• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From CPU to GPU | The death of the I486 and Birth of PC 3D Gaming - Living in the Past (NX Gamer video)

Kazza

Whether it was an Atari Jaguar, a 3DO, a Saturn or a Playstation, when you bought a console in the mid-90s, you could be confident that you were getting a cutting edge gaming experience in the home (the arcades were still well ahead). A PC was still worth it, even if it was just to be able to get online and surf the internet. My dad bought us a Windows 95 Pentium PC primarily for that reason. The only gaming I did on it were Civ 2 and Championship Manager (which to be fair were absolute classics which you could play pretty much forever) and some point and click adventures, with the Saturn providing more action-type games. Total War: Shogun would be enough to convince me to get a Voodoo GPU, at which point I guess you could say it was finally more powerful than my Saturn.

Looking forward to seeing the Dreamcast compared to the PCs of the time in the next episode (hopefully he'll cover the N64 too).

raduque

I remember our first family PC in 1993 was a 386 25mhz. Came with 2mb ram, (eventually upgraded, my dad got 8mb from a guy at his work who upgraded to 16mb). It had a 20 or 40mb hdd and was a Circuit City display model so it came with a ton of games already loaded. Commander Keen, Wolf3d, Doom, MS Flight Sim, Bionic Commando. I had to make a custom autoexec.bat and config.sys to play Doom until it got upgraded.

My first PC was a 386DX/33 with 4 megs of RAM, and i really, really wish I still had it. I want to buy another one but the prices are kind of crazy, like $300+ lol

I still remember getting Sim City 2000 for my birthday and it not working because there wasn't enough RAM. So I did what any kid would do in that situation and read the manual front to back before bed to imagine I was playing it. And what was on like literally the last couple pages of the manual? Instructions on how to make a boot disk to free up RAM. It blew my mind and made me more excited to wake up the next morning than I may have ever been.

God damn I love SC2000.

pawel86ck

Banned
TNT2 segment shows quake 1 running at 640x480 in software mode in 40fps and that's now how people back then have played this game. In openGL even TNT2m64 has over 100fps in 640x480 not to mention standard TNT2.

The first game I booted on our shiny new 486DX was Wing Commander 2, and I was blown away. It ran so insanely smooth, I had been playing it at a friend's house at probably 20 or so fps.

Top Bottom