• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Sony Employee reveals info on the internal culture war between the Japanese and the US branch for the control of the Playstation brand

Dabaus

Banned
Real or not Sony is giving off late 360 and Xbox one reveal era levels of hubris. Abandoning Japan is the equivalent of xbox abandoning fps games. I’m really starting to doubt we see a Bloodborne 2 and with the revaluations that Sony is out of touch as we feared, wouldn’t be surprised if these Xbox getting certain Japanese exclusives wind up being true.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony could figure out who he is but they have no idea what this Vita thing he was working with was.

Larlight

I read the post but most of the answers he gave weren’t anything revealing that someone who has been following the industry for a while couldn’t make. He doesn’t sound like he was that high up in the company.

Larlight

If people didn't want to believe him before, oooh boy.

this sounds like some fanboy shit lol. Either bitter ex employee or the vetting process on the subreddit isn’t that good. This goes along with my previous comment as well. Any examples he gave have been already extensively covered in the gaming news/media. He hasn’t told us something we didn’t already know.

Last edited:
It was vetted by r/Vita mods. what's your problem?
Considering he said that the accessory port was being considered for use for HDMI out but they couldn't get the "software" ironed out post launch...I'm gonna Press (X) to Doubt. The myth that that accessory port was ever going to be a HDMI port has been well and truly busted...the Vita isn't even capable of encoding HDMI video signals...like at all...it doesn't have the necessary chip.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
There are no countries as we see them typically for these companies. Only areas of more or less profit. Sony sees more profit in the Americas, therefore it stands to reason they will focus the majority of their effort there. There are no pity points because a company originated from a certain country.

It could be that Sony is wrong and Japan becomes a very important market in the future. Right now though, it seems dominated by Nintendo and Sony's analysts seem to agree that the cost benefit doesn't add up.

I would take everything said with a fairly large dose of salt as this is an anonymous source to readers. Reddit moderators are a low bar for establishing credibility I would think.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Considering he said that the accessory port was being considered for use for HDMI out but they couldn't get the "software" ironed out post launch...I'm gonna Press (X) to Doubt. The myth that that accessory port was ever going to be a HDMI port has been well and truly busted...the Vita isn't even capable of encoding HDMI video signals...like at all...it doesn't have the necessary chip.

They could do a dongle type adaptor though.

images

I love how this thread has totally ignored one major part of the quoted comment.

"I'm going to simplify it at the cost of some nuance".

That is a massive massive caveat in terms of what was said in the comment. There's going to be lots plans lots of decisions made and reasons for decisions being made that are a lot more nuisanced and complicated than just "culture war". Any large company has internal politics, I don't know why some people here are surprised by that.

Last edited:
this sounds like some fanboy shit lol. Either bitter ex employee or the vetting process on the subreddit isn’t that good. This goes along with my previous comment as well. Any examples he gave have been already extensively covered in the gaming news/media. He hasn’t told us something we didn’t already know.

Who cares how it sounds, when exactly that will happen.
Sony has not much to offer against it.

MS has more money, more manpower, more studios and IPs, more platforms to leverage, better tech backbone
Only in brand they lose out on Sony.

HeresJohnny

Don't know how true it is, but one of the reasons I've always enjoyed Sony's systems was because of the Japanese heritage, not in spite of it. Japanese games seem to be more creative, more polished, and just generally made with more pride than their western counterparts. This is something that should be applauded, not stymied. A westernized Sony will lose in the long run against more seasoned western rivals like Microsoft, which can simply outbuy them on important publishers (like Bethesda). They need that Japanese influence to set them apart and continue on with the brand's heritage. Hopefully this is not true.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Don't know how true it is, but one of the reasons I've always enjoyed Sony's systems was because of the Japanese heritage, not in spite of it. Japanese games seem to be more creative, more polished, and just generally made with more pride than their western counterparts. This is something that should be applauded, not stymied. A westernized Sony will lose in the long run against more seasoned western rivals like Microsoft, which can simply outbuy them on important publishers (like Bethesda). They need that Japanese influence to set them apart and continue on with the brand's heritage. Hopefully this is not true.

The only drawback with Japan running things (at least since the PS3 days) was that Tokyo was in charge of ALL system OS firmware updates. That was a headache back in the PS3 days, especially when right after the release of TLOU they released a bad FW update that bricked consoles for more than a week before Tokyo got around to fixing it. Also any quality of life updates to the OS would be slow to be adopted because, again, Tokyo had total control over the OS. I believe that continued into the PS4 as well.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I think people are wrongly assuming this guy is on the higher up/hardware team when we don't really know what his position is. He has his opinions based on what he's witnessed and experienced, so of course there will be some biases and flaws to it. Make your own assessments on what he says and read between the lines.

Off Topic:

The Chairman The Chairman , I have a list of users on here who I've seen are known to A) Argue you to death, B) Always be negative about anything thrown their way, or C) Are just trolls. If you want the list send me a private message. The best action, as usual, is not to engage or else you end up with the first page of your thread full of garbage arguing. Realize what they are early on and don't let them get under your skin.

Entroyp

It’s good that the western front won the war. The Japanese side of the business has sucked hard (except team Asobi) for more than a decade. I know many people here are Ok with a company sucking for more than a decade without consequences (see MS fans) but Sony doesn’t have a filthy rich dad that pays for its screwups and buys its success.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not that I believe in some random crap from reddit, but something like this reminds of Sega US vs Sega Japan back in the old days. Doesn't seem far from believable judging the way they're acting now. I would cheer for Japan though and pray to do something, best things come from them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The X and O button swap was a big fuck you to the Japanese market. I think a lot of long-time PlayStation fans really felt betrayed by that there.

(not an I'm an expert meme)

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Chairman The Chairman The Chairman The Chairman , I have a list of users on here who I've seen are known to A) Argue you to death, B) Always be negative about anything thrown their way, or C) Are just trolls. If you want the list send me a private message. The best action, as usual, is not to engage or else you end up with the first page of your thread full of garbage arguing. Realize what they are early on and don't let them get under your skin.

Dude's making lists.
steve buscemi people to kill GIF

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Dude's making lists.
I am. But that doesn't mean the list is for me.
tenor.gif

I enjoy poking those bears. To me it's verbal equivalent of throwing hands and then shaking hands after it's over in respect. You need thick skin and some here don't have it in them.

StormCell

I'm sad to hear there is any sort of culture war inside of Playstation. On this topic, I've felt that the quality of Japanese games exclusive to the platform has been on a noticeably downward trend. They still have a lot of terrific games that they are publishing, but I'm not in love with the western template those games generally follow.

I've bit the bullet and bought an Xbox Series X because that backlog is pretty long now. I still figure on eventually buying a PS5, but I'm beginning to feel like that is going to be dependent on what new IPs Sony publishes for it in conjunction with the games I don't want to miss such as new Spider-man and Horizon Forbidden West. American political influence could turn me off of these games pretty quickly though because nothing is as endearing as running around a game world listening to people repeat cliche political ideologies like a broken record... Hopefully the new Playstation Overlords are listening and decide not to add those extra few audio clips weighing in on American politics. :LOL:

I am partially kidding...

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

The only drawback with Japan running things (at least since the PS3 days) was that Tokyo was in charge of ALL system OS firmware updates. That was a headache back in the PS3 days, especially when right after the release of TLOU they released a bad FW update that bricked consoles for more than a week before Tokyo got around to fixing it. Also any quality of life updates to the OS would be slow to be adopted because, again, Tokyo had total control over the OS. I believe that continued into the PS4 as well.
I’m cool with a western division handling technical aspects and interfaces, but I want that creative talent from Japan. It’s one of the defining reasons I’ve bought Sony systems in the past.

StormCell

The internal Playstation culture wars sound similar to what happened with Sega US and Sega Japan over 32X/Saturn.

History repeating itself? Will Playstation destroy itself and end up as a software company like Sega?
No, I don't think so. I think that whatever power struggle was had is probably settled for the moment and had little to nothing to do with console design. Probably the struggle centered on content and maybe UI development.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Real or not Sony is giving off late 360 and Xbox one reveal era levels of hubris. Abandoning Japan is the equivalent of xbox abandoning fps games.

Sony Japan produced very little in terms of commercial success for 20+ years.

The FPS genre is one of the most commercially viable genres, and Microsofts biggest franchise is one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I read it and somehow I get the feeling that he was still under a lot of pay grades. Almost like the person who answers the phone when you call PlayStation technical support. While I do feel sad for what happen to the Vita, the move away from Japan’s culture/business structure, and the change in authority of leadership. I still strongly believe they’ll knock it out of the park with 3rd party support from Japanese developers. The best game I’ve played on the PS5 is a game from a Japanese developer. Elden Ring, Resident Evil Village, and Final Fantasy XVI are from a Japanese developer. Final Fantasy XVI has an “exclusive” launch for the PS5. We all saw/see how Final Fantasy VII Remake was on PS4. The game has not been launched on another platform and a lot of people have already finished it several times. Why the hell would I move to another platform? If Final Fantasy XVI does the same exact thing then I am literally not being able to play Final Fantasy XVI for 12+ months? I don’t see why it’s such a doom and gloom with Sony. Sure, those aspects that the Reddit person points out are discouraging, but it would have been more discouraging to hear that in 2014-2017 than it is in 2021. If anything, buyouts are going to dictate the overall outlet of the console. I don’t exactly see Sony suffering here. I think it will take Sony time to announce a big IP. The PSN store on the PS3/Vita hurts Sony fans in a way that’s not taking money from their wallets. If what he said was true, classic games become more of a topic of discussion than something implemented by a large majority of gamers. Think about the amount of streamers for Fall Guys or Fortnite versus the group watching someone play through a classic retro game. It’s going to be the big hitters that Sony can produce. I think they’ve already shown us that with NieR, God of War, Uncharted, HZD, and TLoU2. TLoU2 was getting perfect scores all over the world. How is a years worth of waiting and discussing games proof that Sony is on their way out?

Top Bottom