• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoft unsure why Elden Ring was so successful sales wise

ungalo

Emergent doesnt have anything to do with mechanics. If that were the case, BOTW wouldn't be emergent either. A stamina bar isn't a huge mechanic
When we talk about emergent gameplay it's the fact that 2 systemic elements can collide and create something new, an unexpected situation, a tool for the player to use or something like that. I think. Most of what surprises you in BoTW when you play the first time comes from the huge implications that the basic rules and gameplay elements of the game have. Just basically the different powers of Link, physics, interactions and AI.

There is nothing like that in ER. It's a big map with enemies to fight and the memorable moments are the discovery of a new place, or a new boss.

Shut0wen

I mean it was literally the first great open world rpg for next gen consoles but i think the biggest factor was definitely the timing, literally the start of the year which is always empty

ungalo

I mean it was literally the first great open world rpg for next gen consoles but i think the biggest factor was definitely the timing, literally the start of the year which is always empty
February-March is usually not empty.

2021-2022 were very poor years for video games and particularly AAA though, the game had all the time in the world to shine for sure.

Klosshufvud

Any lesser developer would have let the success get to their heads and thought themselves in a bigger league of play. But FS is intent on just being themselves and making games they want to play too. Armored Core 6 shows this over and over again. It's a game by FS but also for FS.

They made a reputation with their other games. Also it had a “This game is the open-world fantasy game to get right now,” sentiment/vibe that I don’t think any game has had since Skyrim or the Witcher 3.

My friend who wouldn’t even touch the Souls series got it. I think the fact it was a new IP, and not Dark Souls 4 in name, swayed fence sitters I imagine since there was no lore to keep up on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It fucking goooooood and addictive as fuck, I‘m already doing another playthrough even long after platinum the game……it just pure fun and without any GaaS and live service crap to keep player engagement.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

" we can't believe why our garbage game sold well with all the stuttering and technical mess we did . We can't even get the 4090 to run this game day one properly. Gamers are just stupid trololol"

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
yep. elden ring is 'the souls game for people who, up till now, have been afraid of souls games'. the open world format made the game less enclosed/intimidating, more approachable, & convinced a number of people to give it a try...
Somehow I doubt a game 10x as big and 10x as cheap as their previous Souls games made it less intimidating.
What really happened here is that the game was tremendously popular with the YT personalities, plus the community had been perfecting secret hunting and strategy sharing for Souls for a decade. Newcomers didn’t even have to sneeze to find practically the whole game solved for them since day one if anyone got stuck on anything. Plus every cute gamer gurl was streaming it and swinging their sweaty tits on camera while getting pwned by Margit for fifty times in a row.

When we talk about emergent gameplay it's the fact that 2 systemic elements can collide and create something new, an unexpected situation, a tool for the player to use or something like that. I think. Most of what surprises you in BoTW when you play the first time comes from the huge implications that the basic rules and gameplay elements of the game have. Just basically the different powers of Link, physics, interactions and AI.

There is nothing like that in ER. It's a big map with enemies to fight and the memorable moments are the discovery of a new place, or a new boss.

Emergent simply means something comes into prominence. Elden Ring's open world is full of discovery and new things to do around every corner. It's a very dense world, despite being open, and the experiences aren't just copy/paste. New things emerge.

BOTW doesn't have much emphasis on mechanics out in the open world, it's mostly relegated to simple shrine puzzles.

Somehow I doubt a game 10x as big and 10x as cheap as their previous Souls games made it less intimidating.
What really happened here is that the game was tremendously popular with the YT personalities, plus the community had been perfecting secret hunting and strategy sharing for Souls for a decade. Newcomers didn’t even have to sneeze to find practically the whole game solved for them since day one if anyone got stuck on anything. Plus every cute gamer gurl was streaming it and swinging their sweaty tits on camera while getting pwned by Margit for fifty times in a row.
well, by less intimidating, i meant that, come this or that non-boss challenge, there was lots more room to just run away, basically - run away, & either regroup or wander off somewhere else. while you can also do this in the souls games, to an extent, your options are much more wide open in elden ring. also, people like myself who play the souls games much more for the exploration than the challenge, had lots more to explore...

but, hell, yeah - everything you mention certainly didn't hurt...

Last edited:

RoboEight

I feel like the souls games came at a time when games were really starting to become very hand holdy and narrow focused and I think people appreciated the series for being difficult and actually having to figure out what to do. That plus the series has a massive sense of discovery and scale where around every corner is something new which is very appealing and Elden Ring is no different. I always liked how punishing the games were but when you do progress there is such a big sense of accomplishment it's very rewarding. I mean this team could pump out these games and they will sell very well.

fart town usa

Gold Member
We were still in the midst of Covid so people were gaming more and being vocal online about it, people wanted to experience what everyone was talking about. Also was good for salt mining with people screaming for accessibility features (easy mode). Pansies.

It was also great for content on Twitch and YT.

I still can't wrap my head around people saying the game is trash. I get that the Souls formula doesn't appeal to everyone, power to you, but there is so much more to "rolling around in combat" or "wandering aimlessly" that is such a crock of shit uttered by people who suck at the game, sorry but it's true.

Game is GOAT status discussion for sure.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Emergent simply means something comes into prominence. Elden Ring's open world is full of discovery and new things to do around every corner. It's a very dense world, despite being open, and the experiences aren't just copy/paste. New things emerge.

BOTW doesn't have much emphasis on mechanics out in the open world, it's mostly relegated to simple shrine puzzles.
100%.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
We were still in the midst of Covid so people were gaming more and being vocal online about it, people wanted to experience what everyone was talking about. Also was good for salt mining with people screaming for accessibility features (easy mode). Pansies.

It was also great for content on Twitch and YT.

I still can't wrap my head around people saying the game is trash. I get that the Souls formula doesn't appeal to everyone, power to you, but there is so much more to "rolling around in combat" or "wandering aimlessly" that is such a crock of shit uttered by people who suck at the game, sorry but it's true.

Game is GOAT status discussion for sure.

Fart, you know I like you bro and while I agree with most of what you said, I still think that Elden ring was way, way, waaay overhyped for what it was - and this comes from a FROM fan (but not a fanboy).

First of all, technically-wise...it was the usual FROM, it didn't run all that well, the assets reuse was up the whazoo both for graphics/textures AND sounds, the dungeons were Uber repetitive and almost copy/paste in their nature and the typical Dark souls formula didn't change nor evolved that much.
In the end, like many other users have been saying for the past few years (jokingly or not), it really was Dark souls 4 but...with a horse and an open world.
It felt like Dark souls title and played like one with no meaningful changes or surprises (unless you consider horse riding being something exceptional/innovative).

In the end, I really disliked.the game and after the first 20 hours I was on auto-pilot just for the sake of finishing the darned thing - at the very least I got my 60 Eurodollars worth during my almost 100hours playthrough but to say that I enjoyed it would be a lie.

Bloodborne and Sekiro still reign supreme IMO out.of.their latest releases since they were shorter, more focused experiences.

It may sound dramatic from my part but...fuck this game , it was bloated, repetitive and so friggin derivative that I just can't grasp how it became so successful, just like Mugatu said , "I think I'm taking crazy pills" 😁

For.me, it was the.most disappointing game FROM released so far (after DS2).

Cheers

fart town usa

Gold Member
Fart, you know I like you bro and while I agree with most of what you said, I still think that Elden ring was way, way, waaay overhyped for what it was - and this comes from a FROM fan (but not a fanboy).

First of all, technically-wise...it was the usual FROM, it didn't run all that well, the assets reuse was up the whazoo both for graphics/textures AND sounds, the dungeons were Uber repetitive and almost copy/paste in their nature and the typical Dark souls formula didn't change nor evolved that much.
In the end, like many other users have been saying for the past few years (jokingly or not), it really was Dark souls 4 but...with a horse and an open world.
It felt like Dark souls title and played like one with no meaningful changes or surprises (unless you consider horse riding being something exceptional/innovative).

In the end, I really disliked.the game and after the first 20 hours I was on auto-pilot just for the sake of finishing the darned thing - at the very least I got my 60 Eurodollars worth during my almost 100hours playthrough but to say that I enjoyed it would be a lie.

Bloodborne and Sekiro still reign supreme IMO out.of.their latest releases since they were shorter, more focused experiences.

It may sound dramatic from my part but...fuck this game , it was bloated, repetitive and so friggin derivative that I just can't grasp how it became so successful, just like Mugatu said , "I think I'm taking crazy pills" 😁

Cheers
It's all good, no worries.

Codes 208

It's your best game, it's not complex
No, thats still bloodborne.

But this is definitely the best culmination of the souls formula. The hype behind the franchise and the word-to-mouth buzz of it being like BotW but harder definitley helped push this from being a title amongst a niche genre to exploding into goty material

also id argue that sekiro helped push fromsoft into the mindspace of westerners that werent privvy of the soulsborne games initially.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Cheers
Its easy to see the success... first all From fans would play it anyway .. 1 point... than you have the "I'll play anything open world and say is great" crowd ... 2 points... and most important.. with the game being THAT easy .. all the casuals and cry babies could finally say they played and (beat it ?) A Souls game and feel as part of the "club".

It was a perfect storm for this success... a massively well liked franchise that not everybody could play yet.. now being accessible and open world ?????...

I hope that From got all the money they wanted to found other projects and Miyazaki can go and do other things ( souls like) ... but if Elden Ring is what souls will become going forward.. well...as you said it .. fuck this game

Top Bottom