• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Front Mission series - Who, What & Why you should play it

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZA36

Neo Member
I have only played the first one. First for Super Famicom, then I picked up the Japanese copy for DS. I can't read Japanese, but of course most of the game is written in English so it serves as a great intro to the series. This thread may motivate me to get the sequels...

I found a copy of Front Mission DS today and grabbed it - I picked up a new DSi this weekend too, so this will be the first game I'll play on it... guess I'll have to put my Vita down for a little while...

If this singular strategy was enough to carry me through the game, and I found it boring as a result, I'm not going to change my perception of the game based on potentialities that I personally did not experience.

You're trying to bring in some semblance of objective criteria and fact to an arena where it doesn't even have much of a useful place
The stated goal of the FM4 playthrough in question was unlocking and completing the hidden simulators, not how poorly someone can play the game and still reach the ending screen. Recognize that a stated goal is a fundamental part of objective analyzing a playthrough of a game. Your entire tangent is meaningless.

Whether you like or dislike the game is irrelevant, your subjective opinion has nothing to do with it. Please learn the difference between opinion and fact. Unlocking and clearing the hidden FM4 sims is objectively, factually more complex and difficult than your average SRPG, regardless of whether someone found it boring or easy to do so.

That's cool. Is there a patch for it available?
No, there's no translation patch for FM 2089. I don't really recommend playing it unless you're starving for new FM content, as it's basically more of the original FM, which I didn't like that much.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I started FM5. Only played up until the second mission so far but I'm liking it so far. Sucks that only FM3 was released in Europe as I'm gonna miss a lot of the scope I think. First wanted to replay FM3 and pick the second story path this time, but turns out I didn't have my virtual memory cards set up on the PS3 and I couldn't save the progress I had made which kinda killed that momentum.

Uthred

Been trying to play FM5 with PCSX2 but cant seem to avoid graphical issues, the game runs fine using the software emulation but even with anit-aliasing turned on its still a bit jaggy. If I try and use hardware acceleration (DX11 or DX9 and fiddled with all the settings to no avail) then the FMVs look fine (bit of distortion on the subtitles, but nothing major) and the in-game enginge bits look nice and smooth, but as soon as I get into a mission there is a layer of graphical distortion over everything. Anyone figured out a way around this?

If anyone is interested, I just got my copy of Front Mission 5. And I'm streaming it on my Twitch TV channel. www.twitch.tv/KOcast

I have to say, I'm really happy with how easy it was to set up with the English translation patch.

Uthred

Well to answer my own question, using the most recent SVN build (0.9.9.5145) of PCSX2 I've managed to get the game running sort of OK, the cut-scenes are largely fine (some artifacts under the text but nothing that effects legibility), the game maps look fine, but there is still a large amount of distortion in the "combat scenes". Im currently using GSdx SSE41, DX11 Hardware, No Interlacing, 3x Native. Texture Filtering, Allow 8 Bit Textures and Enable HW Hacks are all turned on, AA is at 4X (cranking it up to 16X has no effect on performance or visuals, though it kills framerate if you try and record with FRAPS) and Skipdraw set to 2.

pcsx2r51452012040910355.png

pcsx2r51452012040910362.png

Using the software renderer gets rid of any visual irregularities, but looks fairly rough

Anyone have any better luck?

Loved the original to bits and 3 wasn't too bad. Sadly that's my only run in with the serious for various reasons. Be great to see some of the older ones brought to PSN but there's a fat chance of that happening.

Takuan

Bumping because this is deserving of more love.

With the release of PCSX2 1.0, I finally decided to give FM5 a run. And I am so bad at this. I've only done the first two missions so far, and in each one I managed to lose Damon. I'm a habitual hoarder and tend not to use consumables ever, but it seems all but necessary in this case. The fact that I have no idea how to use the map to my advantage does not help - in the second mission, my guys were friendly-firing each other on counter-attacks due to crap positioning. :lol

Early impressions:

- robust combat mechanics that are simple to understand even for those new to turn-based strategy games
- fast pace to the battles; you can speed everything up by pressing or holding X
- good battle animations; the way mechs move, pivot, attack, and counter-attack is convincing, yet stylish
- solid translation with a surprising amount of humor in the dialog despite what seems to be a serious story
- perhaps the best face modeling I've seen from last gen systems

Really eager to play more, and hopefully get a better grasp of unit spacing/positioning so that I won't keep losing dudes to the AI. Highly recommend this to SRPG & mech fans.

Well to answer my own question, using the most recent SVN build (0.9.9.5145) of PCSX2 I've managed to get the game running sort of OK, the cut-scenes are largely fine (some artifacts under the text but nothing that effects legibility), the game maps look fine, but there is still a large amount of distortion in the "combat scenes". Im currently using GSdx SSE41, DX11 Hardware, No Interlacing, 3x Native. Texture Filtering, Allow 8 Bit Textures and Enable HW Hacks are all turned on, AA is at 4X (cranking it up to 16X has no effect on performance or visuals, though it kills framerate if you try and record with FRAPS) and Skipdraw set to 2.

Anyone have any better luck?
Was the distortion you experienced similar to a ghosting effect? I think this can be seen when running on the PS2 and was intended as a primitive sort of fog effect, but I can't be sure; the fact that we're running the game at multiple times native res may have something to do with it.

On a side note, I can't tell the difference between 8x AA and no AA, but maybe that's just a configuration issue. Either way, the game looks great @ 4x NR with nothing else touched. There are some jaggies and I also see artifacts in the subtitles, but they're not particularly bothersome.

Bumping because this is deserving of more love.

With the release of PCSX2 1.0, I finally decided to give FM5 a run. And I am so bad at this. I've only done the first two missions so far, and in each one I managed to lose Damon. I'm a habitual hoarder and tend not to use consumables ever, but it seems all but necessary in this case. The fact that I have no idea how to use the map to my advantage does not help - in the second mission, my guys were friendly-firing each other on counter-attacks due to crap positioning. :lol

The interesting thing about FM - particularly 3+ - is that it sort of gives back as much as you put in. You absolutely should be using consumables every mission (if for nothing else, missile reloads help a lot!) but everything from Wanzer configuration to positioning and links can be fine-tuned to blaze through missions. Sometimes I spend more time in config than actually playing the level.

Really need to go back and finish 5...

Takuan

The interesting thing about FM - particularly 3+ - is that it sort of gives back as much as you put in. You absolutely should be using consumables every mission (if for nothing else, missile reloads help a lot!) but everything from Wanzer configuration to positioning and links can be fine-tuned to blaze through missions. Sometimes I spend more time in config than actually playing the level.

Really need to go back and finish 5...
Alright, I'll try to shed my hoarder mentality. The reason my guy died each time is because I was too cheap to use a consumable heal on him. :lol

You know, if they released this for Vita in HD, I would definitely buy it. Seems like the perfect platform for it, really. They already have the localization done for them, after all. Wishful thinking. :(

Zwei

You know, if they released this for Vita in HD, I would definitely buy it. Seems like the perfect platform for it, really. They already have the localization done for them, after all. Wishful thinking. :(

I would buy a Vita immediately if Square Enix decided to do this.

Glix: :thumbsup Possibly my favorite campaign ever, I could just playing again and again.

Alright, I'll try to shed my hoarder mentality. The reason my guy died each time is because I was too cheap to use a consumable heal on him. :lol

You have to. A) You're severely cripped without missiles B)Some mechs are designed to just walk in and f-you-up C)Heal packs are just too damn heavy!

Would buy Day -1000

Takuan

You have to. A) You're severely cripped without missiles B)Some mechs are designed to just walk in and f-you-up C)Heal packs are just too damn heavy!
Haha, speaking of mechs walking in and fucking you up... I made the mistake of getting too close to the enemy with my missile guy and he wound up eating it pretty badly because I could never get the enemy back into missile range without exhausting too much AP to attack. I would move Damon as far away as possible and then do nothing, only for the enemy to roll up to him and blast his ass with no fear of a counter-attack. Meanwhile, I would chase with Walter, hoping to kill the enemy unit before he could kill Damon.

Damon died a pathetic death.

Ken

What happened to the OP? Anyways, just bought FM3 on PSN to play on my Vita. Any secrets or cool things I should know before going in? Stuff like secret weapons like the Minotaur Arms in FM4 would be cool.

Also, when do I need to make use of the internet/forum stuff? I randomly entered it early on and I hated how many layers deep it is so I'd like to know if I have to ever bother with it.

Man I'd love a FM4 on Vita.

What happened to the OP? Anyways, just bought FM3 on PSN to play on my Vita. Any secrets or cool things I should know before going in? Stuff like secret weapons like the Minotaur Arms in FM4 would be cool.

Also, when do I need to make use of the internet/forum stuff? I randomly entered it early on and I hated how many layers deep it is so I'd like to know if I have to ever bother with it.

What about a localised FM5 for Vita?! Go on, Square Enix...do something awesome.

FatalT

Banned
I'm definitely going to buy FM3 on PSN after I get some extra money. The $20 voucher I got it going to the new Ratchet game later this month.

zkylon

zkylewd
Front Mission is amazing...

the first one i played was FM 2 for the Playstation with a translated script from gamefaqs back in the day followed with FM Alternative.

i was so happy that FM 3 got a official release here in germany/europe but after that we didn't even got the 4th one and it's really a damn shame that the fifth never got a official release in the west. it was like the best day ever when the fan patch got released.

i sold almost all my video games a few years ago but i will never give away my small front mission shrine ;)

mKUP1.jpg

(crappy phone pic)

and FM Evolved was one of the biggest disappointments ever for me. i liked the idea of a FM action game, but evolved ist just not a good game...

i think the patch doesn't work with the ultimate hits version of the game, keep that in mind when ordering a copy. at least that was the case when the patch got released, no clue if they made a ultimate hits version too in the meantime.
WOW I bow to you.

I mostly played a shitload of FM3, it still blows my mind how different the game was because of a casual choice at the beginning, and I just loved everything about it.

I gotta get around playing the translated version of 5.

Ledsen

What the christ did ctrayne do? Looking at his post history, he went back and deleted tons of his own posts for no apparent reason. Sudden incurable internet paranoia?

Slermy

It's been a long time since I've played it, but I do remember there being a mission fairly late into the game (if you're on the longer campaign of the two) where an elite group is sent after you (I think their mechs are black?). Anyway, those mech items are ONLY available there. So you have to take care while fighting them if you want those pieces.

Sorry, it's pretty vague.

It's been a long time since I've played it, but I do remember there being a mission fairly late into the game (if you're on the longer campaign of the two) where an elite group is sent after you (I think their mechs are black?). Anyway, those mech items are ONLY available there. So you have to take care while fighting them if you want those pieces.

Sorry, it's pretty vague.

Internet access becomes available pretty early on and then unlocks gradually as you play the game. There is a specific wanzer that can only be earned in the game through a secret download, and it has a pretty awesome weapon. If nothing else it's probably worth looking up because the game is so long that trying to get it the 2nd time during your new game+ run could take forever. Gamefaqs has a few network-specific faqs with the passwords if you don't want to spoil things much.

I don't remember anything about specific pieces from combat but it could be true; I never really worried about that stuff though.

Tizoc

Which of the Front Mission games on PSN are worth getting? I notice 2 or 3 of them are available on PSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom