• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever the FDA is recommending a daily cap on sugar. <50g a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Would be a weird topic for the FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION to cover.

The guidelines for nutrition are built on what I assume are a person of a certain age, certain BMI, certain daily calorie consumption and burn, etc. Exercise can have a drastic change on those numbers and I wanted to know if it was taken into account, if so how much, etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have 9g of carbs a day. It shouldn't be so amazing to me how little gaf knows about nutrition, but these threads always blow my mind.

Not just GAF, man, not just GAF. There's a reason so many people are so damn fat and physically operate like decrepit old people despite still being in their mid-to-late 30s.

ILoveBish

Not just GAF, man, not just GAF. There's a reason so many people are so damn fat and physically operate like decrepit old people despite still being in their mid-to-late 30s.

Yep, true. I'm in my late 30s, lift heavier then 99% of people at my gym, never been healthier and leaner in my life. Strait up, eff carbs.

Meier

Damn, that's a can of soda basically. :( I went for awhile without it but I just cant remove it entirely.. it's so good. I do just drink it at dinner basically at least.

Fruits and veggies are completely fine. Added refined sugar is the problem. Avoid added sugar and refined foods such as flower based stuff and watch the weight fall off. I did that and was losing a little too much weight despite eating several servings of fruit every day.

That's just HFCS right? Cane sugar probably like 100-150mg for daily safe consumption.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Just in case: no. 3 cans of mexican coke or pepsi throwback would be equally as unhealthy as 3 cans of regular coke. HFCS may potentially have different metabolic effects to some small extent but at the quantities in even a single can of soda, the sugar is just purely unhealthy.

50g is a lot of sugar but it adds up quick. I am standing in front of my pantry and well let's take a look.

Lipton ice tea mix (yuck) 19g per glass.
Quaker Oatmeal 12g.

I don't keep a lot of junk around anymore. Best thing I ever did was cut out coke etc. Now and then I'll have something sweet and eat a few things like candy bars etc but overall just avoiding coke and just drinking water I am well under the 50g cap a day.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, true. I'm in my late 30s, lift heavier then 99% of people at my gym, never been healthier and leaner in my life. Strait up, eff carbs.

Have you ever heard of Dominic D'Agostino? He's a research scientist (and a super strong power lifter) who has been doing a lot of great work with ketogenic and low-carb diets. Some recent stuff showing very compelling data when it comes to building muscle without consuming carbs. You've been demonstrating this on your own, of course, but figured you might be interested.

He's been on a few podcasts. He was most recently on an episode of Tim Ferriss's (I know, I know) show and had a lot of interesting topics to discuss.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

entremet

Have you ever heard of Dominic D'Agostino? He's a research scientist (and a super strong power lifter) who has been doing a lot of great work with ketogenic and low-carb diets. Some recent stuff showing very compelling data when it comes to building muscle without consuming carbs. You've been demonstrating this on your own, of course, but figured you might be interested.

He's been on a few podcasts. He was most recently on an episode of Tim Ferriss's (I know, I know) show and had a lot of interesting topics to discuss.

What's so bad about Tim Ferriss? He has a great podcast.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There absolutely is one, anything in excess is bad for you. Men who are 19 - 30 years old should have 2 cups of fruit per day.

My Plate being referenced in a serious discussion? Please stop...

I mean just look at this quote from your link:

"In general, 1 cup of fruit or 100% fruit juice, or ½ cup of dried fruit can be considered as 1 cup from the Fruit Group."

No, man. Just no.

What's so bad about Tim Ferriss? He has a great podcast.

He just does some things that rub me the wrong way, but I agree that his podcast can be good and he curates a lot of good information for his audience. I think I just have an inherent distrust or aversion to self-help gurus.

way more

Natural lyfe

ampere

My Plate being referenced in a serious discussion? Please stop...

I mean just look at this quote from your link:

"In general, 1 cup of fruit or 100% fruit juice, or ½ cup of dried fruit can be considered as 1 cup from the Fruit Group."

No, man. Just no.

Didn't notice that fruit juice bit (which is sad to see), but honestly I assumed My Plate was a reliable source! It seemed like a big improvement over the Food Pyramid, but I admittedly haven't investigated it much.

Sugar is poison is funny from a biochemical perspective, but continue.

Acting as though you know better than some of us through some vague wording: check

Not actually sharing that knowledge with the rest of us lowly mortals: check

Implying an argument is wrong without actually providing any evidence: check

Posting a drive by with no substance: check

Posting stuff like this is funny from a poster perspective, but continue.

If you want to elaborate on that, you may find that the poison thing some people mention may often be sourced here: https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

Disprove his claims if you will, they are backed by numerous scientific sources (that have been meta analysed) and an extensive knowledge on biochemistry (unlike you im guessing).

ILoveBish

I'll give it a listen this weekend, thanks.

Kenstar

Acting as though you know better than some of us through some vague wording: check

Not actually sharing that knowledge with the rest of us lowly mortals: check

Implying an argument is wrong without actually providing any evidence: check

Posting a drive by with no substance: check

Posting stuff like this is funny from a poster perspective, but continue.

If you want to elaborate on that, you may find that the poison thing some people mention may often be sourced here: https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

Disprove his claims if you will, they are backed by numerous scientific sources (that have been meta analysed) and an extensive knowledge on biochemistry (unlike you im guessing).

It's literally not poison, you don't need a damned video to tell you that. There are some things you shouldn't have ANY of (trans fat) but sugar is not one of those things

In the right amounts, EVERYTHING is a poison, the danger is in the dose

PURE OXYGEN is a poisonous gas if you breathe too much of it ffs

It's literally not poison, you don't need a damned video to tell you that. There are some things you shouldn't have ANY of (trans fat) but sugar is not one of those things

In the right amounts, EVERYTHING is a poison, the danger is in the dose

PURE OXYGEN is a poisonous gas if you breathe too much of it ffs

Welp that certainly changed my mind over a 1 and a half hour video of pure scientific studies and in depth biochemistry discussion. I dont even have a strong position on this issue, but no attempts have been made to counter the assertion he and a lot of people make of just how bad (read: toxic, "poison") sugar is to you.

He's not saying you shouldn't eat any sugar btw, watch the video. It should be a highly informative video even if you dont agree with his conclusions. Saying you dont need a video to tell you things is weird, i dont take anything in life (especially science) as absolutely certain and will always pursue new information that can lead to a change in views.

Kenstar

Welp that certainly changed my mind over a 1 and a half hour video of pure scientific studies and in depth biochemistry discussion. I dont even have a strong position on this issue, but no attempts have been made to counter the assertion he and a lot of people make of just how bad (read: toxic, "poison") sugar is to you.

He's not saying you shouldn't eat any sugar btw, watch the video. It should be a highly informative video even if you dont agree with his conclusions. Saying you dont need a video to tell you things is weird, i dont take anything in life (especially science) as absolutely certain and will always pursue new information that can lead to a change in views.

Sugar is not poison
Scientific consensus has not previously said and does not currently state that it is poison.

Just because someone doesn't buy into hyperbole doesn't make them anti-science

I eat low carb and know exactly how sugar affects my appetite, which is why I avoid it

It's still not a poison

Davey Cakes

"When you're hungry, reach for a Snickers."

NO. When I'm hungry I'll try for something a little more nutritionally substantial, thanks.

I agree that nutrition and biology education are quite bad, but it's odd to see the people bemoaning this fact also being the "eff carbs" people in this thread, as though carbohydrates haven't been a staple of the human diet for longer than they've actually been "human" in the sense we typically mean. I'm all for saying that carbs - and crappy carbs, to boot - are too large a proportion of our diet, that we process our food too much, etc., but balance, not a mere sidestep to another form of extremism like many primal types seem to advocate for, is the name of the game.

Kenstar

I agree that nutrition and biology education are quite bad, but it's odd to see the people bemoaning this fact also being the "eff carbs" people in this thread, as though carbohydrates haven't been a staple of the human diet for longer than they've actually been "human" in the sense we typically mean. I'm all for saying that carbs - and crappy carbs, to boot - are too large a proportion of our diet, that we process our food too much, etc., but balance, not a mere sidestep to another form of extremism like many primal types seem to advocate for, is the name of the game.

nah bro it's LITERALLY POISON study it out

I think it just goes in cycles. We're not too far away from self-professed fitness gurus and health nuts saying Fats were the enemy, remember.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the hardest part of sugar is how much sugar is in normal foods. I don't even eat candy or drink soda but I still will hit 50 easily from the milk, tomatos, ect.

That's still a lot of sugar.
1 M&M has about 1g of sugar, that means you can eat 50 pieces of M&Ms and be ok.

Just no.

50 M&Ms is probably like two modest handfuls for an adult male. 2 handfuls of M&Ms are probably not going to exert a super strong effect on most adult males' health, provided they are strictly "clean" in every other aspect of their diet. The problem is that most will not be, and the very nature of our modern food system is such that this is a difficult thing to even achieve without taking extra time and spending more money (unless you're willing to eat VERY simply, which, if you're eating 50 M&Ms per day, you're not going to be).

Granted, it IS too high in the sense that one's health will be suboptimal at that level, but it would be a heck of an improvement on a culture where people unthinkingly drink 2-3 cans of coke per day, plus have sugary snacks, plus eat white bread, etc.

Edit: Fats are the enemy, if they're the wrong kinds of fats. Go out of your way to eat omega 3s, don't cook with processed or low smoke point oils, and don't go overboard (because fat contains over twice as many calories per gram as other macronutrients), and they need not be.

Ihyll

The key is moderation...1 can of Coke a day won't kill you...the average life span of Americans is in the high 70s and supposedly we eat the unhealthiest foods in the world.

You start chugging down 3 or 4 cans of Coke a day and yeah you'll start to feel the effects in a few years

ILoveBish

I get my essential meth and cocaine everyday too, all in moderation tho bro. Balance.

bionic77

Fuck this government. They want our guns and are trying to take away harmless racism and now they want to take away our sugar? The one thing we can all agree on?

Over my almost dead morbidly obese body!

What ever happened to freedom?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

How do you define balance?

Eliminating or dramatically limiting something that has ill effects on my health is not extremism in my book.

Ihyll

Eliminating or dramatically limiting something that has ill effects on my health is not extremism in my book.

Good luck starving yourself to death because literally every food out there has some type of ill effect on your body if not eaten in moderation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck starving yourself to death because literally every food out there has some type of ill effect on your body if not eaten in moderation.

That's not really true, though.

Unless you mean eating something to the point that your stomach explodes or something, but I don't plan on doing that.

Josh5890

I guess the sugar lobbyists aren't paying up anymore to keep things quiet. It is amazing how sugar is the one item on the nutrient list on every product that tells people how much sugar in the product equals their daily suggested intake.

Carbohydrates, grain or otherwise, do not, in whole form, have ill effects on one's body, at least more than any other macronutrient. That's the sentiment I'm reacting against, not necessarily the limiting of sugar, specifically, because I think it's virtually universally agreed by most nutritionists that sugar outside of the forms in which it naturally appears is a substance that should be limited to an occasional treat. (Though with sweeteners like Xylitol, one can still safely indulge one's sweet tooth without the ill effects, assuming one does not have GI distress upon eating it like some do.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Carbohydrates, grain or otherwise, do not, in whole form, have ill effects on one's body, at least more than any other macronutrient. That's the sentiment I'm reacting against, not necessarily the limiting of sugar, specifically, because I think it's virtually universally agreed by most nutritionists that sugar outside of the forms in which it naturally appears is a substance that should be limited to an occasional treat. (Though with sweeteners like Xylitol, one can still safely indulge one's sweet tooth without the ill effects, assuming one does not have GI distress upon eating it like some do.)

I disagree, and I think a lot of the literature does, too.

Carbs can be great if you're young, growing, and really active, but I think they should certainly be considered harmful if you're relatively inactive, especially as you grow in years.

I'll try to elaborate further with some sources later on if I find the time to dig everything up.

grumble

Carbs can be great if you're young, growing, and really active, but I think they should certainly be considered harmful if you're relatively inactive, especially as you grow in years.

I'll try to elaborate further with some sources later on if I find the time to dig everything up.

Carbs in moderation are not unhealthy. Carbs in refined form in excess combined with low activity levels is unhealthy. If you had to kayak for an hour for every candy bar you ate you'd be fine, because your body would burn it off quickly as energy and you'd eat fewer candy bars to avoid kayaking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you had to kayak for an hour for every candy bar you ate you'd be fine, because your body would burn it off quickly as energy and you'd eat fewer candy bars to avoid kayaking.

If that's your definition of "moderation," then the concept may as well not even exist.

I've read a great many sources re: the supposedly harmful nature of carbohydrates, and they're always unsatisfactory, narrow in scope, and ignored the many beneficial micronutrients, minerals, and phytochemicals that exist pretty much exclusively in carbohydrate food sources and which are almost certainly a part of optimum human health, given they were almost certainly a part of the human diet in the environment of adaptation. Not to mention that BEING active, in a variety of ways, for which carbohydrates can certainly be beneficial, can also confer many health benefits.

Are they strictly "necessary"? No, because the human body is an omnivorous machine and can survive on a great many potential diets, and has done so throughout all of known history. Will some people be more harmed by them than others? Absolutely, and as nutrigenomics develops as a field, people will receive customized dietary recommendations that tell them about how many of what macronutrients they can safely "handle" based on their genetic predispositions and environmental reality, as well as what they can or should supplement or substitute to achieve and maintain optimum health. They'll have computerized diet and exercise trackers keeping score for them at all times, and software programs fine-tuning their activities. Hell, they may even have medical technology that can uninvasively undo any and all damage they might do to themselves by their lifestyle choices. But until we reach that level of sophistication in our understanding of nutrition, the smartest space is likely the middle one, in which a consistent variety of whole, smartly-prepared foods are eaten in lesser amounts than one truly "wants" (because caloric restriction is also statistically beneficial, long-term, as might be intermittent fasting and other behaviors), and one avoids dietary fads that zero-in on one or a few qualities of particular foods while ignoring the holistic perspective that diets always function in.

McLovin

I'm on keto so I'm good. I don't even hit 10g of sugar a day and the little I get is from broccoli. I tell people what I do for food and they look at me like I'm crazy, meanwhile I'm in the gym 5 times a week and getting leaner and meaner, they are all gaining weight slowly:p

entremet

Whole fruit is fine.

This fruit hatred is something I'll never understand. The obesity crisis isn't because of increased fruit consumption.

Fruit juice I get.

Skyzard

Banned
Fish, eggs, nuts, cucumbers and take your vitamins. I have some yoghurt, bananas and tomatoes every now and then too.

Water, so much water. Some juice if you can stop yourself drinking the whole thing.

Cutting out sugar as much as you can is just good. Makes you appreciate desserts more on-top of all the health, energy and appetite benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom