• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foo Fighters are back - New album Spring 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Fuuuuck not finished

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

CaptYamato said:
those people are at a Foo Fighters concert for free...
No shit. Watching that documentary makes me totally jealous of the people who got into those small club gigs. Anybody know if they're going to add more US dates to the tour? As it is, I'm considering a six hour drive to get to one of them...

Lonestar

hahaha

They've got too many songs to go through.

3 hour concerts!

They're in Gulf Shores, but as part of a large festival, and not gonna pay that much just for 1 group on 1 day. They're at Memphis, so maybe that'll be when I go. Or wait to see what they'll post after the world tour dates.

If you've ever been to a show, you look at your watch at some point and realize that 3 hours have gone by and they've played 20 songs. You're tired as shit, and you wonder how these guys who are older than you can pull that off every couple of nights.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Big Rig said:
If you've ever been to a show, you look at your watch at some point and realize that 3 hours have gone by and they've played 20 songs. You're tired as shit, and you wonder how these guys who are older than you can pull that off every couple of nights.

Well, they're going to collect $50,000 at the end of every night...and you go home to jerk off in a napkin. :p

TeegsD

Guys I've listened to this thing 4 times through consecutively. Am I the only one that gets goosebumps when the chorus starts back up again after the yelling at the end. I love this song, I love this album. I must learn the guitar parts over the summer. Which mean I'm finally gotta learn guitar. Plus I still need to learn everlong.

mcawesome

Neo Member
Gone through the album a few times, and watched the documentary tonight. This album is easily the Foo Fighters album since Colour and the Shape. I think having Pat Smear back gave them something that was missing since then. For anyone that has not seen it yet the documentary is great definitely worth seeing if you have followed the band. I would have liked it though if they had made it longer and more in depth.

I am not throwing out a rating yet, I have only listened to the album about 2.5 times. I want to get like 1 more full play through of the CD before I really cement my opinion on the album.

But what I came to really post about; this album seems like it is a lot of looking back at the past, thinking about growing older and wiser, yet they feel like they still have a lot of life left and a lot to learn. A somewhat more introspective album.

I am going to hop onto the Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace fan-wagon. I have been a fan of that album even though how different it was when it released. Almost a little lighter, listenable all the way through, but still the classic foo fighter vibe... even in songs like "Cheer Up Boys". "But Honestly" probably turned out being my favorite song on the album. A very slow and mellow tone at the beginning of the song, only to give the song another 2.5 or so minutes until it eventually works its way up until 3:11 where the song really takes off. I want to say it was almost like the pay off for those who were patient with the song and just didn't hit next. I actually even like the slower part of that song better as well!

Lonestar

I've liked all the albums.

I'd say I liked "One by One" a little bit more overall than "In Your Honor". Think there are still a few songs on that one that I've never listened the whole way through.

AniHawk

man, you haven't heard bridges burning until you've heard it while speeding down a california freeway and just blasting it with the windows down.

AniHawk said:
man, you haven't heard bridges burning until you've heard it while speeding down a california freeway and just blasting it with the windows down.

Which is what I did yesterday. The Album is probably their best since Colour and Shape. Really like Arlandria, something about Dave's voice during the song really make me want to just cruse down the road.

AniHawk said:

Lots of good driving songs on there actually. White Limo works pretty damn well at 3am when traffic is nonexistent on the 10

After listening to the album several times over the last couple of days and revisiting all of the older stuff I'm pulling back a bit from my initial thoughts of it being the best album since The Colour & Shape (although I'm not sure that one is even my favorite). It's a damn fine album though and it's worthy of praise and a great addition to an already amazing catalog. Walk has now become my favorite song on the album though.

So, er, reviews are out. Why do places like Pitchfork actually bother reviewing albums like these? It's obviously not their kind of music. Pitchfork's review sends half the article talking about the band's history and the documentary, and DrownedInSound's is borderline ignorant, talking about crap like 'templates' and more of the same. I'm not going to speak hyperbole, but this album is pretty damn different to the last 3, the differences are plain to see. So many 'credible' music sites have blatantly only been following the Foos due to the Nirvana connection for years and I wish it wouldn't be so obvious in the reviews.

They simply shouldn't review it. They certainly don't bother with most rock records, why make an exception just because it's Dave Grohl?

-Eddman-

Green Scar said:
So, er, reviews are out. Why do places like Pitchfork actually bother reviewing albums like these? It's obviously not their kind of music. Pitchfork's review sends half the article talking about the band's history and the documentary, and DrownedInSound's is borderline ignorant, talking about crap like 'templates' and more of the same. I'm not going to speak hyperbole, but this album is pretty damn different to the last 3, the differences are plain to see. So many 'credible' music sites have blatantly only been following the Foos due to the Nirvana connection for years and I wish it wouldn't be so obvious in the reviews.

They simply shouldn't review it. They certainly don't bother with most rock records, why make an exception just because it's Dave Grohl?

Well, all their reviews and opinions are a cartoonish template, at least for me anyway. And they review it because they at least acknowledge that this album is important in the minds of music listeners, probably the biggest release of the month. But the people who can't get over the fact thet Dave is way much more that the "former Nirvana guy" after all these years are just pathetic.

I still say that this album is their best along with Colour and the shape and There is nothing left to lose (all tied for me).

Green Scar said:

It's mostly just tiring as hell that every Foo Fighters review has to start with some rambling Nirvana history lesson.

The Foo Fighters have been their own band for 16+ years. Let the Nirvana shit go.

While they're at it, it would be cool if every reviewer stopped assuming every song Grohl writes is about Kurt Cobain. Argh.

Green Scar said:

Because it's Dave Grohl.

#1 in the US as well as 11 other countries. Sounds like the album is doing great.

http://www.foofighters.com/us/news/foos-are-1

FOO FIGHTERS: WASTING LIGHT DEBUTS AT #1 IN TWELVE COUNTRIES
235,000 Sold Domestically First Week As Seventh Album Becomes First FF Album To Debut #1 U.S.

Foo Fighters' seventh album has become its first to hit #1 in the band's native U.S., selling 235,000 in the week since its April 12 release via Roswell/RCA--more than double the week's #2 seller (Adele) and more than the combined sales of the three other Top 5 debuts (Alison Krauss, Paul Simon, Mana).

Wasting Light debuts at #1 in eleven other countries--including the UK where it ends Adele's 11-week run atop the albums chart, and Australia and New Zealand where it has had the biggest first week digital album sales in both country's chart histories.

Wasting Light's twelve #1 chart entries double the six international #1s scored by its predecessor Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace in 2007. In addition to becoming Foo Fighters' first #1 album in their native U.S., Wasting Light has debuted at #1 in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Singapore.

In addition to the stellar sales story, Wasting Light has generated some of the most positive critical notices of Foo Fighters' 16- year career. In a four star Rolling Stone lead review, David Fricke called Wasting Light "the best Foos album since the first two," while Us Weekly hailed the album as proof that "rock is not dead," while People's four star lead review lauded the Foos' "undiminished intensity," and Entertainment Weekly awarded it an A- summing up "Here's the miracle, though: Foo Fighters never feel like a backward-looking band. Light is a muscular rock & roll throwdown, featuring the Foos delivering exactly the kind of catchy, pummeling anthems they're known for, with total disregard for the whims of the masses."

Foo Fighters are currently in the midst of a whirlwind tour that has seen the theatrical and televised premiere of their documentary, Foo Fighters: Back and Forth, and that will take them from the garages of contest-winning fans to the headline slots of virtually every major summer music festival the world over--and will include a sold out 130,000 capacity July 2-3 headline engagement at Milton Keynes Bowl as well as a string of midwestern U.S. arena headlining gigs.

Lonestar

The Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners was totally about that one time Kurt was trapped in a Mine.

A Mine of Personal Anquish!

I still don't get how a band with so much personality, talent, and respect from past legends makes such boring, standard rock music. Foo Fighters are basically high brow Nickleback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom