• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

ACE 1991

Beta Alanine
Caffeine (Espressos!)
Citrulline Malate
Creatine
Taurine

...and because I train fasted:
BCAA
HMB

You can look them all up here... https://examine.com/supplements/

Oh, and worth keeping in mind that I'm primarily an endurance athlete, so there are things in there that are better suited to what I do.

I train in the AM before work and have only a 250 calorie protein bar before lifting, am I still fasted? Which of these would you cut if you were only really lifting? Thanks for the response :)

KillerBEA

Turning 34 tomorrow. My wife jokes that I'm getting old and it's hard for me not to laugh. I was a sedentary POS a few years back. The way things are going I feel like I'm getting younger :p

Planning to head in early tomorrow for a good squat session followed by a 1.5 mile swim and a quick hot tub soak. Then? Donuts for everybody!
Happy birthday dude!

Anyone make their own pre-workout? What recipe do you use if so?

1-2 hours before workout:

1 scoop of whey
2 scoops of oats ~60g
2 heaped teaspoons of peanut butter
1 scoop of creatine

30 mins before:

An orange or banana
Sometimes a cup of coffee that I'll sip on throughout if I feel like crap.

ACE 1991

1-2 hours before workout:

1 scoop of whey
2 scoops of oats ~60g
2 heaped teaspoons of peanut butter
1 scoop of creatine

30 mins before:

An orange or banana
Sometimes a cup of coffee that I'll sip on throughout if I feel like crap.

I have basically this immediately after my workout.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Turning 34 tomorrow. My wife jokes that I'm getting old and it's hard for me not to laugh. I was a sedentary POS a few years back. The way things are going I feel like I'm getting younger :p

Planning to head in early tomorrow for a good squat session followed by a 1.5 mile swim and a quick hot tub soak. Then? Donuts for everybody!
Damn. Why is FitGaf filled with so many dinosaurs? Happy birthday old timer!

mdsfx

:mad:
(Also, happy birthday old man)
Well, if it makes you feel better, your age will be the inverse of mine.
Happy birthday Mikey!
Happy birthday dude!
Damn. Why is FitGaf filled with so many dinosaurs? Happy birthday old timer!

Thanks? Lol

110 lengths in the pool today non-stop. Just over 1.5 miles. Squats need some serious work as always.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There really isn't any. You can buy a free standing pull-up/dip station but they take up a good amount of space. You can do bands in a doorway but it's not even close to being the same. My apartment doesn't have a single doorway a pull bar will fit onto and I haven't found any type of replacement.

An older house is probably more likely to handle the pull up bar then a new one.
Yeah, I haven't seen any damage to the MDF molding, with 200lbs on the bar (155 + 45), I would think solid wood would handle it fine.

So I decided to make my new goal to finally start working out. Got some home equipment and was looking through the first post. I don't have access to a pull up bar at home (house is old and don't want to risk damaging the frames) so what would be a good substitute?

Do you live in a community with a playground nearby for kids? If so: take a walk, go to playground, find bar, chinups, leave.

Man, saw the Alan Thrall video arguing the negatives of ATG squatting today. I only did it to be sure I was going deep enough since I'm a horrible judge of depth. I'm gonna have to be one of those people who records his lifts all the time aren't I?

Do you live in a community with a playground nearby for kids? If so: take a walk, go to playground, find bar, chinups, leave.

Man, saw the Alan Thrall video arguing the negatives of ATG squatting today. I only did it to be sure I was going deep enough since I'm a horrible judge of depth. I'm gonna have to be one of those people who records his lifts all the time aren't I?

ive been going atg for awhile but after that video i cut depth slightly and it's probably better because i get more spring rather than it losing tension at the bottom when i go beyond that point.

ive been going atg for awhile but after that video i cut depth slightly and it's probably better because i get more spring rather than it losing tension at the bottom when i go beyond that point.

Yeah, I always felt like it was a weak point when bottoming out. I always kind of chalked it up to my buttocks being weak. I tried going "to depth" today and it felt better, but at the same time I don't want to end up being like the half/quarter squatters that are doing 360+ "no problem."

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
https://youtu.be/FkP4bto2_2c

340x18 beltless highbar

I've had the flu/cold for the last few days so I wasn't sure how a set of 20 would go. I feel like I can do 350 fresh beltless. I have cold sweats going on now doing my rows.. 😣😥

I did beltless front squat singles and doubles up to 340 before this.

Szu

I'm too old for thinking and comprehending.

giphy.gif

Sooo... how ugly does a rep need to be before it no longer counts as a rep?

I was doing 1 rep maxes on squats and my final rep nearly folded me in half, but I got it back up, just. I believe in powerlifting it doesn't count if the bar ever head back downwards, so I'll have to check.

UUUUUGGGGLLLLYYYYY.

Sooo... how ugly does a rep need to be before it no longer counts as a rep?

I was doing 1 rep maxes on squats and my final rep nearly folded me in half, but I got it back up, just. I believe in powerlifting it doesn't count if the bar ever head back downwards, so I'll have to check.

UUUUUGGGGLLLLYYYYY.

To me it only doesn't count when you don't hit parallel. Yours counts as a free good-morning rep

mdsfx

Anyone ever dork out in Excel with tracking their progress? I love doing this. I'm such a nerd, but I don't even care.

***Obviously calories burned is an estimate (I made the formula 90cal per mile ran, 35 per mile cycled, 350 per mile swam).

SeanR1221

Anyone ever dork out in Excel with tracking their progress? I love doing this. I'm such a nerd, but I don't even care.

***Obviously calories burned is an estimate (I made the formula 90cal per mile ran, 35 per mile cycled, 350 per mile swam).

Nah but I still do MyFitnessPal pal daily. I've weighed myself and tracked my food everyday for the past 588 days.

335x6 on deadlifts today. Slowly but surly coming back. Still no back pain

KillerBEA

I keep hand written logs personally.

Because I was so tired of not being able to reach PRs on either BP or OHP, I finally bit the bullet and bought some fractional plates so I can have smaller increases in wt to see if that helps. What's weird though is that all the accessory exercises I do for those lifts have been increasing steadily but not the main lifts. That's not normal right?

Also, and what is probably another weird thing, is that I have been getting compliments about my physique from friends and family, but I kinda don't feel like I'm anywhere near where I want to be in terms of what i think is "good". Like I feel like my forearms could be bigger, my chest could be bigger, etc etc. Has that been an issue for anyone else, or am I just going crazy?

KillerBEA

Because I was so tired of not being able to reach PRs on either BP or OHP, I finally bit the bullet and bought some fractional plates so I can have smaller increases in wt to see if that helps. What's weird though is that all the accessory exercises I do for those lifts have been increasing steadily but not the main lifts. That's not normal right?
Could be a form issue or a programming fallacy. Might have a weakness you're not properly addressing. Might be doing too much, or too little. Can't say for sure. Give the fractional plates a spin for a bit and see what happens.

Also fractional plates are awesome, I use mine all the time. Easily one of my best fitness related purchases. I can go up as little as a half pound a week if I need to.
Also, and what is probably another weird thing, is that I have been getting compliments about my physique from friends and family, but I kinda don't feel like I'm anywhere near where I want to be in terms of what i think is "good". Like I feel like my forearms could be bigger, my chest could be bigger, etc etc. Has that been an issue for anyone else, or am I just going crazy?

cea3b31db5ac529f6109e43c605c69be.jpg

velociraptor

Fractional plates have been revolutionary for increasing my OHP.

However, my BP has sucked for months. I don't know what it is. I've tried different programs with no success.

Could be worse. I've been working out for years and the best I've ever got is "you look like you've lost weight". Stupid endurance body (mirror version is perfect!).

But yeah, body dysmorphia is a huge thing in the fitness community. Not to mention that the more time you spend watching youtube channels / reading articles / studying form etc, the harsher you're likely to judge yourself vs the average human.

sphinx

the piano man
I think I am done with Protein shakes.

I like them but I am not sure I believe they are a good replacement for food based protein. I guess I could use them when going on a strict diet to lose weight but for attaining quality muscle mass... mmh, dunno, I don't think they provide enough nutrients. am I wrong here?

But yeah, body dysmorphia is a huge thing in the fitness community. Not to mention that the more time you spend watching youtube channels / reading articles / studying form etc, the harsher you're likely to judge yourself vs the average human.

it's pretty bad when you are single and you refuse to go on dates because you haven't had noticeable progress in a couple of months -_- people really don't care at all, in the least.

thing is, for people asking me out for a date in the dating app, I probably reached "the dream goal" some years ago.

KillerBEA

These ass gains... gonna need to buy new pants soon.

I like them but I am not sure I believe they are a good replacement for food based protein. I guess I could use them when going on a strict diet to lose weight but for attaining quality muscle mass... mmh, dunno, I don't think they provide enough nutrients. am I wrong here?

Protein shakes/supplements are convenient other wise food based proteins will always win.

entremet

Going to gyms for over a decade and one thing I've always wondered.

Why are the majority of personal trainers so bad?

Some of the crazy routines I see these people put their clients through. Many of it just seems like random hodgepodge of exercises. And that bosu ball is still all the rage.

mdsfx

I don't think they will ever compare to unprocessed protein from foods, but it's better than nothing. They are just a convenience and make it easy for people with busy schedules, those who have trouble eating so much food protein, etc.

SeanR1221

Going to gyms for over a decade and one thing I've always wondered.

Why are the majority of personal trainers so bad?

Some of the crazy routines I see these people put their clients through. Many of it just seems like random hodgepodge of exercises. And that bosu ball is still all the rage.

On a basic level it probably boils down to two factors.

1.) it doesn't take a lot of education/training to be a personal trainer

2.) more confusing and whacky stuff a client does, the more they depend on you. If you gave them a basic strength or hupertrophy program they'd only need you for some basic form checks.

KmA

I just did gymnastics for 3 hours I'm dead. I'm thinking of adding 2 sessions of gymnastics a week to my routine in addition to my 5 day lifting routine like... I actually enjoy doing it and I'm having fun being active like who knew that was possible. But the rate of injury is so high for gymnastics. I hate that everything active is so injury prone how annoying!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't think they will ever compare to unprocessed protein from foods, but it's better than nothing. They are just a convenience and make it easy for people with busy schedules, those who have trouble eating so much food protein, etc.
I think it is strange to see this kind of a priori argument from a group of people who generally apply a fairly scientific approach to training. Is there any evidence to support the notion that normal dietary protein is better than reconstituted whey protein?

Define better. Generally you get a number of extra micronutrients with "food" rather than pure whey. Absorption profiles are differ significantly too, though this can be better or worse depending on your needs. You'll also stay "fuller" for longer if you eat something like a chicken breast vs drinking a protein shake... but again, that depends on your needs.

Unrelated, I'm thinking I might skip today's workout. Heart rate variability has been bad the last few days, leg DOMS have been continuous and I'm feeling like crap. Reckon I might need a rest day.

mdsfx

I think it is strange to see this kind of a priori argument from a group of people who generally apply a fairly scientific approach to training. Is there any evidence to support the notion that normal dietary protein is better than reconstituted whey protein?
Egg whites are supposed to be one of the purest, most easily digested/absorbed forms of protein. Are you still getting the same amount of protein with a shake? Probably. Is it the same quality? I would guess no. Does it matter? I have no idea, but I assume better quality protein is better for your body. I'm no scientist or doctor so who knows.

Sheppard

Hello once again fitness gaf. I would like to thank you guys for helping me a bit earlier in the year. I posted a while back about biking and you guys came through.

With the winter being here and biking being a bit cold, I was looking into swimming. Would you guys know of any decent priced waterproof earphones or any advice on underwater entertainment? I have a feeling swimming is going to be boring lol.

mdsfx

Hello once again fitness gaf. I would like to thank you guys for helping me a bit earlier in the year. I posted a while back about biking and you guys came through.

With the winter being here and biking being a bit cold, I was looking into swimming. Would you guys know of any decent priced waterproof earphones or any advice on underwater entertainment? I have a feeling swimming is going to be boring lol.

Are you a swimmer already? Only asking because I'm so concentrated on breathing and technique still (4+ months in) that I wouldn't want anything to distract me.

Top Bottom