• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Man, I've got to get my Horizon on again, and a free pack might be just the thing. Free is gud.

I keep listening to my custom Horizon playlist at work, and it just isn't the same without all the drifting ;P

I think maybe the Rally difficulty burned me out a bit, as I have to attain a manic zen laser-like focus state to stand a chance of acing those stages.

It is too bad that GT5 is still getting all the cool exclusive cars. I would have guessed, especially with the C7 Corvette, that MS would have the pull to be able to get that stuff first.

Or is there just a lack of caring from MS about these things? I mean, it definitely isn't free to develop that stuff but GT5 has got a multitude of exclusive new cars. Or maybe Forza/MS just doesn't advertise their exclusives as well. I mean, does Forza have ANY exclusives? Or cars they got first?

Shaneus

It is too bad that GT5 is still getting all the cool exclusive cars. I would have guessed, especially with the C7 Corvette, that MS would have the pull to be able to get that stuff first.

Or is there just a lack of caring from MS about these things? I mean, it definitely isn't free to develop that stuff but GT5 has got a multitude of exclusive new cars. Or maybe Forza/MS just doesn't advertise their exclusives as well. I mean, does Forza have ANY exclusives? Or cars they got first?
Forza has the exclusive on consistent framerate for consoles, does that count?

BADNED

Like GT, FM has first as well as long term exclusives.
To name a few examples for FM4: M5 F10, V12 Zagato or SRT Viper.
For FH: M6 F12, Eagle Speedster, Exige '12

There will be always one who will have something first but it will never be always the same one. Sometimes it's company A, next time company B and another time company C. That's how the industry works.

Oh its nice to come back and find the Rockies rally stages waiting for me. So damn gorgeous and uneven, those tracks. So many high speed jumps, wild off-camber rocky S-curves, and so many chances to perfect that perfect e-brake drift through gravel hairpins. Finally aced it too, coming in 1st, 2nd, 1st and 1st again for the win.

*tranquil look of racing satisfaction*

And a good way to end a session was looking up and downloading all the free stuff on the marketplace I missed. Not too shabby.

Enfinit

I've never played a Forza game before (actually, the last racing game I really got into was Gran Turismo 3 for PS2), however a buddy of mine talked me into getting Horizon.

This game is so. Freaking. Fun. And the soundtrack is amazing!

leng jai

I've been consistently floored by how nice this looks and how good it simply feels to play. Just driving around doing randomly is fun. It's probably the smoothest feeling 30fps game I've ever played.

The biggest disappointment though is the audio. The engine sounds are weak and crashes just sound pedestrian. This seems to be an issue with both Forza and GT games in general.

I've never played a Forza game before (actually, the last racing game I really got into was Gran Turismo 3 for PS2), however a buddy of mine talked me into getting Horizon.

This game is so. Freaking. Fun. And the soundtrack is amazing!

Great to hear, and if you get more into it, get Forza Motorsport 4. It's a more challenging game and better overall really, but Horizon is great for an introduction to the series.

I didn't even know this OT existed, feel bad I've been missing out...

Great to hear, and if you get more into it, get Forza Motorsport 4. It's a more challenging game and better overall really, but Horizon is great for an introduction to the series.

I didn't even know this OT existed, feel bad I've been missing out...
I don't know about that. If you're just after circuit racing on mostly flat tracks, sure*. Sound quality in Forza 4 really is something else though.

Its hard for me to go back to pure circuit racing when I can get free roam, on and off road racing events, open ended street racing and point to point rallying, and all of it in a gorgeous setting with a day/night cycle.

They really are two different beasts though, Horizon and Motorsport.

And better physics and damage models, detailed tuning and 60fps ;p

Arucardo

I don't know about that. If you're just after circuit racing on mostly flat tracks, sure*. Sound quality in Forza 4 really is something else though.

Its hard for me to go back to pure circuit racing when I can get free roam, on and off road racing events, open ended street racing and point to point rallying, and all of it in a gorgeous setting.

They really are too different beasts though, Horizon and Motorsport.

Only flat track I can think of in F4 is Hockenheim ;)

Its hard for me to go back to pure circuit racing when I can get free roam, on and off road racing events, open ended street racing and point to point rallying, and all of it in a gorgeous setting with a day/night cycle.

They really are two different beasts though, Horizon and Motorsport.

It's mainly the physics for me. The open world is nice and it's what makes Horizon the game it is, but I can't say no to the physics of FM4. I understand why Horizon went the direction they did and I have no problem with that as long as Turn 10 stays on the FM series.

I'm new to this OT so I'll just get this out of the way. I'm quite fucking pleased on how Microsoft is treating the Forza name. Two great developers making two great (and different) racing games. It's hard to ask for better.

TheDanger

Banned
So I played the demo, but I see no special srt viper anywhere ? Game is awesome I'll play this one for weeks for sure.

If a dev is in here, please make a specific setting to choose between kWh and HP, kWh may be metric, but no one in the real word uses it so I have no idea what I'm looking at.

SarBear

I was going to come in here and display my utter distaste for this game. However, after I'm reminded of the absolutely GLORIOUS car selection......I'm just gonna shrug and exit silently. :-/

zorbsie

I was going to come in here and display my utter distaste for this game. However, after I'm reminded of the absolutely GLORIOUS car selection......I'm just gonna shrug and exit silently. :-/

At least give us a few images. :) You always took great shots in F4. Have you used the photomode much in horizon?

I guess I am not TOO surprised you don't dig it too much. I know you like the hardcore sim/track stuff better.

I can't seem to get smartglass working with horizon, I know it does not work with the rally stuff but right now I am playing normal horizon and it still doesn't work.

Really lame, is this because I have the rally dlc installed? :/

Klocker

I can't seem to get smartglass working with horizon, I know it does not work with the rally stuff but right now I am playing normal horizon and it still doesn't work.

Really lame, is this because I have the rally dlc installed? :/

nope

SG working fine on Windows 8 machine with Horizon Rally pack installed

pops up a request to run it as soon as I load the game

TheDanger

Banned
cross post from the achieve trophies thread:

Does anyone want to do/boost the Forza Horizon online achievements with me ? No one of my friends play the game.

any word on the february DLC?

It is it is going to be sponsored by Jalopnik and they will be revealing the cars later this week. I am always down with the Jalopnik packs because they were vital in getting some of the more fun and "quirky" cars to appear in Forza.

And does anyone have a 250 GTO with just exhaust/intake mods that they would be willing to share in the club garage? I am working on creating a Horizon version of C'etait un Rendezvous.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=6WV_SGVWINs

Forza and Jalopnik are at it again! Starting on Tuesday, Feb. 5, you'll be able to download the February Jalopnik Car Pack for Forza Horizon. Available for 400 MS Points, this pack features six cars just begging to hit the open roads of Colorado. Check it out:

• 1966 Ford Country Squire (sample car, available for free download on Feb. 5)
• 1970 Nissan Datsun 510
• 1973 Mazda RX3
• 1991 Ferrari 512 TR
• 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
• 2013 Subaru BRZ

Players who own the Forza Horizon Season Pass will also have access to the special February Season Pass Bonus Car, the 2010 Devon GTX!

Don't miss out on this amazing collection of eclectic rides! Download the February Jalopnik Car Pack for Forza Horizon on Feb. 5!

BADNED

And here pics of the new cars.

Quoted because of size!
aD3goNE.jpg

0yQG4Ej.jpg

iLBKHup.jpg

YwuiI7r.jpg

LEuwqw7.jpg

Oa8V66h.jpg

Season Pass Exclusive:
iXbN4wn.jpg

I still love this game purely to fuck around in. Not doing events, not even the rallies at the moment. Just buying cars, tweaking their setup and going on long joy/test rides while pulling drifts and stunts at every opportunity.

I'm pretty damn close to flipping back to 1st place popularity for the third time.

Can't get enough of this game :)

3 new cars and 3 old ones is pretty lame in my opinion, thats stoping me from buying the carpacks.

With 7 new cars and 3 old ones i´ll be fine paying 560 again.

For those who have already finished the game or close to doing so, do you buy these car packs?

Unlike forza where you can go try out tuning each car up the wazoo to use it on selective tracks as best as possible, what do you use them for in horizon?

serious question, I can't see a reason for car packs for this sort of game.

Just found a wireless microsoft wheel for 60 bucks at my local game shop, didn't plan on buying a wheel but I know they're discontinued and I probably wouldn't find another one that cheap, so I got it. My first impressions: driving with a wheel after driving so many races with a controller feels weird, gonna take some getting used to, no more holding the trigger down and just flooring it. Any suggestions on how I should set my wheel, or is the default good for most of you?

Default should be ok, if you haven't already stuck some foam or a squash ball under your brake pedal to add some resistance try that for a cheap but effective mod.

eggwolio

Just found a wireless microsoft wheel for 60 bucks at my local game shop, didn't plan on buying a wheel but I know they're discontinued and I probably wouldn't find another one that cheap, so I got it. My first impressions: driving with a wheel after driving so many races with a controller feels weird, gonna take some getting used to, no more holding the trigger down and just flooring it. Any suggestions on how I should set my wheel, or is the default good for most of you?

You got an incredible deal. I paid $90 after shipping for mine. I'm still adjusting, as well.

Default should be ok, if you haven't already stuck some foam or a squash ball under your brake pedal to add some resistance try that for a cheap but effective mod.

All right, I'm gonna stick with default then. Sticking some foam under the brake pedal is a good idea, it probably feel better with a little more resistance. I'm gonna go ahead and give that a shot, thanks.

You got an incredible deal. I paid $90 after shipping for mine. I'm still adjusting, as well.

Yeah, somebody just traded it in yesterday so I'm glad I got to it before anybody else, at that price it wouldn't have been long before someone else came in and bought it.

Top Bottom