• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The one thing I truly hate about Final Fantasy XVI

RCU005

Enemies just leave!!

You are fighting an enemy, and suddenly they just walk away and their health regenerates, so it has to start over!

What the hell is that design?! If you go far away from them, I guess they assume you are fleeting, but the biggest issue is that they are the o es moving around, and they are the ones moving away causing the “fleeting”! Also, some marks have these huge attacks that you have to move! Why don’t they just put a barrier?

I hate that I have had to do several marks more than once because this stupid design choice!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is something you also see in Xenoblade, in FFXVI this happen to me once during one of the hunts.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’m about 40 hours in or so now and haven’t had this happen. Once in the desert I moved too far away on purpose (like running away in other FF games), but never had this happen on accident. Are you overleveled, playing on story mode, or using one of the easy accessories?

I only ask because maybe the game is telling enemies to run because you are OP?

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
So this is working as designed. Perhaps a confirmation when it happens would have been good. But here's what's happening.

When fighting, there's usually a red circle around a large area if the fight is not optional. You can't leave that area. If you approach the circle, you'll hit an invisible wall.

When fighting marks, there's a green circle instead of a red one. This indicates the area where - if you're inside of it - the enemies will keep attacking you. If you try to walk out of the green circle, you will not hit a wall. Instead, you will just step outside of it and the enemy will disengage. It's how you run from optional battles.

So when enemies walk away, they didn't 'just leave', you accidentally disengaged or 'ran from the fight'.

You just have to be aware of the engagement boundaries in wide open areas.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Yeah, definitely deliberate to avoid kiting or sniping on the border of their engagement zone. Other open world have enemies with high movement speed attacks or punishing long-range attacks to counter such strategies, but FF XVI doesn’t have this so they need to dissuade people another way. It’s annoying but not much of an issue once you’re aware of it.

Zheph

Are you guys running away? They are bound to an area I guess so unless you run from it..? I am half way NG+ and only experienced that when i was trying to skip a fight

StueyDuck

I haven't had this happen once. But I'm a "no witnesses" gamer. I run in and everything dies. Even the lovely deer minding their own business.

The real crime that FFXVI commits that the OP glossed over is that it's OST is too fucking good that it ruins other games, it simulatenously is epic / catchy and somehow nostalgic. Nothing is going to top this OST and for a while.

Last edited:
Only happened to me once. During the King Behemoth hunt. Was dodging through shockwaves, I guess I dodged right out of the zone.

StueyDuck

That sounds Infuriating.
Doesn't sound like it's as common occurrence as the OP makes it out to be. I'm 35 or so hours in and it hasn't happened to me and others have said it's only happened once or twice to them their whole playthrough

I wouldn't let it turn you off from playing the game

AJUMP23

Doesn't sound like it's as common occurrence as the OP makes it out to be. I'm 35 or so hours in and it hasn't happened to me and others have said it's only happened once or twice to them their whole playthrough

I wouldn't let it turn you off from playing the game
I decided to play Jedi Survvor.

StueyDuck

I played Zelda, Now Jedi, then Probably Starfield. I will get to FF16 most likely when I buy a PS5. But I have not been compelled yet.
I mean all I said was don't let what seems like a non problem for most people playing the game turn you off from ever playing the game and these are your responses 🤣

Either it's ah I won't play, or I see ok I won't let it deter me.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I mean all I said was don't let what seems like a non problem for most people playing the game turn you off from ever playing the game and these are your responses 🤣

Either it's ah I won't play, or I see ok I won't let it deter me.
I think we are talking past eachother. I don't know. my response is cool.

StueyDuck

I think we are talking past eachother. I don't know. my response is cool.
I notice list wars and console mentions in the responses so I'm fairly certain now where this interaction is going.

All I'm gonna say that whatever the agenda is I don't care. Play the game or not, really doesnt matter to me, i thought i was just helping explain that its not a one sided issue as is presented, sorry my comment didn't suit whatever narrative you are looking for 👍

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I notice list wars and console mentions in the responses so I'm fairly certain now where this interaction is going.

All I'm gonna say that whatever the agenda is I don't care. Play the game or not, really doesnt matter to me, i thought i was just helping explain that its not a one sided issue as is presented, sorry my comment didn't suit whatever narrative you are looking for 👍
I was just talking about the game. FF16 is a candidate to get me to buy a ps5. My only console loyalty lies with Nintendo. Otherwise I just play anything. There is no console waring from me. I am at a loss to how you think I am doing anything other than replying to your thoughts. I am certainly not antagonizing.

StueyDuck

I was just talking about the game. FF16 is a candidate to get me to buy a ps5. My only console loyalty lies with Nintendo. Otherwise I just play anything. There is no console waring from me. I am at a loss to how you think I am doing anything other than replying to your thoughts. I am certainly not antagonizing.

Whatever floats your boat 👍

AJUMP23

Whatever floats your boat 👍
Water floats boats and ducks.

Donald Duck GIF

aclar00

Happened to me twice, one def on a hunt. Kind of stupid at times how OP said. It happened to me as i was attacking the enemy. Essentially i knocked it out of bounds (me too?) as i was attacking and it just reset. Already had its health down halfway.

The enemies do so much movement themselves that this method just doesnt help.

sigmaZ

Enemies just leave!!

You are fighting an enemy, and suddenly they just walk away and their health regenerates, so it has to start over!

What the hell is that design?! If you go far away from them, I guess they assume you are fleeting, but the biggest issue is that they are the o es moving around, and they are the ones moving away causing the “fleeting”! Also, some marks have these huge attacks that you have to move! Why don’t they just put a barrier?

I hate that I have had to do several marks more than once because this stupid design choice!
This happened to me twice so far but one time was in a fight indoors LOL

sigmaZ

So this is working as designed. Perhaps a confirmation when it happens would have been good. But here's what's happening.

When fighting, there's usually a red circle around a large area if the fight is not optional. You can't leave that area. If you approach the circle, you'll hit an invisible wall.

When fighting marks, there's a green circle instead of a red one. This indicates the area where - if you're inside of it - the enemies will keep attacking you. If you try to walk out of the green circle, you will not hit a wall. Instead, you will just step outside of it and the enemy will disengage. It's how you run from optional battles.

So when enemies walk away, they didn't 'just leave', you accidentally disengaged or 'ran from the fight'.

Yeah, badly designed. It's fine to have them disengage. The key issue is that they instantly go to full life. Instantly. They should start pooling HP but not completely go to 100. Even Horizon had this figured out.

Explained very well. I like this system over the enemy AI in games like Far Cry 6 where they just keep fighting you everywhere you go.

Why couldnt this just be posted in the OT convo lol
It was, by multiple people(including me). I guess OP wanted to create more attention about it.

For me it's mainly annoying because of enemies who do a long blitz abilities dragging themselves out of the combat area or the player having a longform blitz ability(why even put this into the game when I won't use it aside from arenas and boss fights since I need to stay close).

I like this system over the enemy AI in games like Far Cry 6 where they just keep fighting you everywhere you go.
It's because Far Cry games don't handle the 'RPG' aspect well enough. In ARPGs, Souls games, etc, you can aggro a crowd of enemies, have them follow you, and then kill them all with powerful abilities if you're leveled up enough and/or have the right skills. With Far Cry you're still having to deal with the full firefight, level scaling, and Ubisoft AI. Assassin's Creed, for most of the franchise, has the same issue.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Also if you are running from fights n FF16 you are doing something very wrong.

Only fights that should give you any trouble are hunts and bosses.

ergem

I have a question. I mastered judgment bolt and now I can’t use it in battles. Is the mastered judgment bolt only available in open areas?

Zheph

I have a question. I mastered judgment bolt and now I can’t use it in battles. Is the mastered judgment bolt only available in open areas?
Mastering a skill is useless unless you want to use it on another Eikon

Top Bottom