• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

saladine1

How come I can't take photos like these?
I'm fucking hopeless.

5208937318_3c82a23b7b_b.jpg

5205939180_b99ac4218d_b.jpg

5212652329_c71a51ace9_z.jpg

5211335147_77066d118b_b.jpg

nrburgringgpf3.jpg

eso76

Forza 4 uses the same models for photomode as it does for homespace.

yup, but it uses a better lighting engine in homespace.

GT5 also uses a better lighting engine for photo travel, but the one it uses ingame is almost perfect too.

And i don't know about you guys, but i think the point in reviving this thread and comparing photomode pics was just in anticipation for next gen iteration of GT and FM.
I think we're just imagining what GT...7 and FM5 could look like.

paskowitz

FM4 players who own GT5 and vice versa. I am going to open an online room in GT5 called Room of John, Ch11 V35. You are all welcome to join to see how the other half lives.

Room will be up in about 5 min.

Not really.

Well, yeah, I know it looks better when more interesting things are showing on screen, but I wanted to pick an "average" shot. Not looking at a corner 100m away from the track, not London, Eiger or Spa either :p

@paskowitz Shame I have to leave in 15 minutes, I would so join you.

Mobius 1

FM4 players who own GT5 and vice versa. I am going to open an online room in GT5 called Room of John, Ch11 V35. You are all welcome to join to see how the other half lives.

Room will be up in about 5 min.

Damit I have to leave the house just now. How long will it be up?

How on earth can you play a racing game in chase cam?

Well I am a bumper cam guy for when I want to race and give a shit but if I am just casually driving around the ring or drifting or something then I like to use a chase camera and its useless in GT5. It should follow the momentum of the car and not be glued the rear bumper.

GT is the only racing game I can think that does that as well and I don't know why. Maybe its a clever way to not fully render the sides of your car because the camera doesn't move enough to let you see them.

Perkel

Banned
How on earth can you play a sim-racing game in chase cam?

fixed.

You either set all things to "arcade" mode or you suck in race. I was chase cam racer few years back (like 10) with NFS then NFS poshe happened and i needed to switch to bumper cam and later to cockpit view because I needed more feedback.

It is one of those things you learn when you start to learn sim racing games.

GT chase cam is from arcade point of view shitty because it is very stiff but that stiffness is giving you feedback better than lousy camera. You can get away with chase cam in GT4 but in GT5 on pro with harder cars like ford GT you need a lot of feedback to race with it at competitive level.

Artorias

Banned
fixed.

You either set all things to "arcade" mode or you suck in race. I was chase cam racer few years back (like 10) with NFS then NFS poshe happened and i needed to switch to bumper cam and later to cockpit view because I needed more feedback.

GT chase cam is from arcade point of view shitty because it is very stiff but that stiffness is giving you feedback better than lousy camera. You can get away with chase cam in GT4 but in GT5 on pro with harder cars like ford GT you need a lot of feedback to race with it at competitive level.

Oh for sure, NFS and the like are much easier in chase because of the arcadey physics. I can see why some people would switch to chase in a sim, I was just surprised to hear anyone say they wanted it for a whole race.

saladine1

Dat gameplay sound

I tried to look at the side of my car in GT5 on gameplay but failed.

Wow, terrible.

You know, what makes the sounds even worse in GT are the shifting effects.
In most games, there's a slight delay between shifts. In this time, the revs drop slightly then picks up on the upshift. This makes the shifts sound gradual. In GT however, the majority of shifts don't have this slight delay which makes the shifts sound very strange indeed.

You know what's funny though, both games lack a number of simulations when it comes to the transmission.
In Forza for example, put your car into 3rd or 4th gear while stationary. Now, start accelerating. What happens is, the car slowly starts to build up it's revs. It starts gathering pace until finally you match the revs for that particular gear. What's missing?
Well, i'll tell you. GEARBOX JUDDER!
Now, NFS Pro Street isn't a sim game by any stretch. If you try the same experiement in that game guess what happens?
That's right, the gearbox judders. It jolts and vibrates as it struggles to get up into the correct rev range.

Thanks for reading saladine's 'Did You Know This Shit' for today.

You find any racing game that isn't GT5 odd or wrong no matter the reasoning...

Not true (I love how you keep making up stupid shit like that and then call ME a fanboy)

My top-ten favorite racing games this generation:

1. PGR4
2. DIRT 2
3. GT5
4. Forza 4
5. GRID
6. Midnight Club LA
7. SHIFT 2
8. Test Drive Unlimited 2
9. Forza Horizon
10. Morotstorm Apocalypse

Yes, I had more fun with Dirt 2, than GT5 (Mainly because I enjoy dirt racing more)

FordGTGuy

Banned
Not true (I love how you keep making up stupid shit like that and then call ME a fanboy)

My top-ten favorite racing games this generation:

1. PGR4
2. DIRT 2
3. GT5
4. Forza 4
5. GRID
6. Midnight Club LA
7. SHIFT 2
8. Test Drive Unlimited 2
9. Forza Horizon
10. Morotstorm Apocalypse

Yes, I had more fun with Dirt 2, than GT5 (Mainly because I enjoy dirt racing more)

You might want to go back through this thread and read through all your posts again, I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion. It just seems that you refuse to accept any real criticism that is put fourth towards GT5.

Emwitus

You might want to go back through this thread and read through all your posts again, I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion. It just seems that you refuse to accept any real criticism that is put fourth towards GT5.

Are we really trying to figure out who's the bigger franchise fanboy? LOL Cause we all know everyone on this thread is biased in one way or the other LOL

Emwitus

Wow, terrible.

In most games, there's a slight delay between shifts. In this time, the revs drop slightly then picks up on the upshift. This makes the shifts sound gradual. In GT however, the majority of shifts don't have this slight delay which makes the shifts sound very strange indeed.

You know what's funny though, both games lack a number of simulations when it comes to the transmission.
In Forza for example, put your car into 3rd or 4th gear while stationary. Now, start accelerating. What happens is, the car slowly starts to build up it's revs. It starts gathering pace until finally you match the revs for that particular gear. What's missing?
Now, NFS Pro Street isn't a sim game by any stretch. If you try the same experiement in that game guess what happens?
That's right, the gearbox judders. It jolts and vibrates as it struggles to get up into the correct rev range.

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqwbcIY96Vo

This will make you feel better. The guy edited out GTs sound for real sound effects. I don't think there's any game that sounds like that.

EDIT: Gaddang, watching the video, PD really should rework the sound LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GqwbcIY96Vo#t=42s

Check that out. Everything in the video is now perfect.

Well I am a bumper cam guy for when I want to race and give a shit but if I am just casually driving around the ring or drifting or something then I like to use a chase camera and its useless in GT5. It should follow the momentum of the car and not be glued the rear bumper.

GT is the only racing game I can think that does that as well and I don't know why. Maybe its a clever way to not fully render the sides of your car because the camera doesn't move enough to let you see them.

No, no no no. The chase camera is perfect. It's fixed. I hate chase cameras that are all loose and makes you dizzy.

fixed.

Or you are the minority. I have driven racing sims for the last 16-17 years and i'm always using the chase cam. I just need the peripheral view. I can't get used to the inside or bumper views. I just can't, specially when chasing ghosts and stuff.

I know this opinion is a blasphemy in the sim crowd, but cockpit view is just not like it is in real life, and i hate those low angle bumper cams.

Remember Virtua Racing? I used to drive with the helicopter cam, because i am this crazy.

Shaneus

u jelly?

Take note ladies and gentlemen this is a realistic photo.
Super Mario Bros. 1-1 reflections?

Wow, terrible.

If there's one thing I love about you, it's that you're one of the few who holds audio in as high importance as graphics (possibly even higher). Seems to get overlooked in this thread. That GT5/FM4 comparison video is just pathetic.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Forza's tire sqeal makes my ears bleed.

That's a sound I think GT5 does better.

Lets see, a dynamic entirely realistic sound or a constant screech regardless of anything.

Know that whole "who is a bigger fanboy" argument, this is why you win.

I think what you're referring to is (well, what it's called in my circles) is laboring the engine. It doesn't sound right in FM4, it's just the engine volume at low revs turned up. It doesn't sound or feel like the engine is going to explode. As for Transmission sound simulations, Forza does model transmission wobble quite nicely. It only does this by sound though, it isn't replicated through the physics.

Know that whole "who is a bigger fanboy" argument, this is why you win.

What is it with the Forza fans always calling people fanboys in this thread?

Can't we have a debate without resorting to name calling? You two Forza guys do it far more than anyone else.

Rather than just yelling "Fanboy", maybe you guys could be more constructive with your arguments.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBfv0dHlEg

That dynamic entirely realistic sound!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2PhsLZHFPI

They're both the exact same shit as far as it being dynamic.

GT the only difference is number of wheels that have lost traction.

In Forza, speed of the slide and angle of the slide make a difference. That's not even getting into the whole part of tyre noise where drifting isn't even involved. You can hear the tyres scrub when understeering in Forza. You can hear when they are right on the limit. That's all because T10 took a Tesla sports car and used it to record direct tyre noises from a range of different tyres.

GT the only difference is number of wheels that have lost traction.

In Forza, speed of the slide and angle of the slide make a difference. That's not even getting into the whole part of tyre noise where drifting isn't even involved. You can hear the tyres scrub when understeering in Forza. You can hear when they are right on the limit. That's all because T10 took a Tesla sports car and used it to record direct tyre noises from a range of different tyres.

Wrong again! Did you even bothered to watch the videos?

Top Bottom