• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Beth Cyra

I actually prefer 2 meals per day since they can be bigger / more satisfying. Also, the food tracking becomes easier the more you use it, especially if you are a creature of habit and eat the same or similar foods each day like my boring ass.

Are you sure about that 1700 calorie defect? Either you're not eating hardly anything or your workouts are legendary. I do one hour of cardio hard enough that I can't pay attention to music or a TV show and that probably only burns 500-700 calories max depending on the exercise.
I do 115 Minutes cardio burns.

Plus alternating days leg and arm days that includes at least 600 Core reps.

Level 5 Full incline eliptical and the read out shows between 600-625 a session.

Then I do inclined biking and a heavy pace and read outs show between 390-425.

I don't pay attention to shows/movies and just blast music so I can't hear those around me and go at a high pace.

As far as food I was having what I said for the last three days it's looked like this.

AM : One Slice Wheat Toast.
Lunch: Green salad, diet dressing. Tried to do a protien bar here but I hate myself for it and dropped the idea the next day.
Before work out 8 ounce single mixture protien shake 160 cals
Post work out same.
Dinner : Green Apple, 6 baby carrots and 6 ounces of Misquote Turkey with no extras or Crock pot chicken and black beans.

How strict should barbell rows be?

I remember a video of Brolic doing rows a few weeks ago, and he was clearly swinging back slightly while doing them, am I really supposed to keep my back horizontal the whole time?

SeanR1221

I finally conventionally deadlifted without pain. I've been using the trap bar pain free and walked in and said, "fuck it. I want to pull". Pulled a couple easy reps of 315 and feel perfectly fine. 👍👍

Ixian

I finally conventionally deadlifted without pain. I've been using the trap bar pain free and walked in and said, "fuck it. I want to pull". Pulled a couple easy reps of 315 and feel perfectly fine. 👍👍
Grats man, bet that felt good mentally. :) Here's hoping you don't feel it later on!

KillerBEA

I just don't know how I feel about a lever.
I felt the same way but in all honesty it seems like it would be easier to get on and off. Plus I like how it looks

Good stuff man!

mdsfx

How strict should barbell rows be?

I remember a video of Brolic doing rows a few weeks ago, and he was clearly swinging back slightly while doing them, am I really supposed to keep my back horizontal the whole time?
I might be wrong, but that might be the difference between strict form for muscle development versus powerlifting training for as much weight as possible.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Drop the weight and go deeper, IMO. You are barely touching parallel. I'm no pro but that's not deep enough, IMO. It's probably also more dangerous for your knees to stop at parallel, too. Go deep.

I'm 6'3" and go as deep as physically possible. Quads are on my chest and hams are on my calves. Basically I look like an accordion at the bottom, despite taking a closer stance than most at my height. That's with a bad back and hip issues, too. Knees feel great, tho.

This is me at the bottom, high bar:
ZUQDAnm.png

Also, I like pausing, myself. Not long but just enough to try to get rid of the insta-up. If i don't pause and just reverse direction my back says NO and I drop the weight.
http://i.imgur.com/OkbwR85.gif

MAKE FUN OF MY CALVES ALL YOU WANT, FUCKERS. I'M OVER THEM.

:(

It's probably the angle of the camera. It's way below parallel. 1-2 cm more and I'm into butt wink territory.

I used to squat all the way down just like in your pic. I've also tried low-bar, experimented with various stances etc. Done pause squats, you name it.

Don't forget that height is one thing but your levers is the most important one. I'm also 6"2 myself (1.88) height.

Beth Cyra

So I met with the Neutrionist.

She wasntold to keen on my diet so she is drafting me a brand new daily diet that I'm to follow for the next 16 weeks.

Also she said she will try to guide my training to be more productive as I'm going beyond the heart rate I should and destroying muscle with how intense my cardio burns are.

So productive and I'm hopeful.

Today was a good leg day when you follow set sets and reps. Ive been just winging it lately. But anyways I Finished off with 4x3 @ a little over 75% of 1rm. Feels good overall

ILoveBish

It's just so cold here in socal, by the time I get home from work, it's raining, I'm tired, it looks like it's 3am, have to cook, clean up backyard, guests coming over, etc, just don't feel like working out.

I'm hoping I can muster up squats tomorrow so that 5s week will be done. Should be doable.

mdsfx

It's just so cold here in socal, by the time I get home from work, it's raining, I'm tired, it looks like it's 3am, have to cook, clean up backyard, guests coming over, etc, just don't feel like working out.

I'm hoping I can muster up squats tomorrow so that 5s week will be done. Should be doable.
This is why I have to do it in the early morning. By the time I get home from work, eat dinner, clean up, help kids with school work, get them ready for bed, etc, there's no time or energy for working out.

It took about 3 weeks to become acclimated, but it's a good feeling to be done first thing in the morning and not have to worry about it for the rest of the day.

ILoveBish

This is why I have to do it in the early morning. By the time I get home from work, eat dinner, clean up, help kids with school work, get them ready for bed, etc, there's no time or energy for working out.

It took about 3 weeks to become acclimated, but it's a good feeling to be done first thing in the morning and not have to worry about it for the rest of the day.

I considered it, but when I wake up, I have no idea what planet I'm on. I'm horrible in the mornings, but generally super energized by night. It's been working out well for a while but the rain in socal has made it really crappy.

It's probably the angle of the camera. It's way below parallel. 1-2 cm more and I'm into butt wink territory.

I used to squat all the way down just like in your pic. I've also tried low-bar, experimented with various stances etc. Done pause squats, you name it.

Don't forget that height is one thing but your levers is the most important one. I'm also 6"2 myself (1.88) height.
Eh, the angle of the cam doesn't matter when the safeties on all the racks are parallel with the floor and you are parallel with the safeties (all of them in the vid). Dead air behind your knees is another giveaway.

I mean I know you are in ridiculously great shape but I'm a stickler for squats and I'd rather see people go down if their ROM allows it than stack weight just to say they can stack weight and go parallel. Buttwink is also blown way out of proportion and has more to do with your pelvis rotating than your back. You'd have to go out of your way to hurt your back with bad form squatting low and curl yourself over to do it. Not saying it can't happen, people who are predisposed to issues can hurt themselves but if you don't have any pain, you're fine.

My lumbar on my left is all kinds of blown up. I posted a pic a while back and it looks like I'm goddamn Quasimodo and it gives me issues from time to time but I've had that for years before lifting. I keep my squats light because of it but still can go all the way down without any fear of my spine. When I stack heavy it hurts through full ROM so I don't 1RM my squat almost ever.

Not picking or trying to offend but squats are one of my pet peeves, probably because I have that lumbar issue so I am adamant about form over weight due to how complex the squat is and not getting hurt in the process. Just throwing out a friendly observation is all.

KillerBEA

Get such strange looks from people when I do Glute Hip Thrusts. Don't care, seeing amazing ass gains from it. Plus it's helping fix the issue that caused me to get hurt in the first place.

I'm in the "deciding which piece of furniture I don't want" phase of the internal debate over buying a squat rack for the home. I'm not sure I need a dining room table, for example. Or a couch (I have a couch and a partitioned loveseat).

Truth be told, the best place for the equipment would be in the dining area of my downstairs, but the item I'm more keen on giving up is actually the couch. In theory, I could keep both and just have somewhat of a cluttered space. I've ruled out the garage -- I just don't want to be out there.

I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...598195&categoryId=12598202&fg=Resistance Type

It doesn't have to be that one, specifically, but that's the design I'm going for.

Ixian

That's pretty cool looking. I'm looking to upgrade my setup to a proper rack soon as well and was eyeing this one:

Currently on sale too, so I might finally take the plunge!

Edit: Ended up going for it. There was also a 10% off coupon (TAKE10) which knocked it down to $240. Excited to have something a bit more serious and safe for my lifts now that I'm progressing higher. :D

GrapeApes

I just don't know how I feel about a lever.
Lever belts are great if your weight stays the same and you don't change belt location depending on the exercise. I've been rocking with the Inzer lever for 2 years and it still gets the job done. Very tight when I lock it in. I only tend to adjust the belt like twice a year(tighten and then loosen again) so no big deal for me.

Something about working out through holidays makes me feel better than everyone else.

I'd assume you'd just look in the mirror to feel that. :p

I've not done any resistance training yet. Two four hour rides have left me utterly knackered. Going for a hike tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a bit of energy for some simple stuff in the afternoon.

mdsfx

My ego isn't nearly big enough to actually think that. I've also settled into 10%+ BF with no need to go lower and I still have chicken legs.

Went swimming early this morning at a new swim center and watched about a half dozen women from a swim team leave me in their wakes. Good god they were fast. Nothing like a reminder that you still have a long way to go!

SeanR1221

Grats man, bet that felt good mentally. :) Here's hoping you don't feel it later on!

I felt the same way but in all honesty it seems like it would be easier to get on and off. Plus I like how it looks

Good stuff man!

Good to hear bud.

Thanks fellas.

Things continue to go well. Yesterday I did 185 squats for 11,10,10,8,7,7 with minimal rest between sets and no pain today.

Deadlifts today I did 315x8 and felt fine.

Finally feeling some motivation again. I think all those trap bar deadlifts and leg presses helped in recovery.

ILoveBish

Squats felt good today, 240x5. Probably had more in the tank but its christmas eve, so those vanity lifts had to get done. The wifey took a picture of me while i was working out and it looks decent actually, so i thought i'd show you guys for where i am at right now. You'll need to quote this post to see the URL.

Merry christmas fitgaf!

Ixian

Squats felt good today, 240x5. Probably had more in the tank but its christmas eve, so those vanity lifts had to get done. The wifey took a picture of me while i was working out and it looks decent actually, so i thought i'd show you guys for where i am at right now. You'll need to quote this post to see the URL.

Merry christmas fitgaf!
Looking good man.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to FitGAF! Hope you all enjoy your family meals or however it is you're going to celebrate. I'm going to have a nice big lunch with my girlfriend's family tomorrow; was hoping to squeeze in a work out before then but we need time to prep our dish so it'll have to wait.

normaly i do my workout at night/evening - but since i a while now i have to do it in the morning (8am)

do you think this is ok as a pre workout shake (oat flakes + whey + Banana + milk)?

i will drink the shake around 1hour before training and shortly before training also a cup of coffee

lenovox1

normaly i do my workout at night/evening - but since i a while now i have to do it in the morning (8am)

do you think this is ok as a pre workout shake (oat flakes + whey + Banana + milk)?

i will drink the shake around 1hour before training and shortly before training also a cup of coffee

Drink coffee earlier. It takes an hour for caffeine to work.

danthefan

Wonder if I could get some advice. I've been doing a starting strength type routine recently but I've to dodgy enough knees and I'm finding squats very hard on them to the point I think I'll have to stop. I know squats are probably the most important lift but is there anything I can replace them with? I can do a deadlift a bit better because it's the sideways pressure that comes when a squat that causes the pain.

Basically is there a good routine out there if I can't squat?

mdsfx

I ate and drank so much yesterday that I still feel full. Woke up at 4:45 today, went to the local YMCA, ran 5 miles, then swam 1 mile. Drinking coffee and water today with no intention of eating. Blecghch!!

Any of you guys squat heavy with Nike metcons?

I'm close to being able to squat 3 plates and I use AdiPowers but I would like to just have one shoe for my workouts. Right now I have to switch out between my AdiPowers and then regular shoes once I'm done squatting. This is getting more difficult as the gym gets crowded

Sigh. I've been doing about three hours of exercise a day since my holiday started and my missus is still managing to out eat me, even though she's only exercised once. Feels like there's nothing I can do about it without possibly making things even worse. :(

She's already fairly overweight and very much heading in the wrong direction.

Beth Cyra

Sigh. I've been doing about three hours of exercise a day since my holiday started and my missus is still managing to out eat me, even though she's only exercised once. Feels like there's nothing I can do about it without possibly making things even worse. :(

I can understand.

My SO is heavy set as well and eats about as much as me but also eats a ton of junk like candy and chips.

We have talked about it,but she just doesn't want to work out or excercise so at this point we just have to not discuss it at this point.

I love her but until she is ready she won't change.

Wonder if I could get some advice. I've been doing a starting strength type routine recently but I've to dodgy enough knees and I'm finding squats very hard on them to the point I think I'll have to stop. I know squats are probably the most important lift but is there anything I can replace them with? I can do a deadlift a bit better because it's the sideways pressure that comes when a squat that causes the pain.

Basically is there a good routine out there if I can't squat?
How wide is your stance if "sideways pressure" is a thing o_O

I keep my feet shoulder width, on the drop I bring my knees to my nipples. I "had" an issue with one knee but it's been so long since I've had any pain I honestly can't remember when was the last time any lift gave my knees an issue.

Where does the pain start in the range of motion? Through the entire lift, the bottom, top, etc? A few more details and possibly a video of your form would help.

I ate and drank so much yesterday that I still feel full. Woke up at 4:45 today, went to the local YMCA, ran 5 miles, then swam 1 mile. Drinking coffee and water today with no intention of eating. Blecghch!!
Was at the wife's uncle's house last night. I hauled home all the leftovers :D

I can understand.

My SO is heavy set as well and eats about as much as me but also eats a ton of junk like candy and chips.

We have talked about it,but she just doesn't want to work out or excercise so at this point we just have to not discuss it at this point.

I love her but until she is ready she won't change.
This is rough. Outside of speaking with your SO's about the issue, if they fail to be receptive and respond, there are a few other avenues you can probably use to let them make a conclusion on their own with a little bit of helpful guidance.

When it comes to weight issues, people are rarely receptive of outside influences from loved ones. One approach requires a degree of insecurity from your partner in the sack, as usually if you don't feel sexy, you are less likely to be sexually active. You can use that angle to maybe voice some concern over a slumping sex life (this part is required) and try to dig the answer out of them, usually it's body image issues. Sex is a huge part of relationships and it's hard to keep up over the years and voicing your frustrations over not getting some - in a nice and constructive, supportive way - may lead the other to evaluate how their body image issues are straining that aspect of your life and that they need to make a positive change. Again, the prerequisite here is that there's a change in overall sexual appetite and desire that MAY be related to body image. I know when I'm on my bulk phase I'm usually like "LIGHTS OFF IS FINE YO".

You can also look for other avenues that show negative movement in a direction that can be associated with body image and prod JUST the right amount to let them draw their own conclusions but, more often than not when in a relationship, sex is usually the first to go. Then if movement is being made, be sure to reward your partner with the Holy Trinity
toys, restraints, furniture
if you guys aren't already into it as a way to positively reinforce lifestyle changes.

I am not a psychologist but I've learned that when dealing with some issues, people tend to ignore the advice or concern from immediate loved ones, even for simple, non-sensitive stuff. So a good approach is leading them to an answer through other concerns where they think they drew their own conclusions based on how those concerns affect you. You just really have to be subtle about it and show support through the process.

Beth Cyra

Spike her drink with preworkout >.>
Lol.

Heather is an amazing woman and I'm the luckiest lady on the planet to have her.

I just worry I'll lose her to this but I also know it's impossible to force her.

I got abunch of stuff ready,links foods and starting points and a shoulder to cry on when needed so just got to wait it out and hope.

Sadly the sex life went some years back (together nearly 20 years), so that's not an angle that'll have much relevance for us. Appreciate the advice, though I'm starting to think it's a bit of a lost cause.

Currently at Macy's trying to buy some fancy pants for school and having a difficult time trying to find something that fits my monster thighs. I probably should lay off the squats but 405lbs is so damn close. Anyone else having problems with the fancy wardrobe with their new physique?

Top Bottom