• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FREE copy of Marvin's Mittens for all GAF members! Believe...in magic!

WX3

yes for Greenlight! Very cool game, thanks for allowing me to check it out and give you guys a vote!

Just finished the entire game, including finding all the snowflakes/animals. All I have to say is WOW :) That was a lot of fun! The length was perfect and I loved the ending. The platforming, art, and music is all really awesome. I voted for it on Greenlight and plan to buy it on Steam if it makes it on.

Thanks again for the key and good luck!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Ahhhhhh, yes! Hahaha. The secrets that lie within slippy lake. I won't spoil, but keep on looking :)

Have fun!
Found it. Sometimes going through an area backwards can be incredibly helpful.

I'd also just like to say one of favorite bits about the background is how it's showing you stuff you have been/will go to.

edit: I wish I would have been reading the encyclopedia entries all this time. For some reason I thought it was just going to be the sketches.

Cranzor

Thanks for doing this. This game looks exactly like the kind of game I would like. The art is beautiful by the way, and the music is great. Can't wait to play it!

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to going more in-depth once I have finished. However, I've seemed to have found a glitch fairly early on.

After the second night cycle, I burst out of the house on the sled, and if you keep going past the porcupine and over that large rock is in front of that small cave with an opening above, you (or at least I) can't jump at all. It also leaves you in a position where you are permanently stuck since you can jump over the small ledge on the tip of the large rock on the left or up to the ledge on the right within the cave.

The only way to avoid the glitch is to stop before you make that jump on sled right in front of the porcupine. I can get off the sled and walk but not jump before the porcupine; however, when you interact with it by scaring it away or drawing it in the sketchbook, it then enables you to jump again.

I can still press the A button/confirm in the menus so you can easily exit and restart if you hit said glitch. Just thought that might be interesting to note.

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to going more in-depth once I have finished. However, I've seemed to have found a glitch fairly early on.

After the second night cycle, I burst out of the house on the sled, and if you keep going past the porcupine and over that large rock is in front of that small cave with an opening above, you (or at least I) can't jump at all. It also leaves you in a position where you are permanently stuck since you can jump over the small ledge on the tip of the large rock on the left or up to the ledge on the right within the cave.

The only way to avoid the glitch is to stop before you make that jump on sled right in front of the porcupine. I can get off the sled and walk but not jump before the porcupine; however, when you interact with it by scaring it away or drawing it in the sketchbook, it then enables you to jump again.

I can still press the A button/confirm in the menus so you can easily exit and restart if you hit said glitch. Just thought that might be interesting to note.

I've just put up the patch for this so the update should be live fairly shortly :)

Found it. Sometimes going through an area backwards can be incredibly helpful.

I'd also just like to say one of favorite bits about the background is how it's showing you stuff you have been/will go to.

edit: I wish I would have been reading the encyclopedia entries all this time. For some reason I thought it was just going to be the sketches.

So glad you enjoyed seeing those elements in the background, as well as the "elfcyclopedia" entries! Planning the construction of the world and the backgrounds to all line up was really fun :)

hiryu64

Just cleared it. LOVED the ending! :3 There was only one strange bit I encountered. In the South Peak area, there's a spot that appears to have been overlooked when crafting the world. I have some pics that demonstrate what I'm talking about.

From above: http://i.minus.com/imemWLrqTg2zV.png
From below: http://i.minus.com/iAZYbF9cxuRZI.png
The area: http://i.minus.com/irLwOsZPGDw6T.png

Also, I decided to look around in the game files and noticed something...

ioXXSI8MWH00p.png

Cheeky! :lol

Thanks again, and I hope you guys can get on Steam!

Just played a couple hours of this, seems really great, BUT I wish you would add a button to mute the music. The music is a little busy for me in context of the gameplay/setting, so I wish I could just have the sounds effects and no music or play something like Stars of the Lid in the background.

To those who are waiting for us to arrive on Steam: we very much appreciate your support and optimism.

When we began the GAF giveaway, we were around 40% of votes needed to get into the top 100. Even with the enormous outpouring of support from GAF, we’re still at less than 50%. We do not expect the game to be available on Steam anytime soon, so if you like our game, please do support the Greenlight effort, but also please get the game from Desura!

Desura has been an outstanding resource for our team, and we would like to see the game sell as many copies as possible through this service. It’s an accessible method of digital distribution for indies, is extremely developer friendly and the staff has been so helpful to us. We’re happy to be on their platform and hope that they can grow in popularity to really make it a home for indie games.

Every other release platform is speculative right now. The most likely place Marvin might next appear next is XBLIG, but we will also try for GOG.

We really want to encourage everyone to get the game on Desura! But again, thank you for your support in any form, especially just downloading our game and having fun playing it. That is our sincerest wish - that people enjoy Marvin's Mittens.

Bagu

JasoN, have you thought of asking Totalbiscuit to do a "WTF is..." of the the game? Could be a good way of getting some coverage for it.

And thanks again for the code. Very adorable game thus far :)

gblues

Banned
I received my code, registered with Desura, and was able to download the game pretty easily. The game is really short--a few hours at most.

Short version of my thoughts: This game is incredible!

The game is pretty simple: within the first 5 minutes you gain the ability to do a double-jump, and the more snowflakes you collect, the higher the double-jump goes. Scattered across the levels are animals you can sketch, and you can unlock shortcuts that let you sled quickly to the end of the trail, but the heart of the game is collecting snowflakes.

There are so many facets that make this game work:

1) The brevity of the game means the gameplay doesn't wear out its welcome, a problem that plagues a lot of indie games.

2) The game just oozes personality. The art style is warm, and the way each day ends with Mom singing you to sleep is just heartwarming. The music is beautiful and fits perfectly with the theme of a young boy at play.

3) Details details details. The backgrounds show where you've been and where you're going. The sled shortcuts are clearly marked. Mom won't call you home while you're underground or up in the mountains since there's no way you'd hear her calling you in those areas. Superbly responsive controls.

The only problem I had was the odd hitch in gameplay where the video would just freeze for a split second (like a dropped frame or three). I don't think it's your fault--Sequence (which also used XNA) has the same problem and I think Feep said it was a bug in XNA itself. I think the only way to fix it would be to rewrite the game without using the XNA framework, which isn't really feasible. (this also means those looking for a Mac version are SOL).

I voted for you on Steam Greenlight, and I hope you get the votes you need. I urge anyone who hasn't voted yet to do it ASAP.

Thank you very much!

I found myself playing well past when I though I was going to tonight. Collecting snowflakes is fun and addictive, and everything is warm and charming.

The sled ride out of the house always make me want to play for just one more day.

Too bad to hear about how things are going with Steam. They're missing out.

Great job! Thanks again, and best of luck.

jgkspsx

I'd like to get a key. And possibly also buy the game. Thank you for your generosity.

Edit: voted up on greenlight, too. Good luck!

TheYanger

Came back home and got what I presume to be 100% (all areas checkmarked, all animals done, sparkly etc).

Should note that as I type this I found a bug where once I've beaten it if I go back to the last area and finish the cutscene, you're prompted to hit 'space' to end the game, doing that did nothing except take away my ability to jump.

I'm noticing an issue with the game, but it could be a Desura issue, I'm not sure.

Every time I start up Desura, Marvin's Mittens goes back to "Not Ready" and I have to reinstall some stuff every time. It appears to save my progress either way, but still... Is anyone else experiencing this?

Seanspeed

Banned
Just played a couple hours of this, seems really great, BUT I wish you would add a button to mute the music. The music is a little busy for me in context of the gameplay/setting, so I wish I could just have the sounds effects and no music or play something like Stars of the Lid in the background.
The music is probably my favorite part of it!

Top Bottom