• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken now supports FSR3 Frame Gen (Update patch 1.22), free demo if you want to try it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
what is your texture setting
try 1440p output resolution and don't enable ray tracing

and try it with a gamepad btw
Tried with 1440p and it runs much better with 1440p quality compared even to 4k performance fsr... which is strange because 1440p quality is higher res.
Disabled RT shadows and AO too.
One note - standard AO looks way better than "fidelityFX" option. Almost like if ffx was broken.

Yeah, fsr3 goes from 80 to 120 in that scenario. Feels way better. I could play like that

winjer

Gold Member
Lot's of thecnical data:

And something important:

With VSync disabled, the algorithm becomes more complicated. There are methods for when rendering is CPU limited versus GPU limited, and when the ALLOW_TEARING flag is used. Generally, to get the most “frames”, VSync can be disabled on lower refresh monitors with the ALLOW_TEARING flag set. You will see screen tearing, but FPS counters should reflect higher display frame rate.

When VSync is disabled, there are more wait events used in the frame pacing system to maintain present to present timing which should read to a smoother frame-time graph, rather than the zig-zag when VSync is enabled. However, the gameplay experience when using low-refresh monitors is unlikely to benefit from this.

And about latency:

njgSPmN.png

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Did the consoles get any updates at all since release improving performance or visuals?

(Im assuming Im the only one here that played all the way through the PS5 version)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The issue seems to be that FSR3, still uses the code from FSR2.2 for upscaling and AA.
So it has a bit of shimmering and disocclusion artifacts.
AMD really needs to step up their game with regards to image stability.
Even on Radeon GPUs, XeSS 1.2 already looks better than FSR2.2 And with not a big difference in performance.
5IeHzZN.jpg

At 4K quality FSR 2.2 is generally pretty close to DLSS 2, so it is pretty solid. One of the few games where FSR looks like complete shit even at 4K quality - Forspoken

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Did the consoles get any updates at all since release improving performance or visuals?

(Im assuming Im the only one here that played all the way through the PS5 version)
I finished it on ps5. It got a good updated about 2 months after release with new AO and better lods and performance.
I doubt the game will get fsr3 on consoles. fsr3 is good when You start with 60+... not to get there

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I finished it on ps5. It got a good updated about 2 months after release with new AO and better lods and performance.
I doubt the game will get fsr3 on consoles. fsr3 is good when You start with 60+... not to get there

Oh sweet! Definitely going to fire it up after work. Thanks homie.

yamaci17

Tried with 1440p and it runs much better with 1440p quality compared even to 4k performance fsr... which is strange because 1440p quality is higher res.
Disabled RT shadows and AO too.
One note - standard AO looks way better than "fidelityFX" option. Almost like if ffx was broken.

Yeah, fsr3 goes from 80 to 120 in that scenario. Feels way better. I could play like that
I told you , the game will use native res hints + buffers to make upscaling beliveable. that is why 4k is so intensive on VRAM

unrelated but see;

same render resolution, but do a close inspection, you will see 4k dlss performance loads

- better textures
- better lods
- higher quality assets in general
- has 4k hints (that helps temporal construction greatly, you can see trees turn into mush with 1080p native hints, but look so great with 4k hints)

do you think these come for free?? noo. it uses vram, naturally xd

since the game has a hardcap of %90 VRAM (%10 safety buffer), it will realistically at a maximum will use 8.8-9 GB of your VRAM. Sadly this is where PS5 one ups you, because PS5 can fully allocate around 10 GB to the game (assuming the rest of the physics, sound and simulation totals to a 3.5 GB memory, which most likely don't. so this game most likely uses 1.5 gb worth of simulation+sound+physics data on PS5 (similar to most lastgen games and this game has nothing nextgen about it), and 12 GB of pure GPU data so that it can use 4K hints+ray tracing (im talking about 4k ray tracing mode) from this perspective, you'rea nearly 3 GB short of required memory to match PS5 settings. Although 3080 would roflstomp PS5 in terms of raw power, it would so with N64 textures (and let's be honest, the game could be smarter and unload textures that are far far away, and most of the time you don't notice it. Unreal Engine 4 is doing this so most people never see degraded textures, or notice them. Jedi Survivor for example good in this regard. FOrspoken is horrible. I have no idea why it would unload textures next to your character. Go figure!)

so even if yo uhad a 12 GB GPU, which with the %10 safety buffer gives you usable 10.8 GB VRAM budget, you would still have troubles at 4K hints+ray tracing and end up with unloaded textures.

as I said, 12 gb gpus are a scam as well. 16 or bust. I'm not even delving into additional ray tracing options or things like FSR3/DLSS3.

Tho, at least you can get away without ray tracing. Again, a bummer.

Tho 1440p dlss quality should give you much better image quality than performance mode of PS5 with even higher framerates aveage. But if you try matching quality mode, u would still get better perf but bad textures.

Again, it is both a problem of 3080 and the game. it does have a texture streamer but a horrible one.

Last edited:

Keihart

well thats weird, the game looks better on movement with DLSS than using any combinatio of the AMD fram generation and upscaling, depsite what the frame rate tells me...thats trippy.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I told you , the game will use native res hints + buffers to make upscaling beliveable. that is why 4k is so intensive on VRAM

unrelated but see;

same render resolution, but do a close inspection, you will see 4k dlss performance loads

- better textures
- better lods
- higher quality assets in general
- has 4k hints (that helps temporal construction greatly, you can see trees turn into mush with 1080p native hints, but look so great with 4k hints)

do you think these come for free?? noo. it uses vram, naturally xd

since the game has a hardcap of %90 VRAM (%10 safety buffer), it will realistically at a maximum will use 8.8-9 GB of your VRAM. Sadly this is where PS5 one ups you, because PS5 can fully allocate around 10 GB to the game (assuming the rest of the physics, sound and simulation totals to a 3.5 GB memory, which most likely don't. so this game most likely uses 1.5 gb worth of simulation+sound+physics data on PS5 (similar to most lastgen games and this game has nothing nextgen about it), and 12 GB of pure GPU data so that it can use 4K hints+ray tracing (im talking about 4k ray tracing mode) from this perspective, you'rea nearly 3 GB short of required memory to match PS5 settings. Although 3080 would roflstomp PS5 in terms of raw power, it would so with N64 textures (and let's be honest, the game could be smarter and unload textures that are far far away, and most of the time you don't notice it. Unreal Engine 4 is doing this so most people never see degraded textures, or notice them. Jedi Survivor for example good in this regard. FOrspoken is horrible. I have no idea why it would unload textures next to your character. Go figure!)

so even if yo uhad a 12 GB GPU, which with the %10 safety buffer gives you usable 10.8 GB VRAM budget, you would still have troubles at 4K hints+ray tracing and end up with unloaded textures.

as I said, 12 gb gpus are a scam as well. 16 or bust. I'm not even delving into additional ray tracing options or things like FSR3/DLSS3.

Tho, at least you can get away without ray tracing. Again, a bummer.

Tho 1440p dlss quality should give you much better image quality than performance mode of PS5 with even higher framerates aveage. But if you try matching quality mode, u would still get better perf but bad textures.

Again, it is both a problem of 3080 and the game. it does have a texture streamer but a horrible one.
I believe you now.
DLSS/FSR is not as free as I thought

Hugare

Tested it for a few minutes before leaving to work this morning

I'll be honest, it's kinda great. I hate how FSR look, and having a Nvidia card I always choose DLSS for obvious reasons.

But damn, I'm now eager to see FSR 3 in Cyberpunk. I played some Forspoken with my Dualsense, and I didnt feel any lag.

Seeing it go from 40 to 90-100 was absolutely nuts.

Seems like AMD have finally found something to compete with Nvidia.

We will see if Nvidia will come up for a better excuse for my 3060 not having frame generation

Kataploom

Gold Member
Infamous was a far better game though. Forspoken pissed me off because it was also running on the shit Luminous engine. It's outdated and horrifc. I can't stand super janky games and Forspoken is essentially a jankville. I barely managed to finish FF15 because it ran on same shit engine. Kingdom Hearts 3 switched to Unreal Engine 4 because Lumunous was so shit.

They made Frey ugly as fuck. The real actor is far prettier and looks good. Whoever was responsible for her 3d model doesn't know how to capture a likeness of a character at all. They ruined her. Majority of female characters these days suck ass for reasons you already know why and I am not going to go into. Aloy is ugly as sin and annoying imo.

Uncharted has good female characters for the most part and Ellie was good too from TLOU. Abby though was kind of a mixed bag. Mass Effect has good female characters but the OG BioWare doesn't exist anymore.

Forspoken now supports FSR3 Frame Gen (Update patch 1.22), free demo if you want to try it

Man we want to talk about fucking FSR3. Open a new thread or use the OT or whatever.

Hugare

Sure, but I mean, at least this one seems competitive enough

FSR is really shit when compared to DLSS, specially now with DLSS 3.5. So Nvidia doesnt have much to worry about.

But AMD's frame generation seems really good so far, so Nvidia's excuse for it not being present on older cards is now shittier than ever before

Forspoken, the turd that keeps getting polished....
I have no clue why Square is wasting their time and money giving this game FSR3 when there are far better games that can benefit from this. They are treating this game as if people are still buying it or it's some sort of a live service title with multiplayer.

Last edited:

SolidQ

Frame Pacing and Recommended VSync Settings
It is recommended to use AMD FSR 3 with VSync, as when enabled, frame pacing relies on the expected refresh rate of the monitor for a consistent high-quality gaming experience. Additionally, it is recommended that Enhanced Sync is disabled in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ settings, as it can interfere with frame pacing logic. A game using AMD FSR 3 in this configuration will show a “zigzag” pattern on frame time timing graphs in performance measuring tools such as AMD OCAT. This is completely expected and does not indicate uneven frame pacing.

FSR 3 can also be used with VSync disabled, for example for performance measurement, but the experience will be less optimal due to frame tearing inherent to not having VSync enabled.

Wonder how many people who came here just to post "sHiT gAmE y uPdAtE" actually even played it......

Probably not many. Most people wrote the game off when the whole dialog/too much chatter/banter drama was going on before release simply because of some bad trailers and marketing.
Some played the demo for a short time then wrote it off.
The rest just hate the game because, why not?........it's the mood of the gaming community.

Last edited:
They have some serious balls to offer a demo for this game. It's like anti-marketing. Nobody will buy it after trying it.
I was passing on this game until I played the demo. I fell for the hate. The game is actually decent. With all the games available, I know it’s sometimes easier to just hate a game to justify not playing it, but this one isn’t bad.

AGRacing

Frame Pacing and Recommended VSync Settings
It is recommended to use AMD FSR 3 with VSync, as when enabled, frame pacing relies on the expected refresh rate of the monitor for a consistent high-quality gaming experience. Additionally, it is recommended that Enhanced Sync is disabled in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ settings, as it can interfere with frame pacing logic. A game using AMD FSR 3 in this configuration will show a “zigzag” pattern on frame time timing graphs in performance measuring tools such as AMD OCAT. This is completely expected and does not indicate uneven frame pacing.

FSR 3 can also be used with VSync disabled, for example for performance measurement, but the experience will be less optimal due to frame tearing inherent to not having VSync enabled.
Yeah. There are some videos "showcasing" the tech already that don't understand this.

My takeaways w/a 7900 XTX.
Frame Generation in Forspoken with anti lag + enabled felt very responsive. With "Native AA" mode (no upscale) I honestly couldn't immediately see a downside. I went from framerates in the 80s on ultra to damn near my monitor limit of 165. If you were to capture a fast moving frame and compare them you'd probably see issues there... but in real world play I don't believe you'd notice. It's excellent.

I think this will have giant implications for a PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
BTW, I tested the demo... input lag is slightly noticiable but holy moly if I didn't end up thinking it had less input lag in some moments, idk if that was placebo but it definitely felt like so.

And yes, 60 must be minimum, fluctuating 35-50 fps is just a juddery mess, specially if we're disabling Freesync.

winjer

Gold Member
How does that person have FMF at driver level? WTF?

It's a beta driver. Only for 7000 series.
I posted it on the other thread.
But here is the link:

It's a beta driver. Only for 7000 series.
I posted it on the other thread.
But here is the link:

I have a feeling some boffin is already working on a driver hack to get it working on all AMD cards.

RNG

Tried it and it was...
Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Too bad we can't combine DLSS2 with AMD's FG. Hope they add FG it to Starfield.

Top Bottom