• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free iPods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and didn't really see anything about this. From what I can gather , it's legit.

You go here and sign up for some service, and then refer 5 friends. If your 5 friends all sign up for a service as well, you get either a free 20Gb iPod, a Mini (Silver, Gold, Blue, Pink, or Green), or a $250 Gift Certificate at the iTunes store. the bad news is that if you don't get 5 people to sign up, no ipod. But, you can apparently send people there after the fact with a link, so it doesn't have to be 5 people immediately. For example, I sign up for the service and then ask 5 people here to sign up, they do, and then they ask 5 more people. free iPods for everyone!

So has anyone done this? You know, the cynical part of me can't help but feel there is a huge catch to this. I'm not going to sign up for it all the way until I hear some varied feedback. What do you think of the deal?

Someone asked if he could post this a while ago, and the mods said no....or maybe it was some other free iPod/pyramid-type thing.

Really? I basically knew it was too good to be true, but I wasn't sure.

damn. I wanted a free 20gig iPod! :(

EDIT: Really? You couldn't find 5 people to sign up for the columbia house dvd thing? You get any 5 DVDs for .49! I did that a few months ago and got the Black Hawk Down 3 disc set for 49cents.

So basically I shouldn't sign up for this then, it's not good?

ShadowRed

Banned
I got saw this in a newsgroup a while ago and was wondering if it was on the up and up. Hope you get a response before the mods step in.

Boogie9IGN

ShadowRed said:
Can't you just make up 5 names and use 5 different credit card numbers?

Need 5 addresses, and I didn't know that they actually had to do it too, so I guess Im stuck making a new one

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Within about 9 iterations of the pyramid almost the entire worlds population would be covered (probably not but close)

EDIT: Well it's a lot harder than it sounds.......

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Yes, I've done this and I'm currently waiting for shipment of the new iPods from eCost (freeipods.com supplier). BTW, this is also the same company that runs freevideogames.com (Gratis Internet). People have already recieved the 15 gig iPods before apple discontinued them, check out freeipodguide.com for more info.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Right now they have a deal with ebay where you can simply sign-up and bid on something. As long as you're the highest bidder you (and other referrals) get credit. If you use a ISP email (not hotmail or yahoo) to sign-up with ebay you don't even need to use a credit card.

Edit: I've been following this deal for a few weeks now, so I can try and answer any questions you guys have.

really? cool. Maybe I will sign up...

but then I will have to find 5 "friends" because while my first post was close to maybe violating the TOS, I'm sure a direct link to the referral page would be. :)

EDIT: the columbia house one is good too. plus, with the columbia house one you can cancel when you fulfill your obligation and start over again witn 5 more 49cent movies.

Miguel

I'm tempted...ARGH.

:(

Now to find an email addy I can use that doesn't require a CC#.

We should start a huge GAF pyramid scheme. LET'S MOVE PEOPLE! GO GO GO!!!

Justin Bailey said:
Right now they have a deal with ebay where you can simply sign-up and bid on something. As long as you're the highest bidder you (and other referrals) get credit. If you use a ISP email (not hotmail or yahoo) to sign-up with ebay you don't even need to use a credit card.

Edit: I've been following this deal for a few weeks now, so I can try and answer any questions you guys have.

so about the ebay thing: how long does it take to credit to your account? and do you have to win the auction, or do you just have to bid on something?

yoshifumi

Banned
i'd be down for a pyramid i said forget it after i realized i had to refer 5 people.

edit: Link removed

USE MY REFERRAL I LIKE FREE STUFF!!!

Justin Bailey

------ ------
bune duggy said:
so about the ebay thing: how long does it take to credit to your account? and do you have to win the auction, or do you just have to bid on something?
No, you don't have to win, just be the highest bidder (immediately being outbid doesn't count). And people have said that it can take 1-3 business days for the ebay referral to go through.

When I did this, the ebay one wasn't available and I used ancestry.com. You get immediate credit, they don't charge your credit card, and you can cancel the free trial immediately (so long as its during customer service hours). As long as you cancel within 14-days, your card will not be charged.

Justin Bailey said:
No, you don't have to win, just be the highest bidder (immediately being outbid doesn't count). And people have said that it can take 1-3 business days for the ebay referral to go through.

When I did this, the ebay one wasn't available and I used ancestry.com. You get immediate credit, they don't charge your credit card, and you can cancel the free trial immediately (so long as its during customer service hours). As long as you cancel within 14-days, your card will not be charged.

cool. I decided to bid on something I'd want if I won, so I bid on the full set of Marvelscomic books, 1-4 and 0. Alex Ross = best ever.

EDIT: aliases are legal, right? I can make at least 3 more email addresses for ebay...do you think they'll get wise to it?

so anyway, i signed up, did the ancestry.com thing and i'm already verified... if anyone is gonna sign up and wants to be one of my referrals, PM me or something...

and that's 2 now that aren't referred by me. dammit, I'm just gonna link the damn thing!

EDIT: maybe not....you never know what kind of mood the mods will wake up in. if you want the link (or another email address to use for ebay - for a referral price) PM me.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
For anyone that's interested, here's a step-by-step I wrote when I was still trying to get referrals using the ancestry.com offer:

Note to mods: I am not posting a referral link, just a link to their website, I'm putting this here for information purposes only

This is an explanation on how to get an iPod absolutely free. Here's how it works:

1. Go to http://www.freeiPods.com/
2. Sign-up, make sure you put in your real address
3. Complete one of the offers. I would suggest the ancestry.com one since it is the easiest to cancel once you've signed up. Yes, it does require credit/debit card information, however, they do not charge your credit card. You are signing up for a 14-day FREE trial. They will only charge you if you haven't cancelled after 14 days (canceling is explained in the next step)
4. After you've completed the ancestry.com offer, call 1-800-262-3787 (ancestry.com's customer service line) between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM Monday through Friday and 10 AM through 7 PM on Saturday and select option 4. The person you talk to will try and sell you stuff but just tell them you want to cancel your subscription immediately. You will get a confirmation number to ensure that the cancellation process is complete (if for whatever reason you don't like ancestry.com then do the same thing with the AOL for broadband offer).
5. In your welcoming email from freeipods.com you will receive a link that you can send to people for a referral (you can also view it under the "Refer Friends" link on the site). If you refer five people to freeipods.com and they complete one offer each, then you will receive your iPod.

I also did a little more info gathering, you can view it here:
http://www.uncg.edu/~cmcely/freeipod.html

Justin Bailey

------ ------
bune duggy said:
EDIT: aliases are legal, right? I can make at least 3 more email addresses for ebay...do you think they'll get wise to it?
Maybe, some people have reported that they were able to create multiple accounts and get away with it, but keep in mind that if they suspect your referrals are non-unique in any way they can suspend your account and you won't get jack. Some people have been put on "hold" (nice way of saying you're fuXXX0rd) because they had people use the same shipping address for their referrals. Although I had 2 of my roomates do it and nothing happened to me.

Justin Bailey said:
Maybe, some people have reported that they were able to create multiple accounts and get away with it, but keep in mind that if they suspect your referrals are non-unique in any way they can suspend your account and you won't get jack. Some people have been put on "hold" (nice way of saying you're fuXXX0rd) because they had people use the same shipping address for their referrals. Although I had 2 of my roomates do it and nothing happened to me.

I have family who will be none the wiser in at least 4 different states. *evilly rubs hands together*

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Burger said:
have you actually got your free ipod in your hands?

Silver Ipod minis rock.
No, my account has been in progress (meaning its been sent to the supplier) since apple announced the new ones. This guy has, though, he even took pictures of the UPS guy coming to his door, lol.

http://www.freeipodguide.com/

ups_arrival.jpg

invoice.jpg

innerbox.jpg

Justin Bailey said:
No, my account has been in progress (meaning its been sent to the supplier) since apple announced the new ones. This guy has, though, he even took pictures of the UPS guy coming to his door, lol.

ups_arrival.jpg

invoice.jpg

innerbox.jpg

alright, you scared me. no cheating. I will however make email addresses for people who need one. I have a domain and I think up to 10 addresses. PM for the info.

EDIT: and with that I'm spent. It's midnight, time for bed.

fbcamp

Banned
link removed - Admin

Yeah so now I feel dirty for signing up to this thing.... Might as well start pimping it in this thread, sign up under me and you'll be a better person. :)

robochimp

Yeah if this site is run by gratis you'll definately get your stuff. I got an Xbox, 7 games, and like 15 dvds. I also made like 500 dollars from a simillar site that gave cash. It cost me about 100 dollars all in all. I was unemployed at the time so it was swell

type9

I was wondering why my friend wanted me to sign up for this today. Ok, here's mine too:

link removed - Admin

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I will hop into this.....

Lets get a strong refer group....

oh and I just got the new 4th generation IPOD this weekend, the 20 gig, but you can never have too many IPODS :)..

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
I will also get in on this if people will help me out. I want an Ipod damnit!

So we just sign up underneath one of the other members referalls to help them out and then we're signed up and ready to go and hopefully others will sign up for ours? Is that how this works?

aparisi2274

I am doing it. I got my 5 friends to complete an offer. I am waiting for confirmation. I know this is legit, because someone has a website dedicated to this freeipods.com and they have all the information and he posted pictures of the UPS guy bringing his ipod.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I would do this, but I'm too nervous about my credit/debit card info getting out there. The last time I tried something like this, I had to go through a big ordeal with a company (I think it may have been freecreditreport.com) that charged $80 to my card without me agreeing to pay for anything. I eventually did get it refunded, but it was still a big pain.

So, you know. Word to the wise.

aparisi2274 said:
I am doing it. I got my 5 friends to complete an offer. I am waiting for confirmation. I know this is legit, because someone has a website dedicated to this freeipods.com and they have all the information and he posted pictures of the UPS guy bringing his ipod.

Holy cow, you mean like this?!

Justin Bailey said:

ups_arrival.jpg

invoice.jpg

innerbox.jpg

:)

i still see no mods online. I would like to ask if this is ok before posting a referral link because I don't want to get into trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom