• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoft unsure why Elden Ring was so successful sales wise

Mr Hyde

Years of hard work perfecting a brilliant formula, that over time accumulated a great reception and a hardcore fanbase + George RR Martin hot off the heels from GoT, a cultural phenomenon + open world, which is the most successful genre right now in games + incredible world building and aesthetic

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Huckleberry Hound Dog GIF by Boomerang Official

ungalo

Mouth to ear, and the critical reception did its part, the game sits at 97 metacritic. Hard to say who is influencing who in that case but i think a 97 means you're going to sell a shit tons of games, everybody wants to play it and gets caught in the hype (it happened the exact same way for BG3).

Other Souls-game did have a good reception critically but not ahead of other good games.

And yeah the structure of the game also played a part in it.

Last edited:

Fbh

If I had to guess it was a mix of open world + GRRM + Incredibly positive reception by both media and most youtubers/influencers.

Either way it's good to hear it won't change the way they make games, I hope that's actually true and not something they are just saying.
While the game selling so well was great, it made me worry there would now be this expectation that every FROM game has to sell 15 million or be seen as a disappointment. You can already see some hint of this with Kadowaka being disappointed by the AC6 sales even though it reportedly sold more than every other entry in the franchise.....combined.

Last edited:

Holammer

Good developer with an excellent track-record made people excited about it, causing such a positive buzz even friends of mine that never touched a souls-like bought it.
Then there's the fact that they released it on all the systems and thus reducing the barrier to entry, unlike a certain PS4 exclusive which should have pulled in a lot of players with its Lovecraftian themes.

Releasing in Feb was surely a big part of it - not competing with games before Christmas.

It was an incredible game and Souls meets open world RPG (which as Assassins Creed shows, has become the most popular single player type game), but I think if it was competing with FIFA, COD, Assassins Creed, etc etc then it would not have done as well.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Every Youtuber under the sun hyping it as God’s gift to the gaming humanity may have had an influence, I guess.

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe this is an effect that they still think their souls are kinda of niche and never sold that much.

Astral Dog

Every Youtuber under the sun hyping it as God’s gift to the gaming humanity may have had an influence, I guess.
I was going to wait for a sale but a YouTuber i watch called it a gaming masterpiece,everybody was hyping it like it was the best videogame in the world so i bought it day one

I tried,but didn't like the open world design and deleted it 😅it was my fault i wanted to be a part of the launch hype 😋 but i don't like fromsoft as much as those fans

This:

+
Good timing. Incredible timing really. Barely any other AAA of it’s caliber in the year itself that was pretty dry already.

This was a lightning in a bottle situation that worked out amazingly for them.
yep. elden ring is 'the souls game for people who, up till now, have been afraid of souls games'. the open world format made the game less enclosed/intimidating, more approachable, & convinced a number of people to give it a try...

but, yeah, the timing thing cannot be understated (&, to a degree, timing also benefited bloodborne, as well)...

Last edited:

Closer

Game is good plus social media hyping it up to 11. Guess this is a good formula.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Halo effect. They built a reputation with the Dark Souls games.

Plus the game was fantastic and word spread quickly. Nowadays with Internet, happens fast.

ungalo

Not just because it's open world

but because it's emergent open world, like BOTW. Tons of stuff to discover and explore all over the place, rather than checklist open world
As i understand the word emergent, Elden Ring is not emergent at all, unlike BoTW.

There is discovery yes, it doesn't come through the mechanics.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The sense of surprise and discovery!

Mix that with social media and everything else and you have lightning in a bottle!

Last edited:
As i understand the word emergent, Elden Ring is not emergent at all, unlike BoTW.

There is discovery yes, it doesn't come through the mechanics.

Emergent doesnt have anything to do with mechanics. If that were the case, BOTW wouldn't be emergent either. A stamina bar isn't a huge mechanic

Vblad88

"always wanted to try souls, but I heard ER is the only accessible" did wonders.

Too bad game design strip the satisfaction from progress with its "finish dozens of same looking dungeons to level-up so high that you can kill a boss with range thunder magic alone". Got bored of this stuff after 120h of playthrough at Giant Mountaintops when it turned out I was 30 levels below recommended, but I guess it is still a good deal for a Dark Souls newbie...

Last edited:

ikbalCO

In addition to being one of the best games ever made, it was also the perfect podcast game. And there are just millions of podcasts to listen to these days

Top Bottom