• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those saying Metroid Dread looks bad

Andyliini

Gold Member
I truly find it funny that certain people find Dread bland and uninspired while blindly praising Super Metroid. If only that game more than mostly static black and grey backgrounds, I might understand but nope.

• Fire
Reactions: e&e

e&e

Banned
Wow, didn't know we're on Twitter or REEEE where you just block people because they have a different opinion than you have lol.
If you really do that, you'll have a very empty gaf in a very short time lol.

There are many people with legit reasons, even explaining them why they think this game looks bad, you can't handwave them off because you don't wanna hear it. And from the looks at it, it seems to even be the majority that is unhappy with how the game looks.
This guy says the majority…🤣😂

Also saying something looks like a Wii/3DS game deserves a block, there is no discussion to be had there. You don’t intend to have a discussion with a troll post.

PS: Most people here are adults and can have good discussions, way to make GAF sound like a troll website because you think I will be blocking most of GAF...😆

Last edited:

nordique

I thought it looked stunning especially for a switch game

I am shocked people think it looks bad. People have unrealistic expectations

there’s lots of the game we haven’t seen but I found it very atmospheric

Last edited:

CuNi

This guy says the majority…🤣😂

Also saying something looks like a Wii/3DS game deserves a block, there is no discussion to be had there. You don’t intend to have a discussion with a troll post.

PS: Most people here are adults and can have good discussions, way to make GAF sound like a troll website because you think I will be blocking most of GAF...😆

Lol wtf are you talking about?

Whatever page I Open up in this thread, its 2/3 saying it looks good and the rest saying it looks bad or not up to par with this gen.
Also why on earth is it a troll post to expect a game on a console to look better than a game on a console 2 gens ago?

Romulus

I don't know about "bad" but it looks like something that could run on much older hardware like the gamecube. Whereas Prime proved the Metroid franchise could thrive with a forward thinking approach, this is a step back. Which is fine, retro 2d shooters have a place, and it is metriod's roots.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Lol wtf are you talking about?

Whatever page I Open up in this thread, its 2/3 saying it looks good and the rest saying it looks bad or not up to par with this gen.
Also why on earth is it a troll post to expect a game on a console to look better than a game on a console 2 gens ago?
You have an issue with using reasoning skills if you have to ask me these question. But keep on trolling like a troll. If even when shown a video of the predecessor game (posted in this same thread) and then that person doubles down, then bye, you a troll!

I truly find it funny that certain people find Dread bland and uninspired while blindly praising Super Metroid. If only that game more than mostly static black and grey backgrounds, I might understand but nope.
Super Metroid is 27 years old. It still holds up well (visually) for what it is. At the time, it was fucking amazing -- nobody will say the same about Dread (either now or 27 years later).

Last edited:
I expected it to have more colour as a 2D Metroid game. Browns and Greys are okay for proper console games, but given that Super Metroid and Fusion both look great, I'm disappointed with Dread.

Davey Cakes

You know the Nintendo hate is strong when people make topics about how bad a game looks and others get genuinely pissed off if anyone says anything positive about it.
Seriously. I need to go re-listen to Arlo’s reaction to the Metroid Dread reveal so I can cleanse myself of all this negativity.

Last edited:

FStubbs

My guess is Covid destroyed Nintendo's development pipeline and this was dug out of the vault of games Miyamoto flipped a table over and given a quick spit shine for release.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
Switch games were ugly before covid unless you love aliasing. The system is just underpowered as hell.

Also considering when it released, super metroid was way more impressive for its time.

The Skull

Game looks good and isn't this just the first area they've shown off? No doubt they'll be some environmental variety throughout the game. Some serious smooth brain takes in this thread though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Switch games were ugly before covid unless you love aliasing. The system is just underpowered as hell.

Also considering when it released, super metroid was way more impressive for its time.
Splatoon has a good art direction.
I don’t like that game one bit.
But the gfx work.

I just can’t get over the fact how fucking generic dread looks.

this thread getting bumped makes me just think over and over again how insane it is people defend the looks of this..
Like the hell you loved the old 2d sprite based ones??? And you are ok with this?

naah 🤣

Last edited:
Handing your ip over to a mediocre developer, yikes looks like a basic ps3 game. You know how crazy this game would look if Bethesda made it ...

This seems to be the sentiment when ANY game is revealed to be 2.5D.

Everyone wants every sidescroller to be hand drawn and super artsy looking.
Not even true, everyone praises the graphics of games like DK Returns, yoshi's crafted world, the kirby games, link's awakening, inside, and little nightmares. Keep making excuses.

I think the suit looks terrible.
I see people saying this but the suit is the only thing I like about the artstyle lol 😆

see al the fucking parts that are legit just BLACK void ? How can you say this sheit looks good?
Talk about lazy ass design

Calling this game good looking is something special XD.

WiiUVC_MetroidZeroMission_05.bmp

look how a fucking GBA game took some time to fill in the blank spaces in the platforms.

7Uylkpl.jpg

the FUCK is this SHIT?? XD

Yeah look at all the parts where it zooms in for the cutscenes, that shit looks like an unlit viewport in blender.

Last edited:

CuNi

Splatoon has a good art direction.
I don’t like that game one bit.
But the gfx work.

I just can’t get over the fact how fucking generic dread looks.

this thread getting bumped makes me just think over and over again how insane it is people defend the looks of this..
Like the hell you loved the old 2d sprite based ones??? And you are ok with this?

naah 🤣

Let's just hope MP4 turns out completely different. If not, then I fear we won't see or hear anything metroid for another decade

Davey Cakes

Not even true, everyone praises the graphics of games like DK Returns, yoshi's crafted world, the kirby games, link's awakening, inside, and little nightmares. Keep making excuses.
Yeah, but I've yet to see someone say "this game could look like DKC Tropical Freeze." It's always Ori, Hollow Knight, Rayman, or any number of super stylized 2D games.

I'm not really making excuses, either. Just making an observation.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Yeah, but I've yet to see someone say "this game could look like DKC Tropical Freeze." It's always Ori, Hollow Knight, Rayman, or any number of super stylized 2D games.

I'm not really making excuses, either. Just making an observation.
It gets compared specifically with Ori and Hollow Knight because they're metroidvanias. Fans of this genres usually expect a higher level of art design, more than platformers like Mario and DKC (Rayman is the exception).

(I still think Dread looks okay)

GymWolf

Gold Member
It looks okay, i think people is just pissed off because they showed this instead of something from prime 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom