• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

TEH-CJ

Banned
I noticed something guys

after the newest patch they improved the sound of majority of the cars but still haven't fixed the bmw m3, Skyline r33 and the wrx. Why is that?

those cars in particular must be a challenge? or hardware constraints prevent them from sounding better maybe. For 3 years now they haven't been able to improve those cars.

Someone was moaning that we never post pics of Standard Cars. So I'll post some of mine (Only the colours have been altered, for artistic effect)

6fHGCJb.jpg

BEaclJW.jpg

pinjnZy.jpg

sbWOzba.jpg

Blfi3Ut.jpg

JvT4M2V.jpg

Although not ideal. I really don't have a problem with Standard Cars. When I'm racing, I hardly even notice the difference.

Mascot

This is of FAR greater importance in a racing sim than a stable frame rate with no screen tearing. Why can't you FM4 fanboys realise this? Kaz is the master of resource allocation. Dan is just some boggle-eyed beardy-weirdy who knows FUCK ALL about ANYTHING.

Emwitus

Good lawd. That killed my ears. Just noise...the tires especially are excruciating. It's better than GT as far as being able to distinguish the engine sounds and gear changes but far from realistic. Again, listen to the video i posted...everything just blends in(tires, engine, gear changes etc etc)...Ofcourse the sounds are captured from real video....

How on earth can you play a racing game in chase cam?

I use it when the car is really pretty.

Although not ideal. I really don't have a problem with Standard Cars. When I'm racing, I hardly even notice the difference.

The cockpit view just kills it for me.

Also, there should be a rule in this thread about only posting gameplay shots. Who cares about Autovista or photomode if it's not a true representation of the game?

Snubbers

It is mainly for players using the controller and you can turn it off from the settings.

Indeed, the 'other' Youtube driving 'assist' video shows the controller/270/900 wheels with different driving styles..

The controller has some very obvious thing going on, the wheels seems pretty 'normal'..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3Czc7cXQg

Although it's worth bearing in mind that the drift video above, he countersteering on full lock and modulating the throttle, which will allow control of the drift, you'd have to really have telemetry or external camera to see if it's the usual widely talked about assist..

Some lovely photo's the last few pages, I still admire PD's lighting and shaders on the cars.. simply awesome.. Not that it matters when I'm playing the game, I find the scenery quite 'fake' in GT5 as much as I find the cars more 'fake' looking in FM4

FordGTGuy

Banned
If everything goes good tomorrow I'm going to be getting a PS3 and I'll try to pick up a copy of GT5, we will see though.

Good lawd. That killed my ears. Just noise...the tires especially are excruciating. It's better than GT as far as being able to distinguish the engine sounds and gear changes but far from realistic. Again, listen to the video i posted...everything just blends in(tires, engine, gear changes etc etc)...Ofcourse the sounds are captured from real video....

In what world do you live in that tire squeal sounds pleasing?

Indeed, the 'other' Youtube driving 'assist' video shows the controller/270/900 wheels with different driving styles..

The controller has some very obvious thing going on, the wheels seems pretty 'normal'..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3Czc7cXQg

Although it's worth bearing in mind that the drift video above, he countersteering on full lock and modulating the throttle, which will allow control of the drift, you'd have to really have telemetry or external camera to see if it's the usual widely talked about assist..

Some lovely photo's the last few pages, I still admire PD's lighting and shaders on the cars.. simply awesome.. Not that it matters when I'm playing the game, I find the scenery quite 'fake' in GT5 as much as I find the cars more 'fake' looking in FM4

For the 200th time IN THIS THREAD the glitch that caused what happened in the above video was fixed and is no longer in the game.

Mascot

If everything goes good tomorrow I'm going to be getting a PS3 and I'll try to pick up a copy of GT5, we will see though.

Be sure to pick up the Academy Edition if you do (available for £10 over here). It'll save you endless updates and also comes with Spa (and some superfluous crap). Shame it's not got ALL the DLC with it, but it's worth getting just for Spa.

Are you listening, Turn 10? Spa.

SPA.

Snubbers

For the 200th time IN THIS THREAD the glitch that caused what happened in the above video was fixed and is no longer in the game.

Has every 'controller' assist been patched out? Before getting too defensive, I like Forza (over GT), but I play both, and have no problems admitting where things are different, no matter which game that be..

I know there was some extra controller stuff mentioned at various points when the steering 'glitch' was brought to light, and there is no problem with that, Forza is very good at equalising controller/wheel usages, I regularly race online with people that still use a controller and are really good with it, I just stick to the wheel as that is my own preference..

This is of FAR greater importance in a racing sim than a stable frame rate with no screen tearing. Why can't you FM4 fanboys realise this? Kaz is the master of resource allocation. Dan is just some boggle-eyed beardy-weirdy who knows FUCK ALL about ANYTHING.

Wow, are you okay man? Take it easy buddy.

photo_f604i___gran_turismo_5_by_hustler098-d4hnuae.jpg

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Be sure to pick up the Academy Edition if you do (available for £10 over here). It'll save you endless updates and also comes with Spa (and some superfluous crap). Shame it's not got ALL the DLC with it, but it's worth getting just for Spa.

Are you listening, Turn 10? Spa.

SPA.

SpaHurst

Get it right :p

eso76

Has every 'controller' assist been patched out? Before getting too defensive, I like Forza (over GT), but I play both, and have no problems admitting where things are different, no matter which game that be..

I know there was some extra controller stuff mentioned at various points when the steering 'glitch' was brought to light, and there is no problem with that

People should understand that you would never be able to play a racing sim with a controller without some form of assist, unless you want to try having to deal with an analogue stick always simulating linear lock-to-lock 900 degrees steering.

Try playing a racing game where pushing the analogue stick all the way in either direction, equals turning your car's wheel 450° while doing 100 mph.

But you still need 900 degrees (IE, for countersteering) so there needs to be some assist.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
People should understand that you would never be able to play a racing sim with a controller without some form of assist, unless you want to try having to deal with an analogue stick always simulating linear lock-to-lock 900 degrees steering.

Try playing a racing game where pushing the analogue stick all the way in either direction, equals turning your car's wheel 450° while doing 100 mph.

But you still need 900 degrees (IE, for countersteering) so there needs to be some assist.

In FM4 Simulation steering mode.

You get speed sensitive steering which allows slightly more angle than the tyres can handle on turn in. Counter steering a slide is 1:1.

Ty4on

It is possible after Sonic 06. LFS at least was playable with an Xbox 360 controller being careful not to plow the front wheels :p

eso76

It is possible after Sonic 06. LFS at least was playable with an Xbox 360 controller being careful not to plow the front wheels :p

movin the stick by microns is not my idea of fun, though :p
Now, on a Fanatec 900° steering assist shouldn't be there at all.

Unfortunately, i was never able to test what the patch did to simulation steering with a Fanatec wheel, since my pedals broke and i have been waiting someone to confirm whether the PWTS is going to work with next gen consoles or not before buying a new set of pedals.

They need to up the reflections resolution, the shadow resolution, the alpha effects resolution, improve the HDR, streamline the wet transitions (so it gets wet and dry dynamically in every track, like in FOX Engine), wet car shaders, improve sounds, improve physics (better aero simulation for example), create more online options, improve the track creator... and more.

But I'm afraid the thing I want them more to improve is the GT mode. I would like the A-Spec points from GT4 to return (I never had the chance to play GT4 much :(), a more organic difficulty level, qualifications... They could implement 2 difficulty modes if they want, but the GT mode in GT5 was kind of a let down for me.

Then they started the seasonal events awesomely, with tight races, but people (surprise) complained so they went back to easy-mode races. Meh.

People also complained about the chase camera when they changed it in an update so they went back to the old (current) camera. I wish they would've left both in the game :/

xam3l

Since everyone is posting pictures of both games:

The thing that bugs me the most its not with the games but with the platforms. If I am a couple of weeks away from my PS3 there is a bunch of updates when I turn it on and all my instant interest of taking pictures just goes away.

If I am a couple of weeks away from my PS3 there is a bunch of updates when I turn it on and all my instant interest of taking pictures just goes away.

If you think that's bad. My XBL Gold account expired so I can't even save photos in Forza anymore lol (And I'm not renewing it just to upload photos)

xam3l

If you think that's bad. My XBL Gold account expired so I can't even save photos in Forza anymore lol (And I'm not renewing it just to upload photos)

I got your point. But I can still take pictures and save them(you can save them on HDD). Eventually when I get gold (for another bazillion reasons) I upload them.

I guess the irony in my post was a little too subtle for some.

Don't flatter yourself, I was speaking about you in particular I would have quoted ya ;). I'm talking about this entire thread, it all cracks me up with the aggression and anger and capslock posting going on. I guess it's weird to me because I've never been that vested into videogames. After a while I just suddenly stop giving a fuck what other think of my preferred game.

/shrug.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That sounds fucking terrible and nothing like a rotary. Sounds like something out of the commodore 64 days. Jesus christ my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSN3VQBmzUU

Sounds like a rotary to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxJwOewA2I

That looped tire screech sound effect lol (When you notice it, you can't un-notice it)

It's called tire "squeal" for a reason, it's usually annoying as all get out.

That 8-bit sound, only in Forza games these days...

Killitwithfire.jpg

It's called a Rotary engine smartass, they all sound that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocZ0veZjiBs

FordGTGuy

Banned
This picture is unreal in how real it looks. Seriously I can't find a place where it shows its a game.

You're blind and might need to get glasses, I don't have a problem telling although that could be due to the fact that I'm using a 40" monitor.

photo_f604i___gran_turismo_5_by_hustler098-d4hnuae.jpg~original

Not to mention the license plate is like a black hole surrounded by reflective surfaces and just looks out of place.

Damn you guys can spot things so much better than me :(

Maybe if the pic is enlarged it would be easier. Door panel seems the most obvious give away as someone above mentioned.

Perkel

Banned
You're blind and might need to get glasses, I don't have a problem telling although that could be due to the fact that I'm using a 40" monitor.

photo_f604i___gran_turismo_5_by_hustler098-d4hnuae.jpg~original

Not to mention the license plate is like a black hole surrounded by reflective surfaces and just looks out of place.

He is not blind this picture looks real. There is no visible aliasing and sure reflection is a little incorrect but still image is very convincing to eye which didn't play GT5 a lot.

Top Bottom