of good that does me since I wouldn't think about putting heavy gym equipment in it. My downstairs is on top of a concrete slab, so it would work there, just not sure I want to do that to my floors. (I'd totally do it if the spare room was down there.)

The other outside shot is that I have an unusable single car garage (too narrow, can barely open a door all the way, and it's a tight squeeze just getting through the garage door). I could put equipment there, but I feel like it would be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Space heater? Fan?

I'm in my garage... and you just tough it out basically.

In the summer you use the biggest fan you can find (I have a warehouse fan) and in the winter you put on more clothes. Look at Brolic's vids for a good example.

Unless you insulate the hell out of it, there's no way you could heat it effectively. If you really needed something I'd suggest an infra-red heater which wouldn't heat the space, but would keep you warm in your rest periods.

Beth Cyra

Hello Fitness gaf.

I read through the OP and the last few pages and you all are awesome and it's kinda intimidating to post.

I'm trying to filter the OP for what I need so not really looking for a routine or anything as much as food advice I suppose?

Height:5 9
Weight:175
Goal:150 with definitiom
Current Training Schedule: 3 hours Evening 7 Days of the week. Usually about 1 hr 45 mins Heavy cardio then around 1 hr 30 minutes of weight training.
Current Training Equipment Available:Gym. Not fancy, but has the basics.
Comments:I have issues with body image and weight so I keep up a pretty heavy work out time.

Typically eat only once a day(OP seemed like it's a bad thing so I'm looking into food tables to graft a daily diet) so the food seems to be a killer for me as well as maybe a tad cardio heavy.

Sorry if I seen scatter shot most of my work outs/weight-loss has been self created and I go by feel.

The main thing is my current gym is in my office building, which makes it the most convenient gym outside of a home gym. There's no excuse for not going -- you're already there. It has all the equipment you need (just maybe not in quantity, I'm looking at you, lone squat rack), locker rooms, private showers. It's a great feature of the workplace.

The inconvenient thing is when it's open. It closes at 8 Mon-Thur, 7 Fri, 2 Sat, and isn't open on Sunday at all. I do a Tu-Th-Sat rotation (convenient, as I work from home MWF), but the Saturday hours are always a pain and if I miss Saturday, there's no make-up day.

Current Training Schedule: 3 hours Evening 7 Days of the week. Usually about 1 hr 45 mins Heavy cardio then around 1 hr 30 minutes of weight training.

Yeah... speaking as someone that works out seven days a week (very carefully); you need to drop your volume as there's no way your body can recover from that effectively in your 30s (without drugs at least).

I do weights and cardio on different days as you're largely stressing different systems, but even then it's easy to go too far. I'm going to guess that your weights are reasonably high intensity too... rather than working at low sets / reps with heavier weights. Can't tell without you posting details though.

I appreciate that there's a psychological aspect to this for you, but you can definitely achieve more by doing less.

I can talk myself into it and out of it 3 times in under 15 seconds. :/

My townhouse has a spare room upstairs, but a lot of good that does me since I wouldn't think about putting heavy gym equipment in it. My downstairs is on top of a concrete slab, so it would work there, just not sure I want to do that to my floors. (I'd totally do it if the spare room was down there.)

The other outside shot is that I have an unusable single car garage (too narrow, can barely open a door all the way, and it's a tight squeeze just getting through the garage door). I could put equipment there, but I feel like it would be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Space heater? Fan?

if you go the downstairs why not create a platform. may as well do it for the deadlift while youre at it. and get a power rack so you can do squats and bench. the DIY platform would be cheap anyways.

Beth Cyra

Yeah... speaking as someone that works out seven days a week (very carefully); you need to drop your volume as there's no way your body can recover from that effectively in your 30s (without drugs at least).

I do weights and cardio on different days as you're largely stressing different systems, but even then it's easy to go too far. I'm going to guess that your weights are reasonably high intensity too... rather than working at low sets / reps with heavier weights. Can't tell without you posting details though.

I appreciate that there's a psychological aspect to this for you, but you can definitely achieve more by doing less.

Thanks for the reply.

My weights aren't super heavy.

My usual weights set is.

5×5 Squats currently at 135 LBS
Leg Press 5×10 200 LBS
Calf Raises 5x30 115 lbs
Leg lift Machine 5×10 125 lbs
600 Core Excercises 300 inclined sit ups/ 100 knee raises/200 abs crunch machine between 80 lbs and 130 lbs

Arm day
5x5 Squats 115 lbs
5x5 Dead Lifts 115 lbs
5x5 Bench Press 110 LBS
5x5 Inclined Press
5x10 dumbell curls 30 lbs each hand
5x5 Overhead press 70 lbs
Core is the same.

I also do body weight core work on my lunch breaks for about 250 reps.

I have 2 days a week where I mix them together and do three leg sets and two arm sets.

Break down is 300 Core, 2 Excercising then Cardio for 35 mins, 200 Core Excercises, 2 weight ecercises, 35 more cardio, then 100 Core, 2 more exercises, then 1 last 35 minute Cardio.

I hope that makes sense.

Yeah I have a pretty crazy strong eating disorder and image issue so I just keep pushing.

I haven't been here for a while damn.

My gym has one. :(

Real talk: I'm having the craziest internal debate about buying a squat rack and putting it in my living room.

I've been tempted to do it before, but I'd be super tempted to deadlift in it as well and I don't really feel like I want to drop weights on the floor in my house lol.

Hello Fitness gaf.

I read through the OP and the last few pages and you all are awesome and it's kinda intimidating to post.

I'm trying to filter the OP for what I need so not really looking for a routine or anything as much as food advice I suppose?

Height:5 9
Weight:175
Goal:150 with definitiom
Current Training Equipment Available:Gym. Not fancy, but has the basics.
Comments:I have issues with body image and weight so I keep up a pretty heavy work out time.

Typically eat only once a day(OP seemed like it's a bad thing so I'm looking into food tables to graft a daily diet) so the food seems to be a killer for me as well as maybe a tad cardio heavy.

Sorry if I seen scatter shot most of my work outs/weight-loss has been self created and I go by feel.

There's nothing wrong with eating once a day. I've done it while dieting. The problem comes after dieting to be honest. Jamming all your food in once a day creates a bit of a psychological situation where you have no limit at any meal once you come off a diet and start eating more. I recommend tracking your calories and splitting them into 2 meals. Whether you do 25%/75% or 70/30% or whatever isn't really an issue, it becomes more personal preference.

But I think the real issue is: you're not tracking (or at least tracking with progression in mind). "Going by feel" is one of the worst things you can do for weight loss because emotions are probably what gets you to where you were when you started. That goes for diet and exercise. I'd recommend reading through this:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

It was written in 2011 and is still the best training related article I've read up till now. Plan your diet, plan your training. Leave emotions out of it, save for the mornings that you look in the mirror and dislike your body.

Beth Cyra

I haven't been here for a while damn.

I've been tempted to do it before, but I'd be super tempted to deadlift in it as well and I don't really feel like I want to drop weights on the floor in my house lol.

There's nothing wrong with eating once a day. I've done it while dieting. The problem comes after dieting to be honest. Jamming all your food in once a day creates a bit of a psychological situation where you have no limit at any meal once you come off a diet and start eating more. I recommend tracking your calories and splitting them into 2 meals. Whether you do 25%/75% or 70/30% or whatever isn't really an issue, it becomes more personal preference.

But I think the real issue is: you're not tracking (or at least tracking with progression in mind). "Going by feel" is one of the worst things you can do for weight loss because emotions are probably what gets you to where you were when you started. That goes for diet and exercise. I'd recommend reading through this:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

It was written in 2011 and is still the best training related article I've read up till now. Plan your diet, plan your training. Leave emotions out of it, save for the mornings that you look in the mirror and dislike your body.

Hmm interesting.

I think I may have some aspects of that.

Need to likely get a more personal trainer to get up to some of the baser levels they mention.

I do the Squats and dead lifts but not at the levels needed.

Hard to break up my food.

I generally eat two lean hamburger patties lettuce wrapped, Apple, carrots and a a small salad randomly.

I'll look into it though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fantastic job man

Insane lift by the way Brolic. Inspiring.

Daaaamn, Brolic. That deadlift was amazing. Didn't even look tough for you, either.

Congratulations man, that's impressive as fuck.

Holy shit, dude! Grats! Amazing work!

Fucking beast.

Please post your pic of you before you were lifting. The change is incredible.

I appreciate it guys. And FE I would, but my laptop is out for RMA.

Hmm interesting.

I think I may have some aspects of that.

Need to likely get a more personal trainer to get up to some of the baser levels they mention.

I do the Squats and dead lifts but not at the levels needed.

Hard to break up my food.

I generally eat two lean hamburger patties lettuce wrapped, Apple, carrots and a a small salad randomly.

I'll look into it though.

1 - Forget the personal trainer. You have FitGAF, who are pretty decent people for the most part. Just don't go into actual OT for training...or diet advice. Their advice will do for your body what AIDS does for your immune system.

2 - That's a pretty brutal diet, hope you can stick that out long enough to reach your goals. But I get it, it's tough to break that up any more. With a meal plan like that you get an apple and carrot sticks for lunch at best lol.

It doesn't add up... training that much and eating that little would lead to massive fatigue over time. I may be wrong, but it sounded like the poster had been doing this routine / diet plan a while.

Beth Cyra

It doesn't add up... training that much and eating that little would lead to massive fatigue over time. I may be wrong, but it sounded like the poster had been doing this routine / diet plan a while.
I have.

In fact it's nearing 7 months since I restarted.

I've seen my doctor and they ran me through tests over and over cause they thought I had kidney failure(I think?) Because I went from over 300 lbs to be like this.

I had to stop due to surgeries but started back up last year and dropped back down to this from 220 to my current weight recently and my doc says that I am in very dangerous levels because my body can't keep it up long term.

Granted I do tire out but I'm able to push through mostly due to my intense fear of becoming 300lbs again.

Hard to show with out a picture progression.

Like the rest of my day is all about sparkling waters, rockstar zero Cal energy drinks and squeeze flavorings with zero cals. I don't eat until after my work our ateam night.

I have.

In fact it's nearing 7 months since I restarted.

I've seen my doctor and they ran me through tests over and over cause they thought I had kidney failure(I think?) Because I went from over 300 lbs to be like this.

I had to stop due to surgeries but started back up last year and dropped back down to this from 220 to my current weight recently and my doc says that I am in very dangerous levels because my body can't keep it up long term.

Granted I do tire out but I'm able to push through mostly due to my intense fear of becoming 300lbs again.

Hard to show with out a picture progression.

Like the rest of my day is all about sparkling waters, rockstar zero Cal energy drinks and squeeze flavorings with zero cals. I don't eat until after my work our ateam night.

I'll agree with psycho that doing this kind of plan for that long is nothing short of a miracle. Definitely risking major burnout there. But roughly 6.4lbs/month weight loss is pretty good (although when you consider the workout effort is pretty extensive...).

Is it possible to keep a food log? I typically do it through MyFitnessPal, but whatever works. Without info, it's tough to say whether you're over/undereating, or whether some more dietary fat would benefit your efforts, etc. It's tough to give any sort of real advice or food suggestions without the data.

So I've just realised that today's workout marked the first full set (two weeks, alternating days) of my schedule that I've managed since the start of March this year. I knew that things had been fucked up because of injuries (both lifting and cycling related), but I didn't know just how fucked up they'd been.

Right now it's just a little shoulder niggle, and where my hip is still a bit fucked up from the mountain biking crash (hairline fracture), which has meant using a belt is extremely uncomfortable. But to be honest, I'm pretty fucking happy to be back in relatively good shape given I've had numerous broken / chipped bones this year and at one point really wasn't sure if I could get back to lifting properly because of major leg and hand problems.

So fingers crossed for 2017. Even if I can only get back to what I was doing, to be honest I'll be happy that it's a step in the right direction.

Beth Cyra

I'll agree with psycho that doing this kind of plan for that long is nothing short of a miracle. Definitely risking major burnout there. But roughly 6.4lbs/month weight loss is pretty good (although when you consider the workout effort is pretty extensive...).

Is it possible to keep a food log? I typically do it through MyFitnessPal, but whatever works. Without info, it's tough to say whether you're over/undereating, or whether some more dietary fat would benefit your efforts, etc. It's tough to give any sort of real advice or food suggestions without the data.

I'll download the My pal or alternative app then keep track for a week and come back with hard data so as to gI've a more accurate picture :)

mdsfx

So fingers crossed for 2017. Even if I can only get back to what I was doing, to be honest I'll be happy that it's a step in the right direction.
That's awesome. Must feel good to be getting back to normal. Recovering from injuries is so frustrating. Just have to go with the flow when that happens.

BumRush

Meet done.

1st place 242 Pure division. 2nd place overall unequipped powerlifting by .2 of a point.

Bench press, Deadlift and Unequipped total state records. Videos tonight.

Lifts 445lb squat, misgrooved 475 and almost face planted. 375lb bench 625lb dead.

https://youtu.be/laNnLzKmDHY

Thanks buddy.

LTTP as I haven't checked this thread in a minute but congratulations dude! Really proud of you and hope you are as well!!!

Beth Cyra

Goddess above. My pal fit says I'm way below what I should be. I tried to add a green salad and some hardboiled eggs.

Feel royally stuffed...gunna need to move some of that like a poster suggested.

It says I need 2k more cals as well with my work out.....no way unless I eat like a snickers or something. I don't got room for two thousand more a day.

Goddess above. My pal fit says I'm way below what I should be. I tried to add a green salad and some hardboiled eggs.

Feel royally stuffed...gunna need to move some of that like a poster suggested.

It says I need 2k more cals as well with my work out.....no way unless I eat like a snickers or something. I don't got room for two thousand more a day.

Don't take fitness advice from those apps, they're terrible. Use them exclusively for tracking food. If you eat packaged foods, scan the barcode with the app too. Stuff like that.

Seriously, don't even track your exercise with it. It's the worst.

Beth Cyra

Don't take fitness advice from those apps, they're terrible. Use them exclusively for tracking food. If you eat packaged foods, scan the barcode with the app too. Stuff like that.

Seriously, don't even track your exercise with it. It's the worst.
Oh thank goddess.

It said I only invested 1000 cals a day and I needed like 2700 hundred with the 1400 I do for cardio burns.

Good to know I can ignore that.

ILoveBish

Needed 5x195 on bench today, got 6x195. Feels good man. Trained fully fasted as well, had steak after. Living the keto dream.

Squats left, then I start 1s week. I'll be training less per week for a while I think, just due to how much work I have to do around the house. It's crunch time on getting the backyard finished.

I've been seeing people posting numbers on the big three lifts, and something seems odd.

Some of you guys are waaaay ahead of me in squats and deadlift, yet have much lower bench than I do.

My current PRs:

Squat 255x5
Bench 200x5
Deadlift 300x5

Am I the weird one benching more than I should be by comparison?

I've been seeing people posting numbers on the big three lifts, and something seems odd.

Some of you guys are waaaay ahead of me in squats and deadlift, yet have much lower bench than I do.

My current PRs:

Squat 255x5
Bench 200x5
Deadlift 300x5

Am I the weird one benching more than I should be by comparison?

There's not much carryover from Bench to Squat/Deadlift. You probably just give your chest comparatively more attention.

It also takes more energy to fatigue leg muscles compared to chest muscles, so they're a harder muscle to train.

Bodyweight plays a big factor into it too. Relatively speaking...

Lightweights tend to be strong squatters, weak benchers, average deadlifters.
Midweights tend to have average Squat/Bench, and strong deadlifts.
Heavyweights tend to be strong Squatters/Benchers and average deadlifters.

Oddly, a lot of the super light lifters here have quite impressive deadlift numbers (when taking weight into account).

For me it's Deadlift > Squat >>>>>>>>>>>> Bench

Beth Cyra

Based on what you said your diet was, it's almost certainly right on that.
Yeah. Did some extra research seemed right. Just not use to seeing numbers stare back at me.

Still in a away nice to know.

That said it claimed I'd be at 142 in 5 weeks and given how slowly I loose weight I know it's not exactly accurate.

Honestly, I'm surprised your body is capable of even existing on that intake / output. You're going to fuck yourself up pretty badly if you continue with it. As much as this thread can be of assistance with some aspects, I really think you need to speak to someone about the mental aspect of this.

For a start, as a woman your diet REALLY needs some fat for hormonal reasons... but I get the feeling that you're terrified of it.

JCX

My left hip has snap/rubberbanding (I forget the medical term) on the outside when I go down on squats. What helped me was to narrow my stance, knees forward. I basically aim for my nipples with my knees and go low, keeping my knees following the path my feet point. That stopped my issue.

I just really adjust my toes out more than usual and it alleviate my hip issue. But that may not be for everyone.

Thanks for the tips! I'll experiment a bit more to see if I can work around the tightness.

My 2017 lifting goals:

DL: 300
Bench: 230
Squat: 200

Beth Cyra

Honestly, I'm surprised your body is capable of even existing on that intake / output. You're going to fuck yourself up pretty badly if you continue with it. As much as this thread can be of assistance with some aspects, I really think you need to speak to someone about the mental aspect of this.

For a start, as a woman your diet REALLY needs some fat for hormonal reasons... but I get the feeling that you're terrified of it.
You're right and I won't argue that.

I do certainly have an issue. One of the reasons I came here was to get food ideas as I mentioned because if they are healthy and and can help me define it might help the mental side.

I also have an appointment with a Pro Neutrionist/Trainer who is going to help me come up with a work out plan that will help me get to my goals this Thursday as well as my PCP is recommending I see a therapist as they say I have a three folday eating disorder and I need to curbe it in order to get my next surgery.

Thank you for being honest and open in your reponses.

mdsfx

That's awesome! Gotta love the progress pics.

I don't take any pics of myself anymore. My progress in terms of aesthetics/size has completely stalled, probably due to my goals being cardio-based...? No idea, but I'd just be taking pictures of the same dude lol.

FE is just enormous :O

And don't sweat it, Mike. If that's what you are after that's what you are after. You know what you need to do for diet and training if you want to change - you just have to get over the mental hurdle of knowing you'll lose at least 2 of your 80 abs in the process :p

Quoting this for relevance. 1000ish calories isn't a terrible level of intake for a diet...on a regular inactive couch potato kind of day. But it's super low considering the amount of activity you have, plus the level of macro/micronutrition becomes a risk at that level. That's why tracking your intake precisely is extra important, and adjusting based on the data. Then you want to look at this part:

And see what you're lacking. Then you can probably get some very useful suggestions regarding food.

Beth Cyra

Quoting this for relevance. 1000ish calories isn't a terrible level of intake for a diet...on a regular inactive couch potato kind of day. But it's super low considering the amount of activity you have, plus the level of macro/micronutrition becomes a risk at that level. That's why tracking your intake precisely is extra important, and adjusting based on the data. Then you want to look at this part:

And see what you're lacking. Then you can probably get some very useful suggestions regarding food.
I've actually been messing with the App all morning and last evening.

It's why I tossed some eggs and a green salad.

The numbers are getting to me though lol. I love to work with numbers but right now I'm fighting with myself to fill the bars and investing more food.

Though I did have two hard boiled eggs and a single slice of toast for Breakfast as alot of resources in the OP suggest lite meals to keep my metabolism up and frankly I can't do that huge dinner again.

mdsfx

Holy high protein, Batman. And all those calories and only 50g fat?

Edit: Sorry, that probably sounded like "you're doing it wrong!" My macros are usually 120/150/100. I just love me some fat.

Top Bottom