• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foamstars has lost nearly 95% of its player base

I never downloaded it... Too much of a splatoon rip-off, and not enough of a game that oozes longevity. Well, at least, Square tried, I guess.

Last edited:

Nydius

In their wisdom, Square opt to keep a game that thrives on an active online community to just one console.

They deserved the failure.

One console platform.

Fixed that for you. It came out for PS4 and PS5, a total combined install base of around 175 million units. Xbox fans suffer this delusion that SE would somehow be more profitable if they put games on the platform that has less than half the install base of PlayStation, after years of SE watching as their games failed to sell on Xbox platforms. 🙄

Besides, it genuinely wouldn’t have mattered if it launched multiplatform. The game wasn’t good. It was extremely basic, poorly designed, and clearly intended to be a vehicle for overpriced microtransactions. Switch players wouldn’t have picked it over Splatoon and PC would have skewered it for how slow and barebones it was.

Vick

Nick Young Wtf GIF

Never heard of it before this mention.

Who's gay?

Fart Knight Fart Knight

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
One console platform.

Fixed that for you. It came out for PS4 and PS5, a total combined install base of around 175 million units. Xbox fans suffer this delusion that SE would somehow be more profitable if they put games on the platform that has less than half the install base of PlayStation, after years of SE watching as their games failed to sell on Xbox platforms. 🙄

You’re jesting if you think the active Playstation player base is anywhere close to the same as adding lifetime sales of both PS4 and PS5.

after years of SE watching as their games failed to sell on Xbox platforms. 🙄

This was an online multiplayer shooting game, not a single player RPG.

Besides, it genuinely wouldn’t have mattered if it launched multiplatform. The game wasn’t good. It was extremely basic, poorly designed, and clearly intended to be a vehicle for overpriced microtransactions. Switch players wouldn’t have picked it over Splatoon and PC would have skewered it for how slow and barebones it was.

Launching it multiplatform would have given it a MUCH better chance of hitting traction.

Certainly they wouldn’t have tried a Switch release, but even keeping it as a PlayStation exclusive, a PC port should have been made.

It’s clear Sony hoped this would do similar magic as Stray, a game launched into PS+ Extra that drove a lot of subs. The previews were really good

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This game came out?

Did sony forget to market it or something.
Atleast Demolition All Stars actually got some promotion and I knew it was coming out........this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
One console platform.

PC, my dude, the platform where this kind of game thrives the most.

Or even Switch, where a more Splatoon-oriented audience would have lapped this up.

Last edited:
I rarely, if ever play multiplayer games, but I actually tried this game out and I couldn’t even find anyone to play with and that was within the first week.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hope SE keep this exclusive to Playstation so it won't stain any other platforms.

I guess I never understood what exactly possessed Square Enix to think that Playstation owners were all waiting for a Splatoon knockoff

Because they weren't

Also a lot Playstation owners also have a Switch and if they wanted to play Splatoon they would buy Splatoon and play it

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well at least Sony gave a new IP a try. I feel like Microsoft would have tried to buy Splatoon from Nintendo lol.

No idea who the audience was for this. Splatoon without the charm, on a platform with a userbase that doesn't care, all while Helldivers 2 is hype.

No one in God's name asked for a game like this. There is already Splatoon, which is pretty shitty and niche already. The world didn't need a other one.

Phase

As any gamer would've expected. Only the higher-ups thought it'd be a worthy investment as they're too disconnected from the ground level of people playing games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Who would have thought that a GaaS game which ripped of Splatoon BADLY would fail?

99% of us.

How is this news?
I don't really think that was it.

The implementation of a mildly successful concept was the problem.

"What if we made a better Splatoon for PC and Playstation players" isn't unreasonable. It failed because it was really awful to play. I suspect Splatoon feels much better.

StueyDuck

Despite receiving a strong initial burst of PS Plus subscribers when those Foamstars trophies arrived day one on the service back in February 2024, it seems Foamstars' PS Plus player count has seemingly been in freefall ever since. Now, two months later, it seems players have all but abandoned Foamstars for other PS5 multiplayer games with the shooter having lost over 94% of its initial PS Plus player base.

• Foamstars debuted with more players in its first week than Helldivers 2
  • However, Foamstars has since lost over 94% of its PS5 and PS4 player count
  • The Square Enix shooter has since dropped out of our top 200 PlayStation Chart
Using gameplay data from over 3.1 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of our partnership with GameInsights), we had previously reported that Foamstars' initial PS5 and PS4 player count had already began to fall shortly after the game's day-one as one of February 2024's monthly PS Plus games.

But gained everyone's hearts 🤣

It wasn't too bad... it just had an awful single player element, and I don't care much about pvp these days so it was literally a few hours of play for me then zip

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's probably closer to 100%. From the article:

The percentage of this Foamstars player count drop is actually a conservative estimate. As our exclusive data tracks only the top 200 PS5 and PS4 games in any given week, and seeing as Foamstars no longer ranks among the top 200, we have instead had to use the player count data from the 200th most popular PS5 game (CarX Drift Racing Online) to establish a low bar for Foamstars' player count drop.

This means that Foamstars has lost at least 94.92% of its initial PS Plus-enabled player count — a more accurate figure would almost certainly be higher.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's probably closer to 100%. From the article:

The percentage of this Foamstars player count drop is actually a conservative estimate. As our exclusive data tracks only the top 200 PS5 and PS4 games in any given week, and seeing as Foamstars no longer ranks among the top 200, we have instead had to use the player count data from the 200th most popular PS5 game (CarX Drift Racing Online) to establish a low bar for Foamstars' player count drop.

This means that Foamstars has lost at least 94.92% of its initial PS Plus-enabled player count — a more accurate figure would almost certainly be higher.
so 95% is just a safe estimation and it is most likely bigger?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Splatoon has a very distinctive and fresh artstyle from the ground up that is unlike anything else on the market, hard not to respect the devs even if it's not my genre.

This looks generic. Not sure why anyone would pick it over the Splatoon franchise if this kind of game is what you're looking for.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wouldn't players who purchased the game likely stick around longer...making the more accurate figure be lower?

What am I missing?

Top Bottom