• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FPS "bestiaries"

lazygecko

One of the most important things about classic FPS games is the variety in their selection of enemies and how intricately tied they are to the game design. Their different roles, strengths and weaknesses in conjunction with how they are placed in the environment was pretty much the biggest toolset available to the level designers. As the genre moved further further towards setpiece-focused design, and gameplay mostly centered around soaking up hitscan damage and then seek cover to regenerate, this is an aspect that was greatly diminished and has just about become a lost art.

bestiarystouf.png

Let's start off with one of the most iconic bestiaries which is Doom 1&2, largely responsible for setting the template for the first wave of shooters in the 90's.
You've got the bottom tier zombie dudes who are slow, have very low health but they do have instant hitscan weapons. Especially the shotgun and chaingun zombies can hurt a lot. So when you enter a room your instinctive reaction is typically going to be to find and take out these guys first. Experienced level designers have a nasty habit of putting shotgun guys around corners making you always look sideways.

Then you've got the other ranged monsters that rely on slower projectiles. The imps die pretty quick like the zombies, while the others have exponentially more health, but to balance this out most of them sans the hell knights and barons have a very low pain threshold so you can effectively "stunlock" them with rapid fire weapons. It can become a bit of an art to juggle your fire between several of them to minimize their fire rate. Mancubus (the big brown fattie) fires double fireballs but they go in a very specific pattern and with enough distance you can avoid them by just standing inbetween the 2 projectiles. Level designers also have a habit of using any of these as "turret" enemies by placing them in unreachable and often vertically elevated positions.

Then there's the melee-only monsters which are very few in this game. First you've got the instantly recognisable "Pinky" demon. He is really quite handicapped with several crippling weaknesses, such as a slow attack that can only be used while stationary, and like ED-209 the poor thing can't seem to use stairs. They are most effectively placed several at once in small corridors and other tight places where they can easily gang up and corner you if you don't watch out. And last you've got the Lost Soul (the little floating skull) which is pretty much the only enemy filling the "minor nusiance" role. Quite often they appear in medium to large packs and always manage to charge into one another and start infighting.

Compare this to how the monsters work in Duke Nukem 3D. On the surface, it might seem functionally very similar to Doom, but it does do several things to differentiate itself enough. Most notably is that most enemies have some trademark special ability they'll use every now and then.

The lowest tier aliens use projectile lasers instead of hitscan weapons, but their projectile speed is significantly faster than most you'd find in Doom. The red armored ones are also capable of teleporting around. The pig cops are the token shotgun enemies in this game, but their health is significantly higher than their Doom equivalents. They are also capable of firing while crouching, and they also pilot vehicles (surviving pig cops often emerge from vehicles after you destroy them). After that comes the chaingun alien (which only appears after Episode 1). He's quite agile and can jump around, but also has a rather distinct weakness in the form of frequently having to pause for bowel movements.

The Octabrain is pretty much the DN3D Cacodemon with a few twists. Most notably is that its attack has a fairly long charge time, and during this window any damage will cancel the attack. One of the other flying enemies is the small robot drone. They act as suicide bombers exploding on death and can also evade some enemy fire.

The little slime puddles are the nusiances of the game. They die in one pistol shot but can be difficult to hit. Plus, they can also move and attack from the ceiling. They attack by crawling up on the player's face and obscuring the view. For some reason you're still able to shoot or even kick them when that happens.

I would have liked to cover Quake as well but didn't want the OP to get too lengthy. Would be nice if some other savvy people can cover other bestiaries like Quake and Half-Life and explain what makes them great.

Serious Sam has a pretty great selection, but I'm not going to write a bunch of paragraphs about it because the First and Second Encounter both already do that.

lazygecko

I'd like to see someone put together a post for Unreal 1.

I played Unreal a whole lot more than I did Half-Life, but in retrospect I honestly don't find the selection of monsters in that game to be particularly noteworthy. I guess there's the mercenaries with their energy shield projectors, and the titans who can shake the ground, but apart from that they're all pretty average.

Man, all this has done is remind me how uninspired most FPS games' enemies are. Will be interesting to see if Doom 4 has the same kind of variety the series has always had.

Neiteio

Man, I love the bestiary of Doom II. Has there been any indication if the new Doom is bringing back any of the old monsters?

Also, Metroid Prime (any of them) fits this thread nicely.

It's not an FPS, but the enemy variety in Resident Evil 6 is incredible, both in just sheer amount of assets and their movesets/abilities etc. One of it's four campaigns has it's entire own enemy set. There is also an enemy, the J'avo, that can mutate into a bunch of different types, or a cocoon that will morph it into a more powerful tier of enemy.

Serious Sam is great. I miss huge enemy variety, the most you get now is something like The New Order, which is still pretty low on variety but better then a lot of FPS/TPS.

lazygecko

I'll do a post on Quake monsters in a bit. Just gonna be a personal take on them, as there's better technical details and analyses elsewhere.

One of the things I like about Quake is the ogre (chainsaw grenade launcher dude) and how he can't aim vertically. In most cases ranged enemies are going to be able to shoot at you from any angle, but not the ogre. Due to the way grenades work with gravity, they can still attack you from heigths like from a ledge or on a bridge above the player, and it's in those situations where they are most dangerous since grenades can you just rain down on you out of nowhere. But if you can get a vantage point from above, you can take them out without any risks. These facts become great tools in the hands of skilled level designers, and the best ones for Quake generally take great advantage of vertical design.

pantsmith

Destiny is full of enemy variety, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, behaviour, special abilities and interesting contribution to encounters. Im surprised they dont see more praise.

The other nice thing is that a lot of them communicate everything you need to know through their design. Cant wait for even more variety in future content.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, I love the bestiary of Doom II. Has there been any indication if the new Doom is bringing back any of the old monsters?

Also, Metroid Prime (any of them) fits this thread nicely.
Metroid Prime 3 was what this thread reminded me of since it has an actual ingame bestiary from scanning enemies. I can't actually think of another FPS I've played that had a bestiary...Borderlands 2 didn't have one, did it? Just achievements for killing certain enemy types?

Mman235

this is an aspect that was greatly diminished and has just about become a lost art.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. The worst part is that when they do mix things up now they frequently get it wrong (usually with overly damaging and annoying melee enemies with shit hitboxes or lumbering bullet sponges) which just makes others even less inclined to try. It's probably contributed a lot to the boring level design in a lot of modern shooters, because there's less reason to mix up scenarios when every enemy is a humanoid with a gun and very similar capabilities to you. The few games that get enemy variety right now tend to be in other genres, like the Souls games. Even the better modern FPS tend to stumble at this; for instance, with a couple of exceptions all the variety in Wolfenstein the New Order comes from lumbering bullet sponges.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. The worst part is that when they do mix things up now they frequently get it wrong (usually with overly damaging and annoying melee enemies with shit hitboxes or lumbering bullet sponges) which just makes others even less inclined to try. It's probably contributed a lot to the boring level design in a lot of modern shooters, because there's less reason to mix up scenarios when every enemy is a humanoid with a gun and very similar capabilities to you. The few games that get enemy variety right now tend to be in other genres, like the Souls games. Even the better modern FPS tend to stumble at this; for instance, with a couple of exceptions all the variety in Wolfenstein the New Orders comes from lumbering bullet sponges.

In the new Wolfensteins, there isn't a lot of enemy variety but I would say they're bullet sponges only if you just shoot them as you do any regular enemy, but mostly they can be taken down in a few shots if hit from the back or with specific weapons. The shotgunners can get their explosive backs detonated in one hit.
wolfenstein_the_old_blood_shotgun_enemy_tank_by_digi_matrix-d8ulgs7.gif

Like even the Supersoldaten can be taken down with just 4 shotgun blasts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8DmI8EWyY8

Sciz

DOOM's lineup is untouchable, but Quake holds its own very well even as it grapples with the technology of the time.

(don't let me deter anyone else from going on about it as well, started writing this a couple hours back now)

quake_monsterstzlyy.png

The biggest difference between the two games' sets of demons is that all but the weakest of Quake's rank-and-file can soak some significant damage before going down. I assume this was an intentional decision to keep the game tense without taxing performance too much, but the switch to dealing with fewer, tougher monsters is a big part of what gives Quake's gameplay its own identity apart from DOOM.

Rottweilers are your standard fast-but-fragile melee monster. They're supplemented by Grunts, who are essentially identical to DOOM's brown zombies, and the much more lethal Enforcers, who pack fast-moving laser projectiles and enough body armor to make you think twice about considering them to be imp substitutes. The catch is that you only* encounter the three of them in the first level of each episode, where weapons and ammo better than a shotgun are in short supply. It's a very slimmed down part of the game, but suffering enforcer potshots from a ledge above you while grunts and dogs keep your shotgun preoccupied is more than enough to make things interesting. (*Grunts take a couple more levels to disappear in episode one.)

From there, we reach the solid core of Quake: Knights become the common fodder, and they're more or less pinky demons and like to come in groups of three and four at a time in tight spaces. Death Knights largely replace them later in the game, but come with more than three times the health and a hard to dodge arc of projectiles to fling when they aren't closing the gap. They still swarm you.

Scrags are the game's sole aerial threat, and the flying bastards are annoying enough that it doesn't need any others. They don't die quickly to anything but precious rockets or nailgun ammo, retaliate by spamming a moderately fast projectile, and usually come from the shadows in widely dispersed groups while you're distracted by something groundbound.

Scrags especially like to back up Ogres, which have a chainsaw in one hand and a grenade launcher for the other. No other game makes you deal with the constant threat of explosions like Quake does, and it's all because of these guys. They're everywhere, they won't bother trying to melee unless you're already close enough, and they're never alone. It wouldn't be so bad if they just threw fireballs, but grenades arc over other monsters, bounce off walls, and persist until they explode. About the only difference between Hard and Nightmare difficulty is that ogres fire grenades even faster. It's the best example of how Quake does more with less, and baiting them into using the chainsaw is actually preferable if you can help it, simply because it's much more predictable. They're also about as beefy as death knights, so you'll never kill one before it gets at least one shot off.

Even then, ogres are lower priority than Fiends, which the manual refers to as "organic buzzsaws". They're melee-only monsters, but the blood soaking their mouths and all four limbs isn't for show, as they're perfectly capable of leaping across an entire room in a single bound and eviscerating you in moments. They're also tougher than death knights, and level designers love few things more than pairing them off with ogres and more fiends to maximize the "lethal shit careening through the air at you" factor.

The remaining monsters tend towards being more specialized, and are less common for it. Rotfish are the rottweilers of the sea, and the primary threat you'll encounter underwater short of ogres going blast fishing for you. Zombies are largely stationary, weak, and fling slow-moving chunks of themselves at you as a projectile attack. The catch is that they'll get right back up unless gibbed, usually through explosives. Commonly placed on high points for makeshift tower defense, and just under shallow water as a trap. Spawns don't show up until episode four, which is fortunate because they're fast, small, erratically moving blobs that explode on contact or death, whichever comes first. They're such a pain in the ass that John Romero has said the designers intentionally didn't use them much.

Vores are seldom seen miniboss-grade monsters, and conjure up homing balls of magic that are extremely hard to shake and don't despawn, meaning you have to either soak the hit or lure them into something else. Naturally, they tend to be placed in sets of two or three at a time. Shamblers finally bring us back to a DOOM comparison, being rather like archviles without the ability to rez other demons. They're versatile enough that you'll fight them on their own, in pairs, and in conjunction with almost everything else in the game.

All the game's really missing is a real boss or two, instead of the two stand-ins they cranked out within the short development cycle. Mixing the three base level enemies in with the demons would probably go a long way towards making the combat feel more like DOOM's, but I don't think the game really needs that niche filled, overall. It's a game of tighter spaces and closer combat.

Great idea for a thread. If there's one trend in FPS games I wish would be less prevalent, even more than regen health and slow move speeds is the tendency to have all or nearly all enemies be human gunhavers. Really limits creative enemy design and by extension, level and encounter design.

The Doom 2 additions are especially well thought out, as most of them seem designed specifically to subvert expectations and approaches carried over from Doom 1. Mancubi and Revs were new projectile enemies that made it so circle strafing didn't mean you were effectively invincible, chaingunners added a long distance version of the Immediate Threat shotgunner, Pain Elementals and Archviles added a previously unnecessary sense of urgency to encounters, etc...

oh lol, Sciz did all the work for me.
One of the things I like about Quake is the ogre (chainsaw grenade launcher dude) and how he can't aim vertically. In most cases ranged enemies are going to be able to shoot at you from any angle, but not the ogre. Due to the way grenades work with gravity, they can still attack you from heigths like from a ledge or on a bridge above the player, and it's in those situations where they are most dangerous since grenades can you just rain down on you out of nowhere. But if you can get a vantage point from above, you can take them out without any risks. These facts become great tools in the hands of skilled level designers, and the best ones for Quake generally take great advantage of vertical design.
They're easily the most important enemy for an Quake mapper. All you need to have an interesting Ogre battle is one of them, some up-and-down terrain, and plenty of stairs for you and the Ogre to get stuck on.

Same goes for Shamblers, actually, because you have to dance them precisely or they'll enter a uninterruptible lightning attack, which makes for an interesting comparison with Archviles. Difference is that Archviles take longer to blast you and have a misleading aural cue (the crackle dies after a bit, just before the blast would happen if you're caught in range w/o obstruction). You can play punch-out with Shamblers and use them against each other like body shields, but players never benefit from something like the Archvile's blast recoil pushing them airborne; meanwhile the Vore is less menacing than Revenants and becomes something like a puzzle piece, its projectiles ideal for baiting infighting yet more difficult to dodge than a Revenant's. I love how Vores are particularly weak to rockets while Shamblers are one of the few enemies in Quake that can ward against certain projectiles...like rockets!

Knights are underrated. They're just as useful as Demons/Pinkies from DOOM, but perhaps even more so. You have no chainsaw-like weapon in Quake, so there's no way you can trap Knights like you can Pinkies. This makes dancing more dangerous, as you need more space to account for erratic alternation in animations between each Knight. Their reach when swinging while running at you is surprisingly long and wide, and continuous damage means that you can be chipped at more than a Pinkie would be able to bite you. Death Knights are even better at this, but players have to prioritize them anyhow because their wave projectile is both dangerous and useful for infighting. The one melee weapon in this game, the axe, straddles a middle-ground between more accuracy/precision over fists but less so than a DOOM chainsaw, which represents Quake's approach to both weapons and the bestiary well. In DOOM you can overcharge and armor up easily and stay that way, but Quake makes you care about specific armor types and makes overcharging meaningful through decay and judicious placement of Quad Damage.

Only enemy I don't like as much in Quake is the Rotfish, but only because it's not well programmed, seems to have a shoddy hitbox for axing and most weapons in general. Zombies are handled much better on the whole, acting as gatekeepers in maps until you can get launchers and enough ammo to safely get by (a talented player can run and jump atop them, of course).

Great idea for a thread. If there's one trend in FPS games I wish would be less prevalent, even more than regen health and slow move speeds is the tendency to have all or nearly all enemies be human gunhavers. Really limits creative enemy design and by extension, level and encounter design.

The Doom 2 additions are especially well thought out, as most of them seem designed specifically to subvert expectations and approaches carried over from Doom 1. Mancubi and Revs were new projectile enemies that made it so circle strafing didn't mean you were effectively invincible, chaingunners added a long distance version of the Immediate Threat shotgunner, Pain Elementals and Archviles added a previously unnecessary sense of urgency to encounters, etc...

Say what you will about Doom 2's original level design, but the additions to the bestiary were so damn smart.

robin2

doom 2 bestiary is godlike.

I really dislike the doom 4 revenant in that gif. doom 3 version is much better, its biomechanical torso connects to the head with big veins made of metal-plastic, it has a sort of grotesque harmony-elegance. doom 4 variant instead has just this anonymous mechanical armor shoved on, looks like some strogg grunt. I want to see more of it but for now I much prefer doom3 version.

(I actually think they did a very good job with the monsters (and weapons, human armors) design in doom3).

Dr. Buni

I like the bestiary/monster/boss designs in the Metroid Prime series. I don't have a collage with pictures of all of them to post here at the moment, though :c

Hypron

I really like the KF2 (and KF1 since they're almost identical) bestiary. Most enemies are melee based but they are still very diverse and you need to adopt different techniques to deal with them.

Cyst/Clots/Slashers

Those little guys are all variants of the KF1 Clots. They are weak and don't do much damage... However, they come in large numbers, which means they can shield other specimens. Furthermore, they have a unique attack that no other enemy in the game has: they can grab you and prevent you from moving. This means you need to be careful around them if you don't want to get overrun by small enemies or obliterated by one of the big guys you were running away from.

The Cysts are very weak and fall over when they try to hit you, the Clots walk at a fairly slow speed towards you (but can momentarily sprint on higher difficulties) and the Slashers are Clots on steroid that always run and can roll on the ground to dodge gunfire.

Stalkers

The stalkers don't really do much damage either. However, they are invisible and only briefly reappear every couple of seconds. They also tend to move in irregular patterns while invisible and flip all over the place. All of this makes them hard to hit with most weapons. However, one of the classes in the game, the commando, can see them even while they are invisible.

Crawlers

These little shits are also cannon fodder. However, they are small and thus require you to look at the ground to hit them. They can also lunge at you from a distance to chip your health. They are best dealt with using fast automatic weapons.

Gorefasts

The last of the fodder enemies. Those guys have more health than the other basic enemies, do a lot more damage and can run towards you at a fast pace (they can actually hit you while you are sprinting away from them — you need to be careful around them). Their sword attacks are fast and have a large range. On higher difficulties you can't afford to let a pack of them close to you.

Bloats

Those guys are big and slow. They serve 2 purposes. They act as shields for other zeds due to their huge size and they also create "no go zones" around them: if you get close to them they'll vomit on you which makes your view all fuzzy and absolutely destroys your armour. Their body has a ton of health so you need to shoot them in the head to get rid of them quickly. However they are far taller than all the fodder, which means shooting their heads off will require accurate aiming and will prevent you from taking advantage of penetrating weapons.

Husks

The only enemy apart from the boss to have long range attacks. Husks can throw fireballs at you. If you get hit by one, you are put on fire, your camera will become fuzzy and you will lose health over time. However, you can avoid those fireballs by jumping or running out of the way like you would in any old school shooter.

On top of that, they have two other attacks: when they are close to death they will run towards you and commit suicide by making their combustible canister explode. This deals massive damage to both you and other enemies. This means you can make use of it to get rid of other zeds.

Finally, on the two hardest difficulties they gain a deadly new attack: they'll go nuts with a flamethrower if you get close to them. This deals a crazy amount of damage so you need to be very careful and look for the Husk's animations if one gets close to you.

Sirens

The Sirens don't look like much. They blend amongst lesser zeds quite easily. However, they can be pretty deadly. Once they get close to you they'll start screaming which will destroy undetonated grenades, make your camera all fuzzy and deal damage over time. The closer your are to them the more damage you'll take. But conversely, the quickest methods to get rid of them involve getting up close and personal — taking them out with a double-barrelled shotgun headshot or with a strike from an explosive hammer. They are especially deadly when in groups. 2 or 3 Sirens together will decimate a team in seconds if not taken care of.

Scrakes

Now things are getting serious. Scrakes are large and intimidating chainsaw-wielding monsters. You will know when one is on your way since you'll hear a demented scream accompanied by chainsaw revving noises every time one spawns. They have a massive amount of health and deal huge amount of damage (killing you in 2/3 hits on difficulties above hard).

They have two phases: in their first phase they are easy to deal with, since they simply walk towards you at a slow pace and will only attack if you get within their reach. You can simply run away from them and get rid of the other zeds. However, once you damage them enough they'll start raging. That's when shit gets real — they'll remain angry until they are dead, and they will start running towards players at a fast pace (fast enough that you can't outrun them unless you make clever use of the environment — eg. by jumping over railings). Their attacks will also look different and more aggressive.

However, a skilled player can avoid every single one of the Scrake's attacks simply by manoeuvring around it. Some attacks can be avoided by running towards the Scrake, some others can be avoided by running sideways, their attacks can be parried with a melee weapon... You just have to keep in mind that they are still deadly and there will be other enemies around so it's not simple.

Fleshpounds

The biggest and baddest guys in the game. The Fleshpounds are huge, have even more health than Scrakes and do tons of damage. Similarly to the Scrakes, they also have a rage mechanics but it works a bit differently: they only rage for short amount of time before going back to their "calm" state. However, they will rage at regular intervals even if they don't get hit (hitting them makes them rage faster though).

When they are raged, they will run towards players and mow down anything in their path (including smaller zeds). As opposed to all other enemies in the game, you can't parry their raged attacks. Furthermore, you cannot avoid their attacks by simply manoeuvring around them. This means your team will need to concentrate their fire on the Fleshpounds to take them out before they inflict too much damage to your team.

Seeing two Fleshpounds coming towards you at once is always dreadful.

Hans Volter

Hansvoltericon.png

The current boss of the game, Hans Volter, is a German scientist wearing an exoskeleton, assault rifles and a metric shitton of grenades.

He has a variety of different ranged attacks (nerve gas grenades that deal damage over time, explosive grenades, smoke grenades and gunfire) and melee attacks (slashes and jump attacks mostly).

The boss has a total of 4 phases. Every time he's almost dead he'll become almost invincible and will start throwing smoke grenades around. After that he'll set his eyes on a player and will life drain that player to regain all its health and move onto the next phase. Players will need to heal the guy that's getting life drained to prevent him from dying, which requires some coordination.

As he gets into later phases the boss will start becoming more aggressive and will start using explosive grenades (which are extremely dangerous). Furthermore, he'll start calling in fodder enemies to distract you (on higher difficulties even Sirens can spawn, which can be extremely dangerous).

That boss forces you to always be on the move: you can't stay out in the open or he'll make short work of you with his guns, but you also need to avoid getting cornered or he'll slash you to death. He can deny entire areas for periods of time using his nerve gas grenades (running through the gas will kill you, you need to run around it).

All in all it's a great game with varied and interesting enemies.

Ha and I forgot to mention, but there's monster infighting in the game. Husks and Bloats are the most likely to start infighting due to the area of effect of their attacks. It's always fun to see zeds attacking each other.

Mman235

In the new Wolfensteins, there isn't a lot of enemy variety but I would say they're bullet sponges only if you just shoot them as you do any regular enemy, but mostly they can be taken down in a few shots if hit from the back or with specific weapons. The shotgunners can get their explosive backs detonated in one hit

The slow armoured enemies having a weakpoint on their back is practically an inherent part of the archetype at this point. There isn't even anything necessarily wrong with them, but they seem to be the type that's always used for variety (outside the generic melee enemies) when there are a bunch of other enemy types that could be added by applying some more creativity.

This is one of my favourite aspects of STALKER. Not only is there a pretty decent range of enemies, they also have very different behaviour patterns owing to the great AI.

- There are assorted beasts that wander the zone, some more aggressive than others. A lone dog will run away from you, but a pack will attack.

- Different groups of bandits will attack each other, as well as taking down mutants. It's not uncommon to wander into an enemy camp and find everyone dead. What happened? Who knows, it all unfolds organically

- There are a few super powerful mutants that are truly terrifying to face, and have unique abilities (like the Controller and Bloodsucker)

- You can try for some risky stuff like attacking well armed soldiers in the early parts of the games, and be rewarded with weapons/armour you would have no chance of buying so early in the game.

I wish I could find a good picture of the full bestiary!

Fugu

oh lol, Sciz did all the work for me.They're easily the most important enemy for an Quake mapper. All you need to have an interesting Ogre battle is one of them, some up-and-down terrain, and plenty of stairs for you and the Ogre to get stuck on.

Same goes for Shamblers, actually, because you have to dance them precisely or they'll enter a uninterruptible lightning attack, which makes for an interesting comparison with Archviles. Difference is that Archviles take longer to blast you and have a misleading aural cue (the crackle dies after a bit, just before the blast would happen if you're caught in range w/o obstruction). You can play punch-out with Shamblers and use them against each other like body shields, but players never benefit from something like the Archvile's blast recoil pushing them airborne; meanwhile the Vore is less menacing than Revenants and becomes something like a puzzle piece, its projectiles ideal for baiting infighting yet more difficult to dodge than a Revenant's. I love how Vores are particularly weak to rockets while Shamblers are one of the few enemies in Quake that can ward against certain projectiles...like rockets!

Knights are underrated. They're just as useful as Demons/Pinkies from DOOM, but perhaps even more so. You have no chainsaw-like weapon in Quake, so there's no way you can trap Knights like you can Pinkies. This makes dancing more dangerous, as you need more space to account for erratic alternation in animations between each Knight. Their reach when swinging while running at you is surprisingly long and wide, and continuous damage means that you can be chipped at more than a Pinkie would be able to bite you. Death Knights are even better at this, but players have to prioritize them anyhow because their wave projectile is both dangerous and useful for infighting. The one melee weapon in this game, the axe, straddles a middle-ground between more accuracy/precision over fists but less so than a DOOM chainsaw, which represents Quake's approach to both weapons and the bestiary well. In DOOM you can overcharge and armor up easily and stay that way, but Quake makes you care about specific armor types and makes overcharging meaningful through decay and judicious placement of Quad Damage.

Only enemy I don't like as much in Quake is the Rotfish, but only because it's not well programmed, seems to have a shoddy hitbox for axing and most weapons in general. Zombies are handled much better on the whole, acting as gatekeepers in maps until you can get launchers and enough ammo to safely get by (a talented player can run and jump atop them, of course).
A long-standing gaming goal of mine is to beat Quake on nightmare with no deaths, and nearly every time I fail it's because of, erm, "creative" ogre placement or vores. The specific properties of ogres, in conjunction with their ubiquitousness, make them an incredibly unpredictable and dangerous enemy even if you know exactly where they're going to be.

Vores just do a lot of damage and are often positioned in such a way that you are guaranteed to take at least one hit, even with the LG. In a way I feel that vores, particularly in E3, exist to ensure that players who are playing it too fast and loose with their resources will fail.

Fiends and spawns are also quite dangerous, spawns because they are unpredictable and deal a lot of damage and fiends because they do so much damage that their predictable nature is kind of irrelevant.

lazygecko

The latest Game Maker's Toolkit brings up precisely these points. It's great that someone more prominent is highlighting this as I feel it's a very understated element of Doom's success and timelessness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOObGjCA7Q

I do wish he would have talked more in-depth about their synergy with the level design though, like placing shotgunners around corners and the iconic sealed off "turret" imps.

The latest Game Maker's Toolkit brings up precisely these points. It's great that someone more prominent is highlighting this as I feel it's a very understated element of Doom's success and timelessness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOObGjCA7Q

I do wish he would have talked more in-depth about their synergy with the level design though, like placing shotgunners around corners and the iconic sealed off "turret" imps.

Just watched this myself earlier and I could whole-heartedly agree.
I in fact love all the additions from Doom 2 and what they did to that original balance.

VariantX

That video highlights a huge difference between doom and most modern shooters. Enemy units with purpose and their placement in levels. It's not limited at all by trying to depict a realistic world and the player character is superhuman, allowing you to weave through projectiles. It's quite a bit deeper than it looks on the surface.

Mulgrok

This can be applied to multiplayer games, like TFC. I never could understand why people migrated from TFC and its tactical variety to Counterstrike.. where all the opponents move and fire the same.

DJ_Lae

I really liked the selection of baddies/Infected in Left 4 Dead, though that game is a little more different due to its multiplayer focused nature.

Still, the Boomer, Smoker, Hunter, Tank, and Witch all made for vastly different opposition when strewn in with varying quantities of regular zombies. Left 4 Dead 2's new creatures didn't offer up anything amazing, but the Spitter/Jockey/Charger were still different enough to create unique situations and require slightly different tactics depending on how they managed to incapacitate your teammates.

Top Bottom