• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

mdsfx

Got out for a fairly refreshing (17°F) 10-mile run early this morning to start things off. I'm aiming for a minimum of 1000/1000/100 miles for run/bike/swim this year. Pretty sure I hit 1000 for running last year, but I didn't track everything :(

Also I REALLY badly want to pass the 300lb mark for squats. Closest I've been is 290, but I'm much lower right now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hope everyone had a safe, happy and healthy new years eve. My wife went up 5lbs last night...I went down 2. I won't be telling her that ;)

Good luck at the crowded gyms these next couple weeks. Unless you're Brolic and you get to bask in the glory of your own personal gym

One of the best things about it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...

Not looking forward to the gym tomorrow...

Maybe I'll go early in the morning.

I've been going to the gym for about 4 months now. I've only been going a couple times a week as I'm not really wanting to get huge. I seem to be having trouble making any progress on the bench press. I'm basically benching the same amount as I was when I started. I'm doing flat bench, 3 sets of 12 at approx 100lbs on a machine, I think it's hydraulic. (I'm a scrawny guy). I feel like my arms are giving out before I feel any burn in my chest. Sometimes instead I'll do dumbell press, 3 sets of 12 at 35lbs. At least I feel a little pull on the sides of my chest when I do those.

I've been increasing my tricep workouts thinking that might help, but I'm still not really seeing any improvement.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I've been going to the gym for about 4 months now. I've only been going a couple times a week as I'm not really wanting to get huge. I seem to be having trouble making any progress on the bench press. I'm basically benching the same amount as I was when I started. I'm doing flat bench, 3 sets of 12 at approx 100lbs on a machine, I think it's hydraulic. (I'm a scrawny guy). I feel like my arms are giving out before I feel any burn in my chest. Sometimes instead I'll do dumbell press, 3 sets of 12 at 35lbs. At least I feel a little pull on the sides of my chest when I do those.

I've been increasing my tricep workouts thinking that might help, but I'm still not really seeing any improvement.

Do lower reps but increase the amount of weight, you should notice a difference.

Also you aren't necessarily going to feel your muscles burning or leave your body unmovable sore from every single workout.

Get off machines and on a barbell. No exceptions.

You also won't get "huge" if you lift proper. That requires an extreme amount of dedication, time and proper diet. It takes a silly long time to even look respectable and "in shape", let alone "huge".

What does your diet look like? What does 3x12 mean to you? That's exceptionally low volume for a major muscle group if that is your only chest plan. If your arms are giving out, stop PUSHING with your arms and start ROTATING your arm at the elbow to an upright position, chest out, shoulders back and down. Chest is very much a squeeze action like scissors with your arms and less a push with your arms forward. Look up any bench press video on YouTube from Alan Thrall to understand the complexity of a bench press.

What routine are you following for training and what diet changes have you made?

Again, it takes a lot of dedication, effort and time to move your body in any direction, it won't just happen if you just go to the gym without a good plan in place and understanding of the how and why. There are super easy plans to follow for beginners like Starting Strength. An excellent tool for the newcomer that will seriously help build a proper foundation. Don't be afraid of free weights, be afraid of machines, IMO. The OP is littered with info on where to start and why.

Good luck!

Mugaaz

2016 was a good year. Hit a 405 squat, 510 dead, and 315 bench. Hope to do as well in 2017, but I also need to get my waistline under control.

Get off machines and on a barbell. No exceptions.

You also won't get "huge" if you lift proper. That requires an extreme amount of dedication, time and proper diet. It takes a silly long time to even look respectable and "in shape", let alone "huge".

What does your diet look like? What does 3x12 mean to you? That's exceptionally low volume for a major muscle group if that is your only chest plan. If your arms are giving out, stop PUSHING with your arms and start ROTATING your arm at the elbow to an upright position, chest out, shoulders back and down. Chest is very much a squeeze action like scissors with your arms and less a push with your arms forward. Look up any bench press video on YouTube from Alan Thrall to understand the complexity of a bench press.

What routine are you following for training and what diet changes have you made?

Again, it takes a lot of dedication, effort and time to move your body in any direction, it won't just happen if you just go to the gym without a good plan in place and understanding of the how and why. There are super easy plans to follow for beginners like Starting Strength. An excellent tool for the newcomer that will seriously help build a proper foundation. Don't be afraid of free weights, be afraid of machines, IMO. The OP is littered with info on where to start and why.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs. I eat around 2000 calories a day. I used to be quite overweight so I try to carefully watch what I eat. I've been trying to get more protein lately, I recently bought some whey to drink on workout nights.

As far as my chest routine. I do 20 pushups every morning. I try to keep my hands close together as I read it help focus chest. The aforementioned machine and dumbell bench. Along with 3 sets of 10 at 100lbs on a fly machine. 3 sets of 10 at 30 dumbell flys.

I'm admittedly not "all in" so to speak on this whole thing. I honestly didn't think I'd stick with it this long. I have noticed I do look a bit better, but I guess my expectations are a little off for me not being very dedicated and not having done a whole lot of research. Especially for only having been at it for 4 months. I feel like I might be at a plateau until I really start taking this more seriously.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
FitGAF,

I've been doing Inverted Rows and Reverse Dips to build upper body stength for Pull-ups.

Are these good exercises to do?

I haven't really set too many specific goals this year. I mainly just want to consistently hit the gym all year. Between a hamstring injury, around 3 months of travel and a bad case of the flu I missed out on a lot of gym time last year.

Hope everyone had a safe, happy and healthy new years eve. My wife went up 5lbs last night...I went down 2. I won't be telling her that ;)

Good luck at the crowded gyms these next couple weeks. Unless you're Brolic and you get to bask in the glory of your own personal gym

I feel like that's limited in Australia somewhat. Around where I live it's been sitting close to 40 degrees each day and it's hot from early morning until late at night. So despite New Years resolutions and everyone wanting 'summer bodies' I find the gyms aren't that much more busy. If anything you tend to see the semi regular/regular people showing up more often.

Gained 2.1kg (4.6lb) over my Christmas break. I'm OK with that.

Is hilarious though, given I did more than 30 hours of exercise in 10 days. lol

mdsfx

Gained 2.1kg (4.6lb) over my Christmas break. I'm OK with that.

Is hilarious though, given I did more than 30 hours of exercise in 10 days. lol
Jesus, I was happy to hit 10 hours over 10 days :[

The gym rush is in full effect. F*cking treadmill army in there today lol. Locker room was assess and elbows, "Excuse me, pardon me, sorry..."

Also, it's great that you think you look good naked. I'm happy for you, but please, put that thing away. You don't need to strut it around all over the place for as long as possible while you're getting ready. The mirrors everywhere ensure that it's always in my vision and I can't f*cking escape it.

Astral

Wow. So I slipped and fell yesterday and have a bruise on my ass. Now because of that squats hurt like fucking hell there.

KillerBEA

Benched 200 lb.... with the slingshot for 2 singles.

Amazing+pictures+animals+photos+Nature+exotic+incredible+funny+soon+humor+meme+15.jpg

Happy 2017 fitgaf.

I took a week off of lifting to eat chocolates/chips/other foods and coming back to work out is currently the worst thing ever. Tried to do 430lbs and only managed 3 reps before the hand pain set in lol.

I think it's time to start dieting too...I'm pretty sure I'm getting a little fat from the food and videogames routine in the past week.

What do you guys think of Isopure Zero/Low Carb Protein Powder? I hear it's some of the best stuff on the market and was thinking of buying some, but it's a little expensive. I am doing the low carb thing though so I think it would be beneficial.

Also am thinking of buying some Creatine as well.

Can anybody give me some pointers on getting in shape or maybe point me in the right direction resource wise as to where I should look? I am once again trying to get into shape for the new year after gaining weight last year since I fell off the wagon and stopped exercising. I have started going for a walk/run every day, but other than cardio I really do not know what I should be doing since I don't have access to a gym although I do have dumbbells on hand. I am 6'1 and weigh around 210lbs so right now I was going to focus on tons of cardio to burn off the fat I gained and then try to put on some muscle I manage to slim down to the 160lb-170lb range.

mdsfx

Psychotext, quick question: How might I convert watts over time to estimated calories burned from a spinner bike?

mdsfx

Thanks!

Edit: This is giving me 800 calories for a 45 minute session averaging 270 Watts. Am I doing this wrong? I'll give it another read through.

Edit 2: Ah, the Keiser M3 I was riding estimates power... Somehow. So it's basically all BS. Cool.

Reading more into this, I bet my wattage was more like 170! Gotta love inflated numbers. No wonder people at the gym have such a hard time losing weight.

270 watts for 45 minutes would be a pretty good number (body weight depending of course). My 30 minute max is around that.

...and yeah, calorie estimates tend to be a complete waste of time sadly.

Mugaaz

IMO, you are not seeing an improvement because you are not training. This is random exercising of the chest. Which is fine. If it makes you feel good, enjoy. It is not particularly effective at making you stronger though. There is no systemic approach to increasing your strength. If you want to get strong, then I'd recommend getting on a training program and following that program as written without making any changes. I also recommend Starting Strength.

rambis

Banned
Got duped into a Planet Fitness membership since they have the $1 down/10 a month deal for the New Years crowd. First time in one and I have to see its the worse gym I ever been to. Like what kind of gym only gives you a Smith Machine for bench pressing?

ACE 1991

Man, holiday break through my morning workout schedule out of whack, I could not force myself to get up for me pre-work session. I'll head over with my girlfriend after work but I doubt there will be any of two squat racks remotely close to open... Leg press it is, I guess.

EDIT: Any SLDL form tips? It's been bugging my lower back recently.

First weight session since the holidays. Went much better than I expected. I thought 10 days of cardio would have left me weakened, but everything was where I left it or a little above.

Here's hoping it continues.

EDIT: Any SLDL form tips? It's been bugging my lower back recently.

Usual answer I see for that is using less weight and really concentrating on activating your hamstrings and glutes. I find once I go past a certain weight I can no longer feel it in those muscles at all, but pretty much entirely in my lower back.

mdsfx

Turning 34 tomorrow. My wife jokes that I'm getting old and it's hard for me not to laugh. I was a sedentary POS a few years back. The way things are going I feel like I'm getting younger :p

Planning to head in early tomorrow for a good squat session followed by a 1.5 mile swim and a quick hot tub soak. Then? Donuts for everybody!

BumRush

Got duped into a Planet Fitness membership since they have the $1 down/10 a month deal for the New Years crowd. First time in one and I have to see its the worse gym I ever been to. Like what kind of gym only gives you a Smith Machine for bench pressing?

One that costs $10 a month :p

Laekon

So I decided to make my new goal to finally start working out. Got some home equipment and was looking through the first post. I don't have access to a pull up bar at home (house is old and don't want to risk damaging the frames) so what would be a good substitute?
There really isn't any. You can buy a free standing pull-up/dip station but they take up a good amount of space. You can do bands in a doorway but it's not even close to being the same. My apartment doesn't have a single doorway a pull bar will fit onto and I haven't found any type of replacement.

An older house is probably more likely to handle the pull up bar then a new one.

Turning 34 tomorrow. My wife jokes that I'm getting old...

:mad:

(Also, happy birthday old man)

My apartment doesn't have a single doorway a pull bar will fit onto and I haven't found any type of replacement.

An older house is probably more likely to handle the pull up bar then a new one.

The bar I'm using does no damage to the frame... or at least hasn't in my case:

71o8tjjkuvl._sl1500_ynanq.jpg

Obviously there's the sort that screws in... which does damage by default.

Szu

Turning 34 tomorrow. My wife jokes that I'm getting old and it's hard for me not to laugh. I was a sedentary POS a few years back. The way things are going I feel like I'm getting younger :p

Planning to head in early tomorrow for a good squat session followed by a 1.5 mile swim and a quick hot tub soak. Then? Donuts for everybody!

Well, if it makes you feel better, your age will be the inverse of mine.

Bleh, the combination of injuries limiting my progress and holiday food have put my ass over 200 lbs for the first time in over 10 years.

It's called "PowerBar 2" and it's available in the UK on Amazon and Ebay. Had a quick look around and didn't see any of the US sites selling it.

Beta Alanine
Caffeine (Espressos!)
Citrulline Malate
Creatine
Taurine

...and because I train fasted:
BCAA
HMB

You can look them all up here... https://examine.com/supplements/

Oh, and worth keeping in mind that I'm primarily an endurance athlete, so there are things in there that are better suited to what I do.

Top Bottom