• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

eso76

Morgan-Freeman-in-Oblivion-2013-Movie-Image-2.jpg

"End this war"

Amazing batch of pics, but again

Fm4's is considerably higher poly :p

kamkor

Neo Member
There's one thing forza has that I really enjoy. Video export to fm.net. I really enjoyed making montages in fm3 and fm4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t--3y9QdqTI

GT looks more realistic, but Forza is a better game. I also think it's physics are much more natural. Physics might be a bit simplified, but I felt no "wtf" moments like in GT. If only forza steering wheel support was better.. I am dissapointed with fanatec csr. FFB is not even close to lfs, netkar pro or ac tech demo. Also the fact that turn10 pretended they didn't know about 900 degrees bug.. What a joke.

eso76

But again, the GT5 ones look more realistic :p

Not arguing that.
Gt5 photo travel mode is incredible.

BTW, should have made a comparison using fm4 homespace mode (much better lighting)

It's even missing details

Relax :)
This is not a vs thread anymore, it's a thread celebrating both games
Yeah, it's missing parking sensors. Strange, Forza cars always have those modeled when they're there irl

eso76

Right, sensors in gt5, indicators in fm4.
Modelers worked their asses off in both games, amazing job

Bonus pic
forza178ouxus.jpeg

Right, sensors in gt5, indicators in fm4.
Modelers worked their asses off in both games, amazing job

Bonus pic

5987761261_12bb9dc6f0_z.jpg

5344063688_ef36987b82_b.jpg

Still no where as good looking as GT5.

cars%20bokeh%20gran%20turismo%20mercedes%20benz%20reflections%20gran%20turismo%205%20gt%20mercedes%20sls%20amg%20gt5%20street%201_www.wallpaperhi.com_45.jpg

if you laugh at my forza customized lambo pic, what do you do at my gt5 non-customizable lambo pic?

It was supposed to be a joke on pimp my ride because they used to have such ridiculous designs like Gt chrome cars

The FM4 Mercedes pic looks awesome but yet again the lighting in GT5 makes a lower poly model look superior to a higher poly model.

well it is gt5, I just took them like 20mins ago. latest patch and all.
and looks worse than photomode when you actually ..you know ...play it

No shit (spoken with no ill intent :).

p3tran

Banned
Photo travel should only be compared to home space pics
Can't wait for next gen gt's and FM's :)
personally I dont give a shit about the various non-gameplay modes these both games can go to in order to basically provide bullshots.
example, I would gladly trade the entire "home space" thing - where basically all I can do is see how my racing game would look like, if microsoft didnt want to milk my ass for 10 years with the fucking 360 -
for just a couple more of real life racing tracks.
but I guess thats just me...

well, it looks bad in photomode too, but its fuckme ugly realtime :)
isnt it?

Hmm, not really, it's not "fuckme ugly".

Not that much worse than this at least:

Car_Model_Replay_000.bmp.jpg

And just as a reminder of how GT5 looks in "realtime" ingame:

inb4 "OMG that almost unnoticeable tearing!!1". It's from the first version(s) of the game, so yeah, you can save it.

Mascot

That's an amazing image.

personally I dont give a shit about the various non-gameplay modes these both games can go to in order to basically provide bullshots.
example, I would gladly trade the entire "home space" thing - where basically all I can do is see how my racing game would look like, if microsoft didnt want to milk my ass for 10 years with the fucking 360 -
for just a couple more of real life racing tracks.
but I guess thats just me...

Nope, it's not just you. I concur.

p3tran

Banned
Hmm, not really, it's not "fuckme ugly".

Not that much worse than this at least:
oh, it is worse my friend. much worse.
no way there is anybody in this world that may come here and say that gt5 on "original" tracks and 800 of total cars can be compared.

And just as a reminder of how GT5 looks in "realtime" ingame:
inb4 "OMG that almost unnoticeable tearing!!1". It's from the first version(s) of the game, so yeah, you can save it.
unfortuantely technical problems still exist in gt5, even though so much time and so many updates have passed.

today I was having a run at current seasonal events. namely the first current one, time trial 61, deep forest with alfa c8.
basically we are talking about a ps2 track with a single car. right?
also, I play bumper view, so no in-car dashboard rendering overhead.
eh, the fucking game would tear after a while as I was running very close to my ..ghost.

p3tran

Banned
are you trying to defend the ps2 tracks then? :)
even forgetting how they look, are you satisfied with the track design and precision?

edit: I see you added more pics... lets see, you are saying that DEEP FOREST GT5 does not look worse or even looks better than ..what pics you got there?
I think the first one is from BERNESE ALPS, and the second from FUJIMI?

hahaha
well, NO!

Best thing to do in this thread now is to post images of both games but remove the watermarks somehow.

Be interesting to see how people react to the top shots if they don't know where they've come from.

Mascot

This looks so much better:

Not in static images, but a rock-solid 60fps with zero screen tearing means that - to me - it looks a hell of a lot better in motion.

When GT6 on PS4 eliminates these problems there will simply be no argument to make, unless Turn 10 really do work miracles with their lighting and shaders on FM5.

Like I said elsewhere, it is a great time to be a racing game fan.

You're seeing things buddy.

TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

4997218700_933aa498e7_z.jpg

trial-mountain-circuit_10.jpg

Worst capture I've found:

granturismo5_229829b.jpg

vs

forza-motorsport-4-xbox-360-2.jpg

Yeah Mascot, it is a great time to be a racing fan. You're overreacting about tearing though, it's not that noticeable in GT5 compared to most games I've played. Also 1280x1080 > 1280x720 if we're going to be like that :p

Mascot

Yeah Mascot, it is a great time to be a racing fan. You're overreacting about tearing though, it's not that noticeable in GT5 compared to most games I've played.

I wish it wasn't noticeable, I really do. Ditto with the frame drops. It might be a placebo but things did seem improved after the latest update, but every time the frame rate stutters and every time the screen rips I get jerked out of the moment.

Kaz's ambition for GT5 is to be applauded, but the game does fall importantly short in a couple of key areas. V-synch/60 should have been absolutely prioritised during development, and concessions made in other areas to ensure that it was achieved flawlessly at all times. There seems to be a fundamental flaw in the graphics engine because both tearing and frame stutters can happen with just one car on track in bumper view, ie at times of 'low stress'.

eattomorro

Neo Member
..and on that bombshell, we end the thread.

I dunno, looks kinda plasticky. Actually the blue paint doesn't look good at all.

Funny, guys who harp on FM4 cars not looking as good as GT never show fotos of the 800+ cars that are low res...I wonder why that is? At least Forza has something that GT doesn't...and that's consistency. The WHOLE game is good.

saladine1

I dunno, looks kinda plasticky. Actually the blue paint doesn't look good at all.

Funny, guys who harp on FM4 cars not looking as good as GT never show fotos of the 800+ cars that are low res...I wonder why that is? At least Forza has something that GT doesn't...and that's consistency. The WHOLE game is good.

Well, the reason why standard cars aren't always at the forefront of comparisons is because there's an unwritten rule that they don't count.

Not being a graphics guy, I don't mind those cars. But speaking from a critics point of view, it shouldn't have been included regardless whether they drive nicely or not.
I mean, imagine any other game where the consistency is way off. Usually, games of that nature are criticized harshly. So yeah, taking it in as a whole, it surely is a negative, well, at least to the objective eye.

I'm playing GT at the moment, is there a problem with my pedals or should the car slowly start accelerating when from a standstill when the brake is released?

Are there any calibration settings?

Nevermind, it fixed itself.

I swear I don't know what you guys see in the game outside the graphics and track list. Tyres, weight shifting and the suspension feels so numb and basic in comparison to Forza.

Top Bottom