• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: When your costs for a game exceed $200 million, exclusivity is your Achilles’ heel

ThaGuy

Most of us known this was a problem when a game selling a million copies isn't a success anymore. In the PS2/Xbox/GC era, when games hit over a million, they came out with those players choice copies for a discount. Now games have to hit 10 million just to break even and that's pretty hard to do.

Kuwitzzer

Sony have repeatedly stated recently that they aren't doing fine.
They are not doing fine in the sense that they are not earning as much as they expected. Why? Because where are the exclusives? Where are the games from the first party? Absymal 2023 output, garbage showcase. Also, if they are doing not fine with their console business, how could they be fine when they focus on 2 platforms? The rise in game sales will be compromised by the fall in console sales, I see no difference.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
When port a game to another platform I expect it to sell equally to the other platforms, you guys might be impressed by 5% of what those games sell on Playstation because it still money in the bank, but it's pathetic and not worth the effort.
Especially when their focus has obviously been redirected to do it.

Why would you expect late ports of single player games to consistently sell as much as on the platform they’ve been on before?

5%? Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Days Gone and others sold much more than that on PC.

SHA

It looks like pc and switch 3, or whatever it is called, will be my setup for 10th gen, I view games as past/present tense, 80/20 ratio, mostly past, that doesn't mean I'm not optimistic about upcoming games, future games are just a tiny piece of the whole thing called video games, focusing on upcoming games constantly isn't practical for me, anyone think the same way?

Last edited:

Elios83

Nintendo seems to do fine. Too fine actually wtf.
By carving their own market, giving up on competing in the high end AAA space, with their games having the production values of PS3 games and by rarely discounting anything at all.

This is a bit high price to pay.
What Layden is saying is true but things are not black or white.
Sony needs to have a few success stories like Helldivers2, they need to offset lack of growth in the console space and rising costs by using the PC platform but that doesn't mean giving up on the rest or compromising the console business like Microsoft has done this gen.
They need a balanced strategy and I think that's what Jim Ryan has tried to do, now it's about releasing these projects on the markets and see if they work.
Things like Helldivers2 are a great sign for them.

Shawn Layden is so salty... this is guy greenlight all the budget from US Studios since 2014 until end 2019.

He literally did nothing of note at Sony when he was an executive. I don't know why he's given any attention. The only thing he did was turn E3 into a shitfest for Sony, and now it's gone. So we have him to thank for that. I still remember the awful E3 where they went around to different live events with TLOU and Flute Guy for GoT.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Other quotes I think are of interest.....

"We’re not doing enough to get heretofore non-console people into console gaming. We’re not going to attract them by doing more of the shit we’re doing now. If 95% of the world doesn’t want to play Call of Duty, Fortnite, and Grand Theft Auto, is the industry just going to make more Call of Duty, Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto? That’s not going to get you anybody else."

"It’s crazy how you can lay off 900 people and have 300 open recs on your website. There’s a mismatch between what companies think they need and what they actually have. What did they say, 12,000 or 13,000 last year and we’re already up to 7,000 just in February of this year?"

"I don’t want to sound like a broken record, because I’ve been saying this for five years, but it’s the rising cost of development. That’s the existential threat. It’s not “live service gaming is tricky” or anything else. When we’re in the $250-300 million to make a game world…I’m giving a talk about this tomorrow at Stanford. Gaming is reaching its cathedral moment. There was a world hundreds of years ago where they built cathedrals, massive edifices to God, throughout Europe and around the world. Eventually, indentured labor only takes you so far. Then it stopped. It became prohibitively time-consuming and expensive. They were wonderful and beautiful. You can look at any of them across Europe and think, “That’s a marvel.” But we don’t make them anymore. We don’t make them because the math doesn’t work. If you have four walls and a roof, you can call it a church, and God will come visit. You don’t need the cathedral anymore."

"I’m afraid that we’ve bought into the triple-A, 80 hours of gameplay, 50 gigabytes of game, and if we can’t reach that then we can’t do anything. I’m hoping for a return of double-A gaming. I’m all for that."

Sony are usually much quicker to copy Nintendo but it looks like they're finally starting to get the message.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gta4 was 100mil and cost 60$
Now games are 200-500 mil and cost 70$
So the math. Games should be 160$ by now with inflation lol. We have it cheap

Ogbert

I expect we will see AAA games cut in half and sold to us twice.

A very simple trick to pull with the next Last of Us would be to develop a 30 hour game and then sell it in two parts, each at full price.

People will moan.

But they will still buy it.

And it's two more games to remaster/remake, rather than one.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This right here. Despite the outrageous cost of Spiderman and soon to be X Men

Microsoft would 100% go back and do that deal if they could
When Xbox was all about that they were golden. It’s their other efforts that ruined everything. Greed

ckaneo

I expect we will see AAA games cut in half and sold to us twice.

A very simple trick to pull with the next Last of Us would be to develop a 30 hour game and then sell it in two parts, each at full price.

People will moan.

But they will still buy it.

And it's two more games to remaster/remake, rather than one.
They actually checked the math on this with Spiderman 3. But the numbers actually werent as favorable so you think.

Lupin25

Mainly applies to games like Helldivers 2.

Definitely the type of ongoing profit Sony needs to help mitigate those rising costs.

Bogus or not, Sony doesn't make enough money from those games to pay the bills. If it weren't for the 30% cut they get from third party sales they would be losing money at their current levels of spending. Expensive games need to do more than make back their development budget and marketing costs for them to be worth the investment these days.
I mean, it’s simple math, the numbers are there.

Possibly the most expensive marketing cost for any Sony game was for Niche-Man 2, and it was only $45m.

The data is also incomplete since a few games only have sales for 1.5-2 years, they do continue to sell after that.

But it’s understandable that a lot of people keep saying Sony doesn’t make quite some money from their first party games, even “respectable” people from the industry like Daniel Ahmad keep repeating this nonsense.

Last edited:
dk2.jpg

Nintendo can make numerous games with the budget of one Sony game.
Love how you cherry-picked a 2D GBA remake, to try and illustrate your point. As if that’s typical of a modern Switch era Nintendo game. 😂. Versus like, ya know, TotK or Mario Odyssey.

👍

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

Possibly the most expensive marketing cost for any Sony game was for Niche-Man 2, and it was only $45m.

The data is also incomplete since a few games only have sales for 1.5-2 years, they do continue to sell after that.

But it’s understandable that a lot of people keep saying Sony doesn’t make quite some money from their first party games, even “respectable” people from the industry like Daniel Ahmad keep repeating this nonsense.
Nobody said they aren't making good money. What people are saying is that games aren't making enough money. They need to spend less on games they make so that what they earn is enough to pay for the business so they they can keep making games.

Varteras

Gold Member

Nobody said they aren't making good money. What people are saying is that games aren't making enough money. They need to spend less on games they make so that what they earn is enough to pay for the business so they they can keep making games.

Like Reburn is saying, Sony needs to improve their margins. The whole company, including PlayStation, has a spending problem. They make fuckloads of money. They just have a hard time being in a position to keep most of it. There are companies in the industry pocketing 20% to 40% of their revenue. Not small companies either. Sony struggles to even hit 10%.

Spider-Man 2 has been a prime example. It was three times more expensive than the first game 5 years ago, and there wasn't a good explanation as to why. Even Ragnarok didn't cost that much. I think, if I recall correctly, that game was $100 million cheaper to make. Even that game had a huge budget, too. While it's true that Ragnarok was in development a year less than SM2, there is no good reason why that extra year meant that much more of a budget.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Love how you picked cherry-picked a 2D GBA remake, to try and illustrate your point. As if that’s typical of a modern Switch era Nintendo game. 😂. Versus like, ya know, TotK or Mario Odyssey.

👍

There’s plenty more.

Switch Sports
Everybody Switch
1-2 Switch
Mario Tennis
Brain Training
Warioware

Games like Zelda are the exception not the norm, and it’s still a fraction of what Sony spends.

Kumomeme

the problem is the console platform atmost stuck at around 100-120m of install base. if they can expand this number then it might be different story and whoever manage to do that gonna go down in history for a breaking streak of record.

ideally, accessible price of console is nice. but there is a reason why they need to stick at certain current price range and performance. developers wise, manufacturer wise and customers wise. streaming like Stadia is good option but fast internet and latency is still problem everywhere.

increasing of game price also play role. ideally sub service would lower the barrier but it is not sustain like buying actual game.

expanding the console to be home media device also good but with lot of competition today it not gonna be easy and risk of alienating core audience and affecting the console design. this is what MS attempted with X1 before.

there is also option of expanding the brand into various kind of platform like handheld, streaming etc which is i believe what both Sony and MS currently doing.

another option is balance their output with AAA and AA around the way to minimize the loss. what Sony currently doing by expanding their franchise beyond videogames also good since it would raise their IP and brand value but still no guarantee.

There’s plenty more.

Switch Sports
Everybody Switch
1-2 Switch
Mario Tennis
Brain Training
Warioware

Games like Zelda are the exception not the norm, and it’s still a fraction of what Sony spends.
Plenty more higher-budget games too, you’re just continuing to only mention the lower-end ones.

And how do you know the budgets of the big, high-end Nintendo games? You’re just making an assumption. None of that is public information.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I can see Gran Turismo benefiting on PC. It might coincide with PSVR2 launching PC support. It depends on the game really but if a Sony AAA single player game sells 3M on PS5 at launch and 1M on PC that's worthwhile. It's an extra 70 million revenue or so day 1. Could be 30% of the budget covered at launch.

With all these Xbox and Bethesda games coming to playstation it's gonna become a pretty crowded space.

drganon

Glad to see the former PS boss speak the truth about this.

Good to see Sony also came to this realization a while ago with the porting of their biggest PS franchises to PC.

Can't wait to get more big budget Sony games on PC :messenger_sun:
Nice stealth port begging thread.

Dane

He's right, you're sacrificing your ROI for higher numbers until the math doesn't add on, imagine that a game like Syphon Filter in '99 sold 1 million copies in a year and brought 3-5x its investment, it can feed a plethora of projects back then, now you have Spiderman 2 with a ROI of 75%, that means they will recoup it but they can only finance almost two projects. You're going to a point as we say here "selling the lunch to buy the dinner".

No wonder why the industry is filled with DLC and other microtransactions such as skins, because their ROI is far higher, miles morales was a massive success to bring 300%, other companies cashflow are 80% microtransactions.

Last edited:
When port a game to another platform I expect it to sell equally to the other platforms, you guys might be impressed by 5% of what those games sell on Playstation because it still money in the bank, but it's pathetic and not worth the effort.
Especially when their focus has obviously been redirected to do it.
Huh, then I guess Sony should have made their PSP exclusives for the Nintendo DS since Nintendo DS games sold more.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Plenty more higher-budget games too, you’re just continuing to only mention the lower-end ones.

And how do you know the budgets of the big high-end Nintendo games? You’re just making an assumption.

You’re free to believe Mario Wonder had the budget of God of War Ragnarok and Zelda had the budget of Spiderman 2.

I’d bet that you’re wrong, and I think most people would agree. But you’re free to believe it.

I'd be all over consoles again if they'd actually start diversifying their portfolio of software in a push for constant new AA titles. But they won't, so PC it is.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

He has an interesting point in terms of growth and sales, and also to his point. How many of those sales are double and triple dips. That 250M audience really does seem to be true.

PS1 grew the industry, Wii blue ocean strategy grew the industy. I have no idea if those consumers remained or bailed or went to mobile. I would think Xbox opened the console space to PC gamers even if only slightly or for a brief time.

Switch introduced a new paradigm, but even with it's massive sales, how many switches have people bought an owned?

PS3/Xbox/Wii is probably the most successful and balanced generation where all 3 companies sold well, 85M/85M/100M+.

Consoles are just swapping around that same 250M customer base now.

GHound

the cumulative consoles out there never gets over 250 million. It just doesn’t.
PS3:>87 million
360:>84 million
Wii:>101 million
generation: >272m

Then everything that follows but the Wii U depends on if you want to take a nice long look at the fact that we currently have a market that is predominantly cross gen games.
Shrugs GIF

Also doesn't this twat work in an advisory role for Tencent these days?

Last edited:

AmuroChan

If the sole purpose of the exclusives is to sell the most number of copies possible, then yes, releasing them on all platforms would achieve that. However, that's not the sole purpose of exclusives. Exclusives also serves as a differentiator from the competition. There's a reason why Stranger Things isn't on Disney+. Could Netflix make more money if they license their original content out to other streaming platforms? Absolutely, but to make their own platform stand out it's important to have a catalog of content that people can only find on Netflix. Having a robust catalog of exclusives helps with brand building and association. Nintendo has that kind of brand power and attach rates with their first party games because every person knows Nintendo games can only be played on Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:

sachos

I really like this guy, E3 2016 was a legendary conference with him. Still watch it from time to time. I agree with his statement about insane budgets, but they will have to be careful if they start doing day one releases for single player games. They have to really look at Xbox numbers and see if its worth it or not.

Megatron

The only reason supposedly exclusives are bad is because the market loser says so. Gotta let more people play is the spin.
Sony and Nintendo are doing just fine on that front.

The balance to PC is not making your home console irrelevant like Microsoft has done trying to chase the market leader.
Ah. I see. So when Sony nearly shat themselves at the thought of CoD going exclusive its because they would be the market loser?

He has an interesting point in terms of growth and sales, and also to his point. How many of those sales are double and triple dips. That 250M audience really does seem to be true.

PS1 grew the industry, Wii blue ocean strategy grew the industy. I have no idea if those consumers remained or bailed or went to mobile. I would think Xbox opened the console space to PC gamers even if only slightly or for a brief time.

Switch introduced a new paradigm, but even with it's massive sales, how many switches have people bought an owned?

PS3/Xbox/Wii is probably the most successful and balanced generation where all 3 companies sold well, 85M/85M/100M+.

Consoles are just swapping around that same 250M customer base now.

I challenge this notion. The PS1 did not grow the industry, the industry was growing regardless and Sony was present with the technology of the time when Nintendo missed hard. Had FF7 and all of those other big Playstation hits come to N64, Nintendo would have seen record growth and a huge success building upon the SNES.

The Wii certainly did not grow the industry, it was a complete illusion that Nintendo foolishly bought into. It just so happened the waggle controls and cheap pricing made it an impulse buy for everyone. This is why your weird aunt got one and raved about Wii Sports for 2 months before chucking it in a closet and never speaking of it again. None of those people bought a Wii-U or a Switch, because they enjoyed playing a game or two and that's it. They are not gamers on a regular basis, and they don't care about it enough to purchase an expensive console.

I don't think it's crazy to think that we have reached a peak of people who are interested enough in gaming to buy a console, in the first world. If these companies want to grow and bring new players to the table, they are going to need to reduce the cost to play and appeal to the developing world and growing countries. The reduction in game budgets will help with the outreach in these markets - because very few people in India are going to drop $70 on a PS5 game. Other than that, there are so many options for entertainment out there - not everyone is going to be interested in video games. Music, movies, books, hell even tabletop and board games. There are so many choices for entertainment, and population is not rising as quickly as it used to. All bad for growth.

Something that is not doing the industry any favors is how we treat kids. I see parents giving kids an ipad to shut them up, and letting them play shitty free games from app stores. When I was 5 my dad introduced me to his NES and let me play Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. He never ended up getting into video games, but he got me started. I understand putting a PS5 in front of a 5 year old is not the same thing, it's a lot more complicated now. Instead all these kids know are free, shitty iOS games - so why do we wonder why there is a growth problem in the console business?

If a game of such high quality like Ghost of Tsushima can be made for $40 million, there's no reason why games should cost $100 million, $200+ million. Gaming studios need to rein these developers in, and it seems like that is exactly what's happening now.

Aces High

Without exclusives their hardware is obsolete, look at xbox. I can see instead of a PS6, PS7 etc, PS will end up just shipping a whole customisable gaming PC with a built in PS hub/launcher etc so you'd still have to pay for PS plus to buy + play current/future PS games and play them online. Then they'd just release upgrade components instead of whole new consoles
PlayStation has to put the gamer in the center of their mission if they want to make multiplatform happen.

Multiplayer games like Helldivers 2 are a hard reality check for console gamers as they highlight the scammy aspects of the PlayStation eco system.

On Steam, you don't have to pay for online play.

Helldivers 2 is a crossplay game. Both console and PC gamers play together on the same servers. But only PlayStation customers have to pay for the "infrastructure". It's obvious at this point that the online fee on PlayStation is just a scam.

On Steam, you can return the game and get a full refund.

You don't even need a reason. You can just write "For the lulz" and Valve will send the money back within hours. Admittedly: Valve is a private company. They're not listed on the stock exchange and can prioritize long term success over short term profit. Sony management might have much less leeway even if they wanted to change these things.

The only way PlayStation will be succesful on PC is if they release their games day one on Steam. It's important that Sony understands that.

The reason is the viral power of PC gaming.

The PC crowd can create crazy hype trains out of nothing that go beyond everything you see on any other platform.

They are the most hardcore of the hardcore, the best connected, and the most unforgiving playerbase. But they're also the most loyal fans if you treat them with respect.

The entire Battle Royal genre for example is based on PC community work that got started whithout any professional marketing whatsoever.

If this entire industry goes down in flames, PC gaming will just shake it off and create their own games.

Balancing the benefits of console gaming vs PC gaming will be one of the most challenging tasks for Sony.

PC gaming has advantages like free choice of input. Mouse and keyboard allows for much better communication in multiplayer games and give you a much better user experience in strategy games and shooters.

Should Sony allow mouse and keyboard on PlayStation?

My reasonable thinking says no as it would be too far away from the roots of the PlayStation brand.

My intuition, however, says yes for several reasons:

- Crossplay won't go anywhere. Why not give console players the option to level the field.

- M+KB gives PlayStation a new revenue stream. People buy console + 2 controllers. Why not let them buy console + 2 controllers + M + KB? Make these peripherals high quality and even PC gamers will buy them.

- The most important part: The entry price to PC gaming is crazy high and rising. In times where PC gaming becomes handheld gaming, PlayStation's niche shouldn't be couch gaming. It should be cheap entry price gaming. PlayStation 5 is an amazing gaming machine. I think many people would love to use it as a cheap gaming PC with M + KB.

Last point: Game prices

PlayStation games have to be cheaper when you have a PS Plus sub. Get rid of the 'pay for online scam' and give subscribers a discount on games all year round.

For the highest PS Plus tier, subscribers should get a price watch feature. So if Valve or Microsoft or whoever does a sale, highest tier PS Plus subscribers should get matched prices for multiplatform games in that sale.

Fredrik

It's all about expanding the console installbase and reeling in a portion of the PC demographic.
I wonder how often that actually happen; PC gamers buying a console because of an exclusive.
🤔

Don’t have any numbers but most of my friends are gaming on PC and none of them has gone from PC to PC+console (except Switch). But many of them has gone from console to console+PC.

Personally I’m divided on this PC porting strategy. I mean I obviously love it as a PC gamer but I 100% think the consequence is going to be that less people buy their console and console versions of their games, even with long delays, because that’s my own strategy going forward.

In short I think this could happen:
Console -> console+PC -> PC

Top Bottom