• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever the FDA is recommending a daily cap on sugar. <50g a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niftyartwork

Neo Member
Last week I watched a documentary called That Sugar Film. It looks at the effects of 40 teaspoons of sugar in your diet. Its very informative.
(How many grams is 40 teaspoons?)

https://youtu.be/6uaWekLrilY

The premise of That Sugar Film, Gameau’s debut as a feature film-maker and documentarian, rests on a decision three years ago to eliminate refined sugar from his diet. This means the slate was clean to test what would happen if he returned to the sweet stuff. In short: aforementioned liver disease, 10cm of visceral fat around his waist, mood swings and (according to doctors) early signs of what could lead to coronary problems.

The twist is that Gameau didn’t splurge on sloppy nosh such as cheeseburgers, chips and sundaes – in other words food everybody knows is bad for you. Gameau consumed the typical Australian’s 40 teaspoons of sugar a day, maintained exercise, the same kilojoule intake of his regular diet and – the clincher – only ate foods perceived to be healthy. This includes cereal, smoothies, muesli bars and low-fat yoghurt. The kind of products at the heart of advertising campaigns built on extolling their supposed virtues, using faux science and deceptive packaging

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ys-eating-health-food-led-fatty-liver-disease

Lkr

Whole fruit is fine.

This fruit hatred is something I'll never understand. The obesity crisis isn't because of increased fruit consumption.

Fruit juice I get.

Fruit juice is literally just sugar water, if anyone in hear drinks juice, toss that shit. get some real fucking fruit and eat that, at least it has fiber in it

Dennis

Banned

Natural lyfe

Look at that sack of poison. Delicious, delicious poison.

Kenstar

Oh well go the disingenuous and ignorant route then. Its clear you have no interest in (possibly) furthering your understanding of food and how it affects us.

I've stated nothing wrong here
Sugar in large amounts isn't good for you
It's not poison

Anyone calling it 'poison' is the one not interested in (possibly) furthering their understanding of food and how it affects us

I've stated nothing wrong here
Sugar in large amounts isn't good for you
It's not poison

Anyone calling it 'poison' is the one not interested in (possibly) furthering their understanding of food and how it affects us

I hope you realize that last paragraph doesn't make sense but i don't think you do.

There's no better thing than people who have pride in not knowing and better yet not looking to know some things. It's wonderful.

I started reducing my added sugar intake earlier this year, targeting 40 g per day. So this recommendation is great, I get another 10 g to eat each day. That's like a bite size piece of chocolate, lol.

It was rough initially, like the first month, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. The biggest thing was cutting out soda and going to flavored coffees, that was the biggest source of sugar day to day. I don't eat candy regularly (leftover Halloween candy being a current anomaly) so after the sugary drinks were gotten rid of, it was a matter of paying attention to my snacks. It turns out that pretty much all pre-packaged foods and fast foods have a bunch of sugar in them so you have to get used to reading labels and keeping track of what you eat.

Cut that stuff out and cook your own food and you can keep it pretty low in sugar (and salt and fat). I find it hard to always cook my own food though and I let myself indulge now and then. So the occasional fast food or candy bar can push me over the limit easily in a day. A strange result from all this is that I've become addicted to hot sauce on everything I eat.

I think the hard thing for most people is that if you eat a lot of pre-packaged foods, whether it's fast food or a can of soup or something, you're eating a lot of added sugars without realizing it. So even cutting out soft drinks, which are likely the biggest source for most people, won't help that much.

bundaberg

Banned
There goes my Friday night chocolate binge.

I'm almost perfect weight and of average fitness but I do worry about die-a-beetus.

Kenstar

I hope you realize that last paragraph doesn't make sense but i don't think you do.

There's no better thing than people who have pride in not knowing and better yet not looking to know some things. It's wonderful.

You're right, nothing better than people who think they know what you're saying without actually reading it ;)

despire

Yep, true. I'm in my late 30s, lift heavier then 99% of people at my gym, never been healthier and leaner in my life. Strait up, eff carbs.

Yeah but you've lost a shit ton of weight and added lean mass so of course you are feeling better. You can't attribute it to just being low carb as there are other factors involved.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but you've lost a shit ton of weight and added lean mass so of course you are feeling better. You can't attribute it to just being low carb as there are other factors involved.

The dramatically increased muscle mass can't be attributed just to low carb, he had to work for that, of course. The weight loss and overall sense of feeling better? Sure it can. Maybe not to the same degree if he didn't combine it with weight training, but certainly to a good extent.

I've read a great many sources re: the supposedly harmful nature of carbohydrates, and they're always unsatisfactory, narrow in scope, and ignored the many beneficial micronutrients, minerals, and phytochemicals that exist pretty much exclusively in carbohydrate food sources and which are almost certainly a part of optimum human health, given they were almost certainly a part of the human diet in the environment of adaptation.

I think I won't bother then. What kind of micronutrients, minerals, and phytochemicals that are part of "optimum human health" and only exist in carbohydrate foods are you talking about, by the way? I'd be interested in learning.

Not to mention that BEING active, in a variety of ways, for which carbohydrates can certainly be beneficial, can also confer many health benefits.

You can be plenty active without carbs. Some people find that they do better, especially at certain types of exercise. Where carbs (or glycogen) really excel is quick explosive movements.

Are they strictly "necessary"? No,

No, and they are also the only macronutrient that is not necessary and also the only macronutrient that so strongly disrupts homeostasis upon ingestion.

Will some people be more harmed by them than others? Absolutely, and as nutrigenomics develops as a field, people will receive customized dietary recommendations that tell them about how many of what macronutrients they can safely "handle" based on their genetic predispositions and environmental reality

I do agree that genetics probably play a large role.

despire

The dramatically increased muscle mass can't be attributed just to low carb, he had to work for that, of course. The weight loss and overall sense of feeling better? Sure it can. Maybe not to the same degree if he didn't combine it with weight training, but certainly to a good extent.

The weight loss can be attributed to being in a caloric deficir for months. He could've done that with any diet. The sense of well being comes mostly from losing weight and thus becoming healthier. He could just as well feel as good or even better by eating carbs. But we don't know that because he's been low carbing this whole time.

Also after reading ILB's updates in the Fitness thread these couple months, I don't think his diet is even relatively healthy or doing him any favors anymore. He should start adding carbs and reverse diet. It's gone too far.

Lamel

Banned
The F.D.A. has said it wants to change the labels to help consumers distinguish between the amount of naturally occurring sugar and the amount of added sugar.

But...

Isn't sugar sugar? I mean, a calorie is a calorie, right?

Fructose is metabolized differently than glucose, and can bypass the body's regulatory mechanisms. It can more easily be put towards fatty acid metabolism.

So thermodynamically, yes a calorie is a calorie. What happens with that energy though can be different depending on metabolism of a specific molecule.

I think I won't bother then. What kind of micronutrients, minerals, and phytochemicals that are part of "optimum human health" and only exist in carbohydrate foods are you talking about, by the way? I'd be interested in learning.

I shouldn't have said "exclusive", for the reality is that few things in nature are so bounded (though phytochemicals, by definition, exist only in plants.) Anyway, to quote from an essay by a friend who is far more nutrition-literate than I:

These are a broad category of phytochemicals that include things like carotenoids, phytoestrogens, glucosinolates, growth factors, tocopherols, catechins, cholesterol, a food&#8217;s bacterial community, and likely thousands of compounds that can&#8217;t even be named, much less put on a nutrition label today. (Note the important qualifier.)

Not to mention thatNow, obviously, not ALL of these things are specific to plants, in the broad sense, but plants will generally have specific forms of these chemicals, specific forms that our bodies may or may not be able to use in specific ways. Unfortunately, it's difficult to say what is and is not important, and in what ways, for many of these chemicals are only beginning to be studied, and as I'm sure you're aware, nutrition is notoriously difficult to study because biological systems are so complex and varied. However, when I took a course on the biology of nutrition just earlier this year, the author posited that it may be the case that many of these chemicals improve health by initiating hormetic processes; that is, they stress the parts of the body they come in contact with ever so slightly, and the work the body has to do to reestablish homeostasis may actually make it stronger, not only because it will be "trained" to respond more quickly to future stressors but because it may actually "trick" the body into fixing lower-level damage that did not trigger a homeostatic response, thus allowing it to respond with more of its resources to larger-scale damage in the future. That's just one hypothesis, and the likelihood is that they all (and the ones we don't even know about yet) function in a variety ways. As I've studied biology, the one thing I've noticed is that the complexity grows and grows the deeper you pick, and you actually don't have to paddle that far before you run aground of some topic on which we are currently ignorant.

All this is not to mention that plants are typically some of the best sources of antioxidants that combat the damage done by free radicals in the body, the fact that we are only beginning to understand the normal microbiota of the human body (and the GI flora definitely appreciate the tract being kept "clean" by the insoluble fiber found in carbohydrate food sources, for one example), the soil plants are grown in typically contains a variety of minerals and mineral salts, including minerals we may only be beginning to recognize as important (like silicon and copper), many vitamins that are most efficiently ingested through plant sources (like many of the B vitamins, Vitamin C, etc.) are also most efficiently absorbed in that form (and often increase the absorption of other vitamins and minerals; calcium is absorbed better when ingested with Vitamin C, for example).

In short, the research is still scanty, in some respects, but it does seem to portend that plants really do have a potentially valuable role to play, even aside from their tasting good, giving diets more variety and enjoyability, serving as a great vehicle for delivering other nutritious food, being a good way to fuel exercise, etc.. A diet balanced among the various macronutrients, and with much variety within them, does the best job of embracing that complexity by exposing one to a wide variety of nutrients in a wide variety of contexts while simultaneously guarding against known and unknown ill effects of over- and/or underemphasizing certain nutrients at the expense of others.

In general, though, if you find something that works for you and makes you feel good, I say embrace it. Simply taking charge of one's own health is likely more important than the specific way in which you micromanage it, imo.

Edit: Also, I say all this as someone who is a hypocrite, in that he knows how he SHOULD eat but doesn't, mostly out of laziness and inertia.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The weight loss can be attributed to being in a caloric deficir for months. He could've done that with any diet. The sense of well being comes mostly from losing weight and thus becoming healthier. He could just as well feel as good or even better by eating carbs. But we don't know that because he's been low carbing this whole time.

Also after reading ILB's updates in the Fitness thread these couple months, I don't think his diet is even relatively healthy or doing him any favors anymore. He should start adding carbs and reverse diet. It's gone too far.

Yeah, man... dropping body fat and gaining muscle and strength while feeling healthy and not seeing energy levels drop. He'd better stop that nonsense immediately!

despire

Sorry for the sarcasm, then. What were you talking about?

Have you read his posts in the fitness thread? He is achy, can't sleep, doesn't have an appetite anymore while eating 1100kcal etc..

Obviously overtrained and having physical issues because he's working out so hard but at the same time being so hard on himself nutritionally. What I would do if I were him, would be reverse dieting for a while to increase his metabolism and give his body time to recover. Take a break from lifting for a week or so. Try lowering his fat intake and increasing carbs on the reverse diet and then see how he feels on a more normal diet. He's active so he should be able to handle carbs ok. Doesn't hurt to try.

ILoveBish

Have you read his posts in the fitness thread? He is achy, can't sleep, doesn't have an appetite anymore while eating 1100kcal etc..

Obviously overtrained and having physical issues because he's working out so hard but at the same time being so hard on himself nutritionally. What I would do if I were him, would be reverse dieting for a while to increase his metabolism and give his body time to recover. Take a break from lifting for a week or so. Try lowering his fat intake and increasing carbs on the reverse diet and then see how he feels on a more normal diet. He's active so he should be able to handle carbs ok. Doesn't hurt to try.

I'm only tired and achy right now due to lack of sleep this week. When I get my 8 hours, I'm fine, even at such a low calorie level. And when you stop eating carbs, your hunger dies with it. It's a chore to eat, especially since I do IF. But as zefah said, my results speak for themselves. I'm still lifting heavy. Still in the best shape of my life, and still have feeling terrific. I just need to get more sleep. Seriously busy week.

I will soon start a recomp protocol, but will remain keto for it. I'm having cheat meals here and there due to dating right now, and it's really helped me realize I don't miss carbs even on the slightest.

Pila

First you get the sugar. Then you get the power. Then you get the women.

Clicked the thread just to read this. ^^

I don't drink soda and I like my coffee sugarfree, so yay. I do have a sweet breakfast where sugar is involved but hey, you gotta live a little.

Removing sugar from your diet if you avoid processed foods, snacking and of course soda (death in liquid form). Its tough to break habits but it can be done especially if you learn to cook for yourself. Should probably aim for less than 20g a day but 50g is still a big improvement over what the average westerner probably takes in.

So what about my plain natural Greek yoghurt GAF? that shit has a lot of sugars in it.

Cannon makes a triple zero yogurt with significantly less sugar and a lot of protein and fiber. Its good stuff I would recommend it over regular high sugar yogurt.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Who gives a shit if "poison" is an accurate descriptor of sugar or not? We consume too damn much of it. Full stop. End of discussion.

There's no damn reason to consume 50g a day outside of "it tastes good." There's no good reason to masturbate in public outside of "it feels good."

I'll throw the sugar defense force a bone and say that it's fine in moderation but, frankly, I see no good reason for it to exist in our diet outside of fruits and stuff.

McLovin

For keto I keep my carbs at around 20 carbs all the time. I was only supposed to do it in the beginning and move it up to 50 later but I actually like keeping it low. It took a month of intense sugar/carb eating dreams, cravings, and strange hunger even after eating until full to get over sugar. It was a whole freaking month of withdrawal and after that I completely lost interest in sweets. Even if I use a cheat meal for something sweet(I cheat 1 time a month) I don't even have that much. Bread, icecream, rice, candy, juice, soda... these things do nothing for me anymore. Thinking back on it I almost can't believe how addictive all that stuff is.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
For keto I keep my carbs at around 20 carbs all the time. I was only supposed to do it in the beginning and move it up to 50 later but I actually like keeping it low. It took a month of intense sugar/carb eating dreams, cravings, and strange hunger even after eating until full to get over sugar. It was a whole freaking month of withdrawal and after that I completely lost interest in sweets.

DON'T QUIT

I lost about 20 pounds and felt like a whole different person a couple years ago when I really started cutting out sweets. I'd eat fruit but I'd still try to watch my portions. Eventually the cravings went away.

Fast forward to today and I weigh more than I did before I cut the carbs before. I got back on the occasional pop wagon and eventually started justifying more and more sugar. Now my appetite is a beast to control and I feel like dog shit regularly. Not all the fault of the sugar, but I'd be a hell of a lot better off without it.

Fruit is not included. However, fruit juice is absolutely included.
Vegetables are not included. Vegetable-flavored things are absolutely included.

I'm curious about Honey, though. That seems pretty all-natural to me.

A lot of supermarket honey is just corn syrup with additives that make it look like honey. Granted, I'd still not eat a lot of genuine honey :p

I switched over to drinking water a couple of years ago.

But sometimes, sitting in the sun, drinking a cold bottle of coke is the best thing in the world...

Just do things in moderation and your body will thank you..

Skyzard

Banned
Is that really your entire diet?

You say that like I'm not also taking vitamins or missing out or something...

I'm good with steak too, sometimes a burger but usually it's fish or eggs.

I tend to stick to the same thing for ages, but lots of different fish. Mostly salmon.

Damn, that is tough. A small size carmael brulee latte at starbucks has 53g sugar. Even a regular no sugar syrups small latte is 18g of sugar.

I eat somewhat healthy, and am in fairly good shape and exercise regularly. But adding up sugar calories I probably have about 75-100g of sugar a day and that's with having already cut out soda.

Used to drink a regular coke with lunch and then a flavored latte in the afternoon every day and right there that's almost 100g. Add in fruits and food throughout the day + sauces and stuff, and it's probably 125-150g of sugar/day. Yikes.

I'll never understand how anyone can even drink a flavoured Starbucks drink without asking for way less sugar. I tried a pumpkin spice latte once and they told me they put in THREE full pumps of sugar into that thing in a regular (tall) size. Shit is straight up disgusting. Even at 1 pump it feels like too much and I question why anyone even drinks coffee/lattes/espresso at that point when all you taste is pretty much the sugar and the artificial flavouring.

Serious question, where is the source for this information? The NY Times post doesn't mention an actual source at all. Other websites I have looked at just cite the NY Times article. Hell, this isn't even the NY Times really, it's a blog hosted on the NY Times.

I mean, I completely agree that there needs to be a recommended limit on daily added sugar intake, but I want to read the actual FDA report/announcement, not a blog from the NY Times with no source.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Serious question, where is the source for this information? The NY Times post doesn't mention an actual source at all. Other websites I have looked at just cite the NY Times article. Hell, this isn't even the NY Times really, it's a blog hosted on the NY Times.

I mean, I completely agree that there needs to be a recommended limit on daily added sugar intake, but I want to read the actual FDA report/announcement, not a blog from the NY Times with no source.

http://mashable.com/2015/11/11/fda-proposal-sugar-intake/#TwPAfGPbd8qi

StoneFox

I'm down to about two cans of soda a week, I believe that was my main source of sugar so I think I'm mostly in the clear with this cap. :)

I'm eating some pringles right now and looked at the info, it has 1 g of sugar per serving which is about 28 g or 15 chips. 49 grams to spare for lunch in a few hours. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom