• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those saying Metroid Dread looks bad

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, it doesn't look top notch, but that's more a hardware limitation that Nintendo has been putting itself under for most of its console iterations. Artistically, I don't know if I like the sleek white Portal looking shit for a main antagonist, but I'm sure it plays incredibly and I can't wait to give it a try one day.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
elden ring looks like shite compared to demon souls on ps5 :pie_roffles: (y)
Honestly not for me, I personally HATED some redesign in the DeS remake, but aesthetics in Elden is sooo good, I take that over high tech graphics.
This just looks boring. Lots of grey, generic looking low detail "futuristic" background and those robots are so bland they seriously look like they bought them on some asset store.
That has more to do not liking its art direction rather than graphics looking like “3DS”. Same BS post i saw in SMT5 trailer, either people are blind or have no fucking idea what 3DS games looked like.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
It looks like Strider or Shadow Complex: older games that looked only decent at best when released years ago. Compared to Super Metroid (or even Fusion) Dread does indeed look worse. There is a startling lack of color for one. The environments look bland and basic.

I’ve played every Metroid game and am a huge fan of the series and I’ll buy the game day 1, but let’s not let our love of the series cloud our judgement here. The game look fairly weak in its presentation. All we can hope is that the game play and mechanics are excellent.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
elden ring looks like shite compared to demon souls on ps5 :pie_roffles: (y)
Depends on what you value, in terms of graphics. Obviously Demon's Souls is gorgeously polished with modern tech and a great art style to boot, but Elden Ring is very alluring in it's own right. The art style may even be a step up.

I understand your preference, but it's too bad if you can't appreciate the artistic quality of Elden Ring and the great visual appeal of the game. Someone may have crappier recording equipment than a big studio, but they can still write a damn great song. I think the term "shit" isn't quite fair.

Faithless83

Banned
Based on how Nintendo gave zero fucks about Metroid for so long, I'm happy we got a game.
Does it look amazing? No.
Does it look great? I don't think so.

Do they have the budget to make something Ori alike?
Yes, hence the complains. This is not an indie game company.

Fbh

Honestly not for me, I personally HATED some redesign in the DeS remake, but aesthetics in Elden is sooo good, I take that over high tech graphics.

That has more to do not liking its art direction rather than graphics looking like “3DS”. Same BS post i saw in SMT5 trailer, either people are blind or have no fucking idea what 3DS games looked like.

Well the thread title says "for those who think Metroid Dread looks bad".

Having bad art direction goes a long way towards making this look bad. It's not all about raw graphics.
Hollow Knight doesn't have better "graphics" than this. But the art direction makes it look 10x better.

And for the record I think SMT looks great and significantly better than Metroid.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Graphically it looks competent enough. I think most of the negative sentiment has more to do with the art direction, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I play it myself. Presumably we've only seen the very early portion of the game, and for all we know, later areas could look much different. That, or they'll commit to the sort of Portal aesthetic the whole way through -- but even that could go places.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well the thread title says "for those who think Metroid Dredd looks bad".

Having bad art direction goes a long way towards making this look bad. It's not all about raw graphics.
Hollow Knight doesn't have better "graphics" than this. But the art direction makes it look 10x better.

And for the record I think SMT looks great and significantly better than Metroid.
I agree with you that art direction is way more important, if you are not liking aesthetics, no amount of high tech going help make the game looking better.

I'm just sick of "it looks like 3DS game" posts, even when Elden Ring got announced there were posts saying that game looked early PS3 game.....WTF!!?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It doesn't look BAD... but it certainly doesn't look all that spectacular.

If I want games with retro-style graphics, even indies do it better.

It's not a matter of graphics, but of style. Metroid looks somewhat dull to me.

The op talks of "stylish" and I agree that's the key. The problem is that Metroid Dread simply isn't, at least in my eyes.

It does look dull and the animation is severally lacking.

1YtSvkn.gif

AGpstvx.gif

Speaking of indies....
Is more impressive and a heck of a lot cheaper.
(id wager it's a more lengthy game)

Urban

Bingo. I thought I was watching Metrois Samus Returns on 3DS at first right down to the arm half moon mechanic when I was watching the Nintendo Direct.
I heard that it started development on Nintendo DS as well but they reanimated the project when it was scrapped there.
I'm happy there's a Metroid on the Switch but it seems like another low effort endeavor like Super Mario 3D all Stars, Windwaker HD etc.

Wasnt this the finished Metroid Game rumor? I read a rumor back then, that Nintendo is sitting on a finished Metroid Game for about 5-6 years.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Bingo. I thought I was watching Metrois Samus Returns on 3DS at first right down to the arm half moon mechanic when I was watching the Nintendo Direct.
I heard that it started development on Nintendo DS as well but they reanimated the project when it was scrapped there.
I'm happy there's a Metroid on the Switch but it seems like another low effort endeavor like Super Mario 3D all Stars, Windwaker HD etc.
To me, it's definitely a feeling of "Sorry about Metroid Prime 4. Here's what we can manage in the meantime."

I'm hoping for the best and there are things I like about it, but it does feel underwhelming.

Last edited:

Neil Young

Nintendo has activated "Cheap Mode". They're crushing it so why bother? Why spend money on development when it will sell anyway? No questions about Metroid 4, Mario Kart 9, 3d Mario etc. Zelda in 2022, how convenient, right when the next Switch comes out. Anyway, those games would cost money. Here's a 2d Metroid, a remake of Advance Wars, and a Wario Game (They won E3....get the fuck out of here!).

We know what they CAN do. Look at Luigi's Mansion. That game was beautiful. Does this look even close to that?

jaysius

Banned
These hacks should never have been allowed to touch a mainline canon game.

The art style is lazy shit, the backgrounds are dead and dull, everything about this is awful. Burn it all to the ground.

The gameplay mechanics they forced into the 3DS game were awful, with too many chase sequences and the counter move ended up being abused and a lazy crutch for them.

This will be worth it in bargain bins.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It doesn't look like a 3DS game but it looks far behind games like Yoshi on Switch when it comes to graphics..

Mister Wolf

It doesn't look like a 3DS game but it looks far behind games like Yoshi on Switch when it comes to graphics..

Yoshi runs at a resolution lower than 720p(The game is blurry as hell) so naturally it would have more overhead for assets running on the same hardware.

Last edited:
The need I keep seeing around the Internet to defend this game's visuals tells me people--deep down--really know what Nintendo presented looks underwhelming.

Technically, while it probably could be better, Dread appears fine for something running on the Switch, and hopefully the finished game will provide an essentially locked 60fps experience. The elephant in the room is Nintendo hasn't created a Metroid with legitimate 2D controls for home consoles since 1994. Many expected more from something the company is willing to call Metroid 5, whether "more" is a matter of wanting a game with higher technical prowess or just something with greater flair.

I find Dread's style to be unnecessarily dull, something that could probably be slightly alleviated with more vibrant colors. Considering the game releases in October and common sense would suggest Nintendo's videos are trying to show the game at its best, I imagine the desaturated art direction will generally carry through to the rest of the unseen areas, even if the environmental variety gets beyond grey-ish rocks, grey-ish ice, and grey-ish metal. Additionally, I haven't particularly enjoyed anything created by Mercury Steam, so them being the developer does throw a certain amount of water on the fire.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

When games like Ori, Hollow knight or Rain World exist, it's difficult to not be a tad disappointed by this Metroid's graphics. At least, it looks clean.

e&e

Banned
It looks mediocre and it sticks out since Nintendo games tend to have excellent art.

Blasphemous looks far superior.
These posts are something else lmfao!

“If it doesn’t look handrawn or not a pixelated game (even when we already have a million of those), it’s uninspired”.

OP was right, and is a good reason for “fans” to shut the fuck up! I don’t want a pixelated game, I am tired of those!

Just immediately put them on ignore if I were you, those type of posts are not meant to have discussions.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I think it looks good for a side scroller but Metroid Prime 4 is what we all really want.
We should start hearing about MP4 late this year / early next year.

eNT1TY

Many of Nintendo's studios will continue to put in minimal effort while charging top dollar as long as they have apologists willing to pay for anything they put out. The lazy get compensated just as well as the talented so there is no incentive to improve technically, people are still buying the shit. This game right here though is straight up unity engine practice tier shit so far.

small_law

It’s the first side scrolling Metroid game in a very long time, so I’m in. I’m not saying it can get away with looking like shit, but there’s a level of fidelity I’m willing to accept on this one. If I want graphics, I’ll play on my PC.

Great Hair

Banned
I´m getting a bad-cheap mobile game vibe after watching this part.

A slow walking 4 legged robo doing nothing? What year is this? A Cutscene prior a scripted? battle? What? Yes, it looks really bad, so much i´m offended by it. Compare it to :
iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

And there it is, you guys are predictable as flies attracted by the fucking light…all hand drawn and pixelated…🤣

Those are different art styles…

Some of them were done by 5man devs.
If you like the look, good. But it looks bad on

a) technical level
b) artistical level
c) rap

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
It’s the first side scrolling Metroid game in a very long time, so I’m in. I’m not saying it can get away with looking like shit, but there’s a level of fidelity I’m willing to accept on this one. If I want graphics, I’ll play on my PC.

Very long time? We had SR in 2017. 4 years is nothing for Metroid fans.

Akuji

It doesn't look BAD... but it certainly doesn't look all that spectacular.

If I want games with retro-style graphics, even indies do it better.

It's not a matter of graphics, but of style. Metroid looks somewhat dull to me.

The op talks of "stylish" and I agree that's the key. The problem is that Metroid Dread simply isn't, at least in my eyes.

holy shit that looks insane!
omfg glad the video was just posted today because i would be damned if i miss such a jewel.

b2t:

metroid looks cheap.
people dont like cheap.

you like it. good for you.
should look like ori ... but it looks like some ps3 uprez game.

These posts are something else lmfao!

“If it doesn’t look handrawn or not a pixelated game (even when we already have a million of those), it’s uninspired”.

OP was right, and is a good reason for “fans” to shut the fuck up! I don’t want a pixelated game, I am tired of those!

Just immediately put them on ignore if I were you, those type of posts are not meant to have discussions.
No? Trine 4 looks good for example. But I understand that the Switch has limited hardware so if they can't do it justice in 3D I'd rather have it in 2D.

e&e

Banned
I´m getting a bad-cheap mobile game vibe after watching this part.

A slow walking 4 legged robo doing nothing? What year is this? A Cutscene prior a scripted? battle? What? Yes, it looks really bad, so much i´m offended by it. Compare it to :
iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

And there it is, you guys are predictable as flies attracted by the fucking light…all hand drawn and pixelated…🤣
No? Trine 4 looks good for example. But I understand that the Switch has limited hardware so if they can't do it justice in 3D I'd rather have it in 2D.
Those are different art styles…

PS: I guarantee you that if the game looked like that old Metroid game there would be bitching all the same…

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t know anything about the engine or techniques used etc but Ori looks a lot more graphically appealing in my opinion and runs at 60fps on Switch too. I’m sure the game will be good thoughx

Top Bottom