• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foo Fighters are back - New album Spring 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoenixDark said:
I still don't get how a band with so much personality, talent, and respect from past legends makes such boring, standard rock music. Foo Fighters are basically high brow Nickleback

wFJ8v.jpg

DrEvil

not a medical professional
PhoenixDark said:
I still don't get how a band with so much personality, talent, and respect from past legends makes such boring, standard rock music. Foo Fighters are basically high brow Nickleback

Get. The. Fuck. out.

chris121580

PhoenixDark said:
Well this couldn't be any more wrong but thanks for playing

PhoenixDark said:

because You Don't Like It, and That's OK

snesfreak

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Now where have I heard that before?

Seagoon

PhoenixDark said:
This sums up how I've felt about the Foo Fighters for a while now - maybe comparing them to Nickelback is a bit too much though. Foo Fighters used to be my favorite band but after the third album I've all but forgotten about them.

I haven't heard the new album but the music video I saw for 'Rope' (I think that was its name) didn't do much to convince me otherwise. It can only be a good thing to have Pat Smear back on deck and I'm quietly hopeful that this album will respark my interest.

Seagoon said:
This sums up how I've felt about the Foo Fighters for a while now - maybe comparing them to Nickelback is a bit too much though. Foo Fighters used to be my favorite band but after the third album I've all but forgotten about them.

I haven't heard the new album but the music video I saw for 'Rope' (I think that was its name) didn't do much to convince me otherwise. It can only be a good thing to have Pat Smear back on deck and I'm quietly hopeful that this album will respark my interest.

I just don't get it. I really liked the Them Crooked Vultures album, for instance, which in many ways felt like a vintage rock album. But most of the new Foo Fighters stuff seems like break neck, derivative and boring riffs and a standard rock radio sound.

I haven't heard the new album, but I've heard the single and a couple songs. I'll give it a spin of course, maybe the single doesn't represent the album or something.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finally heard the whole album this weekend. Yeah still lamenting the fact that it just sounds pretty boring by the numbers standard rock music. I was hoping "Rope" wasn't indicative of the album as a whole as that song has been getting ton of rotation on satellite radio but I usually end up bored by time it finishes. My fears were founded though as the album just sounds zzz.

Don't get me wrong nothing sounds BAD persay just well BORING.

PS: Never thought about the old Foo in this way, but I really like the half Nirvana half Sunny Day idea. Count me in on that! :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay album is growing on me this morning. It's still not great, but I do think it's much better than their last album. Then again I'm not sure that is saying much. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace IMO was a low point for the band.

week 1 I was really into it. On my 3rd or 4th run through, I found myself skipping like 5 or 6 tracks. I've come to realize that I think the album is just OK.

KCHusker33 said:
Back and Forth documentary is up for preorder on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XCUEXY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

July 12th release date.

I already saw it on a Belgian channel (Canvas), early to air on t.v.? Weird, saw it though. Great documentary. Dave is an incredibly charismatic guy.

As for the new album, just listened to it a bit. Can't say I like it.

My hero will probably remain the best song they've ever done. /edit.... or everlong.

AniHawk

it's a consistently fun album to listen to. the only songs with teeth are bridges burning and white limo, everything else is kinda like times like these or learn to fly.

espg had lower lows, but it also had higher highs. come alive was their best song since everlong, and they had some good slower stuff in there too like home and but, honestly (although this ramps up into something awesome). it's a more well-rounded album while wasting light is a more consistent one.

for me, both are an improvement over one by one and in your honor. although i don't actively dislike any foo fighter album, those were my least favorite ones.

Council Bluffs show was absolutely awesome. Motorhead couldn't make it out so the Foo picked up the slack and were on stage for nearly 3 hours! They worked in pretty much every hit song and even threw in covers of Breakdown, School's Out, and Ace of Spades. The song of the night for me though was Walk from the new album.

So tempted to make the trip to KC in August or whenever that show is.

Here's a couple shitty pics I took :)

DSC00850-1.jpg

DSC00846-1.jpg

Mostly accurate set list (from what I recall) quoted from the Foo forums.

Bridges Burning
Rope
The Pretender
My Hero
Learn to Fly
White Limo
Arlandria
School's Out (Alice Cooper Cover)
Cold Day in the Sun
I'll Stick Around
Stacked Actors
A Drum Solo by Taylor
Hey, Johnny Park
Monkey Wrench
Let It Die
Generator
Walk
Ace of Spades (Motorhead cover)
This is a Call
All My Life
Breakout
Long Road to Ruin (Dave solo acoustic)

Encore:
Best of You (Dave solo acoustic)
Times Like These
Young Man Blues (The Who cover)
Miss the Misery
For All the Cows
Everlong
Skin and Bones

They also covered Tom Petty's Breakdown.

Ah, well there is a pretty good comment in there about their videos. Grohl said they take their music very seriously but music videos are commercials and they enjoy making fun of the process. They have fun doing goofy videos and they view it as a trademark of the band.

Enron

Banned
The song they did with Bob Mould is awesome. I need to buy this album. MPR has been playing the shit out of it.

lol hilarious that the new foo fighters record is considered "generic rock". they are a rock band. verse chorus verse. the album is awesome. this is what i love about the foos is that they know who they are as a band and they dont try to be other bands, they are the foo fighters and always will be.

if you want something more progressive go check out the mars volta. its like going into in-n-out and saying "gee in-n-out is kinda boring, just burgers? why can't i get spaghetti here?"

snesfreak

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol hilarious that the new foo fighters record is considered "generic rock". they are a rock band. verse chorus verse. the album is awesome. this is what i love about the foos is that they know who they are as a band and they dont try to be other bands, they are the foo fighters and always will be.
"High-brow Nickelback"
bigme110.gif

FrenchMovieTheme said:

if you want something more progressive go check out the mars volta. its like going into in-n-out and saying "gee in-n-out is kinda boring, just burgers? why can't i get spaghetti here?"

I think it's fair to say that someone feels this album is not as good as their other work and can be considered more 'generic'... than usual. Certainly they always belonged to a certain accessible form of hard-rock, but they managed to deviate or differentiate in truly spectacular ways from that back in the day.

Truant

shantyman said:
Seriously, if you don't like Foo Fighters you suck.

I like the band, but not the music. Seems like a bunch of nice guys, love watching documentaries about them, reading "in the studio" articles and whatnot, but the music just isn't that interesting to me.

I love how they recorded their latest. Pretty ballsy of them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Foo Fighters will be performing on this Itunes music festival in an hour or so (I think, they start at 8 pm in England). It's on the Itunes Store front page.

Jimmy Eat World is performing right now.

Lonestar

still going for me, but it was wonky on Jimmy Eat World.

Still love the extra bit they play at the end of Rope, live. Wish that was on the record.

Lonestar

ahahaha, just one LOOOONG bleep, as Dave Grohl just throws out some douche that was fighting in the crowd

Angry Fork

PhoenixDark said:
I don't know much about rock music but this made me laugh so much because I know nickleback is hated by everyone and I knew GAF would flip out. I like about 10 Foo Fighters tracks but I don't know enough about rock to say whether it's because they're objectively good or whether I'm just ignorant. I don't remember any nickleback songs though I should youtube some though to see why people dislike them.
KCHusker33 said:
This got me good I love these, I hope people find more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom