• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foamstars releases to negative player reception

DrFigs

Do you think it's weird to "hate" this game for being crappy?
it's not a bad game. unfortunately, it seems no one is actually reviewing it. there are only 2 critic reviews on metacritic, but the previews were generally positive.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nobody is stifling anything. The problem is that these games suck. The Smash Bros. clones that came out were mostly bad. Crash Team Racing was good. That is the difference. Make a game as good as Nintendo makes and you have a much better chance of finding success. Of course making a game as good as Nintendo is really hard to do.

Tell that to the merchants of disinformation trying to hurt Palworld!

Its toxic. Calling it out doesn't reflect badly on Nintendo, who as you correctly point out really don't need the help!

FStubbs

but that's the point, all it took was fake pokemon and social media drumming that up (there are other fake pokemon games that haven't moved the needle), whereas a fake splatoon game is gonna live and die and people are mad now because it's a fake splatoon game apparently.

people just kind of do what the internet tells them to do. Palworld is the greatest example of that we have had in years. Much like buying a metal cup because the internet told everyone they have to do it.
To be fair, what set Palworld apart was the "Pokemon with guns" aspect that went viral.

DrFigs

I think most knew what I meant...

In case anyone else is wondering, the multiplayer game that requires PS Plus to even play this game also includes the game for free.
the game is only on ps plus. there's no option to buy it, at least as of right now.

mcjmetroid

I’m not a Nintendo kid. I have more hair in my ears than on my head.

Foamstars is absolute ass. The movement is shit. The gun play is ok at best. The characters never shut up. It’s awful.
Well if thats the case then fair enough I stand corrected. It does seem like a lot of the reviews mention horrible microtransactions which if it is indeed the case let it rip.

I only read the OP but it turns out not as many user reviews mentioned Splatoon as much as I thought they would.

Funny thing is I think Nintendo fans would review bomb it more if it got more attention like a Palworld etc. This just seems shit and not worth the bother.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Video Games Nintendo GIF

Splatted!

Aaron Olive

Foamstars feels like a unfinished PS2 era game ported 24 years later…

It is utterly insane how you can’t pause this game or skip any or the random nonsense.

Everyone talks with a Logic Pro reverb filter.

Fabieter

Foamstars feels like a unfinished PS2 era game ported 24 years later…

It is utterly insane how you can’t pause this game or skip any or the random nonsense.

Everyone talks with a Logic Pro reverb filter.

Can you elaborate why it feels unfinished to you?

Aaron Olive

Can you elaborate why it feels unfinished to you?
1. Well like I said you can’t pause playing the solo missions.

2. No HDR

3. The character wave missions are boring.

4. Not much enemy variety at all

5. Not much verticality.

6. Very slow base movement.

7. Every character I use I’m retold what button to press like I’m Stupid.

But that’s what I’ve experienced so far without touching versus yet.

The gameplay is so much like something you’d experience back in the PS2 days.

Last edited:

Ribi

Xbox really missing out on this one. Everyone over there would def trade palworlds for *checks notes* ah yes... FOAMSTARS

Fabieter

2. No HDR

5. Not much verticality.

Some of those points are really fishy but everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess.

DrFigs

2. No HDR

5. Not much verticality.

the movement is fine. i have to think people who are complaining about slow movement are just not playing well.

but some of those other points are very valid. the single player stuff is pretty bad. but they didn't have to include those at all. the meat of the game are the multiplayer modes and those are great.

Aaron Olive

the movement is fine. i have to think people who are complaining about slow movement are just not playing well.

but some of those other points are very valid. the single player stuff is pretty bad. but they didn't have to include those at all. the meat of the game are the multiplayer modes and those are great.
I could have fleshed it out more, but once you upgrade the movement speed to 9 it's not bad.

PanzerCute

I think its really funny and quite polished. After a few games you can see the depth and strategic aspects. It feels good to play something that stupid and joyful compared to all the grim multiplayer games around. Oh and its absolutely beautiful on my OLED.

The business model tho is insane, prices are stupid.

I think the game gets a lot of undeserved hate.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
58 on MC across 18 critics.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Foamstars wasn't even the top played PS+ game of the month. It got beaten by last year's Evil West.

Top PS Plus Essential games of 2024 so far​

• #1Evil West (January 2024)
  • #2Foamstars (February 2024)
  • #3Nobody Saves the World (January 2024)
  • #4A Plague Tale: Requiem (January 2024)
  • #5Rollerdrome (February 2024)
  • #6Steelrising (February 2024)

Doom85

Foamstars wasn't even the top played PS+ game of the month. It got beaten by last year's Evil West.

To be fair, I haven’t played Evil West yet, but I heard it was an overlooked gem. It’s not like Foamstars lost to a bad game or a game that had already been played by a ton of people.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I wanted to try it yesterday, but I couldn't find a game on the European servers after 15 minutes. The game went under extremely quickly.

Ozriel

M$FT

Not really what that article says though. Foamstars was the highest played of February, but it brought in less players than Evil West did when it was added in January.

Still a flop if that analysis is true, since a multiplayer shooter game with fairly prominent marketing is undoubtedly expected to bring in more players than an AA single player shooter.

Not sure why Square didn’t try to shoot for a PC/PS5 release. They’ve seemingly shot themselves in the foot

Three

User score is now 7.2. I'm not sure why a thread existed from just 24 user scores but it was obvious the 4.7 wasn't based on nearly enough data to be representative of "negative player reception" overall.

Last edited:

Fabieter

User score is now 7.2. I'm not sure why a thread existed from just 24 user scores but it was obvious the 4.7 wasn't based on nearly enough data to be representative of "negative player reception" overall.

Internet hate/hype can make/break a game no matter the qualities.

ByWatterson

It's funny how Colin Moriarty speculated that Helldivers 2 was being sent out to die - after all, Foamstars was releasing into PS+ at the same time.

Seems to be the exact opposite.

We love Colin, but come on.

Top Bottom