• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

FordGTGuy

Banned
On the subject of crap reflections

1hSANsJ.jpg

This boys and girls is how to be a troll/fanboy.

He is not blind this picture looks real. There is no visible aliasing and sure reflection is a little incorrect but still image is very convincing to eye which didn't play GT5 a lot.

There is a ton of visible ailising on my screen... The picture "looks" real but looks can definitely be deceiving.

Nevermind the fact that it's a photomode picture that has been downscaled...

nOoblet16

This boys and girls is how to be a troll/fanboy.

There is a ton of visible ailising on my screen... The picture "looks" real but looks can definitely be deceiving.

Nevermind the fact that it's a photomode picture that has been downscaled...

There is no aliasing, if you see any then it's the compression artefacts. Photomode shots are supersampled and devoid of any aliasing.

FordGTGuy

Banned
There is no aliasing, if you see any then it's the compression artefacts. Photomode shots are supersampled and devoid of any aliasing.

Well that's a lie.. Just because something is supersampled doesn't mean that all the ailising will be gone entirely.

Also even if you can't see it(I can most likely because I'm using a 40" monitor) It still doesn't help the muddy reflections and the chrome reflections on the rims.

Okay, just to set the record straight. Let me ask...

Pointing out flaws in GT5 is fine. But pointing out flaws in Forza is trolling/fanboy?

Okay.

There is a difference between pointing out flaws and trolling... what you did was troll...

You've already been apart of the discussions in this thread where we've agree that GT5 looks better and has better lighting/reflection. You weren't pointing out a flaw you were making fun of the game...

Perkel

Banned
that was the plan all along. pd was really thinking for future iterations while building the content for gt 5.

They just need to work more on tracks even more lighting and IQ.

Forza5 will have problems though. Forza cars especially insides needs more work on shaders because mostly those are simply not convincing. It is not only lack of proper AO but also how materials looks off.

Same could be said about pain colors Forza cars use. Some looks perfect but other can look off.

Well that's a lie.. Just because something is supersampled doesn't mean that all the ailising will be gone entirely.

Also even if you can't see it(I can most likely because I'm using a 40" monitor) It still doesn't help the muddy reflections and the chrome reflections on the rims.

I have 40' and there is no aliasing. Only compression artifacts.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Let's be clear about one thing, none of these pictures in this thread look like the actual games in gameplay. There is still a lot of room for improvement so it's funny to see people say that there is nothing to upgrade to with the PS4...

I have 40' and there is no aliasing. Only compression artifacts.

How can you tell after it's been compressed? There is no real way to sit back and say there is none if you can't even tell there was any in the first place.

adelante

GT5 has so much attention to detail when it comes to visual effects (shadow casts on smoke, being one of the more impressive effect to me) but I don't get why they didn't go with the framebuffer trick for bonnet reflections. Nevermind not having other cars reflected off the hood (with so many other racers after PGR4 doing it, there's no excuse the lack of such tho), but those low-res reflections are pretty ugly imho

FordGTGuy

Banned
Okay, here is a full 1080p shot from GT5.

Point out all the aliasing (Bear in mind it has jpeg compression)

All that I could make out is boxed in red, all of it is small and most of it is barely noticeable but it's there.

I'm sure I could have found more if the car wasn't the only thing in the picture that was in focus.

Perkel

Banned
GT5 has so much attention to detail when it comes to visual effects (shadow casts on smoke, being one of the more impressive effect to me) but I don't get why they didn't go with the framebuffer trick for bonnet reflections. Nevermind not having other cars reflected off the hood (with so many other racers after PGR4 doing it, there's no excuse the lack of such tho), but those low-res reflections are pretty ugly imho

Reflections are not real reflections. Cubemaps are reflected not actual track. This is why there is no reflection of other cars and parts of car like mirrors. As you said sometimes reflections can look a bit ugly but most of the time they look right.

All that I could make out is boxed in red, all of it is small and most of it is barely noticeable but it's there.

That are again compression artifacts. You can easly see this because near "aliased" high contrast area there are other weird pixels

RankoSD

It's called a Rotary engine smartass, they all sound that way.
It's not about the car, but general sound on replay in Forza.

I can't believe I need to explain this, just watch the clip again @0:57s, what's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70eo7eFlas

It's like 97' all over again, computer with a slow CPU trying to run some racing game, and the game stutters including the sound, so you hear the steps in the samples...

It's beyond bad...

Snubbers

Okay, here is a full 1080p shot from GT5.

All photo mode stuff has masses of AA applied, they've always looked clean to me, I think he must mean all the in-game frame grabs or something.

I can't believe I need to explain this, just watch the clip again @0:57s, what's that?

It's like 97' all over again, computer with a slow CPU trying to run some racing game, and the game stutters including the sound, so you hear the steps in the samples...

It's beyond bad...

All I hear is the guy on/off the throttle at 0:57, rotaries have a dry sound, I don't think it's perfect by a long way, but if you think it's beyond bad, then you clearly have an odd set of ears.. What do you think of the GT5?
e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ8Xf-3wLwc

eso76

just stumbled upon this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlQWaJ4INE

Video shows closeups of a number of cars in GT5 phototravel-ingame-FM4 (photomode of course). Mixed and interesting results.

Seems like a biased (in FM4 favour) video at first, but in many cases it doesn't try to hide those instances where fm4 clearly looks FAR worse (F40 engine, headlights on a number of cars).
Well, one thing's for sure. FM4 exhaust tips are generally better :p

Regardless, would be interesting to know if photo travel models in GT5 are the best PD has, or if they recreated those cars to greater detail. I would think they would have used their best models for phototravel..

FordGTGuy

Banned

It's beyond bad...

Just watched 57 seconds.. it changes camera angles and he lets off the accelerator I heard no stutter. Youtube does little justice to the actual game sounds and there is no sound stuttering in the game itself.

Clearly you've never played Forza 4 and are only in this thread to stir crap up.

That's what you were complaining about? Really?

Someone said that they can't see a single thing that didn't make the picture look real.

I pointed it out.

Someone else tried to show that GT5's photomode have absolutely no aliasing due to supersampling, I called him a liar.

You gave me a picture and asked me to point out the aliasing.

I did so.

I never once complained about it I merely pointed it out.

just stumbled upon this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlQWaJ4INE

Video shows closeups of a number of cars in GT5 phototravel-ingame-FM4 (photomode of course). Mixed and interesting results.

Seems like a biased (in FM4 favour) video at first, but in many cases it doesn't try to hide those instances where fm4 clearly looks FAR worse (F40 engine, headlights on a number of cars).
Well, one thing's for sure. FM4 exhaust tips are generally better :p

Regardless, would be interesting to know if photo travel models in GT5 are the best PD has, or if they recreated those cars to greater detail. I would think they would have used their best models for phototravel..

Woooow that is clearly a troll account. The video is incredibly biased. The guy doesn't know how to take pictures in GT it seems. Someone needs to tell him there's a focus button.

Snubbers

Forza's F40 model is still one of the most hilarious things in modern gaming.

The problem with T10 is that they have some legacy stuff that is pretty ropey, and they don't seem to have the impetus to improve them..

I know they have a massive pipeline of new stuff they are always trying to add to the game, but the F40 is one car that deserves a re-model..

FordGTGuy

Banned
I challenge you to try pass F4 shot as a GT5 shot. Its obvious which game it comes from.

Rules: No filters or after effects. Don't zoom in to one specific part. I want to see the whole car.

Well he can't do it than because just like GT5 Forza 4's photomode automatically adds filters and it's dumb not to allow after effects considering every GT5 picture has them.

How is it biased?

It's all closeup and clear pictures of the same cars from each game..

Are you serious?

Oh wow. If you can't tell that video is biased then there is something seriously wrong with you. Either that or your a seriously delusional forza fanboy. Come on just look at the account, the dislikes or even better the video. The guy doesn't even focus the camera for the majority of the shots in GT5.

Well he can't do it than because just like GT5 Forza 4's photomode automatically adds filters and it's dumb not to allow after effects considering every GT5 picture has them.

I meant no photoshopping or adding effects like black and white, vintage etc. Just take a FM4 shot in its natural state.

Perkel

Banned
Hearing a Mercury Cougar that sounds like a vacuum is up there too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2V0MlHVG4

How is it biased?

It's all closeup and clear pictures of the same cars from each game..

You mean supercharger ?

Vacum sounds are mostly on cars that have low range rpm recorded and then pitched it up to simulate higher RPMs.

If anything this car suffer from bad mixing rather than vacum cleaner sound.

He doesn't mean better IQ simply lack of filters like black/white.

Ty4on

I've been playing around in Forza's photo mode - turns out adjusting exposure is key :p

A few shots from me, I'm not a great photographer but I thought these were some nice pictures of the Tesla Roadster.

Noticed in FM3 that with super high exposure and a camera angle hiding all of the bloom it looked quite good. It just "popped" much more than regular FM3.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Are you serious?

Oh wow. If you can't tell that video is biased then there is something seriously wrong with you. Either that or your a seriously delusional forza fanboy. Come on just look at the account, the dislikes or even better the video. The guy doesn't even focus the camera for the majority of the shots in GT5.

Between the blurry textures, compressed pictures, compressed youtube video and 1080p pictures in a 480p video it's kinda hard for me to tell if it's unfocused or not on some of these pictures at all.

You mean supercharger ?

Vacum sounds are mostly on cars that have low range rpm recorded and then pitched it up to simulate higher RPMs.

If anything this car suffer from bad mixing rather than vacum cleaner sound.

Did you just imply a 1967 Mercury Cougar is supercharged?....

That car sound is suffering from a bad case of someone recording a dirt devil to make it's sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJrXhDt3DbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I07SwrI89Hs

He doesn't mean better IQ simply lack of filters like black/white.

You guys couldn't make it anymore clear you haven't played Forza 4 it doesn't have a black/white filter it allows you to change the color intensity with a slider....

Between the blurry textures, compressed pictures, compressed youtube video and 1080p pictures in a 480p video it's kinda hard for me to tell if it's unfocused or not on some of these pictures at all.

You don't need the video to be in Hd to notice the guy did not focus the camera in GT5. I am sure anyone who has used the Gt5 camera or a normal camera can tell you that.

Are you serious?

What are you talking about? He's clearly very UNbiased!

Profile picture-
W3EfRJU.png

Comments-
wcV4SPN.jpg

adelante

Reflections are not real reflections. Cubemaps are reflected not actual track. This is why there is no reflection of other cars and parts of car like mirrors. As you said sometimes reflections can look a bit ugly but most of the time they look right.
That's... not at all what I was talking about. You respond as though I was putting into question the game's overall quality. "but most of the time they look right"? C'mon... if you're gonna defend your preferred racer, at least don't do it blindly and look at what I was specifically referring to: bonnet/hood using the previous framebuffer as a reflection map so you see everything, including other cars, reflected in it. GT5 doesn't have this feature...

Spat_triate

I have never played a Forza or GT game. When I look at Forza photos, I know I'm looking at a vidyagame. When I look at GT photos, sometimes I have to look again.

On with the madness.

Of course he is biased. I asked how the video was biased but no one in this thread said he wasn't biased.

A guy like that is really going to make an unbiased video isn't he lol.

The pics that are not focused:

Ferrari symbol, 2:03, 3:43....

The way your trying to act like the video is not biased and the shots are focused is very telling. Even the most hardcore forza fans will agree that the GT5 shots are not focused properly.

FordGTGuy

Banned
A guy like that is really going to make an unbiased video isn't he lol.

The pics that are not focused:

Ferrari symbol, 2:03, 3:43....

The way your trying to act like the video is not biased and the shots are focused is very telling. Even the most hardcore forza fans will agree that the GT5 shots are not focused properly.

Pyscho for the love of god I never said the video isn't biased... stop putting words in other people's mouths.

I notice what you're saying on these specified pictures now.

eso76

Are you serious?

I don't know, a biased guy would certainly avoid any F40 comparison. And those Nissan Z headlights and a few other things.
The "problem" with the pics where GT5 looks "worse" is not focus: that has nothing to do with it. GT5 cars are just generally lower poly, BUT also have a different and in many cases wiser poly management.
Some FM4 cars -the ones the game inherited from fm2, mostly- are missing some pretty obvious elements and look incomplete or just flat out wrong even from a distance.
GT5 models might use less polygons to 'smooth' things, but every element is modeled to the same accuracy so that from a typical distance they appear pretty much 100% perfect.

It also has to be said that the polys GT5 is lacking can easily be added automatically; smoothing creases and surfaces is something that any modeling software can easily and flawlessly do itself.

Makki

This FordGT guy lol... it's so funny to see you are just as passionate as you were many years ago at forzacentral and the fm forums. You would think he gets paid to cover his eyes and scream out love for Turn 10

FordGTGuy

Banned
This FordGT guy lol... it's so funny to see you are just as passionate as you were many years ago at forzacentral and the fm forums. You would think he gets paid to cover his eyes and scream out love for Turn 10

Is that why in a couple hours I'm seeing about buying a PS3 and GT5?

I'm not one to sit back and let people lie and crap on something without at least giving some opposition.

He's Dan Greenawalt. I'm calling it.

You're one to talk Farrow.

Top Bottom