• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever the FDA is recommending a daily cap on sugar. <50g a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
& think of soda like this
mtdew.jpg

colas.jpg

Yeah, I'll definitely never switch back to drinking pop.

Nowy

People who are saying high fructose corn syrup is the problem are correct but for the wrong reasons. There is no metabolic difference between corn syrup and regular old beet sugar/sugar cane (sucrose). They are both equally unhealthy for you. Corn syrup is a 55:45 ratio of fructose to glucose where sucrose is a 50:50 ratio. The biggest difference is that the sugars in corn syrup are free floating where the sugars in sucrose are covalently bonded. But the instant sucrose touched your digestive system, an enzyme called Sucrase cuts the bond and the sugars are free floating. There is no difference, we just need to stop eating so much sugar.

Sulik2

Just ban high fructose corn syrup in the food supply and the amount of sugar in all our foods will drop precipitously.

Over the course of a year, doing absolutely nothing except cutting soda and junk snacks from my diet, that I've gone from a size 52 pants to a size 46.

I can't even drink soda anymore. It's far too sweet, almost like drinking ice cream or something. I used to eat half a package of cookies a day and a bottle of soda. Not any more.

Sonicbug

Okay, so my honest tea sitting here has 26g of cane sugar but 100 calories. That's still 26g. That's more than half their daily recommendation.

You know what? I'll just be the hummingbird I am, thanks FDA.

Ray Wonder

Daily wise? It absolutely is.

I'm curious to hear what your daily diet consists of if 50g is a fuckton of sugar.

for sure, its an easy aisle to avoid in the grocery, along with the snack aisle. haven't been down those in over a decade.

I still visit the snack aisle for watching sports, but yeah, the soda just makes my stomach turn nowadays. Feels like I'm drinking syrup.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's not difficult to avoid stupid amounts of sugar on your diet.

Don't eat candy.
Don't drink soda.
Don't indulge in processed foods, or at least take five seconds to look at the labels.

Seriously, it's not that hard unless you are monumentally lazy.

I'm curious to hear what your daily diet consists of if 50g is a fuckton of sugar..
I'm curious to hear how in the blue hell can you fit 50 grams of sugar in the daily diet of the average adult and not fuck up his body in the long term.

Most adults who eat a rather standard three to four normal meals per day and don't partake in significant amounts of exercise are putting themselves at risk by eating that much sugar on a daily basis. This is specially true if you take into consideration factors such as gender, age and the fact that most adults are not even keeping a proper, healthy diet to begin with.

The F.D.A. has said it wants to change the labels to help consumers distinguish between the amount of naturally occurring sugar and the amount of added sugar.

But...

Isn't sugar sugar? I mean, a calorie is a calorie, right?
Nope. Fruit's full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You'll get yourself full before you can eat too much of it. However, added refined sugar goes in and makes you crave more right away. Naturally occurring sugar in the right food sources is solid.

RedSparc

Banned
It has to count right? If I ate 10 oranges a day that would be awful for me. lol

It doesn't, sugar from fruit and vegtables is not what this is about, it's about added sugar to things like ketchup, bbq sauces, cereal, salad dressings, chips, soda, juices (generally ones made from a low percentage of real juice).

I cut out added sugar a long time ago. It's in alot of processed foods that people just are not aware of.

Honestly I would worry more about having abdominal cramps and the shits by eating that many oranges. The fiber you consume when eating fruit regulates the sugar consumed by the body. You get way too many other benifical nutrients from fruit to exclude them because of their sugars.

Ray Wonder

Don't eat candy.
Don't drink soda.
Don't indulge in processed foods, or at least take five seconds to look at the labels.

It's not hard to stay under 50g, and I never said it was. It's just not some astounding amount of sugar like you made it out to be.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's not hard to stay under 50g, and I never said it was. It's just not some astounding amount of sugar like you made it out to be.

Semantics.

It is an absurdly unhealthy amount of sugar to ingest.

It is very easy to ingest that much sugar if you eat like shit, like many adults do.

RedSparc

Banned

Don't eat candy.
Don't drink soda.

Don't be naïve, alot of people eat those things because they are often the cheapest sources for calories. The federal min wage in the US is 7.25/hr which makes avoiding cheap corn sugars very very difficult when you don't have the means or know how to avoid them.

Addiction to sugar is no joking matter, it's as unhealthy for a human as anything, and very difficult to break.

On my normal days I get About 30 to 50. On my cheat days I have dr pepper so it goes up to 120 grams.

I use to drink dr pepper all day every day...

despire

People who are saying high fructose corn syrup is the problem are correct but for the wrong reasons. There is no metabolic difference between corn syrup and regular old beet sugar/sugar cane (sucrose). They are both equally unhealthy for you. Corn syrup is a 55:45 ratio of fructose to glucose where sucrose is a 50:50 ratio. The biggest difference is that the sugars in corn syrup are free floating where the sugars in sucrose are covalently bonded. But the instant sucrose touched your digestive system, an enzyme called Sucrase cuts the bond and the sugars are free floating. There is no difference, we just need to stop eating so much sugar.

This man knows what's up.

Kenstar

It is for all the special snowflakes who literally never drink soda because it taste like POISON and should be banned and giving it to your child more than once a month grounds for incarceration

Ray Wonder

Semantics.

It is an absurdly unhealthy amount of sugar to ingest.

It is very easy to ingest that much sugar if you eat like shit, like many adults do.

Lol you were mighty adamant on getting it in my head with your first reply saying "Daily wise. It absolutely is" Seems less like semantics and more like you're just wrong.

I'm just gonna throw out a super easy way to hit 50g without being monumentally lazy or eating like shit.

Breakfast
Apple: 23g
Walnuts:1g

Snack
2 coffees with 1 tsps sugar: 8g

Lunch
small orange: 13g
tuna sandwich: 4g

Dinner

Garden salad with grilled chicken: 8g
light italian dressing: 2g

Total sugar: 59 grams.

And that's with having like the most healthy dinner imaginable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Don't be naïve, alot of people eat those things because they are often the cheapest sources for calories. The federal min wage in the US is 7.25/hr which makes avoiding cheap corn sugars very very difficult when you don't have the means or know how to avoid them.

Well, going for cheaper foods makes more difficult to avoid garbage like HFCS, but that doesn't mean you are only left with Protein Cheerios.

Legumes are dirty cheap and easy to cook. Frozen vegetables can easily substitute fresh ones. Chicken is also very affordable. There's just a HUGE problem in the western world when it comes to food and education. Fast food being so readily available exacerbates it and makes poor people more at risk.

I don't spend more that 30 minutes per day in the kitchen and I cook most of my meals daily. All my meals are low on carbs, filling and very, very cheap. I also cook huge batches on the weekends (and they very rarely take more than a couple of hours) so I can keep a significant number of rations in the freezer for those days when I can't cook because of work. While I'm sure that some people don't even have the time for that, I belive the average citizen could greatly improve their health following some very basic guidelines.

Ray Wonder

Well, going for cheaper foods makes more difficult to avoid garbage like HFCS, but that doesn't mean you are only left with Protein Cheerios.

Legumes are dirty cheap and easy to cook. Frozen vegetables can easily substitute fresh ones. Chicken is also very affordable. There's just a HUGE problem in the western world when it comes to food and education. Fast food being so readily available exacerbates it and makes poor people more at risk.

I don't spend more that 30 minutes per day in the kitchen and I cook most of my meals daily. All my meals are low on carbs, filling and very, very cheap. I also cook huge batches on the weekends (and they very rarely take more than a couple of hours) so I can keep a significant number of rations in the freezer for those days when I can't cook because of work. While I'm sure that some people don't even have the time for that, I belive the average citizen could greatly improve their health following some very basic guidelines.

You're just super healthy, dude. That's a good thing.

Ray Wonder

Pretty sure the FDA is talking about added sugars only. Fruit isn't too bad because of all the fiber, water, vitamins

Well if it's not then yeah, it's pretty easy, but if it is then It's difficult.

I'm talking generally though because funky didn't specify, he just wanted 50g sugar.

50G is half a pint of Ben & Jerrys, thats how I think of it

that's a lot of sweet ice cream

Yeah, you can have some sweet delicious treats and stay well under 50g of sugar. The people that may have a problem with this are those that are eating sugary stuff all day long

Azih

Ray Wonder: That apple has a lot of fiber in it which helps counteract the problem, but yeah, the point is that we are surrounded by processed food with sugar added.

Pete Rock

Looking at my macros, I consume 25g in sugars from legumes, nuts, veggies.

But I also consume 60g on top of that from two glasses of whole milk. So maybe I should cut the milk out. I've been considering that anyways.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well if it's not then yeah, it's pretty easy, but if it is then It's difficult.

I'm talking generally though because funky didn't specify, he just wanted 50g sugar.

Come on now. I didn't need to specify because I'm talking about the topic itself. This thread and the link at the top of it already make clear that sugar from fruits doesn't have the same effect as other forms of sugar.

Also, why I follow a healthy diet, I'm not doing anything particularly remarkable regarding food. I just avoid refined sugars and substituted cheap processed food for cheap unprocessed one that is easy to cook and readily available. Isn't that what we should be aiming for?

Ray Wonder

Come on now. I didn't need to specify because I'm talking about the topic itself. This thread and the link at the top of it already make clear that sugar from fruits doesn't have the same effect as other forms of sugar.

Also, why I follow a healthy diet, I'm not doing anything particularly remarkable regarding food. I just avoid refined sugars and substituted cheap processed food for cheap unprocessed one that is easy to cook and readily available. Isn't that what we should be aiming for?

I don't know how to distinguish which ones count and which ones don't. lol
Like do any of the sugars on my list count besides the coffee?

entremet

50G is half a pint of Ben & Jerrys, thats how I think of it

that's a lot of sweet ice cream

Ice creams are have tons of sugar since cold numbs your taste buds somewhat.

If you ever tasted melted ice cream, you'll notice it more. It's incredibly sweet.

Davey Cakes

Looking at my macros, I consume 25g in sugars from legumes, nuts, veggies.

But I also consume 60g on top of that from two glasses of whole milk. So maybe I should cut the milk out. I've been considering that anyways.
If only people realized how much sugar and fat was in milk, they wouldn't drink it as much.

Cutting milk out is similar to cutting juice and soda out. It's a heavy beverage full of calories. People don't think of sipping milk from a small cup as an indulgence. They think of drinking a full tall glass as a dietary supplement. Remove milk and you may be talking about calories that either don't have to be there or can be replaced by healthier or more satisfying things.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't know how to distinguish which ones count and which ones don't. lol
Like do any of the sugars on my list count besides the coffee?

Well, sugars from green vegetables, legumes and fruits don't count the same because they are usually accompanied by large amounts of fiber and water, which makes those foods very filling. They also may take more time to eat and digest, which means you don't get that rush that compels you to eat the entire Nestle bar instead of just a bite. As a matter of fact, legumes are high on carbs, but very, very healthy.

Despite the paleo naysayers, we should probably be eating more legumes and less red meat.

Ray Wonder

Some of the sugar in the Salad Dressing and Tuna sandwich are probably added sugars

so like a few grams.

Well shit, I'm gonna be consuming like 10 grams of this FDA sugar on a good day and like 40 on a bad day.

The article doesn't do much to mention the "real sugars," which still doesn't make sense to me. They can't just be "eat as much as you want sugars."

Well, sugars from green vegetables, legumes and fruits don't count the same because they are usually accompanied by large amounts of fiber and water, which makes those foods very filling. They also may take more time to eat and digest, which means you don't get that rush that compels you to eat the entire Nestle bar instead of just a bite. As a matter of fact, legumes are high on carbs, but very, very healthy.

Despite the paleo naysayers, we should probably be eating more legumes and less red meat.

I've never heard the word legume before this thread.

Here is a recommendation: avoid adding sugar to your food.

Want something sweet? Eat a piece of fruit.

50 grams is still a fuckton of sugar.

A calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss and gain. Nutritionally, a gram of artificial sugar is absolute shit compared to natural fruit and vegetable sugar.

Added sugar is usually fructose, which is toxic, so if people can see how much sugar was added, they can have a better idea for how much fructose is added to their food. Maybe that's why. I don't know.

Fruit is not included. However, fruit juice is absolutely included.
Vegetables are not included. Vegetable-flavored things are absolutely included.

I'm curious about Honey, though. That seems pretty all-natural to me.

Anything with "high fructose corn syrup" as the first or second ingredient needs to GTFO.

I also hate how added sugar is entirely unnecessary to make things taste better, yet it's there anyway. A can of tomato sauce that has 2g per serving of natural sugar from the tomatoes tastes better than a can of tomato sauce with 8-9g of sugar per serving, which is probably 7g added.

Of course, the stuff without the added sugar is double the price. Just, WTF?

Suger is poison, so it's a good thing people get better information. 50g is still a lot, but I imagine with us size meals it is still quite a task to stay under that amount.
And there isn't much difference between natural sugars and added sugar, both are bad, the form (liquid or solid) has also a lot to do with how your body reacts to it.

I have always wondered why sugar didn't have a % daily value. I assumed it had to do with lobbying, because the way I feel after eating sugar implies it is not very good for me.

Reading through these types of thread topics on GAF always make me want to scream. This country desperately needs an nutrition education system that isn't funded by companies out to make a quick buck.

"Sugar is poison" lol.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Reading through these types of thread topics on GAF always make me want to scream. This country desperately needs an nutrition education system that isn't funded by companies out to make a quick buck.

"Sugar is poison" lol.

Do you disagree in that 50 grams of sugar not coming from vegetables or fruits, per day, is way too much for the average adult? If so, I'd love to hear your reasons and why I need better nutrition education. Because the WHO goes further than that:

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Griss

Man I drank like 1.5 litres of coke a day from the age of 11. I wonder how much daily added sugar that was.

This recommendation seems ludicrously low to me. I'm currently eating about 1500 calories a day and I still doubt I'm under 12.5g.

(Fake) EDIT: Oh, it's 50g? That's a little more sensible.

Ray Wonder

Can I just take fiber supplements, chug a water, and then have mountain dew and it be almost the same as eating two apples?

On that topic, peanuts are actually legumes and not nuts btw

That doesn't bother me a bit. I will still call them nuts, but that's only because I don't feel like having a battle with someone every time I say it.

We have to control insulin. We were wrong about fat being the enemy, it's far better than sugar.

Blood Sugar -> Insulin -> Fat Storage.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good start. At least calling for people to pay attention to sugar and not just calories is a step in the right direction.

"Sugar is poison" lol.

Have at it. Us folks avoiding sugar will continue to enjoy the myriad of health benefits while you scream your head off.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
& think of soda like this
mtdew.jpg

colas.jpg
Omg no don't. I've already quit soda I don't need (but enjoy) these images. It's so... nasty. A soda makes me feel sick these days. When I drink one I can FEEL the sugar on my teeth. Coating them. The thick slimy corn syrup...

Anyway. My energy levels have gone up, weight gone down, and money used has gone down since I switched to water. It was a great lifestyle change.

Cloyster

Banned
I was surprised how easy it was to cut soda out from my diet almost completely. I haven't drank it serious in about two months now, I think I had it maybe once or twice when it was in a drink or at a party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom